Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Rich said:

No doubt at all about the launderette in London. That's where they do all their dirty washing and other laundering.

Special offer for lower level PEP's...

Buy one 60° wash,,get another free...

Be sure to get rid of any bug's.....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Why? Most people are still employed, football will happen again.

Or did Rovers release their season ticket the day covid starting hitting here?

I still have a job yes, but I have been furloughed and have no idea how long my employers will be able to cope with the significant downturn in business. I would imagine I am not the only one in that particular boat.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bert tann said:

 

Our former director Mr Turner (previously a business partner of Amos Brearly) told a packed AGM that the London office was costing the club £ 250 000 per year. It has now apparently been closed but since it's existence was always shrouded in mystery we can't  really be sure of that and it could still be functioning surreptitiously disguised as a rag and bone yard, in Oil Drum Lane, Shepherds Bush.

However, one thing which nobody seems to have picked up from the latest accounts is the extraordinary growth in lease commitments. Back in 2016 old Nicholas was on the hook for £ 115K but this grew to £ 511K in 2018 and by 2019 the club had non-cancellable operating lease commitments of  £  850K !   Has Mr Al-Qadi leased each one of the staff a brand new Rover 3.5-Litre Saloon ?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rich said:

No doubt at all about the launderette in London. That's where they do all their dirty washing and other laundering.

They usually do that in public, don’t they..?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is there perhaps a Lear Jet decked out in blue and white quartered livery squirreled away somewhere in Filton?

Given that the runway is not operational any more, that would put it in the same category as just about anything to do with that sickening excuse for a club

 

****ing useless

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What does ‘Football with Tradition’ actually mean?
 

It means, the club you measure yourself against, the club you fancy to be your rival, the club your supporters obsess over, are more successful, are higher in the pyramid than you, have more support than you, and they have modernised, are a 21st century football club.

It means you are small fry and lower league.

It also means, "we tried to modernise but failed" and have only the "tradition" nonsense to fall back on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It also means, "we tried to modernise but failed" and have only the "tradition" nonsense to fall back on.

Yep, I think this is hitting the nail on the head.

I suppose we could always put ‘120 consecutive years of League football’ on our promotional literature but I think we’ve got far more going for us as a club than that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can anybody help make my Easter weekend by finding and posting the video of the lad headbutting the car window? 

Only got this one....

 

6668576D-031E-4DB5-920B-D4CE155DC422.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I still have a job yes, but I have been furloughed and have no idea how long my employers will be able to cope with the significant downturn in business. I would imagine I am not the only one in that particular boat.

Best of luck Miah. You pretend to be blue, but you’re far too sensible for that to be true 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

thought they only took 25000ish to their play off final.

They play off final your thinking off happened 10 years after this quote! The playoff final he’s talking about was the first one back at the new new Wembley! The quote is 15 years old!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just read the latest column from Hollowhead. 

This is usually good for a laugh, but has left me sick in the stomach this time.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-bristol-rovers-debt-4035810

He starts by talking about how clubs are reacting to Coronavirus and says “Greed is evident everywhere and we need to get back to a mentality of looking out for one another, rather than grasping for everything we can get. Nowhere is the need for change more obvious than in professional football where the rich continue to get richer at the expense of the poor.“

He goes on to criticise Liverpool FC’s decision to furlough staff, albeit this what now been reversed. “The pots of money being made available to help them would be better invested in paying higher wages to the incredible NHS staff, who are working so hard to protect all of us at this dreadful time.”.

All very laudable stuff.

He then mentions that “Clubs the size of Grimsby Town, where I am manager, have no choice but to take advantage of government help. All players and staff, including myself, were placed on furlough last week“. However, the club don’t appear to be that strapped as the club are making up the difference in wages to ensure no staff member loses a penny.

it makes me sick to think that my tax payer’s money is going to the likes of Hollowhead, when in his words, money would be better spent on the NHS.

i can only hope that he is donating this extra income, and that from writing his article to the NHS.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read the latest column from Hollowhead. 

