Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I haven't read all through this thread) but there's a lot to be said for the saying 'if something appears to be too good to be true then it probably is'.

• Like 3

Why are we labelling them "sell outs" and renaming the thread as such?

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's a lottery. Why not Braintree Town in the Premier League? Not that the Jordanian tossers now about Braintree. It's a sick world.

Edited by bristolcitysweden
10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

a more innocent age "a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool?"

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

10 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

I get what you're saying but I still don't think relabelling the thread "sell out" does anything other than make us look bitter, because it doesn't really describe the situation. Not a clever call by the mods, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

But what "thing" have they become that "they always claimed to despise"?

They have more money but the identity of the club remains unchanged. Are you saying if you asked 100 Rovers fans in the street if they wanted more money to make their club more competitive they would all say they "despise" that? I doubt that.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Why don't you **** off to the rovers forum

rather then be all high and mighty about their take over as if it suddenly justifies them,

nothing has change they still haven't got a new ground or spent a penny

Well constructed reply, not. Sounds like you are in a bit of denial here. It must mean they will become a real adversary to us, something to look forward to, unless you actually enjoy having the stigma in Bristol of having a non league outfit that actually does Bristol City FC no favours at all, especially when we are lumped together with them by the less well informed.   As Sweden says this might encourage SL to kick on a bit more, especially with the Bristol Sport ethos, can't see he would want to be considered the poor man of Bristol Sport really.

What do you say Monkeh? Think before you type mind, just for a change. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Why don't you **** off to the rovers forum

rather then be all high and mighty about their take over as if it suddenly justifies them,

nothing has change they still haven't got a new ground or spent a penny

New server all over the place, new balls please.

Edited by ten minutes of rough

I don't know why people get so funny about this. Who cares what they do. Good on them - there is no loyalty in football these days from a player perspective so why should it be any different when it comes to who the owner is or how much money they're prepared to plow in to their club.  Years ago I'm sure many here would have accepted a similar situation at our club. Luckily we have SL.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1