Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

I'm NOT obsessed with The Gas. I've no clue who they are playing next Saturday, I've no idea where they are in League 1, I havent any idea whether or not they have forked out any cash for a transfer fee yet since Wael took over... and what's more I don't care. There are far more important things to occupy my mind than that lot across the river. **** 'em. Don't care.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'm NOT obsessed with The Gas. I've no clue who they are playing next Saturday, I've no idea where they are in League 1, I havent any idea whether or not they have forked out any cash for a transfer fee yet since Wael took over... and what's more I don't care. There are far more important things to occupy my mind than that lot across the river. **** 'em. Don't care.

This thread probably isn't for you then :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
14 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

It amuses in a bored moment, but you're probably right. I have friends who are Gas (a fair portion tbh). I don't ram our recent history down their throat, and they aren't too keen either apparently

I have plenty of friends who are City (although obviously I could never count them as close mates :))

The thing is I think only real football fans get the rivalry thing. I have mellowed in my old age and don't stress so much over how City are doing but I absolutely still want them to lose every single game. It's not a jealousy thing, I don't wish I was a red or anything like that it just seems that part of loving Rovers is disliking City to me, that isn't something that was drummed into me as a kid , my dad wasn't interested in football and any of his family who were, were all Celtic, and on my mum's side they were mostly Millwall/Palace etc.

The one thing that does annoy me about Bristol rivalry is at times like now, when City are flying, you get people who have previously shown no interest, start having a pop at me (this has happened a few times over the years) for not supporting Bristol football when in actual fact I do support Bristol football and have done for 40 odd years spending my money on a relatively unsuccessful football club while they have gone shopping on a Saturday but they suddenly think football is great because a team from their home town beat Manchester United! 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I have plenty of friends who are City (although obviously I could never count them as close mates :))

The thing is I think only real football fans get the rivalry thing. I have mellowed in my old age and don't stress so much over how City are doing but I absolutely still want them to lose every single game. It's not a jealousy thing, I don't wish I was a red or anything like that it just seems that part of loving Rovers is disliking City to me, that isn't something that was drummed into me as a kid , my dad wasn't interested in football and any of his family who were, were all Celtic, and on my mum's side they were mostly Millwall/Palace etc.

The one thing that does annoy me about Bristol rivalry is at times like now, when City are flying, you get people who have previously shown no interest, start having a pop at me (this has happened a few times over the years) for not supporting Bristol football when in actual fact I do support Bristol football and have done for 40 odd years spending my money on a relatively unsuccessful football club while they have gone shopping on a Saturday but they suddenly think football is great because a team from their home town beat Manchester United! 

Really ? Overstatement of the decade there Miah :laughcont:

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

:laughcont: not like you lot to exaggerate. 1990 to be exact, every year before and after has been shambolic to be fair

It still hurts like hell, because I had a gas fiancée at the time (it didn’t last!) but you do realise we lost to them five times in the 1990s?!

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It still hurts like hell, because I had a gas fiancée at the time (it didn’t last!) but you do realise we lost to them five times in the 1990s?!

In general we dominated them though and they didn’t last long in the championship or whatever it was called then. They haven’t been in the second tier for 25 years or so . Quarter of a century :laughcont: but according to a lot of them they’ve a divine right to be a championship club. 

15 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Even in the 1990s, we finished above them seven times to their three, and beat them nine times to their five.

That almost sounds like they actually used to compete with us..... 20 odd years ago..!! 

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

In general we dominated them though and they didn’t last long in the championship or whatever it was called then. They haven’t been in the second tier for 25 years or so . Quarter of a century :laughcont: but according to a lot of them they’ve a divine right to be a championship club. 

That’ll be the sprinklers..! 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I quite enjoyed the 90s :)

I’m sure you did, because since then it’s all gone a bit pear shaped, hasn’t it..?! 

At least it looks highly likely that, come next season, you will now see Rovers fans (not many) gathered in the pub, legally purchasing & consuming alcohol, that will have never existed the last time you sat above us in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Even in the 1990s, we finished above them seven times to their three, and beat them nine times to their five.

That's the thing, isn't it. people like Miah (Rovers fans), as amiable as he is, make statements about how they quite liked the 90s. In reality, they were still the lower achievers of the two underachieving clubs of Bristol. That's their measure of success, beating us three times in a ten year period. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I quite enjoyed the 90s :)

Ah the gold old 1990’s eh..! 

The days when you lot used to harp on about having never been in the basement division of the football league. 

Not like this horrible millennium, when you have an open top bus tour to celebrate getting into it..! 

