3 Leeds United Leeds United 46 26 8 12 75:49 26 86
4 West Bromwich Albion West Bromwich Albion 46 23 11 12 87:60 27 80
5 Aston Villa Aston Villa 46 20 17 9 84:62 22 77
6 Bristol City Bristol City 46 19 14 13 60:52 8 71
7 Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough FC 46 19 14 13 48:41 7 71
8 Derby County Derby County 46 19 13 14 67:57 10 70
9 Swansea City Swansea City 46 20 8 18 65:60 5 68

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-championship/

Christ, not sure my heart could cope with making the playoffs by a single goal on GD... :crying:

On 24/04/2019 at 21:20, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think Boro are favourites for that last play off spot - and hate to say it, but that will mean Pulis’ record at Boro will be a 5th placed championship finish followed by finishing 6th - and that was after he took over as manager of a club freshly relegated from the premier league.

You can’t knock that, forget the style of football, if Boro fans were told they’d finish in the play offs for two consecutive seasons following their relegation from the top tier, they’d have grabbed that with both hands.

Ipswich fans wanted Mick McCarthy out after he worked miracles there - they got their wish and were immediately relegated to div 3 - Boro fans who moan need to take a long hard look. To remain very competitive in div 2 for two years after relegation from the top flight is a fine achievement ....

I still maintain even McCarthy would have struggled if Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick out in one summer at one end of the pitch- and Webster at the other. Think they lost Celina too.

Easy to draw a direct correlation between his departure and their collapse- and it undoubtedly played a part- but not so simple as that IMO.

Middlesbrough- they should be playing better football than they are, albeit they have lost a number of more attacking or technically sound players. Partially through Pulis's choice and partially through necessity.

Boro have on paper the most likely chance of getting all 3 points from their game Sunday.

Derby simply have to win their last home game to finish in 6th but its a tough one against WBA. 

We have a winnable but not easy game against Hull on Sunday. 

It's Derby's to lose, think they might rise to the occasion and win but pressure is on them big time going into Sunday lunchtime. 

Derby beat WBA 4-1 away earlier in the season but given the magnitude of the game Sunday I wouldn't think that'll be a consideration. Tough game for them and I really think they needed to beat Swansea. The pendulum has now swung slightly to Boro who now have the best chance imo as they should win at Rotherham. If Derby had lost to Swansea I would have said its definitely Boro's to lose. 

Outside chance for us, we needed the Swansea game to go our way and it did, now we need two other games going our way which is asking a lot. We could beat Hull and still finish 8th so whatever happens I think we've had a decent season. 

My prediction is that WBA will beat Derby, we will beat Hull, and Boro will beat Rotherham giving us a 7th place finish.

1 hour ago, Super said:

It depends on whether WBA feel that they still have a chance of 3rd place. If not they will surely rest players.

New regs dictate that teams involved in playoffs have to play at least 10 of the match day 18 that played in the previous game according to this;

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/recent-efl-rule-change-could-2822191

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Could still put them on the bench.

Maybe, but given the patchy form that Leeds are in I would have thought that WBA might put out as strong a squad as possible and go for third place rather than face Villa in the semi-final.

2 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Derby are the only team with their fate in their own hands which means they must be favourites. 

Not sure that logic holds up.  What if they were playing Barcelona?

1 minute ago, Lucan said:

It goes back further, Karanka was a very defensive manager as well

Yeah, but don't think the football was quite as unpleasant to watch as under Pulis- not great granted but a different manager would have them playing better football IMO. Especially with the players listed.

7 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Particularly if there is a loan player there.?

Purely a dream here but...

We win 2-1 at Hull with an 89th minute winner but...

...Middlesbrough 2-0 up at Rotherham but with 5 mins of stoppage time more than us- Vyner header and Flint gives away pen 2-2...7th and 72 points- close but no cigar...or is there one last twist...

...Over to Pride Park. Derby 0-0 with WBA- sneaking in on GD- and then...2 mins after the rest finish ball bounces off Keogh from a corner...1-0 Derby- But wait! Everyone assumed it was the winner, but in fact- turns out it was an OG- 2-1 WBA!

Playoffs! Can we dream? :pray::pray:

Archived