IGNORED

7.69 Seconds

Super

• Admin
1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Is Shane Long’s goal the fastest in English top flight? 

Yes, it now is @RedDave

It used to be Ledley King who scored after 9.9 seconds for spurs against Bradford in 2000

Close behind is Christian Eriksen who scored after 11 seconds for Spurs Vs Man Utd in 2017

Who could forget the fastest international goal involving England, sadly not Robson's 27 second goal against Spain, but the now infamous goal conceded in San Marino, which was scored by Davide Gualtieri after 8.3 seconds

I thought at the time that Tony Thorpe's opening day 27 minute hattrick in 2001 must have been some sort of record but it doesn't seem to be one upon which statistics are kept.

Saturday, 11 August, 2001, 14:33 GMT 15:33 UK

Northampton 0-3 Bristol City
Tony Thorpe grabbed a first-half hat-trick as Bristol City strolled to an opening-day victory at Sixfields Stadium.

City's top scorer last season took just 27 minutes to grab a fantastic hat-trick that left the home side shell-shocked.

And the Cobblers' misery was compounded when they were reduced to 10 men in the 34th minute when midfielder James Hunt was dismissed for a reckless late challenge on City skipper Louis Carey.

Thorpe opened the scoring with a diving header in the sixth minute but it took a goal-line clearance from Carey to deny Marco Gabbiadini an equaliser five minutes later.

Thorpe increased City's lead with a 20th-minute penalty and grabbed his third seven minutes later with a close-range header.

Northampton: Welch, Burgess, Hope, Frain, Lavin, Hunt, Hargreaves, Spedding, Gabbiadini, Parkin, Forrester. Subs: Evatt, McGregor, Wolleaston, Sollitt, Asamoah.

Bristol City: Stowell, Amankwaah, Lever, Carey, Hill, Bell, Doherty, Tinnion, Brown, Jones, Thorpe. Subs: Murray, Clist, Phillips, Matthews, Burnell.

Referee: P Alcock (Halstead)

Can anyone remind me who "Lever" is?  All the other names are very familiar but that's not ringing a (Mickey) bell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1482537.stm

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yes, it now is @RedDave

It used to be Ledley King who scored after 9.9 seconds for spurs against Bradford in 2000

Close behind is Christian Eriksen who scored after 11 seconds for Spurs Vs Man Utd in 2017

Who could forget the fastest international goal involving England, sadly not Robson's 27 second goal against Spain, but the now infamous goal conceded in San Marino, which was scored by Davide Gualtieri after 8.3 seconds

Weird that they are all quite recent and not from the 100 years of pre Premier League

9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Cheers

Really only one season and not spectacular then as released at the end of it.  I will give my memory a free pass on that one.

Bristol City

After 12 years at Grimsby, Lever dropped down a division and signed for Bristol City in July 2000 on a free transfer,[2] and naturally became the main candidate to be the club captain. However his first season, was ruined by injury, after making his debut on the opening day of the season in a 2–0 defeat against Wrexham, Lever went on to feature in two more games, before injury ruled him out for the rest of the 2000–2001 campaign. The following season was more successful for Lever, as he completed 34 games in all competitions, coupled with a single goal in a 3–0 victory over Oldham Athletic on 2 February 2002. At the end of the 2001–2002 campaign, City decided not to renew Lever's two-year contract and he was released.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Not going to lie this really annoys me. There was a top league before Premier League so I wish they would stop making stats about it.

Strange thing to get really annoyed about. Records are generally interesting to people if they can be either broken or held by someone recognisable.

People recognise the name Lesley King so it’s put into better context than say Bobby McSargeant who scored after 6 seconds in 1912 because the goalie was twirling his moustache.

Do you get annoyed at say our largest attendance for the season because there were seasons before you know?

42 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I thought at the time that Tony Thorpe's opening day 27 minute hattrick in 2001 must have been some sort of record but it doesn't seem to be one upon which statistics are kept.

Can anyone remind me who "Lever" is?  All the other names are very familiar but that's not ringing a (Mickey) bell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1482537.stm

Remember the game well, first time I’d been to their new ground, with Scott Davidson sat with the City fans in the away end, instead of in the Directors box! Also, as with you, don’t have any recollection of Lever! ?

42 minutes ago, grifty said:

Do you get annoyed at say our largest attendance for the season because there were seasons before you know?

Of the season no. 

But what makes results from 1992 mean we can forget 1991 for example?

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:
Northampton 0-3 Bristol City
Tony Thorpe grabbed a first-half hat-trick

Remember going to that one. The good old days when 3-0 up at HT I would be confident of a win?? COYR!!!!

On 24/04/2019 at 11:21, grifty said:

Strange thing to get really annoyed about. Records are generally interesting to people if they can be either broken or held by someone recognisable.

People recognise the name Lesley King so it’s put into better context than say Bobby McSargeant who scored after 6 seconds in 1912 because the goalie was twirling his moustache.

I don’t recognise the name Lesley King.

I’ve seen some quick ones over the years. Usually against us. 

I remember Luton had a bloke called Tom Finey who scored twice in the first few minutes on the first match of the season years ago along with various other catastrophes. 

Archived