Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I had a “Hirerite” City shirt where the badge was simply “BCFC 1982” - just the letters and numbers ...

But there were two versions of that shirt sold by Beryl. One had Hirerite on, the other didn't. 

You could choose if you wanted to promote the sponsor or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I must point out that as things currently stand, I have gone out for a quick pint (to get some 'air' as I described it), and I find myself watching Show Jumping in Eurosport 2 in a near empty pub.

Oooh. He's hit a jumpy thing. That'll cost 'im 

That's such a perfect vignette of a midweek pint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

If it aint relevant why mention it?

Anyway, the creditors accepted 20p in the pound for their debt, by accepting that deal the creditors were paid and the company did not go bankrupt. The company was wound up and a new company formed to take over the administrative role, BCFC 1982. The assets of the old company were transferred to the new company except for the registration of the like of Mick Harford and Jan Moller who were sold and the proceeds went to covering the debts of the old company.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

Same fate may await rovers again. You did go bust in 1939 and would of been sunk without a trace if the outbreak of the Second World War hadn’t started. Bloody hitler 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Thank you! I was beginning to think OTIB had an Orwellian rewrite of history! 

It's a technicality of course, because it's the same ground, same fans etc., but it did actually happen. As you may know I also follow Celtic and their fans take great pleasure in refusing to acknowledge 'The Rangers'  as their old rivals 'Rangers' , because Rangers did actually cease to exist, but those same fans are always the ones desperate for a ticket for that game!

The gulf between is undeniably bigger than it's ever been and I seriously doubt if I will ever see the gap bridged in my lifetime

 

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

Anyway, care to talk to me about the rugby club ground purchase, or the re allocation of land at Filton in the same deal, or the share sales from NH to Balfour Beaty, or the gift of £1m shares to NH from GD,  Or the awarding of contract to Cowlin's for the redevelopment of the rugby ground only for it to be cancelled once shares were sold, then the shares being paid for, or the changing of the planning committee on the day of the hearing which went in Rovers favour? Plenty to debate. You seem to have not been interested in those, only reinforcing your view of a bankruptcy which never actually happened.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Same fate may await rovers again. You did go bust in 1939 and would of been sunk without a trace if the outbreak of the Second World War hadn’t started. Bloody hitler 

Or the council hadn't have bought Eastville and sold it back cheaply. For it to be sold again to the Greyhound company.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Same fate may await rovers again. You did go bust in 1939 and would of been sunk without a trace if the outbreak of the Second World War hadn’t started. Bloody hitler 

Nothing to do with me!

Anyway I've read, probably on this thread, that that wasn't the case for some reason. Which I forget.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

Can you just clarify how a company actually goes bankrupt, yet retains its most valuable asset, please..? 

Saying “honestly, it did happen” doesn’t mean that it actually DID happen..! 

It was about as close as you can possibly come, granted.... but eventual circumstances led to a re-structuring, rather than being wound up. 

Since then, we have re-structured our company formations a couple of times, I believe. As have Rovers, with Dwayne Sports ownership.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

And Miah has watched Man U for a period of time as well IIRC.

C*ltic, Sags and Man U - the real axis of evil !

I haven't. 

I did have 4 season tickets for a few years through work which were used for entertaining customers. I only went the once.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rich said:

If it aint relevant why mention it?

Anyway, the creditors accepted 20p in the pound for their debt, by accepting that deal the creditors were paid and the company did not go bankrupt. The company was wound up and a new company formed to take over the administrative role, BCFC 1982. The assets of the old company were transferred to the new company except for the registration of the like of Mick Harford and Jan Moller who were sold and the proceeds went to covering the debts of the old company.

Someone said that Rovers were a vile club who they hoped went bankrupt. I responded with 'It didn't do you any harm', which seemed to strike a nerve :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Nothing to do with me!

Anyway I've read, probably on this thread, that that wasn't the case for some reason. Which I forget.

