Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

3rd May 2014 … Bristol Rovers 0  Mansfield Town 1 

...now THAT is what I'd call a result to ridicule!  😉

Great title for a Rovers CD

Sir CD

20 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

MY EARS, MY EARS!! That is truly awful! :nono:

Was he really a gashead? No wonder he jumped off a roof.

He wasn't. He was performing at the Hippodrome and someone from Rovers approached to make the record for a fee; he agreed. Football club singles by celebs were a thing in those days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Well when it cones criminal records …  they've got it covered...  

https://youtu.be/0r8afyJjOsM 

....and it uncovers gems like this...

@LordRassy You obvioulsy have no knowledge of anything at all. Bristol roves and uwe are building a ground together, neither are renting it to the other. It will be joint owned. Your an idiot
  • Like 1

Couple here saying how SL would kick up a fuss if Ree’s does in fact help them with their next pipe dream. Strange how not a single one of them mentions how their shitty little club went crying to BCC about how unfair it was if they helped City without helping them too.

I hope SL whinges and bitches just as they did back then. Reap what you sow Sags, reap what you sow......

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/15297/radio-interview-marvin-rees?page=3

Edited by BCFC11
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

-super-

with a small 's' 

Some peeps will, some peeps won't

Some peeps spell it with a small S, and some peeps dont

Looks like I got it wrong again, I don't know why

Some spells it proper,  then they tells I .

With thanks to a song by  Weston -super- Mare   RACEY  1979.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Couple here saying how SL would kick up a fuss if Ree’s does in fact help them with their next pipe dream. Strange how not a single one of them mentions how their shitty little club went crying to BCC about how unfair it was if they helped City without helping them too.

I hope SL whinges and bitches just as they did back then. Reap what you sow Sags, reap what you sow......

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/15297/radio-interview-marvin-rees?page=3

I love that they believe it's going to happen. Then start chucking figures around like Monopoly money . All from a club that took 9 months to put up a TV bracket. 

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I love that they believe it's going to happen. Then start chucking figures around like Monopoly money . All from a club that took 9 months to put up a TV bracket. 

Unless the person/people behind this so say rumoured takeover are Sag’s themselves then I can’t see anybody else who’s thick enough to chuck their money at a pile of shite like them?

32 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Unless the person/people behind this so say rumoured takeover are Sag’s themselves then I can’t see anybody else who’s thick enough to chuck their money at a pile of shite like them?

Agreed.

There are three things going on and it isn't clear firstly whether any will happen and secondly to what extent they are connected.

Buy and redevelop the fruit market site including, but very much not limited to, a football ground.

Sale and / or redevelop the Memorial Ground.

Sale of the football club.

They can all happen independently: new developers build on the fruit market site and include a football ground, Al Qs exercise their charge on the Mem and build on it, group of local businessmen buy the football club without a ground.

If you structure it like that then you can see it as being a reasonable plan; though it would leave Rovers renting a ground at the fruit market rather than owning a ground.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed.

There are three things going on and it isn't clear firstly whether any will happen and secondly to what extent they are connected.

Buy and redevelop the fruit market site including, but very much not limited to, a football ground.

Sale and / or redevelop the Memorial Ground.

Sale of the football club.

They can all happen independently: new developers build on the fruit market site and include a football ground, Al Qs exercise their charge on the Mem and build on it, group of local businessmen buy the football club without a ground.

If you structure it like that then you can see it as being a reasonable plan; though it would leave Rovers renting a ground at the fruit market rather than owning a ground.

I think every scenario leaves the sags not owning a ground ( History repeats itself  ) Unless there actually is a multi-millionaire Gas supporter yet to announce himself to the adoring masses 😎

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think every scenario leaves the sags not owning a ground ( History repeats itself  ) Unless there actually is a multi-millionaire Gas supporter yet to announce himself to the adoring masses 😎

Yes, exactly.

I think this became the inevitable outturn when UWE failed; the level of internal debt accumulated since that happened now comfortably exceeds the value of the Memorial ground so it will have to be sold.

