Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

OH how I seriously hope this link works.  Previously unreleased footage of the original contract talks.  Can't believe this hasn't surfaced before!

http://captiongenerator.com/50159/Those-contract-negotiations-in-full

Not done a stroke of work since 1030hrs............ and proud of it!

Edited by jackofromrugby
  • Like 6

It isn't as simple as that.  The market for farming produce is utterly dominated by supermarkets.  There is, in essence, no market for their goods outside of the supermarkets themselves so they are merely puppets and have no other choice.

They need support from the government (laugh!) - they can't do it with piecemeal demos or refusing to sell, thus nailing their own coffin shut.

They already have support and also have massive subsidies from the EU

They already have support and also have massive subsidies from the EU

Arguably.  Rather than the taxpayer footing the bill through subsidy though, the supermarket should be made to pay a fair price in the first place.  While there is no effective monopoly the supermarkets should be made to play ball.

Governments in the pockets of business though.

Hopefully not as Sainsbury's do employ a lot of people, but saying that there is bound to be some knock on from a drop in sales of Special Brew at stores across north Bristol due to Ragass fans boycotting said stores.

it will be far outweighed by the increase in profits due to the sudden decline in shoplifting. all we need now is a superstore at the uwe, sainsburys maybe???

• Like 2

Arguably.  Rather than the taxpayer footing the bill through subsidy though, the supermarket should be made to pay a fair price in the first place.  While there is no effective monopoly the supermarkets should be made to play ball.

It's the wrong thread to go into but it was inital farmer greed that got themselves into this predicament,

Made in Bristol TV channel Facebook page, check out this beauty -

This shows that supermarkets are not about building communities they are about making huge profits. The way they have treated farmers over the years shows their true colours. Rotten to the core.

People who make these sort of comments are living in a fantasy world. Of course supermarkets try to make a profit as this is the objective of any business. The directors of any business have a legal responsibility to make the company a success. This is something the Sainsbury's directors are aware of, but something Nick Higgs seems to have forgotten.
  • Like 1

The thing is, where do you draw the line ?

Give dairy farmers minimum price protection; and other suppliers / industries will want the same.

I sell a manufactured product, we don't have any price protection from cheap shitty foreign imports, what make farmers special ?

F.W.I.W. I still have milk delivered to the doorstep. It's (a lot) more expensive, but I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am keeping a milkman employed. The milk he supplies is not hammered down on price by the supermarkets either, so it helps the farmers.

We, as consumers can always help, by not insisting upon buying the cheapest product, all the time.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 1

This is brilliant news. After decades of scrounging their way around and surviving on a life support machine, is this finally the moment the plug has been pulled? Has their luck finally ran out?

Just wish they hadn't got out of the pub league - would have been the PERFECT summer !

Sorry i'll take the piss out of r*vers at any opportunity, but this is frankly a terrible decision for our City.

No its not. Its a commercial decision by Sainsbury not wanted to build a supermarket ,its nothing to do with the mayor,the council, nimbys or the so called green lobby. If the Rovers had the finance the ground would have been built. The fact is there are a two bit dodgy outfit who deserves nothing.
  • Like 1

I just saw Nick Higgs on BBC local news feeling sorry for himself and complaining that Rovers only lost on a techicality. He just doesn't grasp that "technicalities" are the clauses and sub clauses of any contract and are the basis of the agreement. If you don't comply with these "technicalities" then you lose. Simple

• Like 2

I wonder how that bloke who lived through the Thatcher years, 2 divorces, and the death of his dog is feeling now?

Probably feeling his foot, the one he just kicked his dog with.

Edited by NOTR

I think the campaign for 300,000 Gas to boycott Sainsbury's is gonna fly.

They've been in training for this for ages, in fact the top 50,000 even made a coordinated effort to no go to the non-league play off final.

Cracking effort that.

Corrected that for you.