IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, FForbes said:

The first sub used was George Showell on 28th August 1965 away at Manchester City - a 2-2 draw !

Great stat and not a player I particularly recall.

From that date it also appears to be around the same time as Keith Peacock was the first to 'trot on'. If so, was the record we held that we then went on not to make another substitution for ages ? I always thought we were late adopters, not that we tried it and didn't like it. If so, any idea why we went so long without bringing anybody on?

1 hour ago, FForbes said:

The first sub used was George Showell on 28th August 1965 away at Manchester City - a 2-2 draw !

Just looked Showell up and interestingly it was he who also started our record breaking run when he came on (also against Man City) on 5th Feb 66. Next sub we used was Terry Bush against Rotherham on 22nd April 67. Why nothing in between?

23 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Just looked Showell up and interestingly it was he who also started our record breaking run when he came on (also against Man City) on 5th Feb 66. Next sub we used was Terry Bush against Rotherham on 22nd April 67. Why nothing in between?

A single substitute was introduced from season 1965/66 but for 2 seasons a change was only permitted as a result of injury. From season 1967/68 the rules changed to tactical substitutes allowed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FForbes said:

A single substitute was introduced from season 1965/66 but for 2 seasons a change was only permitted as a result of injury. From season 1967/68 the rules changed to tactical substitutes allowed.

I didn't know that, but are you suggesting City went over a year without picking up a 'niggle' on the pitch? They may be old by now but any from that era still alive should be subpoena'd to attend the AG treatment room immediately and explain their secrets!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I didn't know that, but are you suggesting City went over a year without picking up a 'niggle' on the pitch? They may be old by now but any from that era still alive should be subpoena'd to attend the AG treatment room immediately and explain their secrets!

I think it took a bit more than a "niggle" to get players of that era off the pitch permanently ! In 1965/66 there were 8 substitutions, in 1966/67 only 1 (Terry Bush as you noted earlier) and then under the tactical "regime" 16 in 1967/68.

A "useless" fact is that the all time total of substitutions for city is now just about 4600 !

• Like 1

Just got to thinking about how lockdown has ravaged our finances along with every other clubs, but we don't hear anything about the financial issues over at the Mem.  Considering that they were skint even before the pandemic is that not surprising.

Still, I suppose they could sell their ground, if they actually owned it.  How much dosh is Wally pumping in to keep it solvent and how long before he pulls the plug because he finally realises that it is a bottomless swamp that hardly anyone cares about or is interested in?

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Just got to thinking about how lockdown has ravaged our finances along with every other clubs, but we don't hear anything about the financial issues over at the Mem.  Considering that they were skint even before the pandemic is that not surprising.

Still, I suppose they could sell their ground, if they actually owned it.  How much dosh is Wally pumping in to keep it solvent and how long before he pulls the plug because he finally realises that it is a bottomless swamp that hardly anyone cares about or is interested in?

Psychologists term it 'learned helplessness'.

When you've repeated been subject to a negative, adversive and uncontrollable situation you learn to give up, even where circumstance dictates one can get oneself out of the situation.

The Gas know their place and have learned to accept it.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

23 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Wasn't that the game were were 3-0 down with about 10 to go and ended up drawing, either Sharpe or Peters getting the equaliser ?

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Wasn't that the game were were 3-0 down with about 10 to go and ended up drawing, either Sharpe or Peters getting the equaliser ?

I believe it was Sheff Utd away, with Trevor Jacobs getting the equalizer. I remember hanging around the players entrance after a reserve game that day - that's where people would gather to hear the 1st team's final score - and at that point we were told it was still something like 1-3. Got the good news when I arrived home.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Under normal circumstances I should be thinking of a funny retort to your post Wendy.

But I don't think it will be our Mr Al-Quidi who pulls the plug and I fear the ending will be most unpleasant.

39 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Under normal circumstances I should be thinking of a funny retort to your post Wendy.

But I don't think it will be our Mr Al-Quidi who pulls the plug and I fear the ending will be most unpleasant.

Spill the beans Bert - no cryptic stuff - so which creditor is likely to bring down Rovers?

The only person the 'club' owes money to is the owner isn't it?

So what will bring them down Bert?

Serious question - what do you actually know?

On Gaschat, they all seem to think you are a 'Ted' - so lets have some facts, not poorly scripted witty conjecture.

Because if you do know something, I can assure you we are all ears!  ?

56 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Spill the beans Bert - no cryptic stuff - so which creditor is likely to bring down Rovers?

On Gaschat, they all seem to think you are a 'Ted' - so lets have some facts, not poorly scripted witty conjecture.

Could it be be the rent not paid on the London office lease 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

my moneys on the babestation bill...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

I believe it was Sheff Utd away, with Trevor Jacobs getting the equalizer. I remember hanging around the players entrance after a reserve game that day - that's where people would gather to hear the 1st team's final score - and at that point we were told it was still something like 1-3. Got the good news when I arrived home.

Not the one I'm thinking of, deffo Rothers...............it was folk lore for us oldies ,UNTILL the Mansfield away game !

I remember us being 3-0 up at HT  to Sheff U...we drew 3-3 :grr: