IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

.... goading and belittling us.

Yes, same in this family. A beloved aunt, no longer with us, but she did like to decry the club in Bristol that had actually reached the top level, and contested an FA Cup final, made it to League Cup semi finals.

All this whilst not having set foot in Eastville (never mind Trumpton) since about 1959.

Also, used to work with a bloke at Aztec West that "used to go" down Eastville but long since stopped, but he didn't let this get in the way of him spouting off about us. And the bloke next door to him cleaning his car in the rain, I seem to remember. 

And I am now remembering a quite recent work encounter with what might be termed a "millennial" Fewer young chap, in which we struck up a conversation whilst waiting for an electrician to turn up, and on learning he was from Fishponds or some such, I enquired as to his allegiance, to which he answered "Rovers." I probed further, confident in my years of experience, my sharp wit and the current status imbalance and 18 years and all that, looking for some "sport" while we waited, only for him to reveal "I, er, don't actually go."

Oh, right. Where's that leccy to? I pondered, and that was that.

This city is a funny old place. If Big Nige manages to work the longed-for but unlikely miracle here, then a lot of people that are Rovers but don't watch Rovers are going to be upset, but not so upset that they aren't in the clamour for tickets to see Liverpool, Man Utd and all their other "Premiership teams" at AG.

Haha! That last anecdote sums them up.

I had a similar experience when Mrs R and I were house-hunting.  

We went to one place and the male of the house was watching football on telly. "Who do you support?" I asked him. "Oh, er, Bristol Rovers," he replied, a bit sheepishly.

The missus shot me a steely look as she quite liked this property and didn't want me fuhucking up any deal. She needn't have worried. The homeowner took my silence as some sort of invitation to explain and he stammered out: "Well, I, um, er, I say Rovers, but really Liverpool is my team. I just used to like Rovers when I was a kid. I don't even know who manages them these days.."     :laughcont:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Honestly, it was incessant during the 80's.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

I've always found them to be bitter *****.

The only ambition their fans have is to be one place above us and have a stadium with one seat more capacity.

Sadly for them, I think over the years that's rubbed off on the BOD/Chairmen there and instead of being realistic in their ambitions, they've set their goals as being competitive with us. Wherever we are in the league is the extent of their ambition. 

• Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember having to go to school the day after that dicking we got in 1990 - they all came out of the closet that day to make anyone of a City persuasion's life a misery for months on end so for that alone **** em.

Is there an odder-behaved fanbase in the whole of the Football League?  

My mate wore out his VHS player after he kept putting it on every time I went round his house.

I still don't understand why they don't just make the Mem into a decent 12,000 seat stadium... If they had just done one end every few years it would have been all done now.

If they should need the extra seats (prob top half of Championship for a sustained period) look to expand.

They have what they need, and had / have the money... They just can't be happy with what would be appropriate and want unrealistic / unobtainable grand builds.... Really sad.... They should look to FGR, Yeovil and not us... There is no shame in it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I still don't understand why they don't just make the Mem into a decent 12,000 seat stadium... If they had just done one end every few years it would have been all done now.

If they should need the extra seats (prob top half of Championship for a sustained period) look to expand.

They have what they need, and had / have the money... They just can't be happy with what would be appropriate and want unrealistic / unobtainable grand builds.... Really sad.... They should look to FGR, Yeovil and not us... There is no shame in it.

They look at Bristol and split it down the middle. Therefore in their eyes they are potentially massive. Only 20k watch City and that means 440,000 potential Gasheads to pack out their super stadium with student accommodation, running track and a Lidl. ?

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Haha 4

On 24/03/2021 at 10:10, Blackbird1 said:

They are a pox on Bristol, along with the Kill the Bill protesters, but our own form is pretty much diabolical too, losing at home 6 on the trot, Brum, Rotherham etc, IF we were in a postion to mock, fair enough, but we are not.

How long since they were last above us? What league are we in? Absolutely in a position to mock

3 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The season Notts County dropped out of the League there was nothing but glee and abuse on the Forest fans forum.

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Because the Mem is on prime real estate that can be sold for a decent wedge and they hope that they can be given a piece of land for the project free of charge or paid for by OPM.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Because the Mem is on prime real estate that can be sold for a decent wedge and they hope that they can be given a piece of land for the project free of charge or paid for by OPM.

That sums up the difference between Steve Lansdown and literally EVERYONE who has run their rabble. He got shafted on Ashton Vale so rather than say game over he dipped his hand in his pocket and rebuilt Ashton Gate and in doing so has now put himself in a position where he will do alright financially anyway if he chooses. He also owns land at Ashton Vale that will have something built on it in due course anyway. That lot will literally wait 100 more years for a stadium if it means avoiding having to pay for it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

Absolutely nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

That's about the correct scenario, along with, not wanting to over develop the Colony, as adjacent land could get PP for housing, making the Colony more valuable.

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

:clap:

7 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember having to go to school the day after that dicking we got in 1990 - they all came out of the closet that day to make anyone of a City persuasion's life a misery for months on end so for that alone **** em.

Oh my word you’ve just stirred up a memory of how the school hard nut,  at the time , sought me out as I wore my city scarf in to school, the day after that result,  and I promptly got a kick in .. 

apparently he was a gas head but I never knew .. everyone else seemed to be from then on in,  so as not to get on his wrong side .. 

still don’t regret wearing the scarf in now as I knew we’d come good  !!

Edited by Brann-red

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

5 hours ago, 22A said:

The season Notts County dropped out of the League there was nothing but glee and abuse on the Forest fans forum.

That’s not behaving in an ‘odd’ manner - that’s fantastic, good, old fashioned rivalry - why would you think that’s ‘odd behaviour’ @22A??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

The only thing that could have improved this is if the 2 puppets joined in with a chant of “stand up if you hate the gas”.

As for the developing the Mem point, spot on, they winge that BCC has done nothing for them (& still reckon they might in time ?) conveniently forgetting they didn’t lift a finger to help us, either.

In fact they could not have been more obstructive during the whole Ashton Vale saga & if it wasn’t for Steve Lansdown’s patience we would be no further forward.

I said it before, they are just parasites, they add absolutely nothing to sport in the area & I hope they fold. Blue “half” of Bristol ?.

By the way I have seen every single derby game since 1973, so don’t play the “it used to be great” card, either.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Blimey, old Roger Milford refereeing too. I bet the Banjo lot offered him a bung or two. "Oh Rog, you're from our area, love us more than they gurt Ted's pleaaaaaasssseeeee".

Pretty sure that his daughter was married to Ian Willmott which surely would have brought a conflict of interest?

Edited by Gert Mare

3 hours ago, TomF said:

To be fair, Rovers have their own puppet.... Pinnochio.

In fact, as many on here know, they have several Pinnochios.

Porky pie-rats.

"20,000 locked outside"

"Fans of every club in the country love the Gas and reckon we have the loudest/hardest fans and the biggest away following they have ever seen"

"Wael's a multi-billionaire"

• Like 2

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

This thread is big, but its because every single Rovers related post is thrown into it which is a good thing imo. Rather that than a new one every time they lose or something funny happens down there. Which is pretty bloody often. 

46 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

It was eventually deleted as that was a season where we started poorly but got our act together and ended up mid-table, whereas they started well but fell away and ended up getting relegated. What a bunch of plonkers.

6 hours ago, TomF said:

Here is a better version.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gBlQuUYjEl8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Flames 3