Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

4 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Here they go again 😂........

The MEM is a ******* awful stadium, l have been to every ground in the EFL and ours is definitely in the bottom 5. With no training ground and a Chairman who does not give a ****: BRFC have no chance of keeping it’s better players, while attracting so called “marquee players” , unfortunate but true. The only premier League thing about Rovers are the magnificent supporters.

and here's Billy bullshitter......

Over the last 18 months I have spoken to at least 3 fans who moved to Bristol with their jobs, none of them had any alleagence to either of the 2 Bristol clubs but as football fans visited both grounds.
Whist they said Ashton gate was premier league standard they all preferred the match day experience & atmosphere at the Mem , one of them even now travels on the supporters club away coaches , so perhaps state of the art stadiums aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Strange. I’ve seen several (certainly more than 3) away fans describing a visit to the Mem in slightly less favourable terms..! 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

When I moved to London I went to Dulwich Hamlet games despite living closer to Fulham, Chelsea, and even Wimbledon. Dulwich are vastly inferior to those teams and their ground is barely better than the Mem (although there aren't any tents).

Why did I go? It was £8 and you could drink whilst watching the game.

Would I ever have said Dulwich were a bigger club than the ones mentioned above? Absolutely not.

A friend of my mine got a job move from Trowbridge to London... he bought a flat in Dulwich with his wife and now considers  them his local team, goes to most home games. I’ve been up for a couple of Dulwich games myself and it’s a really enjoyable day out ... especially as you can stand behind the goal with a pint in hand !!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

A friend of my mine got a job move from Trowbridge to London... he bought a flat in Dulwich with his wife and now considers  them his local team, goes to most home games. I’ve been up for a couple of Dulwich games myself and it’s a really enjoyable day out ... especially as you can stand behind the goal with a pint in hand !!

The Toilet's Opposite Stand at Champion Hill is, in my opinion, one of the greatest stands in the country.

4 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Yes, of course. They haven't averaged over 10,000 since the mid 1970s, but they'd defeinitely be getting 28,000 every week if they were in the Championship :laugh:

I wonder why he picked 28,000? Could it be because our capacity is 27,000? :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

you could drink whilst watching the game.

Judging by their attendances it looks as though these days, a lot of Rovers supporters have chosen to drink instead of watching the game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Judging by their attendances it looks as though these days, a lot of Rovers supporters have chosen to drink instead of watching the game. 

Apparently they go to bicycle races, festivals and stand in car parks, instead of watching the games. 

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would be interested to know just how wide your social circle would need to be to meet three people that moved to Bristol for work, decided to go to both Bristol clubs before choosing one to follow and then all chose the ramshackle bunch.

That Henbury bloke must meet a lot of people!

Hahahaha, I know... what a bullshitter!

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Here's another saggie on facebook, telling anyone who will listen, how special their support is. It's now 46,000 that went to the Millenium Stadium! Is it just me, or does that number creep up every year? How long before it's 50k?

And how many went to Wembley for their non league final? Any official figures given anywhere, because I'm almost certain it was quite a bit less than 30k.

Screenshot_2019-07-17-19-59-40-626_com.facebook.katana.png

Yeah but it's not glory hunting though.....they just won't come back until Rovers are winning every week and walking promotion each season. Totally different obviously 

Plastic, hypocritical *****

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Yes, of course. They haven't averaged over 10,000 since the mid 1970s, but they'd defeinitely be getting 28,000 every week if they were in the Championship :laugh:

Amazing really, only ever had 20k plus crowds at a time when pretty much every football club in the country had big crowds, 40+ years of sub 10k averages even in L1 when they've been doing reasonably well, can't fill their tiny ground now

BUT

Give them a stadium that happens to have a capacity 1k more than ours and all of a sudden their 'massive' support comes out of the woodwork week in week out.

Either...they're plastic as **** and will only watch their team if they've got a nice comfy seat to sit in OR those fans don't exist.

Deluded morons. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Strange. I’ve seen several (certainly more than 3) away fans describing a visit to the Mem in slightly less favourable terms..! 

Like Barnet fans?

Spitting as well, dirty bastards

43283726-F8FF-449F-9D91-12AD612641F7.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Amazing really, only ever had 20k plus crowds at a time when pretty much every football club in the country had big crowds, 40+ years of sub 10k averages even in L1 when they've been doing reasonably well, can't fill their tiny ground now

BUT

Give them a stadium that happens to have a capacity 1k more than ours and all of a sudden their 'massive' support comes out of the woodwork week in week out.

Either...they're plastic as **** and will only watch their team if they've got a nice comfy seat to sit in OR those fans don't exist.

Deluded morons. 

A case of if you pretend to build it they will pretend to come.

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

13 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Like Barnet fans?

Spitting as well, dirty bastards

43283726-F8FF-449F-9D91-12AD612641F7.jpeg

Ah but in fairness, we never play Barnet. If we played Barnet regularly then I’ve no doubt whatsoever that this same fan would prefer Rovers to us. 

• Haha 4

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

2 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

Exactly this, I honestly don't know what there moaning about . Massive club.