Some wealthy local businessmen, maybe even Higgs again, will buy the football club without the ground and Rovers will go back to Twerton.

I don't know any Rovers fans these days but maybe, as with Brexit, it woud be better to just get it over with so that they can move on.  They certaiinly need a change of ownership or you can see them going down the same road as Coventry.

Jeff Bezos is not suddenly going to develop an affinity for da famous quarters.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Is that even enough these days? If you are going to do it properly you probably need to be looking at close to £50m and you wouldn't want that to be more than around 10% of your personal wealth. People with that kind of wealth don't suddenly appear from nowhere, there would already be rumours and suggestions in the air.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Some wealthy local businessmen, maybe even Higgs again, will buy the football club without the ground and Rovers will go back to Twerton.

If Bath City get their way, Twerton will be too good for them by then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They certaiinly need a change of ownership or you can see them going down the same road as Coventry.

As long as they don't try to ground share with us. Essentially, balls to them. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that even enough these days? If you are going to do it properly you probably need to be looking at close to £50m and you wouldn't want that to be more than around 10% of your personal wealth. People with that kind of wealth don't suddenly appear from nowhere, there would already be rumours and suggestions in the air.

Luckily for them, a £50 million investment would only be about 5% of their owners wealth wouldn't it........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

Luckily for them, a £50 million investment would only be about 5% of their owners wealth wouldn't it........

A bit of dissent over there to the council allegedly bankrolling the *****

With the infrastructure they have and the running costs they incur, I would be amazed if any investors were interested.

There might be people who would build and rent them a stadium, but as others have said, unless someone wants a low value vanity project, they would just be pissing money up the wall and with the FFP (and lower league equivalent) their progress is going to be a lot slower without a new stadium.

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

As long as they don't try to ground share with us. Essentially, balls to them. 

Agreed.

Ground sharing with your rivals never ends well.

Back in the 90s I asked a Crystal Palace fan why they had such an intense and nasty rivalry with Brighton, a club fifty miles away, rather than the much closer Charlton or Millwall.

He said it all started when Palace let Brighton groundshare and ever since they have been enemies.

I do not share the huge dislike that many on here have for the gas (and we're all entitled to our opinions, I'm not saying anybody's wrong) but letting them groundshare would be asking for trouble.  No, just no.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

With the infrastructure they have and the running costs they incur, I would be amazed if any investors were interested.

There might be people who would build and rent them a stadium, but as others have said, unless someone wants a low value vanity project, they would just be pissing money up the wall and with the FFP (and lower league equivalent) their progress is going to be a lot slower without a new stadium.

Plymouth was ina similar mess seven or eight years ago, looking at dropping out of the league and either in or going into administration.  A local property developer, James Brent, stepped up to buy them and he said it was only until they were back on an even keel and then he would step down. 

Amazingly he was absolutely true to his word; sorted them out financially such taht they were now turning a profit and rebuilt some of the ground and then sold at a fair price to somebody else; stepping down. 

That's the sort of person they need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was under the impression that the mem was worth £10-12million - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on gaschat that it is worth upwards of £25million now?

That's #GASLOGIC!

the value of the site is a weird one.

If you look at the FFP thread, the Mem could be worth next to nothing, or if you are selling it to yourself, billions.

15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was under the impression that the mem was worth £10-12million - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on gaschat that it is worth upwards of £25million now?

When was it valued at £10m?  When Wally came in?

I would be very surprised by 150% increase in that time.

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

3 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It was about £10m in the accounts which seemed an undervalue and the charge was at £10m.

£15m seems more reasonable, given the Sainsbury's bid in the era of peak supermarket was IIRC £30m, and as the debt is being allowed to rise to that level it looks like the AQs also think so.

The £25m / £30m values are coming from gasheads being let loose with a calculator and then multiplying Bristol land values for particular uses by the acreage of the Memorial ground site and selecting the biggest figure without taking into account the many other factors that valuers consider.

And as with any speculation once enough people have repeated it then it becomes fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

if they did sell,imagine the cost of disposing of all that concrete and rubbish there.. would that get factored into the sale price?

cant be much there recyclable other than a few yards of tarpaulin

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if they did sell,imagine the cost of disposing of all that concrete and rubbish there.. would that get factored into the sale price?

cant be much there recyclable other than a few yards of tarpaulin

And the cost of fumigation.

