Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
bengalcub

Plastic Mancs

Recommended Posts

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs

Is it?  I was born a City fan and will be CTID.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

I wouldn’t class sitting in front of the TV as being very committed. 

It’s misguided (imho) to be one of those getting coaches from Temple leads to go and watch other teams, but at least they are actually going. 

You often here the most plastic fans spouting out the old “but you can’t get tickets” line. Bollocks..! I bet if I really wanted a ticket to the Manc derby tonight, then I’d have been able to get one. Likewise with any other game. 

I’m sorry, but with football so easily available (location wise) to pretty much everyone, there is no reason to not support a team who you are local too. Even if you then follow one of the big boys as a secondary thing. 

To regard sitting in front of a TV screen as the only way that you watch the team you “support” is a joke. Even the tv coverage of lower league football (championship down) is having an effect on attendances. Especially away followings and it’s terrible for the game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Is it?  I was born a City fan and will be CTID.

I wasn't, I grew up in Weston with non-football supporting parents. As a child I 'supported' various clubs including Man Utd and QPR! It wasn't until I was 15 that a cousin took me along to watch City and I got hooked. If it wasn't for that cousin I could easily have been a plastic manc. There but for the grace of god.....

 

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

As a child you need someone to take you along, otherwise you just never get hooked. With the armchair fan location has nothing at all to do with it.

 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wouldn’t class sitting in front of the TV as being very committed. 

It’s misguided (imho) to be one of those getting coaches from Temple leads to go and watch other teams, but at least they are actually going. 

You often here the most plastic fans spouting out the old “but you can’t get tickets” line. Bollocks..! I bet if I really wanted a ticket to the Manc derby tonight, then I’d have been able to get one. Likewise with any other game. 

I’m sorry, but with football so easily available (location wise) to pretty much everyone, there is no reason to not support a team who you are local too. Even if you then follow one of the big boys as a secondary thing. 

To regard sitting in front of a TV screen as the only way that you watch the team you “support” is a joke. Even the tv coverage of lower league football (championship down) is having an effect on attendances. Especially away followings and it’s terrible for the game. 

It's an emotional commitment of sorts, and nothing at all like being a City fan. The two experiences are very different. Everyone on here knows the difference, and that the two can't compare. Unfortunately for many, they never get to experience live professional football, or at least, not until they are already committed to one of the 'big boys'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My company is based in Trafford Park and I’m actually up there this week. Believe it or not there are genuine Manure fans. Guys living in Stretford, Urmston etc. They view tonight as like picking between syphillis and gonnorohea. They hate Liverpool more than City but only just. Hehe. I almost feel sorry for them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

If I meet any Bristolian plastic Mancs / Liverpool / Chelsea “fans”, my retort is usually along the lines of :

“Havent you grown out of that yet, just like all the others you were at school with ?”

It draws some interesting reactions & expressions.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

Good effort. 

Utterly disagree. They are the very people that devalue what it really means to be a fan. Read what Bobby Robson said about the lure of St James Park. 

TV fans who never go to watch games in person have just about nothing in common with fans who live and breathe the experience of being taken to games by their parents, meeting fellow fans at the game, sharing the highs and the lows, hugging complete strangers. 

They're an embarrassment to themselves imo. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Good effort. 

Utterly disagree. They are the very people that devalue what it really means to be a fan. Read what Bobby Robson said about the lure of St James Park. 

TV fans who never go to watch games in person have just about nothing in common with fans who live and breathe the experience of being taken to games by their parents, meeting fellow fans at the game, sharing the highs and the lows, hugging complete strangers. 

They're an embarrassment to themselves imo. 

I think that sums it up completely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

Spot on - and the word ‘plastic’ is thrown about on here by people with zero knowledge of what it means - hence their complete silence when challenged on it - even Reading fans have been called ‘plastic’ on here recently - ridiculous .....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

My company is based in Trafford Park and I’m actually up there this week. Believe it or not there are genuine Manure fans. Guys living in Stretford, Urmston etc. They view tonight as like picking between syphillis and gonnorohea. They hate Liverpool more than City but only just. Hehe. I almost feel sorry for them. 

This.

The company I work for has a UK office in Irlam, between Manchester and Warrington and Tony is spot on. Utd fans despise City but not quite as much as they despise Liverpool. Utd fans can't win either way but to lose to City in that manner will have hurt, I've no doubt about that. Luckily, I'm back up there next week and not this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This.

The company I work for has a UK office in Irlam, between Manchester and Warrington and Tony is spot on. Utd fans despise City but not quite as much as they despise Liverpool. Utd fans can't win either way but to lose to City in that manner will have hurt, I've no doubt about that. Luckily, I'm back up there next week and not this. 

