Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

2 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Steve Lansdown worth 2billion... Bristol Rovers new chairman worth 65billion.

The number keeps going up and up.............

I am sure it's been mentioned but if someone is worth £65 billion (sterling I presume) why would they buy a club worth, well, a few sheckles?

i suspect the net worth is somewhat wide of the mark. 

Look like decent buyers for Rovers though having taken over the assets of HSBC in Jordan and also in the hotel business. Looks like knights in shining armour.

The Gas get gobbled by Oil.

Good luck to them.

• Like 1

Can't believe on their forum they are saying we are 'bitter' and 'very unhappy' about this....aren't we just commenting on a big story about their club which has broken today?!

Blimey, why would we be bitter or unhappy? We've got a richer, Bristolian owner....

• Like 1

They may build them the new stadium but a massive 'war chest' is worthless with FFP ... And as 3 of the 4 stands won't be needed on match days I can't think their income will be much to sing about ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

It gets better....my delusional brother in law (who is a very sad sag) moments ago in a phone call crowing to me...I quote;

Him -"How does it feel to know we're as big as Chelsea and Man City now"

Me - "Your not"

Him - "Yes we are he's worth 1.5 Billion"

Me - "No he's not"

Him - "Well I can tell you now put money on us winning League Two next year"

Me - "No you won't"

Him - "Oh fxxk off"...hangs up

:yawn:

Their main wealth is the AJIB (who bought HSBC Jordan)  after tax that entire bank made just over 22 million in profit. Put that into context of our clubs accounts and losses, and you can see that these are not wealthy people who are going to plough lots of money into the club. More likely a sensible pair of hands that will inject cash and steer them safely, but nothing extravagant.

• Like 2

Not sure about what has happened but some odd Jordanian investing in Rovers apparently. Your oil is shit though. More like sand. Did you ever go to school? Notts County springs to mind. Shit happens but hopefully you are not as(s) cluesless as it looks. This City need stiif competition to wake Steve Lansdown and his poorly runned investment a live. Don't disappoint us.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I haven't read all through this thread) but there's a lot to be said for the saying 'if something appears to be too good to be true then it probably is'.

• Like 3

Why are we labelling them "sell outs" and renaming the thread as such?

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

• Like 5

Keep an eye on thier attendance tomorrow,should be sell out surely,what with them being one of the richest clubs in the world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Keep an eye on thier attendance tomorrow,should be sell out surely,what with them being one of the richest clubs in the world.

Well yeah.. The gas have sold out.. then there's the question of their attendance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

Well yeah.. The gas have sold out.. then there's the question of their attendance.

Didn't even realise what I was writing there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's a lottery. Why not Braintree Town in the Premier League? Not that the Jordanian tossers now about Braintree. It's a sick world.

Edited by bristolcitysweden

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

a more innocent age "a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool?"

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

10 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

I get what you're saying but I still don't think relabelling the thread "sell out" does anything other than make us look bitter, because it doesn't really describe the situation. Not a clever call by the mods, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's a lottery. Why not Braintree Town in the Premier League? Not that the Jordanian tossers now about Braintree. It's a sick world.

I have literally no idea what this means or indeed how this relates to my post in any way.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have literally no idea what this means or indeed how this relates to my post in any way.

Deary me. That's just made me laugh a lot. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

But what "thing" have they become that "they always claimed to despise"?

They have more money but the identity of the club remains unchanged. Are you saying if you asked 100 Rovers fans in the street if they wanted more money to make their club more competitive they would all say they "despise" that? I doubt that.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Why don't you **** off to the rovers forum

rather then be all high and mighty about their take over as if it suddenly justifies them,

nothing has change they still haven't got a new ground or spent a penny

Well constructed reply, not. Sounds like you are in a bit of denial here. It must mean they will become a real adversary to us, something to look forward to, unless you actually enjoy having the stigma in Bristol of having a non league outfit that actually does Bristol City FC no favours at all, especially when we are lumped together with them by the less well informed.   As Sweden says this might encourage SL to kick on a bit more, especially with the Bristol Sport ethos, can't see he would want to be considered the poor man of Bristol Sport really.

What do you say Monkeh? Think before you type mind, just for a change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Why don't you **** off to the rovers forum

rather then be all high and mighty about their take over as if it suddenly justifies them,

nothing has change they still haven't got a new ground or spent a penny

New server all over the place, new balls please.

Edited by ten minutes of rough

I don't know why people get so funny about this. Who cares what they do. Good on them - there is no loyalty in football these days from a player perspective so why should it be any different when it comes to who the owner is or how much money they're prepared to plow in to their club.  Years ago I'm sure many here would have accepted a similar situation at our club. Luckily we have SL.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

Having listened to the interview with the new owners sounds like they aren't going to splash the cash other than pay off the outstanding debts, more interested in developing from the academy. I'm not sure they're as wealthy as some think or they'd be after a bigger club than the Gas.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-02-19/jordanian-billionaire-why-i-bought-bristol-rovers/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

I don't know why people get so funny about this. Who cares what they do. Good on them - there is no loyalty in football these days from a player perspective so why should it be any different when it comes to who the owner is or how much money they're prepared to plow in to their club.  Years ago I'm sure many here would have accepted a similar situation at our club. Luckily we have SL.

Plough...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Steve Lansdown needs a good kick up his ass anyway, The sooner the better.

He doesn't need a kick in the ass, he needs guidance and the right people around him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But what "thing" have they become that "they always claimed to despise"?

They have more money but the identity of the club remains unchanged. Are you saying if you asked 100 Rovers fans in the street if they wanted more money to make their club more competitive they would all say they "despise" that? I doubt that.

'Claimed' to despise CR....I never believed them for a second

At the end of the day they are now the 'plaything' of a very wealthy man...a 'Sugardaddy'. In the past a lot of their fans have critisised and mocked City for the way we are financed however as soon as a foreign investor with a few quid comes along promising the good times they're quite happy to forget about that.

Personally I think it's a good thing if only because they won't be able to use the same excuses anymore about lack of money being the reason why their crowds and league position don't match ours. It'll be interesting to see how confident they are with their new owners if things go badly...how often have we heard predictions of Lansdown walking away leaving us fuq ed? Good luck with the Jordanian Chelsea fan if it all goes tits up.

Maybe it won't go tits up, who knows? I just think they don't realise (some Gasheads) how difficult it actually is to buy success....not that they'd ever wet their pants with excitement about the mere suggestion of buying success. :disapointed2se:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

I know the sell outs have lost the tiny self respect they had as a football club today, but surely, SURELY they won't be dressing up as arabs tomorrow?

No they will be dressing up for the valentines ball.