They finished bottom of the league and would of had to apply for re-election . Due to the financial state of them it wouldn’t of been granted and the end would of been nigh . Due to the outbreak of the war , the football league was suspended which basically saved them from oblivion . As I said , bloody hitler . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Someone said that Rovers were a vile club who they hoped went bankrupt. I responded with 'It didn't do you any harm', which seemed to strike a nerve :)

Well in fairness this is a Bristol City forum and 1982 was a very poignant year for the supporters. So it will strike a nerve 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Honestly, City did go bankrupt! FWIW I don't think it is really relevant anymore, but it did happen. Yes it happened with Hereford and different rules were in place then. It wasn't a name change, Bristol City ceased to exist and a new company Bristol City 1982 was formed. The same fate may await Rovers, but the current rules in place means that it will be a whole lot more painful than just changing our name.

No they didn’t they were 30 minutes away from bankruptcy then the deal was struck that avoided it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I haven't. 

I did have 4 season tickets for a few years through work which were used for entertaining customers. I only went the once.

My mistake Miah.

You are not completely forgiven, though !😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No they didn’t they were 30 minutes away from bankruptcy then the deal was struck that avoided it

‘Watertight’ Sags don’t understand the concept of factual information.

They much prefer to be provided with lies. Lies for them are the truth. They thrive off them.

It’s how they’ve been bought up and why they’re the 6th richest Club on Planet Zog.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

The way Gasheads look at it is that Bristol City F.C died taking with it our history and ALL past achievements, thus (in their minds) erasing the painful and bitter memories of Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester United etc playing competitively at Ashton Gate and having to hear about their rivals every week and read about them in the national papers (which is part and parcel of playing top flight football) whilst they (again in their minds) were ‘forgotten about’. 

It promised to be the beginning of an exciting period for Gasheads in the early 70’s, winning the pointless Watney Cup in a dire 0 - 0 draw and decided by the lottery of a sudden death penalty and then following on from that success by thrashing Brian Clough’s Brighton team 8 - 2 with the legendary ‘Smash and Grab’ firing them back to the Second Division. 

For a short time they were back on a level playing field with Bristol City, but City had to go and spoil it by going up to the First Division, whilst Rovers started to struggle in the Second.

So imagine seeing the momentum at your club disappear and at the same time hearing about your rivals not only going up but staying up on the last day in a game that has been often described as a ‘fix’ (obviously discounting beating Liverpool and Leeds and drawing with Man Utd to give us any hope in the first place). They must have felt like it was all a big conspiracy against them because as we all know they are always the victim. The rage must have been incredible.

Then in 1977 they became record breakers by being the losing team in the biggest ever televised Match of The Day thrashing (9-0 at the hands of Tottenham), and then being unfairly robbed of beating Ipswich Town when Bobby Gould’s legitimate goal was ruled out for offside.

As things weren’t working out on the pitch for them and City seemingly being unfairly kept in the top flight (in their minds) they saw an opportunity of getting some attention and media limelight finally......unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons competing with Millwall, Aston Villa etc in the Hooliganism league table (as glorified in a book).

Seething, jealous, hard done by, cast aside and forgotten about in favour of ‘The Shit’.

Then in 1980 City are relegated from the top flight and start their own downward trajectory. The following season both Bristol clubs are shit and are both relegated back to the third tier. It’s bad for Rovers that their time in the Second Division came to an end, but it was fine and dandy because ‘The Shit’ went down with them.

So imagine then when City ended up in financial difficulty? As a Rovers fan this was their moment to not only be on an equal footing but they could actually end up as Bristol’s top team, emerging from the shadows. 

Having had to endure being forgotten about that is what they wanted for Bristol City and they delighted in it, revelled in it, laughed at the ‘Support Bristol City Now Or Never’ campaign. After all, it was Bristol City who had stamped all over their early 70’s success by going up to the First Division. Their own demise had been Bristol City’s ‘fault’ for going one better.

