Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Just commenting to keep this on page 1. 

Still a League below us and mocking us for being a midtable Championship club.

And of course they have never sacked a Manager, all their previous failures have walked away for the good of the club they love so much.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And of course they have never sacked a Manager, all their previous failures have walked away for the good of the club they love so much.

Could say Darrell Clarke was too good for them

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Could say Darrell Clarke was too good for them

And don’t forget the Irish bloke who went to Mansfield because they were more ambitious.

• Haha 2

The problem with Rovers is they want to be us. They know they’ve got an owner who won’t / can’t finance them. For them the highlight of their weekend is when our result comes through and if we’ve lost. We’re light years ahead of them

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

And don’t forget the Irish bloke who went to Mansfield because they were more ambitious.

And were better run. And could pay more despite being a league below.

And had permanent structures at their home ground that were unlikely to blow away in a stiff breeze.

• Like 1
On 30/06/2020 at 13:49, Miah Dennehy said:

You beat Fulham 2-1. Our game was effectively over and Fulham pulled one back late on, so by then I was just willing Fulham on , sadly wasn't to be. I have enjoyed your more recent results though :)

That says it all really about your fan's mentality.

Whether we're winning 4:0, losing 5:0, playing badly, getting stuffed or playing teams off the park I am still concentrating on watching and supporting my team. The only time I would be concerned about any other team's results (& that would be the teams in the same division) would be towards the end of the season if we were fighting relegation or getting into the play offs. I certainly will not be thinking about a team in a different league at that time who's results have no bearing on my teams results whatsoever.

All normal football fans think like this.

I respectfully say, you aside, (as your insight and comments are always well balanced and welcome and I look forward to seeing your different point of view on here) but what makes your fan's so special?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

And then they bought in a bloke from the local who im sure has one of the worst win to losses ratio in all four divisons..

Massive club.. Luckily for them Daddys inheritance come through to Wael at the right time 

23 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Can't believe that they have gone 3 days without giving us something to laugh about. 

....and then I see this on Facebook this morning.

Gets up at 5am to eagerly rush out and buy a bottle of Magners FFS 

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s that angry Oldslag weirdo on Gaschat with his best clobber on 🤣

DF09C66B-3164-47A4-9D13-82F499F3EF3A.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Swede said:

That says it all really about your fan's mentality.

Whether we're winning 4:0, losing 5:0, playing badly, getting stuffed or playing teams off the park I am still concentrating on watching and supporting my team. The only time I would be concerned about any other team's results (& that would be the teams in the same division) would be towards the end of the season if we were fighting relegation or getting into the play offs. I certainly will not be thinking about a team in a different league at that time who's results have no bearing on my teams results whatsoever.

All normal football fans think like this.

I respectfully say, you aside, (as your insight and comments are always well balanced and welcome and I look forward to seeing your different point of view on here) but what makes your fan's so special?

You seem to be saying you don't care if Rovers win, lose or draw.  I am willing to bet any money you like , that a large majority of any crowd at a City match would be pleased to hear of a Rovers defeat ( and there is nothing wrong in that whatsoever)

14 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You seem to be saying you don't care if Rovers win, lose or draw.  I am willing to bet any money you like , that a large majority of any crowd at a City match would be pleased to hear of a Rovers defeat ( and there is nothing wrong in that whatsoever)

Have to agree . I was going ballistic when you lost to Mansfield Town whilst they were wearing your away shirt and you got relegated out of the football league. Great day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Depends on the circumstances. Obviously Mansfield was as huge a day for us as our defeat at Wembley to Hull was in 2008 to Gasheads.

The difference is that we were potentially heading for the Premier League, Rovers were heading for Alfreton.

I would say that on the whole we are far less bothered about Rovers results in general. Most Gasheads I know celebrate every single one of our defeats, and worry when we have a decent run.

You have also been part of the ‘neutral’ video posted by the Villa ground hoppers who called out Rovers absolute obsession with City, not only just checking the score, but every other song being about Bristol City.

Can’t argue with that. 

Yesterday I saw a lot of Gasheads screaming for Johnson’s reinstatement, but if we make the right appointment following his departure there will be lots of Gasheads ‘worrying’ again!

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Oh come on, really???

There's a massive difference with the half time and full time scores being read out over the tannoy and the inevitable cheer that goes up when you're losing or have lost.

I would say though that even that is becoming less of a cheer especially as we have very little in common apart from a name.