 

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

My company is based in Trafford Park and I’m actually up there this week. Believe it or not there are genuine Manure fans. Guys living in Stretford, Urmston etc. They view tonight as like picking between syphillis and gonnorohea. They hate Liverpool more than City but only just. Hehe. I almost feel sorry for them. 

It’s not about who they hate the most. Surely it’s about their own hopes of finishing 4th..?! 

Surely, in reality, it’s only been the plastics on social media and the press stirring it up, and any real Man Utd fan would have wanted to win tonight, regardless of where it likely sent the premiership crown. 

United are hardly sat in mid table obscurity and the points are vital for them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would a plastic Manc have any particular dislike or rivalry of either Man City or Liverpool...? 

It would be utterly ridiculous for a Man Utd “fan”, who’s never been to Manchester, let alone Old Trafford, to have a dislike of a team because they are local to them..! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why would a plastic Manc have any particular dislike or rivalry of either Man City or Liverpool...? 

It would be utterly ridiculous for a Man Utd “fan”, who’s never been to Manchester, let alone Old Trafford, to have a dislike of a team because they are local to them..! 

Because in years gone by it gives them a greater sense of value when they meet other "fans" of said teams, having beaten them. 

The arguments that go on in Guildford pubs between Liverpool and Man U fans must be deafening. 

Climbing your front door steps and into the living room, the cauldron of surround-sound noise and the 65" plasma screen. It's just the thing that Bobby Robson said gets you for life and forges the eternal love of your club. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Because in years gone by it gives them a greater sense of value when they meet other "fans" of said teams, having beaten them. 

The arguments that go on in Guildford pubs between Liverpool and Man U fans must be deafening. 

Climbing your front door steps and into the living room, the cauldron of surround-sound noise and the 65" plasma screen. It's just the thing that Bobby Robson said gets you for life and forges the eternal love of your club. 

Being a TV fan is a completely different thing from being a real fan,  the only thing they have in common are they are both based around football.

A TV fan being a supporter of Man Utd or Chelsea (or whoever) is more akin to being a fan of Star Wars or Game of Thrones than anything you experience as a City fan.

It has its own narrative and drama, but nothing will ever come close to the feelings we all had when the winner went in against Man Utd last season, or at Coventry in 1977, or Christian Roberts goal v Hartlepool (for just a few examples).

But on the other hand, a TV fan will just go home from the pub for their dinner feeling nothing more than mild disappointment, whereas the depths experienced from following City are much greater too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Being a TV fan is a completely different thing from being a real fan,  the only thing they have in common are they are both based around football.

A TV fan being a supporter of Man Utd or Chelsea (or whoever) is more akin to being a fan of Star Wars or Game of Thrones than anything you experience as a City fan.

It has its own narrative and drama, but nothing will ever come close to the feelings we all had when the winner went in against Man Utd last season, or at Coventry in 1977, or Christian Roberts goal v Hartlepool (for just a few examples).

But on the other hand, a TV fan will just go home from the pub for their dinner feeling nothing more than mild disappointment, whereas the depths experienced from following City are much greater too.

It’s also part of the “easy life” culture of the modern numpty. 

Why bother making the effort to go to a game, when you can just reach for your handset..? It’s part of what makes many in today’s society, socially inept. 

They stretch out their arm to turn the tv over, then pick up their phone to rant or float on social media. Completely missing the social interaction of meeting other fans, discussing the tactical differentials (unless repeating what the pundit says, of course)

When I started watching football, it was a special treat to find a football match on the tv. Not you can’t avoid the bloody stuff..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, there is a lot of Utd jealousy in this thread.

I just wish City was 1/10 of the club Utd is.

They are 1 of the 3 worlds biggest clubs, of course they are going to have fans that are not local.

Edited by jj77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s the disappointment and despair that sets us apart. Everyone can rejoice in victory, that’s easy but losing an important game, maybe to a local rival, losing a final or getting sent down etc. That’s when it hurts deep, deep down. Right down in your boots. No way can a armchair fan feel that pain!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Wow, there is a lot of Utd jealousy in this thread.

I just wish City was 1/10 of the club Utd is.

They are 1 of the 3 worlds biggest clubs, of course they are going to have fans that are not local.

They’re considered big because of their intentional following. Nobody’s talking about Malaysian kids or African men for supporting Man Utd, that’s fair enough it’s not like they have local football they can go to.