So when the dust settled they were able to say that this was a new club, this wasn’t Bristol City, and they could block out the pain and suffering they felt in the late 70’s. City was gone, it was all a dream, Rovers are top dogs, the 82ers are in the basement (so bragging rights about Rovers never being in the bottom division ended up a regular taunt until ‘2nd May’ - a Gasheads favourite day).

This is my view of why Rovers bang on about 1982. The fact that we have been far more successful than them since 1982 is somehow lost on them, as is anything pre-1982. It’s their own little way of convincing themselves that Bristol is 50/50. 

 

 

Quality piece of writing that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one more point.....It is my belief that prior to the 70’s the rivalry between City and Rovers was a lot less bitter than it became. I know a few old timers who would go to City one week and go to Rovers the next quite happily. 

And certainly even during the 1970’s after the games the City and Rovers players had been known to socialise together off the pitch. It was competitive on the pitch but certainly not as ugly as it was off the pitch. I know that because I have heard it first hand from a Rovers player who was part of the 73/74 promotion winning side under Don Megson and from a City player who played an integral part in City’s promotion winning team of 75/76.

Edited by Gert Mare
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

The way Gasheads look at it is that Bristol City F.C died taking with it our history and ALL past achievements, thus (in their minds) erasing the painful and bitter memories of Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester United etc playing competitively at Ashton Gate and having to hear about their rivals every week and read about them in the national papers (which is part and parcel of playing top flight football) whilst they (again in their minds) were ‘forgotten about’. 

It promised to be the beginning of an exciting period for Gasheads in the early 70’s, winning the pointless Watney Cup in a dire 0 - 0 draw and decided by the lottery of a sudden death penalty and then following on from that success by thrashing Brian Clough’s Brighton team 8 - 2 with the legendary ‘Smash and Grab’ firing them back to the Second Division. 

For a short time they were back on a level playing field with Bristol City, but City had to go and spoil it by going up to the First Division, whilst Rovers started to struggle in the Second.

So imagine seeing the momentum at your club disappear and at the same time hearing about your rivals not only going up but staying up on the last day in a game that has been often described as a ‘fix’ (obviously discounting beating Liverpool and Leeds and drawing with Man Utd to give us any hope in the first place). They must have felt like it was all a big conspiracy against them because as we all know they are always the victim. The rage must have been incredible.

Then in 1977 they became record breakers by being the losing team in the biggest ever televised Match of The Day thrashing (9-0 at the hands of Tottenham), and then being unfairly robbed of beating Ipswich Town when Bobby Gould’s legitimate goal was ruled out for offside.

As things weren’t working out on the pitch for them and City seemingly being unfairly kept in the top flight (in their minds) they saw an opportunity of getting some attention and media limelight finally......unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons competing with Millwall, Aston Villa etc in the Hooliganism league table (as glorified in a book).

Seething, jealous, hard done by, cast aside and forgotten about in favour of ‘The Shit’.

Then in 1980 City are relegated from the top flight and start their own downward trajectory. The following season both Bristol clubs are shit and are both relegated back to the third tier. It’s bad for Rovers that their time in the Second Division came to an end, but it was fine and dandy because ‘The Shit’ went down with them.

So imagine then when City ended up in financial difficulty? As a Rovers fan this was their moment to not only be on an equal footing but they could actually end up as Bristol’s top team, emerging from the shadows. 

Having had to endure being ‘forgotten about’ that is what they wanted for Bristol City, they wanted Bristol City to be forgotten and they delighted in it, revelled in it, laughed at the ‘Support Bristol City Now Or Never’ campaign. After all, it was Bristol City who had stamped all over their early 70’s success by going up to the First Division. Their own demise had been Bristol City’s ‘fault’ for going one better.

So when the dust settled they were able to say that this was a new club, this wasn’t Bristol City, and they could block out the pain and suffering they felt in the late 70’s. City was gone, it was all a dream, Rovers are top dogs, the 82ers are in the basement (so bragging rights about Rovers never being in the bottom division ended up a regular taunt until ‘2nd May’ - a Gasheads favourite day).

