Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I to am a life long City supporter as many of us are but as I posted earlier in this thread I have no interest in the Gas or in slagging them off in this forum.

Thats not to say that I don't enjoy "debating" with some of the gasheads I know.  It's banter and always a laugh. No-one takes it seriously.

A mate of mine passed away earlier this year - a dedicted Gashead and season ticket holder at the Mem. He had three sons and one of them did his eulogy at the graveside. He mentioned that his dad had three sons and said "he brought two us the right way"  a tongue in cheek remark that his older brother is a City fan.....there was a chuckle at the gravesite. and lots of smiles even on a such a sad day.

How anyone can claim to "hate" the gasheads is simply ludicrous in my view.

Again, who are you to tell people whether they should or shouldn't "hate" them..?

I'm sure the vast majority of us on here know, work with or are even related to those of a Rovers persuasion. I doubt many actually "hate" them as individuals, but then it comes to football, I most certainly do "hate" everything about Rovers. 

Their inferiority complex, their thinking they are super fans, the history of our rivalry and outspoken venom towards City from different figure heads of their club. 

Even the sight of that ridiculous quartered shirt or the drone of the god awful "Irene" dirge make me feel physically sick. 

Does that make me immature..? Then so be it. As fans of my age and older will recall, we have plenty of old rivalry, disgraceful behaviour, antagonism and regularly derby day confrontation to keep the hostility very much at the forefront of our memories. 

If you are liberal enough to pass your experiences off and "forgive and forget", then good for you. 

I for one will despise Bristol Rovers until the day I die. That doesn't mean on a day to day basis that I "hate" every individual who follows them. 

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I to am a life long City supporter as many of us are but as I posted earlier in this thread I have no interest in the Gas or in slagging them off in this forum.

Thats not to say that I don't enjoy "debating" with some of the gasheads I know.  It's banter and always a laugh. No-one takes it seriously.

A mate of mine passed away earlier this year - a dedicted Gashead and season ticket holder at the Mem. He had three sons and one of them did his eulogy at the graveside. He mentioned that his dad had three sons and said "he brought two us the right way"  a tongue in cheek remark that his older brother is a City fan.....there was a chuckle at the gravesite. and lots of smiles even on a such a sad day.

"It's banter and a laugh. No one takes it seriously"

Sounds quite a lot like this thread. That the 'reasonable' gasheads are made to feel relatively welcome on a City forum and aren't immediately banned (unlike elsewhere) shows a huge amount of maturity IMHO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roylegalatyeo said:

Perhaps they want to move in at AG and hope we go bust!Sounds familiar,didnt they do that to Bristol Rfc?

Yes, they did indeed. 

They also did once try that at Ashton Gate for a short time in the early 80's, iirc. 

Thankfully that didn't work out and they went off to Bath. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Calm down Robbo, there's not a single Rovers fan I know that I dislike but as a club they are parasites and pathological liars

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

there's not a single Rovers fan I know that I dislike but as a club they are parasites and pathological liars

That's more like it! 

A sensible reply at last and sums up what I've been trying to get at..........:clapping:

Edited by Robbored

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

And there sums up the retarded mentality of the blue few. 

Do you not understand that the reason we mock your shithole of a ground is because it actually is, literally, the worst ground in the football league and the fact that your "billionaire"owner deems it fitting for "the 6th richest club in England" to put up another tent with seats and a 4ft roof over the Directors bar entrance is in a whole different galaxy to Ashton Gate, which has been developed into one of the most impressive, uniquely designed stadiums (not biggest, before you try and twist it) in the country.

#gaslogic

Trashcan Gate/Trashton Gate has been used to describe your stadium for years. Yes, it is about as relevant now as us being called Gasheads, over 25 years after leaving Eastville - some things just stick.

Thanks for your comment on my mentality, although it has been assesed by people far more qualified than you.

7 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Trashcan Gate/Trashton Gate has been used to describe your stadium for years. Yes, it is about as relevant now as us being called Gasheads, over 25 years after leaving Eastville - some things just stick.

Thanks for your comment on my mentality, although it has been assesed by people far more qualified than you.

I've heard your lot label it Trashton Gate several times; Trash Can is a new one on me.