#MindTheGap

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always have a look at this thread for the latest comedy instalment.

I couldn't tell you who the sags have got next, likewise I am hard pressed to name any of their players apart from the tramp for obvious light hearted reasons.

Rivalry? They would give anything to rival us but in truth they are so far behind in every sense that any attempt just makes them look even more desperate.

They would do far better in trying to get their own house in order first.

The great thing about rivalry is that despite you being in a league cup semi final  and having beaten one of the biggest teams in the world to get there, then very nearly getting a draw at a club that is probably currently one of the biggest teams in the world AND having a very decent chance of playing in the biggest league in the world next season, is that me mentioning the fact that we had you over a few times nearly 30 years ago still gets on yer nerves :)

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Swede said:

I always have a look at this thread for the latest comedy instalment.

I couldn't tell you who the sags have got next, likewise I am hard pressed to name any of their players apart from the tramp for obvious light hearted reasons.

Rivalry? They would give anything to rival us but in truth they are so far behind in every sense that any attempt just makes them look even more desperate.

They would do far better in trying to get their own house in order first.

I doubt they harbour any realistic hope of rivalling us, anymore. 

They just hope that we fail. That will do for them. 

In fact, as proven by recent social media postings, apparently us losing 2-1 away Vs Man City was a reason for great joy..!!?!

Edited by Bar BS3
2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The great thing about rivalry is that despite you being in a league cup semi final  and having beaten one of the biggest teams in the world to get there, then very nearly getting a draw at a club that is probably currently one of the biggest teams in the world AND having a very decent chance of playing in the biggest league in the world next season, is that me mentioning the fact that we had you over a few times nearly 30 years ago still gets on yer nerves :)

Oh it really doesn’t!! 

It’s quite nice to remember the days when we used to play against clubs like yours. 

8 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Oh I think it does :)

Painful memories for those of us that were there Miah (I was) but we've moved on hugely from the club we were then, whereas you, with the greatest respect, haven't. It doesn't 'get on my nerves' anymore but gives me a sanctimonious glow that we have grown to a totally different animal nowadays. We spent far too many years comparing ourselves to you lot when we should have been looking at the bigger picture, something we have now learned to do. Your capitulation has helped as with clear water we could see the folly of our ways. Now the gulf between our clubs is as big as I can remember and I was around in the first division days. The setup of this club has NEVER been stronger, that's why we are so damn confident, something that must cheese you lot off something terrible! 

If something that happened 28 years ago gives you a slight glow of satisfaction, knock yourself out, it won't bother us anymore. 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I've no idea, but it just does.

I’m trying, but I really can’t remember what it feels like to lose to you. 

I’m sure that it was annoying, evening saddening, at the time, but nope..... I feel nothing now. 

I think any ingrained hurt you may have inflicted on us all got washed away as Colin Daniel hit the back of the net (in your own kit) and sent you further down than any of us had ever dreamt possible. 

Anyway, congratulations on clawing your way back to where you were in the 1980’s. Great achievement! 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Painful memories for those of us that were there Miah (I was) but we've moved on hugely from the club we were then whereas you, with the greatest respect, haven't. It doesn't 'get on my nerves' anymore but gives me a sanctimonious glow that we have grown to a totally different level nowadays. We spent far too many years comparing ourselves to you lot when we should have been looking at the bigger picture, something we have now learned to do. Your capitulation has helped as with clear water we could see the folly of our ways. Now the gulf between our clubs is as big as I can remember and I was around in the first division days. 

If something that happened 28 years ago gives you a slight glow of satisfaction, knock yourself out, it won't bother us anymore. 

Are you sure?

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m trying, but I really can’t remember what it feels like to lose to you. 

I’m sure that it was annoying, evening saddening, at the time, but nope..... I feel nothing now. 

I think any ingrained hurt you may have inflicted on us all got washed away as Colin Daniel hit the back of the net (in your own kit) and sent you further down than any of us had ever dreamt possible. 

Anyway, congratulations on clawing your way back to where you were in the 1980’s. Great achievement! 

You're still dreaming of clawing your way back to where you were in the 1970s :)

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Are you sure?

You know it doesn’t! That’s you you’ve all latched on to the utterly irrelivent love in with Dean Windass. 

You know you can’t bother us anymore, so you’ll latch on to anything and anyone that can. 

Does that say just about everything about your position nowadays..? 

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You're still dreaming of clawing your way back to where you were in the 1970s :)

We are indeed. And if you think that is a parallel comparison, then you are clearly supporting exactly the right Club..!

A match made in heaven!