IGNORED

Are Boro favourites for sixth?

Kid in the Riot

Just having a little look at the remaining fixtures and despite us and Derby having a game in hand, I can't help but think they're the elephant in the room in terms of the play-off race.

Reason being, their two remaining games are against Reading, who are safe, and then at Rotherham who will very likely have been relegated by the last game either by losing at West Brom or Millwall picking something up against us. 

That would mean they finish on 73 points, meaning we'd need to pick up at least seven points - if not nine - from our last three games to finish above them. 

I should probably know better by now than to make predictions in this division and realise Boro's form is patchy, but looking at things in the round I think they have the best chance of finishing sixth as of now.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just having a little look at the remaining fixtures and despite us and Derby having a game in hand, I can't help but think they're the elephant in the room in terms of the play-off race.

Reason being, their two remaining games are against Reading, who are safe, and then at Rotherham who will very likely have been relegated by the last game either by losing at West Brom or Millwall picking something up against us. 

That would mean they finish on 73 points, meaning we'd need to pick up at least seven points - if not nine - from our last three games to finish above them. 

I should probably know better by now than to make predictions in this division and realise Boro's form is patchy, but looking at things in the round I think they have the best chance of finishing sixth as of now.

Boro are third favourites with the bookies

Derby Evens

Bristol City 2/1

Middlesborough 11/4

Just now, ashton_fan said:

Boro haven't been playing well, they could easily slip up against Reading or Rotherham and they need ti win both

Agree. Rotherham have a decent home record and Reading will only need 1 point for survival if West Brom beat Rotherham (which will more than likely happen)

• Admin

'Boro are bang out of form and have been struggling for weeks.

Their defence is a real mess, players injured and a certain Aden Flint having a shocker every week.

Reading are bang in form at present, I fancy them to take points off of 'boro this weekend

Just have a horrible feeling a result in BS3 will mean it won't matter

36 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Boro definitely going to get six points and finish on 73

I think that whoever wins on Saturday out of us and Derby, will get sixth.  If it’s a draw I think Boro will do it

“Definitely”? No, it’s never definite, especially in this division.

Boro are no more consistent than ourselves and got thumped 3-0 last time out. Would you be predicting us to “definitely” win our last two games?

In a month where we’ve beaten Sheff Utd, Boro and WBA but failed to beat Reading, Wigan or Wednesday, I think it’s almost impossible to predict. Any combination of results in the remaining games is plausible.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I better get down the bookies then.

You can do it all online now mate - it's very hard to find as they mention it almost never, but I can send you some URLs.

44 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bookies don’t normally get it wrong

I never understand this saying.  Bookies get it wrong all the time, they just stack the odds in their favour so that they're likely to make a profit regardless of outcome.  A week or two ago Leeds were big favourites to get automatic..

An interesting thing is that even if we lose on Saturday, we're still in with a chance.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Definitely”? No, it’s never definite, especially in this division.

Boro are no more consistent than ourselves and got thumped 3-0 last time out. Would you be predicting us to “definitely” win our last two games?

In a month where we’ve beaten Sheff Utd, Boro and WBA but failed to beat Reading, Wigan or Wednesday, I think it’s almost impossible to predict. Any combination of results in the remaining games is plausible.

Should be easier to predict results against teams with nothing to play for 

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

'Boro are bang out of form and have been struggling for weeks.

Their defence is a real mess, players injured and a certain Aden Flint having a shocker every week.

Reading are bang in form at present, I fancy them to take points off of 'boro this weekend

Just have a horrible feeling a result in BS3 will mean it won't matter

I think Reading will get something against Boro.

But that isn't the point we simply have to win on Saturday - anything else, and it is over, in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Surely Derby are obvious favourites simple because they have the points plus a game in hand plus the best goal difference 

If they get something at AG on Saturday then it is their's to screw up where we have to win. If we do I see us a favourites then, albeit with two tough away games to go.

Actually, I've had a change of heart. 

• Boro to draw at home to Reading (as we know, they are no pushovers)
  • City to narrowly beat Derby and Millwall 
  • Derby to lose to Swansea

All of the above are very possible. 

This would then be the table heading in to the final (meaningless) games:

runin.png

Easy :smartass:

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Should be easier to predict results against teams with nothing to play for 

Not necessarily. Having nothing to play for can be a double edged sword; it can also mean a team plays with greater freedom and adventure, without the pressure of needing a result. Look at Fulham’s results since they were relegated.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Reading are safe there 6 clear of Rotherham with a far better goal difference.

Rotherham could also very likely be already down by the time they play Boro. 

Think as poor as Boro have been at times they'll win those two games when it matters most. 

Think it's Boro's with the run in City and Derby have plus we play each other. We could both drop 2 points Saturday. 

Archived