IGNORED

Are Boro favourites for sixth?

Kid in the Riot

4 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Reading are safe there 6 clear of Rotherham with a far better goal difference.

Rotherham could also very likely be already down by the time they play Boro. 

Think as poor as Boro have been at times they'll win those two games when it matters most. 

Think it's Boro's with the run in City and Derby have plus we play each other. We could both drop 2 points Saturday. 

Agree.

The point I'm making is that Boro are going to be playing two teams that have been poor over the course of the season and will almost certainly have nothing to play for...that makes them very winnable games, whereas us and Derby, despite the game in hand, have much tougher games and will be taking points off each other.

Middlesbrough just lost  to a poor Nottingham forest team 3-0 they will probs get 4 points in there next 2 games be my best guess.

Derby haven’t won an away game in 2019 doubt they will go and win 2 on the bounce against us and Swansea. I can’t wait till Saturday and feel has weimann winner written all over it!!

5 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

How annoying would it be, if we beat Derby,( who also lost their other two games) picked up draws at Millwall and Hull and finished above Boro, only for Swansea to win all 3 of their games and pip us on goal difference.

No matter what the result is in our game, Derby fans will be praying Swansea don't beat Hull, otherwise it's another six-pointer for them next Wednesday.

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

How annoying would it be, if we beat Derby,( who also lost their other two games) picked up draws at Millwall and Hull and finished above Boro, only for Swansea to win all 3 of their games and pip us on goal difference.

Bookies offering 22/1 for Swans to make playoffs.

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No matter what the result is in our game, Derby fans will be praying Swansea don't beat Hull, otherwise it's another six-pointer for them next Wednesday.

If Swansea do indeed beat Hull, we may even want that one to be a draw (depending on our own result)

Rotherham can be tricky at home...though not so much of late.

Of more promise might be Reading. We saw how hard they can be to break down first hand, Norwich found similar a couple of weeks back! Factor in Middlesbrough's patchiness at home and who could rule out a draw there for example?

If they truly need a point, a point to nail survival and that is exactly what they need. If they play accordingly, do Middlesbrough under Pulis have the creativity, the spark to overcome this- at home especially.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just having a little look at the remaining fixtures and despite us and Derby having a game in hand, I can't help but think they're the elephant in the room in terms of the play-off race.

Reason being, their two remaining games are against Reading, who are safe, and then at Rotherham who will very likely have been relegated by the last game either by losing at West Brom or Millwall picking something up against us. 

That would mean they finish on 73 points, meaning we'd need to pick up at least seven points - if not nine - from our last three games to finish above them. 

I should probably know better by now than to make predictions in this division and realise Boro's form is patchy, but looking at things in the round I think they have the best chance of finishing sixth as of now.

Check our WhatsApp group from before the Easter weekend mate. I said even before then that Boro were the ones to look out for. I said that with their 4 games left (at that stage) they’d be favourites to win 3 of them. Meaning we’d need 10 points (at that time). 

If Boro get the two wins from (on paper) relatively easy games, then neither us or Derby will catch them. 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Unless of course either us or Derby win their remaining games....

Exactly.

Boro are not in the greatest of form - same as Derby or us.

Derby must be favourites followed by us due to the extra game, then Boro, then Swansea with their game in hand.

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Boro haven't been playing well, they could easily slip up against Reading or Rotherham and they need ti win both

reading are a fast improving side as we found out, it's no forgone conclusion that boro will get anything against them. 

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

reading are a fast improving side as we found out, it's no forgone conclusion that boro will get anything against them. 

Last four - Drew with Norwich, Beat Brentford, Drew with us, and Drew with WBA.

They aren't easy to beat lately.

Rotherham however....

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Last four - Drew with Norwich, Beat Brentford, Drew with us, and Drew with WBA.

They aren't easy to beat lately.

Rotherham however....

Beat Preston too- Preston were 12 without defeat but more importantly for a game like Middlesbrough away they (Reading) seem not only dogged but counterattacking too and happy to let the other side have the ball. Teams going to Pulis's Middlesbrough and doing that...are in a decent position quite often!

@Major Isewater While I don't agree they would wish to miss the playoffs, couldn't agree more about Pulis. Did a bit of reading on them- seems Bamford didn't like his tactics, Braithwaite (now on loan and doing alright at Leganes), described them as 'strange'. That's only 2 of his current better, more attack-minded players that we know of who went public too. 'Kick and rush' Braithwaite also added.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, pillred said:

Exactly - we thought we had a poor result at home to Wigan a few weeks back and look what they have done since

Reading are going in the same direction

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Very..!

I have no worry about Boro, none whatsoever.

The MA/LJ master plan of selling Flint to them in the summer was to get to these last couple of games, and then activate the City sleeper agent.

Flint to score an own goal in each of the last two games, and also give away a penalty or two.

You think that's something, just wait until we activate the sleeper agent who is deep undercover... step forward Richard Keogh to do the same.