This is usually good for a laugh, but has left me sick in the stomach this time.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-bristol-rovers-debt-4035810

He starts by talking about how clubs are reacting to Coronavirus and says “Greed is evident everywhere and we need to get back to a mentality of looking out for one another, rather than grasping for everything we can get. Nowhere is the need for change more obvious than in professional football where the rich continue to get richer at the expense of the poor.“

He goes on to criticise Liverpool FC’s decision to furlough staff, albeit this what now been reversed. “The pots of money being made available to help them would be better invested in paying higher wages to the incredible NHS staff, who are working so hard to protect all of us at this dreadful time.”.

All very laudable stuff.

He then mentions that “Clubs the size of Grimsby Town, where I am manager, have no choice but to take advantage of government help. All players and staff, including myself, were placed on furlough last week“. However, the club don’t appear to be that strapped as the club are making up the difference in wages to ensure no staff member loses a penny.

it makes me sick to think that my tax payer’s money is going to the likes of Hollowhead, when in his words, money would be better spent on the NHS.

i can only hope that he is donating this extra income, and that from writing his article to the NHS.

 


I would just like to say in defence of  ‘Hollowhead’ he does a lot of charity work  particularly those associated with the Deaf , hearing dogs etc but also other areas and ...

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/ian-holloway-life-lockdown-stevie-4014300

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on him if he does a lot for charity, and I genuinely mean that.

However, him donating a picture that he painted whilst tax payers were paying 80% of his wages is not really doing it for me.

it would be interesting to know how long it took to paint his picture, and how much it therefore cost the tax payer for him to paint it. We could then compare it to how much he raised for the NHS to find out who the real winner is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Good on him if he does a lot for charity, and I genuinely mean that.

However, him donating a picture that he painted whilst tax payers were paying 80% of his wages is not really doing it for me.

it would be interesting to know how long it took to paint his picture, and how much it therefore cost the tax payer for him to paint it. We could then compare it to how much he raised for the NHS to find out who the real winner is.

But we are not paying 80% of his wages. We are only paying a maximum of £2500 per month which is taxable in the normal way. Whilst I know that many people myself included earn less than £2500 , it is not correct to say we are paying 80% of his wages, as I suspect he earns somewhat more than £2500 a month.

Maybe the painting won’t raise a huge amount of funds but  I admire the gesture like any other fund raising activity.

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

But we are not paying 80% of his wages. We are only paying a maximum of £2500 per month. Whilst I know that many people myself included earn less than £2500 , it is not correct to say we are paying 80% of his wages, as I suspect he earns somewhat more than £2500 a month.

Also worth noting that whatever 80% equals, you still pay tax and N.I. on it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Holloway, he may be an annoying character but so are thousands of other, non football, people who are getting 80% of their salary from the government. With the current furlough scheme everybody gets it regardless of whether they talk sense or not. That’s the only way it can be. It’s best not to focus on Holloway but instead consider the many thousands who are struggling 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Best of luck Miah. You pretend to be blue, but you’re far too sensible for that to be true 

You pretend to be blue

But you're really a red

You woke up one morning

With Irene in your bed!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How many St renewals was it? 600? Delusion central never lets us down...

image.thumb.png.f3fbe6206f84a99b544977df6576f323.png

Full house my arse. Suddenly they're going to double their crowds? 🤜 💦

 

25 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Full house - yeah and first game back we are going to have 45000 down the gate as well...

 

They`ve outgrown the mem doncha know

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

A ‘full house’?

Playing us are they?

With all the shortages at the shops in these trying times one thing in plentifull supply in north bristol is DELUDOMOL they seem to be guzzling it down in ever increasing doses

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

How many St renewals was it? 600? Delusion central never lets us down...

image.thumb.png.f3fbe6206f84a99b544977df6576f323.png

Full house my arse. Suddenly they're going to double their crowds? 🤜 💦

Bless them..! 
A once in a century extra ordinary pandemic situation might, just MIGHT lead to them achieving their own once in a century, extra ordinary situation of having a sell out..! 
 

Doubtful, still - but when have facts ever gotten in their way..?! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...