Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

I remember an evening back in the early 70s when we played the Gloucestershire Senior Professional Cup Final at Eastville, in the  days when it was a big deal and both teams put out a first team. Our forward line scored the first four leaving Skirton, no 7, the odd one out and they fed him until he got the fifth...happy days and not much has changed. 

I remember being stood on the Tote that evening surrounded seemingly only by City supporters. When the final whistle went, I had the place virtually to myself as everyone else seemed to be on or around the pitch.

I had a very happy walk back to St George that night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WessexPest said:

That was deliverance - we had almost forgotten how it felt to beat the Gash at that point and it all looked bleak again until the Skellington had his spotkick saved.

Then LD stoops to conquer and three quarters of the ground do their collective nut.

More like 7/8 I would think, surely they didn't have all the PE ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

and me !

Was there too.

Middle of the Tote End and then tip-toeing through the tulips.

Not quite up there with the Coventry and Forest  but ‘we do’ away night matches don’t we!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2019 at 13:28, pride of the west said:

6 years ago today they told us they had their new stadium. We're still laughing now

I never want to play them again.

Rivalry is built on sharing a common theme whether that be location or league but the only thing we share is the city's name.

It would definately be a no win scenario for us such is the sizemic gap between both clubs on and off the pitch and that is ever widening with all of the progress we make as a club just tends to highlight all of their pitiful ineptitude going in the opposite direction.

I am at the stage where I now don't even see them as a rival anymore just a laughing stock to poke fun at and ridicule.

Deep down they are bitter and envious, they know we have everything they don't  have so much so that a victory for them is us losing, irrespective of how their team's done. Seemingly I don't know another city/town with the same moronic mentality.  Like I said green with envy and a constant reminder of how bitter they are.

If you engage in any sort of debate with one, like a lemming, they can only retort with "shithead" when they quickly run out of ideas 

.

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I remember being stood on the Tote that evening surrounded seemingly only by City supporters. When the final whistle went, I had the place virtually to myself as everyone else seemed to be on or around the pitch.

I had a very happy walk back to St George that night!

 

Hmmm, before you were married I presume?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

I remember an evening back in the early 70s when we played the Gloucestershire Senior Professional Cup Final at Eastville, in the  days when it was a big deal and both teams put out a first team. Our forward line scored the first four leaving Skirton, no 7, the odd one out and they fed him until he got the fifth...happy days and not much has changed. 

1969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

So a manager given a 5 year contract wouldn't be able to be sacked even if he took a Premier League club into non-league?

I wonder why Holloway would want to avoid managers being sacked.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

So a manager given a 5 year contract wouldn't be able to be sacked even if he took a Premier League club into non-league?

I wonder why Holloway would want to avoid managers being sacked.....

It is a difficult question isn't it, I wonder why.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

Would that be the same Ian Holloway that’s been sacked from most of his jobs..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

Conversely, Managers who sign a contract with a club should honour that commitment, not jump out at the first opportunity.......isn't that right Ian *cough* Plymouth *cough*

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

So a manager given a 5 year contract wouldn't be able to be sacked even if he took a Premier League club into non-league?

I wonder why Holloway would want to avoid managers being sacked.....

This is a great idea, one I feel should be extended to all walks of life. It would be great if I could stop trying do a good job and just relax in the knowledge that I won't be sacked until my contract runs out. As I am not on a Fixed Term Contract, this can continue until the end of my working life. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yeah he prefers to Ashton Gate as well I heard. Seriously thought he isn't gonna come out and say it looks like a rugby stadium had a baby with a circus tent is he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Oh come on, he must have got mixed up surely? We know the Gas consistently take pictures and video with our ground in the background, it must be easy to get confused. I love how the article says "Its canvas tents and open terraces can often split opinion" Split? Who are the odd dozen people who don't think it's a shit pit? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Wow, how disappointed is he going to be when he turns up and realises they don't actually play at Ashton Gate! :laugh:

They should invite him down early and take him on a tour of their training ground too.......................... oh wait..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh come on, he must have got mixed up surely? We know the Gas consistently take pictures and video with our ground in the background, it must be easy to get confused. I love how the article says "Its canvas tents and open terraces can often split opinion" Split? Who are the odd dozen people who don't think it's a shit pit? 

the only thing that splits is my sides when laughing at everything they do - anyone who thinks that the Minimal is a 'magnificent stadium' (and using the word 'stadium' must contravene the Trades Descriptions Act surely), should seek medical advice as they are not quite in total possession of their faculties) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why isn't it a place they can call theirs after owning it for more or less 20 years, basically a quarter of a century? After they stole the ground (would have loved a forensic financial investigation) halted all further developments, didn't maintain properly, and almost caused the rugby club to go extinct with pure greed and short termism, surely it's all of their own making. 

