IGNORED

Plastic Mancs

bengalcub

9 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Doing your usual.....

Feel free to add some substance or troll elsewhere .

Troll?! Who do you think you are??!! Get a grip - pointing out that ‘real mancs’ include Man City fans is not trolling - unable to accept responses to your posts isn’t a brill trait on a discussion forum ... and to add a bit of substance, as you requested - neither your thread title or OP mentions Man United at all - you were wanging on about ‘real mancs’ without mentioning the club - so I just said that ‘real mancs’ can include Man City fans - and you over-reacted, as usual ...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Troll?! Who do you think you are??!! Get a grip - pointing out that ‘real mancs’ include Man City fans is not trolling - unable to accept responses to your posts isn’t a brill trait on a discussion forum ...

Scroll up buddy you and a couple others do the same thing constantly its boring , you just troll the op looking for cheap shots , prob why myself and a lot of others dont start topics very often ,

being a troll aint a good trait on a discussion forum bit it if the shoe fits ...

Just now, bengalcub said:

Scroll up buddy you and a couple others do the same thing constantly its boring , you just troll the op looking for cheap shots , prob why myself and a lot of others dont start topics very often ,

being a troll aint a good trait on a discussion forum bit it if the shoe fits ...

You love the word ‘troll’ and throw it around freely .... and incorrectly - anyway, have a good day ...

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Is is though? Most United fans recognise they haven't a hope in hell of winning the Champions League next season. But to them, Liverpool winning the title is like Rovers winning the title to us. In other words, it would be unbearable.

But if they don't qualify for the CL then some of their better players will want to leave for a team in the CL and they will struggle to attract top players to the club.   That will make OGS job nigh on impossible to keep Man U at the PL top table unless he turns out to be a top, top coach and I think the jury is out on that one. 

A Man U fan who wants them to lose to give Man C the title to stop Liverpool winning it?  Thick as shit.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, we don’t “all have them”

I suppose it depends how desperate you are for “mates” I honestly can’t imagine a situation where I was surrounded by plastic Mancs and was referring to them as my “mates”. 

So you choose your mates based on the team they support ?

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely that would be if Man City won it..?! Liverpool winning it would be more like Cardiff or Swindon winning it..?!

And for some of us, Swindon winning it would be worse than Rovers! 

9 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

But if they don't qualify for the CL then some of their better players will want to leave for a team in the CL and they will struggle to attract top players to the club.   That will make OGS job nigh on impossible to keep Man U at the PL top table unless he turns out to be a top, top coach and I think the jury is out on that one. 

A Man U fan who wants them to lose to give Man C the title to stop Liverpool winning it?  Thick as shit.

Reading the Man United forum, I think most fans on there want to clear out most of the current squad anyway - including the so-say 'better' players 

You could understand it slightly if United had nothing to play for but they are in serious danger of missing out on the CL and need a result. Would those fans wanting a City win be happy with the Europa league really?

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wonderful topic. Really interesting.

You didn't have to comment. It's more interesting than reading about selling our players before the season is even over or how we've "bottled it" with 3 games to go and all to play for.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

So you choose your mates based on the team they support ?

And for some of us, Swindon winning it would be worse than Rovers! 

No, I just find I don’t have much in common with people who’d rather “support” a team like either Manchester club, rather than their local team. It goes deeper than simply the team they support. It indicates a certain mindset and personality and I generally don’t have much in common with people who make those kind of choices. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

No, I just find I don’t have much in common with people who’d rather “support” a team like either Manchester club, rather than their local team. It goes deeper than simply the team they support. It indicates a certain mindset and personality and I generally don’t have much in common with people who make those kind of choices. 

Completely agree with this. There is definitely a correlation between those football fans who pick a top team to support out of thin air and people that are highly annoying, insecure, full of crap banter and awful football knowledge. 

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Interesting. Absolutely never seen any correlation between what team someone supports and personality traits that make them a good mate ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Interesting. Absolutely never seen any correlation between what team someone supports and personality traits that make them a good mate ?‍♂️

I certainly have. 

