Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

7 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Thank you! I was beginning to think OTIB had an Orwellian rewrite of history! 

It's a technicality of course, because it's the same ground, same fans etc., but it did actually happen. As you may know I also follow Celtic and their fans take great pleasure in refusing to acknowledge 'The Rangers'  as their old rivals 'Rangers' , because Rangers did actually cease to exist, but those same fans are always the ones desperate for a ticket for that game!

The gulf between is undeniably bigger than it's ever been and I seriously doubt if I will ever see the gap bridged in my lifetime

I would agree as long as we continue to be owned by the Lansdown family.  If we are sold then all bets are off.

Edit: I would also say that the most important definition of any club is its fanbase.

MK Dons is the continuing company of Wimbledon, FA Cup winners with a long stay in the Premier League.

AFC Wimbledon was cobbled from nothing together twenty years' ago.

The majority of the old WImbledon fans support AFC Wimbeldon so that is the current version of the old WImbledon; whatever the records at Companies House may say.

I started supporting City in 1979; as far as I am concerned I still support the same club now.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
14 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Did they?

I don't think Rovers have any more or less morals than any other business, I just find it ironic that some City fans think 1982 is more of a blot on Rovers history than their own.

After the deal was done to stitch them up and Arthur Holmes had got his £2m back, but, the rugby club didn't receive anything, so were still losing money. He then filed for bankruptcy of the rugby club, that was after just five months. He was rewarded by the club (football not Rugby) for his services to "the club".

In his obituary, written by Geoff Dunford, he used two thirds of it to explain the deal and their relationship, Strange! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Bristol City Holdings was called 1982 for a short time but that was in between other names. The maggots call us 82ers like they call us a franchise.

English not being their first language clearly.

Yep, I had a “Hirerite” City shirt where the badge was simply “BCFC 1982” - just the letters and numbers ...

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Roverzzz and Celtic?! When life’s cards were dealt you got a seriously bum hand ... 😄🍷

And Miah has watched Man U for a period of time as well IIRC.

C*ltic, Sags and Man U - the real axis of evil !

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

And Miah has watched Man U for a period of time as well IIRC.

C*ltic, Sags and Man U - the real axis of evil !

Good grief - the very definition of a triangle of shite .... he obviously ain’t aware that Septic fans sing YNWA - no self respecting Man Yoo fan would tolerate that!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably walks up and down Gloucester Road with a MAGA hat and a pro Brexit banner as well.

@Bristol Rob Please don't bring Brexit or other politics bollocks into it. There's a different forum for that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fair enough.

But Miah probably prefers Carling to Thatchers, Chinese food to Indian AND watches Love Island.

Ha, good response. 

Yes, he probably does....poor soul.

Life has dealt him a bad hand. Or he has just made shocking decisions in life.

Not surprising really, if you chose to support the gash.

UP THE CITY

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And what precisely is wrong with Love Island pray tell?

(did I just say that?)

Honestly? No idea. I have never seen it.

And I was reading an article today about how most critics of that show have never seen it, thus making them entirely unqualified to comment.

Either way, Miah is a fan. Possibly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Honestly? No idea. I have never seen it.

And I was reading an article today about how most critics of that show have never seen it, thus making them entirely unqualified to comment.

Either way, Miah is a fan. Possibly.

Ditto.  It may actually be excellent but I haven't seen it so am not joining in what seems to be the compulsory slagging off of the programme.

That I've not seen it is probably connected to my not having a TV.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ditto.  It may actually be excellent but I haven't seen it so am not joining in what seems to be the compulsory slagging off of the programme.

It must be shit as my 16 year old daughter thinks it's brilliant. Reverse psychology means it's utter toilet!  

• Haha 1

You don't have to be a Gash S/T holder to know they're shite !:cool:

I very much doubt it is excellent, however; if your job is to produce a ratings winner with sponsorship and advertising revenues to match, you have probably reached the point of having a jackpot hand. The easily influenced will lap up all the nonsense that goes with it.

Like Miah. Who watches it with Carling, and a Chinese.

(Just to keep us on topic).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I very much doubt it is excellent, however; if your job is to produce a ratings winner with sponsorship and advertising revenues to match, you have probably reached the point of having a jackpot hand. The easily influenced will lap up all the nonsense that goes with it.

Like Miah. Who watches it with Carling, and a Chinese.

(Just to keep us on topic).

I must point out that as things currently stand, I have gone out for a quick pint (to get some 'air' as I described it), and I find myself watching Show Jumping in Eurosport 2 in a near empty pub.

Oooh. He's hit a jumpy thing. That'll cost 'im 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I had a “Hirerite” City shirt where the badge was simply “BCFC 1982” - just the letters and numbers ...

But there were two versions of that shirt sold by Beryl. One had Hirerite on, the other didn't. 

You could choose if you wanted to promote the sponsor or not.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I must point out that as things currently stand, I have gone out for a quick pint (to get some 'air' as I described it), and I find myself watching Show Jumping in Eurosport 2 in a near empty pub.

Oooh. He's hit a jumpy thing. That'll cost 'im 

That's such a perfect vignette of a midweek pint.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

If it aint relevant why mention it?

Anyway, the creditors accepted 20p in the pound for their debt, by accepting that deal the creditors were paid and the company did not go bankrupt. The company was wound up and a new company formed to take over the administrative role, BCFC 1982. The assets of the old company were transferred to the new company except for the registration of the like of Mick Harford and Jan Moller who were sold and the proceeds went to covering the debts of the old company.

• Like 1

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

Same fate may await rovers again. You did go bust in 1939 and would of been sunk without a trace if the outbreak of the Second World War hadn’t started. Bloody hitler 

Thank you! I was beginning to think OTIB had an Orwellian rewrite of history! 

It's a technicality of course, because it's the same ground, same fans etc., but it did actually happen. As you may know I also follow Celtic and their fans take great pleasure in refusing to acknowledge 'The Rangers'  as their old rivals 'Rangers' , because Rangers did actually cease to exist, but those same fans are always the ones desperate for a ticket for that game!

The gulf between is undeniably bigger than it's ever been and I seriously doubt if I will ever see the gap bridged in my lifetime

Anyway, care to talk to me about the rugby club ground purchase, or the re allocation of land at Filton in the same deal, or the share sales from NH to Balfour Beaty, or the gift of £1m shares to NH from GD,  Or the awarding of contract to Cowlin's for the redevelopment of the rugby ground only for it to be cancelled once shares were sold, then the shares being paid for, or the changing of the planning committee on the day of the hearing which went in Rovers favour? Plenty to debate. You seem to have not been interested in those, only reinforcing your view of a bankruptcy which never actually happened.

• Thanks 1