They have had a prime asset for so long and have now squandered it all. I have no real sympathy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rinkadink said:

Why isn't it a place they can call theirs after owning it for more or less 20 years, basically a quarter of a century? After they stole the ground (would have loved a forensic financial investigation) halted all further developments, didn't maintain properly, and almost caused the rugby club to go extinct with pure greed and short termism, surely it's all of their own making. 

They have had a prime asset for so long and have now squandered it all. I have no real sympathy.

Too right.

Arthur Holmes in the dock the ***.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I think they missed “end” off the end of his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"They're a strong team, they've got a great crowd and a magnificent stadium and pitch.

"With all that, it should be a really good game."

This is just standard bull that all managers spout before a match to show 'respect' for the opposition and a caveat in case they lose.

And to be honest it is the manager of Accrington with a fraction of their money and fans.

If it was Pep Klopp or whatever his name is saying that it would have more clout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

"They're a strong team, they've got a great crowd and a magnificent stadium and pitch.

"With all that, it should be a really good game."

This is just standard bull that all managers spout before a match to show 'respect' for the opposition and a caveat in case they lose.

And to be honest it is the manager of Accrington with a fraction of their money and fans.

If it was Pep Klopp or whatever his name is saying that it would have more clout.

I just think the guy does sarcasm at a top level.

He must be laughing his head off that this made the ‘ paper ‘.

Edited by Major Isewater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Magnificent stadium”?!? What are you babbling on about, man! What’s his yardstick for impressive buildings - has he just come back off holidaying in the Bahamas or summat?

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I just think the guy does sarcasm at a top level.

He must be laughing his head off that this made the ‘ paper ‘.

If Accrington turn up at Ashton Gate at 1.30pm we'll understand his mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

“Magnificent stadium”?!? What are you babbling on about, man! What’s his yardstick for impressive buildings - has he just come back off holidaying in the Bahamas or summat?

tina fey titus GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

“Magnificent stadium”?!? What are you babbling on about, man! What’s his yardstick for impressive buildings - has he just come back off holidaying in the Bahamas or summat?

Accrington Stanley's ground.  Magnificence is relative.

dsc01155.jpg

dsc01187.jpg?w=300&h=225

dsc01154.jpg

https://gibbos92.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/accrington-stanley-fc-the-crown-ground/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 42nite said:

Maybe a good idea for the driver to check he's been given the correct postcode for his satnav!

 

 

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Down at the gate now.  The Accrington team bus has just arrived amidst a state of panic and confusion.

 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

If Accrington turn up at Ashton Gate at 1.30pm we'll understand his mistake. 

 

The driver won't have any problems as he has carefully watched all their promotional videos ...

GasGirls.jpg.3a33b0f7ed58f9309c03e1d3e3ba878b.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

the only thing that splits is my sides when laughing at everything they do - anyone who thinks that the Minimal is a 'magnificent stadium' (and using the word 'stadium' must contravene the Trades Descriptions Act surely), should seek medical advice as they are not quite in total possession of their faculties) 

Tedium or Staydumb, would be more accurate than "Stadium".

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

“Magnificent stadium”?!? What are you babbling on about, man! What’s his yardstick for impressive buildings - has he just come back off holidaying in the Bahamas or summat?

With the greatest respect people died in that hurricane.

Tact obviously not your forte.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

Will the EFL introduce a "fit & proper person" requirement for Managers? I can think of several who'd fail!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

A brand new stand has been erected at Chernobyl for this weekend's big game...

Screenshot_20190906-184558_Facebook.jpg

Mandatory FIFA decontamination pod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

A brand new stand has been erected at Chernobyl for this weekend's big game...

Screenshot_20190906-184558_Facebook.jpg

I wonder if the cans of Pepsi in the machine behind are out of date?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City ladies could be the 2nd best supported club in Bristol. Let’s see if they get more than the rovers had against Cheltenham. :laughcont:

That'll please them. 

At least they can say they have more fingers though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

With the greatest respect people died in that hurricane.

Tact obviously not your forte.

Yes, they did. 

He's not making fun of them or belittling their suffering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

No but he used it as the basis of a "joke".

If you can't see that's crass, I'm afraid the issue is yours, not mine.

To be fair anywhere up to 35’000 people could have died from the impact of Chernobyl yet nobody queries that or the memes that have appeared from the 3.6 roetgen line. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pheasant plucker said:

No but he used it as the basis of a "joke".

If you can't see that's crass, I'm afraid the issue is yours, not mine.

To quote Ricky Gervais

"Offence can only be taken, not given"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read Hollowhead’s latest column in the Post.

His latest rambling is that clubs should be mandated to keep their managers for the duration of their contract, no matter what.

What an absolute crackpot. I have no idea why anyone gives this guy any airspace (in more ways than one!).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/abuse-middlesbroughs-jonathan-woodgate-derby-3289501

They give him airspace to be a contrarian and a "character". He's just delivering on his contract. Ignore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...