7 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

Every player from what squad went on to play in the top tier..?

Is that correct..? Incredible if true, but surely not every player in a Bristol Rovers squad went on to play at the top table..?! 

Rather funny that no “current” Rovers player has ever played there.... but is his claim true or is it the usual deluded lies..?! 

10 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

We were forced out because we didn't own the site - Didn’t they flog it to the Greyhound Co?. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now (Stole) a stadium."

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would be interested to know just how wide your social circle would need to be to meet three people that moved to Bristol for work, decided to go to both Bristol clubs before choosing one to follow and then all chose the ramshackle bunch.

That Henbury bloke must meet a lot of people!

To be fair my boss did exactly that but it was around 1970 and in all the time I've worked for him all he's ever done is moan about them 😂😂

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Every player from what squad went on to play in the top tier..?

Is that correct..? Incredible if true, but surely not every player in a Bristol Rovers squad went on to play at the top table..?! 

Rather funny that no “current” Rovers player has ever played there.... but is his claim true or is it the usual deluded lies..?! 

Don't think so....

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7722/where-are-they-now-bristol-rovers-division-three-champions-1989-90/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

For every 3 they claim we probably have 100 new fans who prefer AG as attendances will back up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

Brian Parkin, didn't he go on to play for Man Utd?

Then there was Carl Saunders, he hit the big time when he went on to play for England after his large transfer to Liverpool

Of course Billy Clark was fantastic at Chelsea, didn't he lay on the ball for Di Matteo in the FA Cup final.

Not like the sags to be factually incorrect is it.

As for owning a "stadium" well I know someone who owns a "stadium" which runs stock car and demolition derbies, its a ramshackle dump but he still calls it a stadium. Unlike the sags, he owns it unlike some faceless offshore company hiding behind a veil of secrecy.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

22BA7712-F483-432B-9E5F-5A37971FC26F.jpeg

How professional they are . Shame for Frome as rovers huge travelling numbers keep clubs like Frome going . ******* tinpot idiots 

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

And how many went to Wembley for their non league final? Any official figures given anywhere, because I'm almost certain it was quite a bit less than 30k.

The official twitter site of the pub league - Van thingy - said on the day of the game the Few had sold 27,000 tickets.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

22BA7712-F483-432B-9E5F-5A37971FC26F.jpeg

😂😂😂

Yet they claim to be a Professional Football Club.

Another gift to add to the collection, what an utter shambles that lot are.

47 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

More Gas bullsh.....logic. Try 5 and 3 of those were taken by Francis to QPR (Yates, White, Penrice). Hollowhead played for Wimbledon and guess who ??? QPR and the other one was a decent player Nigel Martyn. The rest disappeared into lower league football.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That's what I really don't get.

They claim to be the most loyal fans in the world, but at the same time they say that if they had a lovely new stadium, their support would suddenly treble. So basically, two thirds of their supporters will only watch them if they get a nice comfy seat...

#gaslogic

• Like 1

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

• Aubergine 1
  • Unicorn 1
  • Robin 1
  • Hedgehog 2
  • Rovers 12

I'm going to use Gaslogic and state as fact, if we get to the premier league and we extend Ashton Gate we will get an average of 67200 (gaslogic 28000/10000 = 2.8

2.8 x 24000 = 67200)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bristolmoose said:

Seriously? How the hell does that happen?

To be fair, City have regularly played two preseason games on the same night in previous years. The difference being we actually had enough players to do it!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Threshermachine said:

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

Rovers have only been a league club since 2015, of that counts..?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, archie andrews said:

**** off back to gas works or whatever poxy name its called......

Haha lets not feed the posters insecurities. I really do not get why they think calling us 82 and such is an insult. Quite embarrassing really....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

To be fair, City have regularly played two preseason games on the same night in previous years. The difference being we actually had enough players to do it!!

Yep, and Leeds just managed to play two on the same day and in different countries. 

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Haha lets not feed the posters insecurities. I really do not get why they think calling us 82 and such is an insult. Quite embarrassing really....

In reality, it just shows that in 37 years we’ve achieved more than they have in 138...

• Like 3

Well, the way some talk on here about 1894 v 1897 - perhaps it’s worth pointing out that the team called Bristol Rovers didn’t exist until 1899 ...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Keith Welch said:

.Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
."

Bristol city 1976 squad?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Keith Welch said:

Is this for real?! Who was the ex-England manager in charge of them in 1990?! And every member of that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football?! Did they?! Which club did David Mehew play for in the top tier?! And Ian Alexander?! And....and....and...and....good grief ... 

48 minutes ago, Threshermachine said:

Ha, Brilliant.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is this for real?! Who was the ex-England manager in charge of them in 1990?! And every member of that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football?! Did they?! Which club did David Mehew play for in the top tier?! And Ian Alexander?! And....and....and...and....good grief ... 

And Tony Pounder, Big Dev himself, Geoff Twentyman... Of course. If Carlsberg did crap..... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He means that Gerry the Mullet played for England, I think. 

His players top flight claims is just bollocks..!