They must be starting to 5hit their pants by now & not because the pot they pi55 in will have to be sold but with the replay starting in a few hours and everyone wanting them to be defeated.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

They must be starting to 5hit their pants by now & not because the pot they pi55 in will have to be sold but with the replay starting in a few hours and everyone wanting them to be defeated.

Popcorn ready. 

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

They are getting their excuses in early, plastic pitch, won't be expecting the ball to bounce like that, everyone expecting them to win etc...

17 minutes ago, Swede said:

You are mistaking them for somebody else, Swede.

EVERYBODY loves them !

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Wasn't it £25M when fully redeveloped with housing?

53 minutes ago, Swede said:

Watch the methane snorters lose or watch Adam Nagy v Wales? Sod it, channel hopping it is.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

ha ha I hope they get fc.uk inn  stuffed

11 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Talks renewed about merger with Forest Green Rovers and relocation to Gloucestershire.

Forest Green seem a well run outfit, why would they want to get involved with that rabble #Vegan

21 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Talks renewed about merger with Forest Green Rovers and relocation to Gloucestershire.

When they merge, they could take the Forest Green from Forest Green Rovers ... and the Rovers from Bristol Rovers .... and call the new team Forest Green Rovers?

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, bert tann said:

@bert tann The problem with that is the same with any merger, what do they bring to the table?  The ground is the only tangible asset and it's mortgaged to its limit. There appears to be no benefit from FGR's perspective. 

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Forest Green seem a well run outfit, why would they want to get involved with that rabble #Vegan

This.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

@bert tann The problem with that is the same with any merger, what do they bring to the table?  The ground is the only tangible asset and it's mortgaged to its limit. There appears to be no benefit from FGR's perspective. 

This.

Forest Green gets an additional six thousand regular fans; Forest Green is only getting crowds of 2,500 despite their success.

Rovers get a decent stadium in which to play team; maybe a new one just off the M5 north of Bristol.

It makes sense to me.

I suggest Rovers Rovers as the new name.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Forest Green gets an additional six thousand regular fans; Forest Green is only getting crowds of 2,500 despite their success.

Rovers get a decent stadium in which to play team; maybe a new one just off the M5 north of Bristol.

It makes sense to me.

I suggest Rovers Rovers as the new name.

I don't think so, I think it would be the beginning of the end for their fans. Some of them might traipse up there for a season or so, especially those who live north of Bristol already, but eventually they would look for something closer to home, especially if Premier League football was on offer.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed.

Ground sharing with your rivals never ends well.

Back in the 90s I asked a Crystal Palace fan why they had such an intense and nasty rivalry with Brighton, a club fifty miles away, rather than the much closer Charlton or Millwall.

He said it all started when Palace let Brighton groundshare and ever since they have been enemies.

I do not share the huge dislike that many on here have for the gas (and we're all entitled to our opinions, I'm not saying anybody's wrong) but letting them groundshare would be asking for trouble.  No, just no.

Palace have never shared a ground with Brighton - their rivalry stems from some fiery cup ties in the late ‘70s - both managers hated each other (Venables vs Mullery) and after one of the cup ties Mullery walked around the pitch flicking the V sign at Palace fans - he then stormed into the Palace dressing room, chucked a fiver on the floor and told Venables ‘your team ain’t worth that’ ... it all escalated from there ...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Palace have never shared a ground with Brighton - their rivalry stems from some fiery cup ties in the late ‘70s - both managers hated each other (Venables vs Mullery) and after one of the cup ties Mullery walked around the pitch flicking the V sign at Palace fans - he then stormed into the Palace dressing room, chucked a fiver on the floor and told Venables ‘your team ain’t worth that’ ... it all escalated from there ...

I was misinformed then.

I don't think he was making it up; maybe he was just getting a bit confused.  It was somebody I worked with who would sometimes slag off Brighton and I asked why there was a rivalry.