Let's face it though, it's never been relevant - you've always had a hovel compared to our place...Eastville, Twerton and your current slum are far worse than Ashton Gate ever was.

Edited by WestonRobin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sirscrumpton said:

Really? Have you seen what Ashton Gate looks like these days?

Not in person - will have to wait for the gap to close a bit more! Looks quite impressive from the photos I've seen though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, In the Net said:

You've never had a better stadium than us #gaslogic

28 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

You've never had a better stadium than us #gaslogic

Sorry if this has been mentioned before , But how many Rovers fans are Bristol Rugby supporter's and will be proud to walk into Ashton Gate to support Bristol Rugby as I am to support Bristol City if not then my money is on them lying or blue with envy.

I know a few Rover's fan's that watch Bath Rugby and will be going to Ashton Gate when Bath visit i can't wait to hear what they've got to say about our new stadium.

19 minutes ago, billyboy50 said:

I know a few Rover's fan's that watch Bath Rugby and will be going to Ashton Gate when Bath visit i can't wait to hear what they've got to say about our new stadium.

Don't let them use the Gents !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't let them use the Gents !

Ha Ha I used drive Bristol rugby supporters to away games and trust me if all rugby fans drink like them they won't be able to hold out for long ( great away days ) . not as good as city away days as i let someone else drive then i can have a few beers 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I to am a life long City supporter as many of us are but as I posted earlier in this thread I have no interest in the Gas 

So why did you go to see Rovers play at Wembley? 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That is such an obnoxious reply! 

Who are you to tell people what they should find humorous and who or where to post their "banter"..?

If there were numerous threads appearing, then you'd have some point, but with everything appearing in one thread, clearly entitled to suggest the topic of content that it may contain, it's easy to avoid if people's reference to your friends is not to your own particular taste. 

As a 37 year old lifelong City supporter, damn right I enjoy mocking the blue few at the never ending shambles that is their club. 

You have every right not to like it, not to partake in the ridicule and be the more mature, forgive and forget type pacifist. 

Just as I and others have the right to comment on each and every episode of their, quite frankly hilarious, circus and mock their dillusional beliefs. Especially on a thread clearly entitled "Bristol Rovers"

Get off your high horse and stop re-confirming the views of many on here, that you are a cantankerous old git with a sickening soft spot for those in Horfield who in return, dillusionally mock us every bit as we do to them. 

He posts obnoxious replies like he does, not because he is 'mature'...but because he loves the attention. He craves it in fact 

He loves playing the pantomime villain...I've never known anyone like it. When attention starts to diminish....he posts something else antagonistic . He always gets a rise...and once again, his need for attention is fulfilled.

If anyone should grow up....it should be @Robbored

• Like 7

Since this thread has adopted an Americanism all by itself, I thought I get off my chest two other Americanisms I can't stand.

1.  Do the math:. It's not even do the maths, it's do the arithmetic 

2.  Back in the day: A lazy man's/women's "back in the days of yore", which is more lyrical.

Now can somebody please change the title to the Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

So why did you go to see Rovers play at Wembley? 

Doing mates a favour. 

Dont you help your mates out? Assuming you have mates of course....

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Doing mates a favour. 

Would I take a load of mates to go and watch Rovers play at Wembley..? 

Like **** would I..!

I'd rather gauge my eyes out with a rusty spoon. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Malago said:

Since this thread has adopted an Americanism all by itself, I thought I get off my chest two other Americanisms I can't stand.

1.  Do the math:. It's not even do the maths, it's do the arithmetic 

2.  Back in the day: A lazy man's/women's "back in the days of yore", which is more lyrical.

Now can somebody please change the title to the Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread.

Don't get me started on"can I get" just don't ok 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would I take a load of mates to go and watch Rovers play at Wembley..? 

Like **** would I..!

I'd rather gauge my eyes out with a rusty spoon. 

You have mates?  

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

Can I get you to elaborate on that please. What is it exactly you don't like about it :ph34r:

Grrrrrrrr.........if I was serving people, be it food, bar or whatever and somone started with "can I get" I would reply "NO....I am paid the minimum wage to get it for you, just give me the friggin money "

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You have mates?  