Come on City old boys, you know it makes sense.

Well, walking over to the Reading game, I said to my mates - at least we are not in mid table with nothing to play for.

We still have a good chance of making the play-offs, but to do that we simply have to beat Derby on Saturday.

I know there are loads of possibilities (depending on other results) on Saturday (and next week) but really it is as simple as that.

It is time for us fans to do our bit - right from the start on Saturday.

May I appeal to the Dolman (where we sit) - pick up on the songs from the singing section and AMPLIFY them. 

You never know, we might even get the Lansdown to join in ! 

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just having a little look at the remaining fixtures and despite us and Derby having a game in hand, I can't help but think they're the elephant in the room in terms of the play-off race.

Reason being, their two remaining games are against Reading, who are safe, and then at Rotherham who will very likely have been relegated by the last game either by losing at West Brom or Millwall picking something up against us. 

That would mean they finish on 73 points, meaning we'd need to pick up at least seven points - if not nine - from our last three games to finish above them. 

I should probably know better by now than to make predictions in this division and realise Boro's form is patchy, but looking at things in the round I think they have the best chance of finishing sixth as of now.

I think Boro are favourites for that last play off spot - and hate to say it, but that will mean Pulis’ record at Boro will be a 5th placed championship finish followed by finishing 6th - and that was after he took over as manager of a club freshly relegated from the premier league.

You can’t knock that, forget the style of football, if Boro fans were told they’d finish in the play offs for two consecutive seasons following their relegation from the top tier, they’d have grabbed that with both hands.

Ipswich fans wanted Mick McCarthy out after he worked miracles there - they got their wish and were immediately relegated to div 3 - Boro fans who moan need to take a long hard look. To remain very competitive in div 2 for two years after relegation from the top flight is a fine achievement ....

7 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Very much doubt Boro will make it now. Odds on that Saturdays game will result in win for Derby or City which will leave Boro in difficult position especially as they are a shit team as well ! Two horse race in my book.

I reckon we will draw with Derby, which will suit M'Boro just fine.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think Boro are favourites for that last play off spot - and hate to say it, but that will mean Pulis’ record at Boro will be a 5th placed championship finish followed by finishing 6th - and that was after he took over as manager of a club freshly relegated from the premier league.

You can’t knock that, forget the style of football, if Boro fans were told they’d finish in the play offs for two consecutive seasons following their relegation from the top tier, they’d have grabbed that with both hands.

Ipswich fans wanted Mick McCarthy out after he worked miracles there - they got their wish and were immediately relegated to div 3 - Boro fans who moan need to take a long hard look. To remain very competitive in div 2 for two years after relegation from the top flight is a fine achievement ....

Not true at all re Boro and fan expectation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39922674

There is that for a start from Steve 'we'll smash the league' Gibson, 2 years ago. The Boro fans latched onto that, were unhappy with Monk having them in and around the play offs who was promptly sacked and are now unhappy with Pulis for the same.

16 hours ago, pillred said:

I think I’m right in saying that since their new manager took over they’re sitting relatively comfortably in mid table if you look at the season from that point onwards. Bearing in mind they were a few points adrift when they sacked Clement they certainly are improving. Here’s hoping they do us a favour!

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I reckon we will draw with Derby, which will suit M'Boro just fine.

Only if Boro beat Reading.  

Because of the game in hand, Boro will feel they must beat Reading.

If City and Derby draw, and Boro draw, it is advantage Derby with 2 games to play. We would then need to betger Derby's game in hand to make it advantage us.

If City or Derby win and Boro draw, Boro will need a lot of good fortune to make the play-off place.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Only if Boro beat Reading.  

Because of the game in hand, Boro will feel they must beat Reading. 

If City and Derby draw, and Boro draw, it is advantage Derby with 2 games to play. We would then need to betger Derby's game in hand to make it advantage us.

If City or Derby win and Boro draw, Boro will need a lot of good fortune to make the play-off place.

I can see a four tie on 71 points after a draw with Derby on the weekend.

City 5 more points being a draw with Derby and 4 points from Millwall/Hull

Derby 4 more points being a draw with us, defeat to Swansea and win v a WBA with nothing to play for

Boro 4 more points, a win and a draw probably the latter against an improving Reading

Swansea 9 more points with 3 winnable games to close.

A draw on the weekend certainly isn't the end of the world, especially if Boro don't win.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I can see a four tie on 71 points after a draw with Derby on the weekend.

City 5 more points being a draw with Derby and 4 points from Millwall/Hull

Derby 4 more points being a draw with us, defeat to Swansea and win v a WBA with nothing to play for

Boro 4 more points, a win and a draw probably the latter against an improving Reading

Swansea 9 more points with 3 winnable games to close.

A draw on the weekend certainly isn't the end of the world, especially if Boro don't win.

So that would mean Derby have the goal difference edge at the moment but all out attack from all teams on the last day!

Archived