Londoners or Bristolians supporting Man Utd due to being glory hunters & incredibly lazy, that’s where the problem is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, richwwtk said:

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way

Agree 100%.  I don't get the hate either.

Just get one along to a city game on mates rates game and they'll soon get the bug.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Wow, there is a lot of Utd jealousy in this thread.

I just wish City was 1/10 of the club Utd is.

They are 1 of the 3 worlds biggest clubs, of course they are going to have fans that are not local.

I think you are completely missing the point..! THAT is the problem..! People “supporting” United etc because they are “big” 

If half of those people got behind their local team, they must just help them to grow as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Unan said:

Nobody’s talking about Malaysian kids or African men for supporting Man Utd, that’s fair enough it’s not like they have local football they can go to

yes they do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

yes they do!

I think they can be forgiven for not solely following their regional team, in my opinion. They can’t afford to live an adequate life let alone travel to follow their football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pub I use is full of 'Premier League' fans (mostly Liverpool), a few of them are regulars at Anfield (and some European games), the vast majority of them have never been to see a game live (any game).

It isn't unusual to get comments like, 'why do you support City? They're rubbish' - 'What Premier League team do you support?' And the personal favourite...

'If City get promoted, I will probably come along to a few games, might even get a season ticket'.

Most of them have no idea how much people invest in watching their team, financially, time wise and indeed that emotional investment.

Maybe I should find a different pub.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think you are completely missing the point..! THAT is the problem..! People “supporting” United etc because they are “big” 

If half of those people got behind their local team, they must just help them to grow as well. 

It's an entertainment industry. Some people just aren't entertained by less able footballers. I think they are missing out personally but that someone would rather watch Liverpool - even on the telebox - than pay £30+ to watch Paterson et al, or whatever it costs to see a tramp masquerading in a Tesco value plastic bag of a shirt, I don't judge. 

I think BS3 some are just much less fanatical about the live experience than you are. I'm a long time season ticket holder and will be continuing my streak and I consider myself a supporter and get affected by results (much less than I used to, definitely falling out of love with the game), but the match day experience is so sanitised now, so much more different than times gone by, so much quieter, so much... worse, I really don't think the armchair fan is missing out on that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The pub I use is full of 'Premier League' fans (mostly Liverpool), a few of them are regulars at Anfield (and some European games), the vast majority of them have never been to see a game live (any game).

It isn't unusual to get comments like, 'why do you support City? They're rubbish' - 'What Premier League team do you support?' And the personal favourite...

'If City get promoted, I will probably come along to a few games, might even get a season ticket'.

Most of them have no idea how much people invest in watching their team, financially, time wise and indeed that emotional investment.

Maybe I should find a different pub.

On the other hand Rob, you only have to go to the Aztec west roundabout early on a Saturday morning to see 100's of Bristolians travelling off to Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford bridge etc etc.

There are ways for Bristolians who follow these massive clubs to actually get to see them in the flesh quite easily TBH. The number of people on the A38 waiting for various SW supporters club coaches really surprised me in all honesty.

Edited by Ska Junkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 29AR said:

It's an entertainment industry. Some people just aren't entertained by less able footballers. I think they are missing out personally but that someone would rather watch Liverpool - even on the telebox - than pay £30+ to watch Paterson et al, or whatever it costs to see a tramp masquerading in a Tesco value plastic bag of a shirt, I don't judge. 

I think BS3 some are just much less fanatical about the live experience than you are. I'm a long time season ticket holder and will be continuing my streak and I consider myself a supporter and get affected by results (much less than I used to, definitely falling out of love with the game), but the match day experience is so sanitised now, so much more different than times gone by, so much quieter, so much... worse, I really don't think the armchair fan is missing out on that much. 

I took a mate along the other week with a spare ticket from @CyderInACan and he loved it and wants to come back again.

This lad is a Liverpool fan (who has never been to a live game), and he was blown away by what you DON'T see on telly. Yes, replay after replay of decisions and fouls,  but you don't get to chose what play you are looking at, you can't spot someone drifting in to space and you just don't get the atmosphere.

Financially, he'd find buying tickets on a regular basis a stretch, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back.

Just a few thousand more to convert now!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The pub I use is full of 'Premier League' fans (mostly Liverpool), a few of them are regulars at Anfield (and some European games), the vast majority of them have never been to see a game live (any game).

It isn't unusual to get comments like, 'why do you support City? They're rubbish' - 'What Premier League team do you support?' And the personal favourite...

'If City get promoted, I will probably come along to a few games, might even get a season ticket'.

Most of them have no idea how much people invest in watching their team, financially, time wise and indeed that emotional investment.