Not only do I have mates, I don't have to lower myself to them being Rovers fans. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

Grrrrrrrr.........if I was serving people, be it food, bar or whatever and somone started with "can I get" I would reply "NO....I am paid the minimum wage to get it for you, just give me the friggin money "

By tweaking your customer service skills, you could progress beyond the minimum wages positions. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Doing mates a favour. 

Very nice of you to help them out, but why did you hire a minibus? A motor bike and sidecar would surely have been sufficient! 

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

By tweaking your customer service skills, you could progress beyond the minimum wages positions. 

Re-read and fully inhale the word "IF " but a good shout non the less, maybe I could wear a tabard with lots of badges on to prove I'm a customer kinda guy....Doh !

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

I ****** hate that phrase !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

aye you are correct,

28    Postponements and Abandonments – Procedures for Re-Arrangement and Refunds 

28.1    In the event of any League Match not being played owing to Football Association Cup Matches, weather or other causes over which neither Club has any control or being ordered to be replayed it shall be played on a date to be mutually arranged, but at the earliest reasonable opportunity and in any event prior to the last scheduled round of fixtures in the Normal Playing Season. Both Clubs shall notify The League of such arrangements within seven days of the postponement being identified, for the approval of The League. Any League Match not so arranged shall have its date fixed by The League. 

28.2    Notwithstanding the provisions of Regulation 28.1, The League reserves the right at any time to reschedule a League Match after consultation with and consideration of representations from the Clubs involved. 

28.3    Each Club must ensure that both: 

28.3.1    its home ground (being the ground that is registered in accordance with Regulation 13.6); and 

28.3.2    any Registered Players, 

remain available to the Club during the period of 4 days commencing with the day after the day of the Club’s last fixture in the League Competition (including play off matches) so as to enable the fulfilment of any fixtures (in full or in part) ordered by The League to be played after the end of the Season (if any). 

28.4    Every Club must have a publicly stated policy regarding ticket refunds or other arrangements for abandoned Matches. 
Read more at http://www.efl.com/global/section5.aspx#Zyql0GVUWtr5CjXv.99

generally anything after the 60th minute (rovers was called off in the 61st) then clubs don't refund tickets

The game stopped in the 60th minute i.e. fractionally before an hour had been played - however that's not really the point. The club should do the decent thing rather than hide behind the letter of the law.

Would you be happy to pay again having paid once for a match that was ultimately null and void, having watched only two-thirds?

Incidentally does anyone know if we had to pay again after the floodlight failure against Liverpool?!

9 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Was the money all right? The ink didn't run?

nah was fine, it was presented to me in an envelope which the announcer then put in a tesco bag!

Over the tannoy he got my surname mixed up with the place i live as well... so I was announced as Mr Hanham !

When I got back to my seat, all the people in the row clapped, apparently not for winning but for braving the torrential downpour.

5 hours ago, billyboy50 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before , But how many Rovers fans are Bristol Rugby supporter's and will be proud to walk into Ashton Gate to support Bristol Rugby as I am to support Bristol City if not then my money is on them lying or blue with envy.

I support both North Bristol clubs. Your new stadium is undeniably superb but I'd rather Bris were still playing at home. Jealous? Not really, most clubs in the top 2 divisions have a stadium on a par with, or better, than yours and I'm not envious of them either. 

Better facilities and a higher standard of football definitely gives you a massive advantage when attracting neutrals and new fans. But the "gap" will never be big enough for me to consider switching my allegiance. I'm sure those of you who stayed loyal during the early 80's will know exactly what I mean.

up.         The.           Gas.

Edited by Bluebeard

49 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The game stopped in the 60th minute i.e. fractionally before an hour had been played - however that's not really the point. The club should do the decent thing rather than hide behind the letter of the law.

Would you be happy to pay again having paid once for a match that was ultimately null and void, having watched only two-thirds?

Incidentally does anyone know if we had to pay again after the floodlight failure against Liverpool?!

From memory, the tickets were really cheap for the re-arranged game.

39 minutes ago, Bluebeard said:

I support both North Bristol clubs. Your new stadium is undeniably superb but I'd rather Bris were still playing at home. Jealous? Not really, most clubs in the top 2 divisions have a stadium on a par with, or better, than yours and I'm not envious of them either. 

