IGNORED

Let's show these 'big' clubs

ashton_fan

I'm getting fed up of fans of the s-called 'big' clubs in our league dismissing us as irrelevant and always a team "they should be beating", as well as the media largely ignoring us in the promotion race.

What a chance we have to put things right now. Firstly we must dispose of Derby and pick up a few more points to secure our play-off spot. Next up would almost certainly be Leeds, we can destroy their season by knocking them out and then face Villa or WBA in the final. If we win all those then we'll have to be taken seriously in the future. Also, what a chance for our players to enhance their reputations, COYR!

If our home form was half decent they would all be talking about us because we would already have clinched a play off spot or looking at autos. Great that it's still in our own hands but it has been for the last few anyway,just beat Derby and get the confidence back up for the two remaining games...COYR.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I'm getting fed up of fans of the s-called 'big' clubs in our league dismissing us as irrelevant and always a team "they should be beating", as well as the media largely ignoring us in the promotion race.

What a chance we have to put things right now. Firstly we must dispose of Derby and pick up a few more points to secure our play-off spot. Next up would almost certainly be Leeds, we can destroy their season by knocking them out and then face Villa or WBA in the final. If we win all those then we'll have to be taken seriously in the future. Also, what a chance for our players to enhance their reputations, COYR!

IF we get there and IF Leeds finish third I actually fancy us to go through.

It does appear that they are running out of steam and is the case with most Bielsa teams.

Add to that the disappointment of not getting automatic promotion and we have more than a chance. 

I was listening to TalkSport yesterday, they were chatting about the playoffs. Raving about Leeds, Villa, Boro ( of course) Derby seemed to get slightly less enthusiasm, surprisingly, but they did finally mention us. ‘EVEN Bristol City might be in with a chance still’ 

Yes, unloved and unfancied, lets fly under the radar and bomb the **** out of everyone :clapping:

25 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

IF we get there and IF Leeds finish third I actually fancy us to go through.

It does appear that they are running out of steam and is the case with most Bielsa teams.

Add to that the disappointment of not getting automatic promotion and we have more than a chance. 

Based on the tears at full time at Brentford from some of the Leeds players, I'd be inclined to agree with you. They looked devastated. Even if their final 2 results count for nothing in terms of auto, they need two big performances to get some confidence back. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I was listening to TalkSport yesterday, they were chatting about the playoffs. Raving about Leeds, Villa, Boro ( of course) Derby seemed to get slightly less enthusiasm, surprisingly, but they did finally mention us. ‘EVEN Bristol City might be in with a chance still’ 

Yes, unloved and unfancied, lets fly under the radar and bomb the **** out of everyone :clapping:

5Live (I think) were on about the championship at the weekend and went through all the top sides. They finished with `And Bristol City are just happy to be there`

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Tbh, that’s exactly the feeling I get from reading this forum. 

I think there is an element of that on here but there is more of a feeling of surprise that we are where we are as pretty much no-one expected us to be in the mix with three games left back in August. I suspect most of us would have been happy with safety with about five games left if truth be told and expected to finish pretty much where we did last season.

We`re also of course dreading it all going pear shaped as most of us have seen happen far too many times before!

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Tbh, that’s exactly the feeling I get from reading this forum. 

This.

We can't keep harping on about how we are overachieving, 7th would be a great season etc. and then get annoyed when the media say we are overachieving and that 7th is great for us...

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We are overachieving but if we miss out on the play offs it will seem like a failure as we have been there or thereabouts for most of the season.

If we had surged up the table out of nowhere we would be looking more favourably on the huge achievement .

100% agree.

We are not over achieving based on where we were 6 weeks ago after the best part of 35 games.

All this well "we didn't expect to be here in August" is pointless if we look back and see that failing to beat most of the bottom 4 sides at home (some from decent positions) cost us the play offs.

That said, I watched the Brighton game last night and wondered why we want promotion - can you imagine going into most games hoping to draw 0-0 or get a lucky break away goal. The season would be fun to visit the new grounds, but do we believe we would be any better than Brighton, Burnley, Southampton who have all struggled and set up to mostly avoid getting stuffed against the top half.

We've struggled to "show" Derby much over the years, other than that they "should" be beating us. Or at least not losing to us. I believe it is one win for us in eleven v Derby. Mind, that was a fine bloody win, that one. How we could do with Bobby, Bobby Reid this Saturday. 

Glass half full way of looking at it is, unbeaten in five v Derby.

31 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We've struggled to "show" Derby much over the years, other than that they "should" be beating us. Or at least not losing to us. I believe it is one win for us in eleven v Derby. Mind, that was a fine bloody win, that one. How we could do with Bobby, Bobby Reid this Saturday. 

Glass half full way of looking at it is, unbeaten in five v Derby.

Derby are perennial play off bottlers so they should just relax now and let us show them how it’s done.

?

44 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

100% agree.

