Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Football ground? Looks more like a greyhound track to me.

Their current crowd of about 8k would look a bit lost in that (which at on time could fit in nearly 40k).

The Muller Road End looked good rammed with the red n white army 

‘1-0 down , 2-1 up ......’

Springs to mind , ........rammed 

• Like 9

I see that Rovers’ new kit has finally been revealed and in an attempt to seduce their supports and help them forget about the shitstate the club are currently in, its a retro design, “celebrating” 30 years ago, when they had no stadium of their own and were squatting in a different City, in a non league ground. A time that saw them promoted from the level that they are currently playing at, modelled by their new signing who recently helped get their bitter rivals promoted from that division, whilst also scoring for them at Wembley as part of their double winning season. 

Cute, eh...! 

#mindthegap

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I see that Rovers’ new kit has finally been revealed and in an attempt to seduce their supports and help them forget about the shitstate the club are currently in, its a retro design, “celebrating” 30 years ago, when they had no stadium of their own and were squatting in a different City, in a non league ground. A time that saw them promoted from the level that they are currently playing at, modelled by their new signing who recently helped get their bitter rivals promoted from that division, whilst also scoring for them at Wembley as part of their double winning season. 

Cute, eh...! 

#mindthegap

I thought I would have a check on their 'historic' 1989/90 season as according to the press release it was "one of the happiest in Rovers fan's memory", so I checked out the Wikipedia page for that season, which I have shown below in its entirety.

gas.png

That's literally it. Obviously super prowed of that season... 

Massive crowds too :laugh:

48 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Cute, eh...! 

#mindthegap

It's nice to know that it still hurts you :)

I note they said there was a “massive” queue for the new kit at the “shop” - however when I was in the City shop on Saturday there were more people in there than Rovers average home Gate.  What a pitiful club, still knocking one out over an event from 30 years ago because nothing else has happened since (or before for that matter)

16 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I thought I would have a check on their 'historic' 1989/90 season as according to the press release it was "one of the happiest in Rovers fan's memory", so I checked out the Wikipedia page for that season, which I have shown below in its entirety.

gas.png

That's literally it. Obviously super prowed of that season... 

Massive crowds too :laugh:

I know we don't really like the truth getting in the way of a good story and all that, but that Torquay game was an away game and it was in the preliminary round of the Leyland Daf cup :)

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It’s an embarrassing blot on our recent history. Of course it still hurts. 

I think we are moving on fairly well from it now though. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your commemorative kit in a couple of seasons, marking 20 years since you were last above us in the league. 

I hope your club doesn’t go out of business before then. That would be a shame..! 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s an embarrassing blot on our recent history. Of course it still hurts. 

I think we are moving on fairly well from it now though. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your commemorative kit in a couple of seasons, marking 20 years since you were last above us in the league. 

I hope your club doesn’t go out of business before then. That would be a shame..! 

The thing is with the fewers that’s all they do is look back. Maybe if they looked forward and to the future they wouldn’t be such a shitty little club in a shitty little ground . MIND THE GAP 

11 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I know we don't really like the truth getting in the way of a good story and all that, but that Torquay game was an away game and it was in the preliminary round of the Leyland Daf cup :)

Miah, I think it’s more that you couldn’t get 10,000 for a local derby, yet people on Gaschat still say you’d get 30,000 every week if you had a new stadium. 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

The thing is with the fewers that’s all they do is look back. Maybe if they looked forward and to the future they wouldn’t be such a shitty little club in a shitty little ground . MIND THE GAP 

Isn’t that a bit like asking someone, who’s stood on the gallows, with a rope being placed around their neck, if they are looking forward to your trip to Disneyland tomorrow..?!  

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Miah, I think it’s more that you couldn’t get 10,000 for a local derby, yet people on Gaschat still say you’d get 30,000 every week if you had a new stadium. 

It would indeed be a struggle to get 10,000 into a ground that held 9,800. 

You really shouldn't pay too much attention when it comes to football forum boasts btw :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It was a painful night in May. That aside that season was probably  my favourite ever following City, we played fantastic attacking football and were a joy to watch and there were some truly memorable (and infamous) away games that season, Swansea, Brum’ & Bolton we’re all crazy days out

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Not as much hurt as knowing that in the generation/s since, you've done nothing and achieved nothing (unless you count being relegated to non league by a team wearing your own kit having celebrated beating relegation the previous week an achievement?) and will continue to do so. Like pouring salt water into an open wound.

40 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

i don't think trumpton could hold 10k to be fair

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i don't think trumpton could hold 10k to be fair

No, but the Memorial ground can, apparently...! Not sure what’s consistently stopping the hordes attending there..?! 

In the 20? Odd years they’ve been back there, I can only remember a handful of occasions where their crowds top 10k. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Cute, eh...! 