Better facilities and a higher standard of football definitely gives you a massive advantage when attracting neutrals and new fans. But the "gap" will never be big enough for me to consider switching my allegiance. I'm sure those of you who stayed loyal during the early 80's will know exactly what I mean.

Shouldn't have stolen their ground then.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Bluebeard said:

I would not want anyone to switching allegiance because of a better stadium or the "gap " those fans that are loyal stay loyal which I have for over 40 years , and don't worry with your new mega rich owner you will one day have your new stadium .Bristol City would not be where they are today if not for the millions of pounds put in by SL so i hope your new owner is true to his word and you get your new ground but I would'nt want anyone to hold their breath waiting for that day to come.

I think you will find that Bristol Rugby are playing at home this weekend coming. I wonder what the crowd will be and how many like the new Ashton Gate and how many would want to move back to the Mem .

Down the Gas

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Ha ha - in the away end that night, as usual.

What?! How dare you! 

The mere thought of a gas head in the away end at Ashton Gate when it isn't a derby makes me want to punch a horse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, awbb said:

What?! How dare you! 

The mere thought of a gas head in the away end at Ashton Gate when it isn't a derby makes me want to punch a horse.

It did feel a bit strange, but my son was very young and he wanted to see Liverpool play. :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Bluebeard said:

I support both North Bristol clubs. Your new stadium is undeniably superb but I'd rather Bris were still playing at home.

Bristol rugby is called Bristol rugby because it irepresents Bristol and they have a home called Ashton Gate. You are patently a Rovers fan first and foremost because no true Bristol rugby fan would continue to line the pockets of an organisation that stitched up the rugby club so disgracefuly  I'm glad incidentally that you support the rugby club North Bristol as teams in the Gloucestershire Premier league need as much support as possible and of course their facilities are better than those at the Mem.

• Like 2

Back on the Swindon tickets, only giving Rovers the expensive tickets and not opening the cheaper bank behind the goal. This is why Swindon are the club I dislike the most. I want to beat Rovers more than anyone else but when it comes to horrible little clubs in horrible little Towns, Swindon take the biscuit. 

• Like 9

Had to chuckle at this, why would all kids want a postcard of him?

Pre-order now via the club shop or the online store and receive a Back to School package for free. 

The package includes:

• Water Bottle
  • Pen
  • Pencil
  • Pencil Sharpener
  • Pencil Eraser
  • Ruler
  • A postcard of Matty Taylor

Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/get-your-back-to-school-package-now-when-pre-ordering-junior-shirts-3293151.aspx#og8WptFGXXHoxFG7.99

EARLY WARNING TO AVOID BBC1

On Thursday, Goeff Twentyman is taking his "Having a Gas" show to the Mem.

This is because that night BBC Bristol are holding a special preview screening of a film they've made all about the new owners of the club, the Al Qadi family. 

Inside Out West flew out to Jordan to film with them at home, find out more about them, who they are and why the wanted to buy Rovers, what their hopes are for the club, what's the vision for the future. 

This will be shown on BBC One ultimately, but we've got an exclusive preview Thursday night, at the Mem, just for Gasheads. 

The club have been given 10 pairs of tickets for the event to give away to supporters.
Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/inside-out-west-the-al-qadi-family-3292398.aspx#1wQvfmSmjVqEiXOg.99

EARLY WARNING TO AVOID BBC1

On Thursday, Goeff Twentyman is taking his "Having a Gas" show to the Mem.

This is because that night BBC Bristol are holding a special preview screening of a film they've made all about the new owners of the club, the Al Qadi family. 

Inside Out West flew out to Jordan to film with them at home, find out more about them, who they are and why the wanted to buy Rovers, what their hopes are for the club, what's the vision for the future. 

This will be shown on BBC One ultimately, but we've got an exclusive preview Thursday night, at the Mem, just for Gasheads. 

The club have been given 10 pairs of tickets for the event to give away to supporters.
Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/inside-out-west-the-al-qadi-family-3292398.aspx#1wQvfmSmjVqEiXOg.99