This is my view of why Rovers bang on about 1982. The fact that we have been far more successful than them since 1982 is somehow lost on them, as is anything pre-1982. It’s their own little way of convincing themselves that Bristol is 50/50. 

 

 

Rovers are older than us, too, they were around before us but, crucially, in my opinion, they played safe anchoring themselves in the safe harbour of the Southern League, not having the gumption to go out into the choppy waters of the new-fangled professional national, Northern leagues.

Meanwhile, we were the upstart, younger brother that came from nowhere and took the leap into the shark-infested waters out beyond the comparatively gentle Southern League (largely amateur, anti professional. Unlike the northern Football League, ruthlessly professional. Cut throat) blazing a trail. And not only that, but succeeding, gloriously, almost immediately. 

We cut a dash, for a while. And were inches from glory; we touched greatness, briefly, but it slipped away. We were amongst the big boys. And then we went back there again with a team we made ourselves in the '70s.

Rovers have always remained tied to mother's apron strings - taking shelter in the safe harbour of League One and Two, with even a dip back down into the part-time rubbish whence they originated when L2 was too much/rough for them - sucking their thumb, afraid to risk anything more, watching us while we have gone out into the world and tasted some of it's delights and disasters.

The delights we enjoyed, they bitterly, and enviously resent; the disasters they revel in. They have no glory of their own to eulogise. They had five or six years in the Second Division in the 1950s where they mixed it with, for them, the big boys, and must've thought their moment had come, but it never happened. Back to mummy ever since.

Rovers have never gone bust like us (1982), because they have never gone boom! like us (not that our boom! is anything to write home about, really). They would never dare! They've never had the bottle (the imagination/the audacity/the ambition/the gumption/the delusion). They won't let go of mummy.

They like to see it (1982) as evidence of their moral superiority, when in fact their infatuation with our "moral failing" is a defence against their own fearfulness, timidity and sense of inferiority. 

They are still a Southern League club, at heart. They despise us because they despise themselves and their gutless, pathetic, fearful dependence on the safety of "mummy" and inability to make or even have a bloody good go amongst the big boys, where the glory is to be found. Like we're currently doing (the Championship, now, is a level way beyond anything they have ever experienced). Again.

Not that Miah and co will admit this, or even recognise it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Just one more point.....It is my belief that prior to the 70’s the rivalry between City and Rovers was a lot less bitter than it became. I know a few old timers who would go to City one week and go to Rovers the next quite happily. 

And certainly even during the 1970’s after the games the City and Rovers players had been known to socialise together off the pitch. It was competitive on the pitch but certainly not as ugly as it was off the pitch. I know that because I have heard it first hand from a Rovers player who was part of the 73/74 promotion winning side under Don Megson and from a City player who played an integral part in City’s promotion winning team of 75/76.

I would guess some people still do.

Isn't it a bit like watching a league club one week and a non league club the next?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Rovers are older than us, too, they were around before us but, crucially, in my opinion, they played safe anchoring themselves in the safe harbour of the Southern League, not having the gumption to go out into the choppy waters of the new-fangled professional national, Northern leagues.

Meanwhile, we were the upstart, younger brother that came from nowhere and took the leap into the shark-infested waters out beyond the comparatively gentle Southern League (largely amateur, anti professional. Unlike the northern Football League, ruthlessly professional. Cut throat) blazing a trail. And not only that, but succeeding, gloriously, almost immediately. 

We cut a dash, for a while. And were inches from glory; we touched greatness, briefly, but it slipped away. We were amongst the big boys. And then we went back there again with a team we made ourselves in the '70s.

Rovers have always remained tied to mother's apron strings - taking shelter in the safe harbour of League One and Two, with even a dip back down into the part-time rubbish whence they originated when L2 was too much/rough for them - sucking their thumb, afraid to risk anything more, watching us while we have gone out into the world and tasted some of it's delights and disasters.