#mindthegap

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

My first recollection of something distasteful about Rovers was after a defeat at Ashton Gate (which was commonplace in the mid 80’s). I was leaving the ground in complete disbelief how we had lost a match to our closest rivals after literally battering them for 90 minutes. I was walking past the Rovers team coach and looked up and Ian Holloway was sat there laughing like a child and pointing at us. He was clearly loving it and was taunting us as we walked past. I thought ‘what an absolute ******* *****’.

Fast forward to 1990 and Rovers beat City convincingly at Trumpton to effectively take the title at the very last moment after City had been at the top for the majority of the season.

Not content with just winning the Championship the people I know (just like Holloway) couldn’t wait to gloat and taunt us. Rather than enjoy it for what it was it was all about ******* City and that was the moment I went from not being to bothered about Rovers to absolutely detesting them, and my feelings have never changed.

I still see the same reaction whenever misfortune of some kind happens to City, and if it’s Rovers who inflict the damage then it’s 10 fold.

I’m not bothered about 1990 any more as we won the League One title without breaking a sweat in 2015 and that truly put that to bed, with the icing on the cake being the previous season watching Rovers fall through the trap door (that one exorcised the ‘taunting’ demons of 1990 and that one will hurt your lot forever). 1982 means nothing either as we have moved on.

Rovers however are stuck in the past. That is all you have got. 1982, 2nd May, Dean Windass, Tote End......all dead and buried like your clubs hopes for the future. Nothing personal Miah as I think you are a decent poster and I know quite a few decent Rovers lads, but nothing would please me more than to see your poxy club go under because of the mentality of your fans base and their “City’s losing” monkey spanking antics.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

they took advantage alright, by calling off the original fixture due to an ‘unplayable surface’ the fact we were flying on an unbeaten run and they were in a mini slump must have been a coincidence. Not the only time they’ve pulled that stunt. Oh and by the way Bath city played on the unplayable surface the day after our fixture was called off. 

They are a detestable football club

• Like 6
59 minutes ago, old parkender said:

they took advantage alright, by calling off the original fixture due to an ‘unplayable surface’ the fact we were flying on an unbeaten run and they were in a mini slump must have been a coincidence. Not the only time they’ve pulled that stunt. Oh and by the way Bath city played on the unplayable surface the day after our fixture was called off. 

They are a detestable football club

Indeed.

Remember, they’re always the victim...it’s never their fault. They never cheat.....

Grotty little club.

FDB5982E-7C4F-4EBD-B0BC-ECC223914A00.jpeg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Indeed.

Remember, they’re always the victim...it’s never their fault.

Grotty little club.

FDB5982E-7C4F-4EBD-B0BC-ECC223914A00.jpeg

When the groundsman was seen watering the pitch in the corner, to make sure it was called off. They received a warning from the FA over that. Like the time at Trumpton when the game was called off due to a flooded corner of the pitch, when the  watermain mysteriously burst just prior to our game, we were flying at the time and they had a couple of injuries. Just shows what a shithouse of a club they are.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

My first recollection of something distasteful about Rovers was after a defeat at Ashton Gate (which was commonplace in the mid 80’s). I was leaving the ground in complete disbelief how we had lost a match to our closest rivals after literally battering them for 90 minutes. I was walking past the Rovers team coach and looked up and Ian Holloway was sat there laughing like a child and pointing at us. He was clearly loving it and was taunting us as we walked past. I thought ‘what an absolute ******* *****’.

Fast forward to 1990 and Rovers beat City convincingly at Trumpton to effectively take the title at the very last moment after City had been at the top for the majority of the season.

Not content with just winning the Championship the people I know (just like Holloway) couldn’t wait to gloat and taunt us. Rather than enjoy it for what it was it was all about ******* City and that was the moment I went from not being to bothered about Rovers to absolutely detesting them, and my feelings have never changed.

I still see the same reaction whenever misfortune of some kind happens to City, and if it’s Rovers who inflict the damage then it’s 10 fold.

I’m not bothered about 1990 any more as we won the League One title without breaking a sweat in 2015 and that truly put that to bed, with the icing on the cake being the previous season watching Rovers fall through the trap door (that one exorcised the ‘taunting’ demons of 1990 and that one will hurt your lot forever). 1982 means nothing either as we have moved on.

Rovers however are stuck in the past. That is all you have got. 1982, 2nd May, Dean Windass, Tote End......all dead and buried like your clubs hopes for the future. Nothing personal Miah as I think you are a decent poster and I know quite a few decent Rovers lads, but nothing would please me more than to see your poxy club go under because of the mentality of your fans base and their “City’s losing” monkey spanking antics.

Some footballers and some fans gloat, goes with the territory.