It’s not a measure of their ability to be a good mate. I’m just unlikely to get on that well with someone who’d rather sit in front of a TV, cheering on a team that they’ve never seen, from a place they’ve probably never even been too, rather than supporting their local team and being a part of the club and all that goes with it. 

My social circle largely consists of people that I go to football with. Some of whom I played football with. My best/longest friendship is with a Rovers fan, who I respect far more for taking his boys to watch them every other week, rather than some numpty who cheers on Man United, in a Bristolian accent. 

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I am certainly falling out of love with top flight football. Not long ago I would be looking forward to tonight massively. Think I’m going to have one eye on it whilst watching Babestation.

Me too..!

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

I wouldn’t class sitting in front of the TV as being very committed. 

It’s misguided (imho) to be one of those getting coaches from Temple leads to go and watch other teams, but at least they are actually going. 

You often here the most plastic fans spouting out the old “but you can’t get tickets” line. Bollocks..! I bet if I really wanted a ticket to the Manc derby tonight, then I’d have been able to get one. Likewise with any other game. 

I’m sorry, but with football so easily available (location wise) to pretty much everyone, there is no reason to not support a team who you are local too. Even if you then follow one of the big boys as a secondary thing. 

To regard sitting in front of a TV screen as the only way that you watch the team you “support” is a joke. Even the tv coverage of lower league football (championship down) is having an effect on attendances. Especially away followings and it’s terrible for the game. 

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Is it?  I was born a City fan and will be CTID.

I wasn't, I grew up in Weston with non-football supporting parents. As a child I 'supported' various clubs including Man Utd and QPR! It wasn't until I was 15 that a cousin took me along to watch City and I got hooked. If it wasn't for that cousin I could easily have been a plastic manc. There but for the grace of god.....

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

As a child you need someone to take you along, otherwise you just never get hooked. With the armchair fan location has nothing at all to do with it.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wouldn’t class sitting in front of the TV as being very committed. 

It’s misguided (imho) to be one of those getting coaches from Temple leads to go and watch other teams, but at least they are actually going. 

You often here the most plastic fans spouting out the old “but you can’t get tickets” line. Bollocks..! I bet if I really wanted a ticket to the Manc derby tonight, then I’d have been able to get one. Likewise with any other game. 

I’m sorry, but with football so easily available (location wise) to pretty much everyone, there is no reason to not support a team who you are local too. Even if you then follow one of the big boys as a secondary thing. 

To regard sitting in front of a TV screen as the only way that you watch the team you “support” is a joke. Even the tv coverage of lower league football (championship down) is having an effect on attendances. Especially away followings and it’s terrible for the game. 

It's an emotional commitment of sorts, and nothing at all like being a City fan. The two experiences are very different. Everyone on here knows the difference, and that the two can't compare. Unfortunately for many, they never get to experience live professional football, or at least, not until they are already committed to one of the 'big boys'.

My company is based in Trafford Park and I’m actually up there this week. Believe it or not there are genuine Manure fans. Guys living in Stretford, Urmston etc. They view tonight as like picking between syphillis and gonnorohea. They hate Liverpool more than City but only just. Hehe. I almost feel sorry for them. 

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If I meet any Bristolian plastic Mancs / Liverpool / Chelsea “fans”, my retort is usually along the lines of :

“Havent you grown out of that yet, just like all the others you were at school with ?”

It draws some interesting reactions & expressions.

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Good effort. 

Utterly disagree. They are the very people that devalue what it really means to be a fan. Read what Bobby Robson said about the lure of St James Park. 

TV fans who never go to watch games in person have just about nothing in common with fans who live and breathe the experience of being taken to games by their parents, meeting fellow fans at the game, sharing the highs and the lows, hugging complete strangers. 

They're an embarrassment to themselves imo. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Good effort. 

Utterly disagree. They are the very people that devalue what it really means to be a fan. Read what Bobby Robson said about the lure of St James Park. 

TV fans who never go to watch games in person have just about nothing in common with fans who live and breathe the experience of being taken to games by their parents, meeting fellow fans at the game, sharing the highs and the lows, hugging complete strangers. 

They're an embarrassment to themselves imo. 

I think that sums it up completely 

Archived