Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Thats right rog knock the door and our mate would look out through the peephole if he didnt like the look of you it was a no but if you were lucky enough to get in it was packed and the stench of weed was overpowering 🤪🤪🤪🤪

That doesn’t sound like the Mandrake! 😇

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Definitely a cut above anything else in Bristol at that time.

I have to say rog our lots ideal of a good night out was a few pints in cannons then over to the sedan chair topless barmaids in stockings and suspenders vickys strip joint and the mandrake to finish god job we were bolloxed before we got vickys 🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Jesus - seems like most of us spent the early mid 80's getting pissed, watching strippers and getting stoned in Rasta clubs!

Are you saying that was a bad thing? :)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Do you mean the Dugout on Park Row?

Proper club! Back then a night out in Bristol was raw, special and superb - the kids had a riot and enjoyed every minute - we didn’t wake up every day and think “what can I be offended about today?!” - unlike today’s millennial snowflake darlings, we just got on with it - we went at it hard, on a tide of ska, punk, reggae and mod music - we didn’t care about anything, we just went for it - The Specials, The Beat, Madness, The Selecter, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Jam, The Who and The Kinks provided a spectacular backdrop to our teenage angst - we identified with everything they had to say because they realised who we were and they just ‘got’ us - we suddenly belonged and we enjoyed ourselves ... I miss those frenetic nights so bl**dy much - the 70s and the 80s shaped so many people on here - and those decades still make us who we are today ... great, special memories - cheers, and apologies for the rambling post ...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Jesus - seems like most of us spent the early mid 80's getting pissed, watching strippers and getting stoned in Rasta clubs!

2 out of 3 ain't bad

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Vickys - The one on the way to Clifton (Off Whiteladies Rd) ?

If so, always remember the old bouncer geezer looking out through the porthole in the door before they let you in!

Mod / Scooter Boy Friday night special,last stop with the Clifton Redland lot after a pub crawl in the mid eighties

One of the strippers took me home after the club closed one Friday. For free!  Happy days!

Ah memories of youth!

Remember the Rasta reggae club on Park Lane? You were stoned in 5 minutes of going in!

Vickys was up Park Street way. I think you may be thinking of the Globe Trotters.

Strippers and topless barmaids - had my 18th birthday in there...nuff said.

Used to go there, then round the corner to the Hawthornes on a thursday or friday night for grab a granny (grannies to us were anything over 30).

Happy days :yes:

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Proper club! Back then a night out in Bristol was raw, special and superb - the kids had a riot and enjoyed every minute - we didn’t wake up every day and think “what can I be offended about today?!” - unlike today’s millennial snowflake darlings, we just got on with it - we went at it hard, on a tide of ska, punk, reggae and mod music - we didn’t care about anything, we just went for it - The Specials, The Beat, Madness, The Selecter, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Jam, The Who and The Kinks provided a spectacular backdrop to our teenage angst - we identified with everything they had to say because they realised who we were and they just ‘got’ us - we suddenly belonged and we enjoyed ourselves ... I miss those frenetic nights so bl**dy much - the 70s and the 80s shaped so many people on here - and those decades still make us who we are today ... great, special memories - cheers, and apologies for the rambling post ...

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

Posted about the Globetrotters at the same time :laugh:

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

That's the one from my previous posts.

Bouncer would look through a porthole to let you in.

Real old skool - looked like a set from The Sweeney!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Popped  in once for a dry martine.

She moistened up after I gave her a tickle.

• Haha 3
On 13/01/2021 at 18:50, slartibartfast said:

Er..........probably, my mate was manager there in the 80's, a canny Glaswegian !

I used to pop down there Friday lunch times (for their scrummy bangers and mash,I never once looked at a stripper)             There was a 5p cover charge at the door, to keep out the riff-raff !

Once a week me and my mate both used to knock off school and have the same routine.

Pint in a pub somewhere on the way, lunchtime session in Hofbrauhaus - biology field trip I guess you’d call it.  Then we’d stroll up to City road and wander round City Road Motorcycles, looking at the Vincent Black Shadow and whatever else he had in.  Then down City Road, where at the time it wasn’t unusual to see the wares on display from upstairs windows.  

Next stop Fowler’s to look at the bikes, wander back past the Black and White Cafe, where the Rasta’s sat out side in a fog of Ganga smoke would call us names many of which were unintelligible, one that sticks to mind was blood clot.  Finally back to Bedminster and into Dons motorcycles to drool over the brand new Triumph  Bonnevilles with their price tag of £999.

Must have been easily pleased, as that was Thursday afternoons every week for my 5th year at school.......

• Like 2
13 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Got my membership to the Mandrake from Richard Potts, who ran the place and you’re right a popular place!

I used to go to the Mandrake and once a friend of mine had his wedding reception there. (I know this sounds crazy). I got rather inebriated and forgot it was a Saturday afternoon. When I left I thought it was 2.00 am and expected it to be dark. Instead I emerged into brilliant  sunshine and just couldn’t understand what had happened. 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

I have to say rog our lots ideal of a good night out was a few pints in cannons then over to the sedan chair topless barmaids in stockings and suspenders vickys strip joint and the mandrake to finish god job. 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Went to Vicky's a few times - most memorably to finish off my stag night pub crawl.

Well, actually I don't remember that much about it!

Always an unusual woman taking money at the door iirc, she must have been in her '70's with long hair dyed black - always wondered if it was Vicky herself?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Once a week me and my mate both used to knock off school and have the same routine.

Pint in a pub somewhere on the way, lunchtime session in Hofbrauhaus - biology field trip I guess you’d call it.  Then we’d stroll up to City road and wander round City Road Motorcycles, looking at the Vincent Black Shadow and whatever else he had in.  Then down City Road, where at the time it wasn’t unusual to see the wares on display from upstairs windows.  

Next stop Fowler’s to look at the bikes, wander back past the Black and White Cafe, where the Rasta’s sat out side in a fog of Ganga smoke would call us names many of which were unintelligible, one that sticks to mind was blood clot.  Finally back to Bedminster and into Dons motorcycles to drool over the brand new Triunmoh Bonnevilles with their price tag of £999.

Must have been easily pleased, as that was Thursday afternoons every week for my 5th year at school.......

Remind me, where was the original Fowlers ? I can't get past Temple Meads ! I know I'll go "'course it was" when someone reminds me !

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Went to Vicky's a few times - most memorably to finish off my stag night pub crawl.

Well, actually I don't remember that much about it!

Always an unusual woman taking money at the door iirc, she must have been in her '70's with long hair dyed black - always wondered if it was Vicky herself?

She was the star turn most night noggers

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

One of my first experiences of Bristol nightlife.

Met up with some schoolmates in Mad Harry's to go to the Hofbrauhaus one night - all underage, but we got in no problem.

Really enjoyed ourselves - in fact so much so we all ended up flat out on the pavement the moment we got outside!

Went to the lunchtime stripper session not long after - an eye opener indeed - and got (roughly) chucked out for 'overdoing things' again!

15 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Another great little club, commonly known as The Drug Out!

Always remember the bloke who took the money in the corridor - name escapes me but quite a character.

I never thought he liked me very much!!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of my first experiences of Bristol nightlife.

Met up with some schoolmates in Mad Harry's to go to the Hofbrauhaus one night - all underage, but we got in no problem.

Really enjoyed ourselves - in fact so much so we all ended up flat out on the pavement the moment we got outside!

Went to the lunchtime stripper session not long after - an eye opener indeed - and got (roughly) chucked out for 'overdoing things' again!

We used to knock off school and spend the day down town mad harrys was first port of call geting the bus home just before r mu got back from work