Maybe I should find a different pub.

'Premier League' fans are exactly as you described, they just don't get it. But that is still no reason to denigrate them all, they are just a different type of supporter, that is all.

I have a friend I have known since primary school in Weston. The entire time I have known him he has been a Liverpool fan and is exactly like the people you mention above.

I took him to Ashton Gate once, maybe 20 years ago. We sat in the stand around 30 minutes before kickoff at which point he scoffed loudly "City are so shit they need to practice before the match starts". he genuinely didn't realise players warm up on the pitch before games. their ignorance is such.

All the same, he is very passionate about Liverpool, just in a different way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 29AR said:

It's an entertainment industry. Some people just aren't entertained by less able footballers. I think they are missing out personally but that someone would rather watch Liverpool - even on the telebox - than pay £30+ to watch Paterson et al, or whatever it costs to see a tramp masquerading in a Tesco value plastic bag of a shirt, I don't judge. 

I think BS3 some are just much less fanatical about the live experience than you are. I'm a long time season ticket holder and will be continuing my streak and I consider myself a supporter and get affected by results (much less than I used to, definitely falling out of love with the game), but the match day experience is so sanitised now, so much more different than times gone by, so much quieter, so much... worse, I really don't think the armchair fan is missing out on that much. 

But that’s just it. It’s NOT a TV show..!

I know certain people will always take the easy/glory chasing route, rather than support their local club - that’s why people of that mindset don’t tend to be close friends of mine. 

Whilst it’s certainly different to how it used to be, I don’t think modern day football is that much worse. Just different. So I can see why the comparison appears “worse” to some. 

I still get every bit as tense, excited, emotional (high or low) as I used too, except now I quite like a better view, better food options, less trouble, bigger crowds and being able to have a piss without standing ankle deep in someone else’s..! Maybe I’ve just become sanitised, with age, myself though..! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2019 at 01:02, Bar BS3 said:

Surely that would be if Man City won it..?! Liverpool winning it would be more like Cardiff or Swindon winning it..?!

This is how i see it. Its like Rovers and Cardiff battling for the title and us rolling over and letting Rovers beat us just to stop Cardiff winning the title. No thanks let Cardiff have it winning against the team we share the City with much more important to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Being a TV fan is a completely different thing from being a real fan,  the only thing they have in common are they are both based around football.

A TV fan being a supporter of Man Utd or Chelsea (or whoever) is more akin to being a fan of Star Wars or Game of Thrones than anything you experience as a City fan.

It has its own narrative and drama, but nothing will ever come close to the feelings we all had when the winner went in against Man Utd last season, or at Coventry in 1977, or Christian Roberts goal v Hartlepool (for just a few examples).

But on the other hand, a TV fan will just go home from the pub for their dinner feeling nothing more than mild disappointment, whereas the depths experienced from following City are much greater too.

Yep. Being a TV fan is like watching Masterchef, saying you like the food and never actually eating it. Whereas a proper fan goes to the restaurant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

But that’s just it. It’s NOT a TV show..!

I know certain people will always take the easy/glory chasing route, rather than support their local club - that’s why people of that mindset don’t tend to be close friends of mine. 

Whilst it’s certainly different to how it used to be, I don’t think modern day football is that much worse. Just different. So I can see why the comparison appears “worse” to some. 

I still get every bit as tense, excited, emotional (high or low) as I used too, except now I quite like a better view, better food options, less trouble, bigger crowds and being able to have a piss without standing ankle deep in someone else’s..! Maybe I’ve just become sanitised, with age, myself though..! 

Don't get me wrong, the stadium is superb, I absolutely love it. That doesn't detract from the experience - albeit there is a place for the likes of Fratton Park. 

I know it is oft discussed on here but I remember when I first began to accept football was changing for the worst, Holloway walking along the Atyeo and along the (then Williams) to warm applause. I'm not sure even the armchair Utd fans and 'faux' Liverpool haters would have done that for Gerrard. The thought of it still boils my piss.

The crowd, the atmosphere, the intensity of the live experience is much, much, much worse, in my opinion. 

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2019 at 13:53, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool)

Most people grow out of that.

They are plastics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jj77 said:

Wow, there is a lot of Utd jealousy in this thread.

I just wish City was 1/10 of the club Utd is.

They are 1 of the 3 worlds biggest clubs, of course they are going to have fans that are not local.

Sorry, but this is bollocks. I would be gutted to be anything like that corporation.

That is a business that rips off gullible customers worldwide. Its not a football club, its a money making corporation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Tickets from £32 this Saturday.