The delights we enjoyed, they bitterly, and enviously resent; the disasters they revel in. They have no glory of their own to eulogise. They had five or six years in the Second Division in the 1950s where they mixed it with, for them, the big boys, and must've thought their moment had come, but it never happened. Back to mummy ever since.

Rovers have never gone bust like us (1982), because they have never gone boom! like us (not that our boom! is anything to write home about, really). They would never dare! They've never had the bottle (the imagination/the audacity/the ambition/the gumption/the delusion). They won't let go of mummy.

They like to see it (1982) as evidence of their moral superiority, when in fact it is a defence against their fearfulness and sense of inferiority. 

They are still a Southern League club, at heart. They despise us because they despise themselves and their gutless, pathetic, fearful dependence on the safety of "mummy" and inability to make or even have a bloody good go amongst the big boys, where the glory is to be found. Like we're currently doing (the Championship, now, is a level way beyond anything they have ever experienced). Again.

Not that Miah and co will admit this, or even recognise it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for filling in the historical gaps @Moments of Pleasure 🙂👍🏻

It’s like a mental condition with them. Rather than accepting their own problems and enjoying their own successes they would rather shift the blame onto City.

When they do bad it’s City’s fault

When City do well they feel that it is some sort of negative reflection on them and City fans are labelled as ‘arrogant shitheads’ which entitles them to jizz in their pants with excitement when they are successful and hammer it home to those arrogant shitheads.

Just like 1990, all you heard about was City (not surprising as they were top of the third division for long spells during that season and beat First Division Chelsea 3-1 in the FA Cup). If Rovers had been top for most of the season then no doubt the media spotlight would have been on them, but oh no, to them it was and had always been about a perceived bias towards City and I go back to my point about City getting all of the attention with Rovers ending up ‘forgotten about’.

So when it comes to beating City and winning the title they feel ‘justified’ in rubbing the shitheads faces in it. Pathetically wearing “Bristol City 1990 - Third Division Champions” T-shirts during their open top bus tour of Kingswood. This somewhat skewed view of reality is then further compounded by Ian Holloway announcing that they have “had to put up with crap from shitheads recently” and following it up by saying “Let’s all play a game tonight if you can? It’s called ‘Find the City Fan’”.

This is the mentality of life as a Rovers supporter for many (not all).

They will argue until they are blue in the face that they don’t give a **** about Shitheads and that it is us who is obsessed with them, but they are having a ******* bubble if they think any City fan buys that for one second?

This is the reason we celebrated their relegation to Non-League football (because they wanted us to cease to exist in 1982) and why we have this massive thread today (combination of 1982 and 1990) and the odd ‘City Relegation Party’ thread.

All that they have ever banged on about has come back to bite them on the arse....and then they have gone even further The ‘Gift that keeps on giving’.

They will argue that City ceased to exist in 1982.  The fact is (and the records show) that a Bristol City club has continued the n the football league, but I certainly cannot see any record of Bristol Rovers being in any of the 4 divisions during 2015.....just checked again....nope, no sign of Rovers. So really, banging on about 1982 when they dropped out of the football league altogether is laughable.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Someone said that Rovers were a vile club who they hoped went bankrupt. I responded with 'It didn't do you any harm', which seemed to strike a nerve :)

Miah, drop it, I think you’re onto a loser with this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Banjo Island said:

Its incredible were on here talking about 25 million pound signings on top on top of nigh on 20 mill and some halfwit comes on banging on about 82 get a life u utter fool

but, but, they sold Taylor to us for £10million did they not? 😂
 

1982 is about the amount of season tickets they've sold isn't it?  

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2019 at 12:06, BanburyRed said:

 you've done nothing and achieved nothing (unless you count being relegated to non league by a team wearing your own kit having celebrated beating relegation the previous week an achievement?)

I just love this comment and it still ranks as one of the funniest things that has ever happened in professional sport! 😂

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I read this week that Florist fans were collecting money to help save Notts County.

Would anyone be brave enough to shake a tin for Rovers at Ashton Gate if it came to it?

 

 

 

Thought not.

Different relationship I think but ready to stand corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...