It's a bit different to paying to watch your team but not acually watching your team because you're on your phone constantly checking our scores or listening to Radio Bristol willing us to lose to make your weekend perfect. Don't forget, this isn't biased Bristol City fans saying it, it's an independent Aston Villa fan witnessing it!

Why, our fans were even being accused of being in with the Mansfield fans when you lot got relegated out of the league! Talk about conspiracy theories.

By the way, none of us actually believed you would get relegated that day.

Like I've said previously I welcome reading your comments on here and because of your (in the main) balanced opinions I am pretty sure you must be a City fan at heart!

Football is all about opinions and the world would be a duller place if we all had the same ones.

• Like 1
On 05/07/2020 at 11:25, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

....and then I see this on Facebook this morning.

Gets up at 5am to eagerly rush out and buy a bottle of Magners FFS 

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s that angry Oldslag weirdo on Gaschat with his best clobber on 🤣

DF09C66B-3164-47A4-9D13-82F499F3EF3A.jpeg

Fat blokes of a certain age should never,ever wear stretchy jeans,Especially with a jesters top on.

Their bootleg dustbin thread accumulated 18 pages since the season resumed (understandable, we've been gutter). 

Since we've been linked with Hughton etc? 0 posts! Not even acknowledging it.

At least when they do something right we say argh, fair enough. They've stuck their heads in the sand as always.

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

One thing I have noticed especially this season . There’s no anti rovers songs sung anymore . 

This generation don’t know who they are...

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

This generation don’t know who they are...

We’ve played them competitively 3 times in 18 years! I’m nearly 39 and grew up despising them because we were playing them regularly.  Most people 30 and under just don’t have the same hatred towards them that those of us who are that bit older do!

Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

We’ve played them competitively 3 times in 18 years! I’m nearly 39 and grew up despising them because we were playing them regularly.  Most people 30 and under just don’t have the same hatred towards them that those of us who are that bit older do!

I’m in that category. 

They just don’t really bother me to be honest. I just shake my head at them as they keep coming up with things like ‘Santa’s grotto’ and tents for a stand.

Just embarrassing really.

On 06/07/2020 at 12:19, Swede said:

Why, our fans were even being accused of being in with the Mansfield fans when you lot got relegated out of the league! Talk about conspiracy theories.

By the way, none of us actually believed you would get relegated that day.

Like I've said previously I welcome reading your comments on here and because of your (in the main) balanced opinions I am pretty sure you must be a City fan at heart!

Football is all about opinions and the world would be a duller place if we all had the same ones.

Well I  believed they'd get relegated that day.  And so did my 119 mates who were 

A) celebrating the result in the ground with the away fans after the full time whistle

and

B)  waiting outside the ground with unruly intent (!) at exactly the same time.

Perennial victims, eh?  🤣🤣

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

We’ve played them competitively 3 times in 18 years! I’m nearly 39 and grew up despising them because we were playing them regularly.  

Same, they were ******* tinpot back then as well but at least they gave us a game. Nowadays they just sit in the shadows and sneer at any ambition we have whilst their own funny little club provide constant ‘gifts’ for our amusement. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

One thing I have noticed especially this season . There’s no anti rovers songs sung anymore . 

I’ve heard a few, but as those Villa fans will tell you, nothing like the obsession they show towards us at the Mem. Maybe if they actually supported their players on the pitch once in a while they might have won more than one match since Christmas and maintained their own promotion push?

3 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Their bootleg dustbin thread accumulated 18 pages since the season resumed.

When was the last time they played clubs like Forest and Wednesday in the 2nd tier? 🤣

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When was the last time they played clubs like Forest and Wednesday in the 2nd tier? 🤣

Forest in the 2nd tier - 43 years ago April 1977 

Wednesday in the 2nd tier - 29 years ago March 1991 

Bonus - Leeds in the 2nd tier - 58 years ago Feb 1962

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

I don't see them as rivals anymore and I'm old enough to remember the flower beds they used to have behind the goal at Eastville. That was when they had a decent football team. I can remember Shepherd, Lloyd, several Jones', Graydon & Jarman. I couldn't tell you who plays for them now apart from Clarke Harris an that's because it's meaningless. The infrastructure of football clubs has got bigger and better at the top end and they have been left behind. The gulf is getting wider each season between Leagues 1 & 2 and then the Championship and beyond. Their rivals now have to be Swindon, Cheltenham and Forest Green.