We are not over achieving based on where we were 6 weeks ago after the best part of 35 games.

All this well "we didn't expect to be here in August" is pointless if we look back and see that failing to beat most of the bottom 4 sides at home (some from decent positions) cost us the play offs.

That said, I watched the Brighton game last night and wondered why we want promotion - can you imagine going into most games hoping to draw 0-0 or get a lucky break away goal. The season would be fun to visit the new grounds, but do we believe we would be any better than Brighton, Burnley, Southampton who have all struggled and set up to mostly avoid getting stuffed against the top half.

It wouldn’t matter if we were progressing.

I wouldn’t really mind if we went up and came straight back down again because it would change our mindset and make us realise that we are allowed to play with the big boys and that the Prem is reachable. 

Plus we’d have parachute payments, more chance to attract better players, existing players with Prem experience to help us back up or sell for big money and the monkey off our backs. 

17 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

We’ve failed to beat Ipswich, Birmingham, Wigan and Reading at home what on earth makes you think we’ll beat Derby???

We've beaten both Sheffield United and West Brom at home, and they're clearly better teams than Derby. What on earth makes you think we won't beat Derby???

18 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

We’ve failed to beat Ipswich, Birmingham, Wigan and Reading at home what on earth makes you think we’ll beat Derby???

80ll0x - I bought my tickets today an all. Wonder if I can get a refund? - there's clearly no point in going seeing as we don't stand a chance......................

Everyone's getting their Calvins in a twist about scraping into the wretched play offs while simultaneously insisting Marlon Pack is knackered, and so our midfield is knackered, and consequently, our attack and defence is knackered. And therefore our hopes are knackered.

So, let's work ourselves into a frenzy about having three more bloody games to play, on top of the mandatory 46, when we are already knackered as it is. And Marlon's newbie ain't going anywhere, nor sleeping anymore, nor fetching his/her own breakfast/Farley's rusks, nor wiping his/her own fundamentals, this side of the play-off final, need I remind you. The tiredness is not done, yet.

8 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Be fair though; there's many people who've posted on here how City should be beating the likes of Ipswich and Wigan.

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

Be fair though; there's many people who've posted on here how City should be beating the likes of Ipswich and Wigan.

The difference though is people on here say that based on results rather than the 'status' of the club, which is fair enough.

At what point do City become a big club in this league? Improving crowds, fantastic infrastructure, a nice stadium (though I preferred the old East End) you're not the underdogs, think big.... 

Realistically there's probably half a dozen or so clubs naturally bigger, then some who think they are or who have done what you are doing now but all things being absolutely equal are Swansea or Stoke bigger or is it their last decade? Reading? Wigan? Or are they rich mens success? 

7 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

At what point do City become a big club in this league? Improving crowds, fantastic infrastructure, a nice stadium (though I preferred the old East End) you're not the underdogs, think big.... 

Realistically there's probably half a dozen or so clubs naturally bigger, then some who think they are or who have done what you are doing now but all things being absolutely equal are Swansea or Stoke bigger or is it their last decade? Reading? Wigan? Or are they rich mens success? 

Agreed we're on the up but we've never won a major trophy, we're in a league where other teams have won European trophies, League Championships, FA Cups (even if not recently), and we've never been in the Prem so fans of those clubs think they're better than us. We've come close in the League Cup a few times and were in an FA Cup final about 100 years ago but that's about it. At this point in time though we've got better prospects than many of those clubs.

On 24/04/2019 at 12:22, Red Right Hand said:

5Live (I think) were on about the championship at the weekend and went through all the top sides. They finished with `And Bristol City are just happy to be there`

Patronising motherpheckers.  Well today  2 of the richest individual owners in the championship meet up.......so we cannot be regarded as a 'small club' on the basis of our financial clout.   PS. Looking through the owners of championship/league one clubs, I had no idea just how wealthy little old Barnsley are? Could be surprise package next season, if they come up?

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Patronising motherpheckers.  Well today  2 of the richest individual owners in the championship meet up.......so we cannot be regarded as a 'small club' on the basis of our financial clout.   PS. Looking through the owners of championship/league one clubs, I had no idea just how wealthy little old Barnsley are? Could be surprise package next season, if they come up?

You heard of FFP?

It actually stops rich owners throwing money at their club...........at least it is meant to.

On 24/04/2019 at 13:51, Major Isewater said:

We are overachieving but if we miss out on the play offs it will seem like a failure as we have been there or thereabouts for most of the season.

If we had surged up the table out of nowhere we would be looking more favourably on the huge achievement .

Totally agree with that viewpoint.

It's a bit like this if you applied the same principles in business:

Sales guy 40% ahead of budget 2/3rds way through the year. At end of year he has made his budget. Says "I've had a reasonable year boss" who replies "actually you haven't when you look where you were with 4 months to go" - that's us to a t and you could say this applies to the past three seasons.

Archived