£10 easter egg

We are making a loss. We dont have the TV money to compete - totally different to the corporation.

Easter Eggs were £7

Edited by Riaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Tickets from £32 this Saturday.

£10 easter egg

Tickets from £27 actually and I doubt we’ve started selling Easter eggs already..!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Tickets from £32 this Saturday.

£10 easter egg

Tickets from £27 this Saturday. 

£7 Easter egg.

But don't let facts get in the way :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2019 at 17:30, glen humphries said:

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

 

On 24/04/2019 at 13:53, richwwtk said:

I know it's the done thing to slag off everyone who purports to support Manchester united as plastic mancs, but I'm not sure that it's entirely fair.

Most of the non-match attending fans I know are supporters of various Premier League clubs and have been following those teams since they were young children, it's only natural that at that age they would pick one of the more successful clubs (it's a sign of aging that I seem to know a lot of Leeds fan that fit into this category, along with Man Utd and Liverpool).

If you then never took the step of actually going to watch live football you would have no reason but to keep supporting the way you always have, it can still be quite a large part of your life. I don't know anybody that suddenly decided to start supporting a football team at random as an adult.

It's also the case that these people don't just chop and change clubs according to who is successful, right now most adults seem to be Liverpool and Man Utd fans, but the Liverpool fans are no doubt dwindling away and are being replaced by adult Arsenal fans who grew up with them being successful, soon to be overtaken again by Man City fans.

In my opinion, the hatred shown towards this type of fan is very misplaced. They are missing out on the sheer thrill of live football and all that comes with supporting a club that way, but they are still committed to their club, just in a very different way.

I agree with a lot of this. I have mates who support various teams, and do so for various reasons. Some follow their parents club (like myself! see below) some follow the team that was successful in the era, some have a loose family tie it's not always for "glory". I know a lot of Spurs and Liverpool supporters who have never seen much in the way of "glory" yet they still support them, some even less successful teams such as Newcastle / West ham etc. Not one of these people that I know have ever changed their team. They supported those teams as a kid and still do 20 years later regardless of what fortunes have changed in that time.

I do agree it's a completely different level of support to some of us. I support Bristol City, I don't have a ST atm and I don't get to anywhere near as many games as I'd like (mainly because I still play), it might make me "less of a fan" but does it make me care any less than the guy who goes week in week out? Absolutely not. A defeat still hurts me just as bad. 

On 24/04/2019 at 17:30, glen humphries said:

To me it’s simple , support you local team , I started supporting city in the early eighties, we were shit and have been pretty much shit all my life but it’s my team, how anyone can have the same connection with a side hundreds of miles away is beyond me .

Don't agree. I used to, until I really thought about why I support City. You support the team you have a bond to, and that could well be location because it's your home town. I've never lived in Bristol, was born in Bath and lived in Wiltshire. My "local" team would have been Swindon (or to a lesser level maybe Chippenham?) should I have supported them? They were in the Prem when I was a kid too, all my mates went to watch them, would have been easy to do.

No, I chose City. My dad took me to a game and I was hooked, but that first game could have been anyone and I'd have probably got hooked to that. My dad supported City because my granddad took him to games, and lo and behold that started in the 70s when Bristol City was doing well and got to the top division - so maybe my granddad / dad was just a "glory" fan?

On 24/04/2019 at 19:50, CotswoldRed said:

Good effort. 

Utterly disagree. They are the very people that devalue what it really means to be a fan. Read what Bobby Robson said about the lure of St James Park. 

TV fans who never go to watch games in person have just about nothing in common with fans who live and breathe the experience of being taken to games by their parents, meeting fellow fans at the game, sharing the highs and the lows, hugging complete strangers. 

They're an embarrassment to themselves imo. 

Embarrassment to themselves? 🤦‍♂️ I agree they don't have the same experience and may be doing themselves a disservice but people don't/can't go to games for various reasons - money being the main one! I spent close to £100 going to Wednesday on Monday by the time you factor in ticket, travel and food. Going to Derby is another £60-70 then Millwall and Hull away will probably be another £120+. That's a lot of money. I bet if you asked any non-attending fan if money wasn't an object would they get a season ticket the vast majority would say yes. As I've said above, I love going to watch City and I will go to any game I can regardless of whether I think we will win or what's riding on it (I was one of 97 that went to Hull away on a Friday night just after being relegated because it was one of the few games I could get to that year) but when I'm not there I don't care any less than the fans that are.

 

Going to games does give you a difference sense of involvement and emotion but I don't think it automatically means you care more or less about your club than someone who goes once in a blue moon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...