IGNORED

Yeovil

Alan Dicks

I like Yeovil.

Unfortunately, they suffered from two things - nobody enacting a takeover which was long mooted and sticking with Darren Way as a club legend for about two seasons too long. They’ll go, and I don’t think they’ll be back soon.

The real stories in L2 are Notts County losing their status after so many years (IIRC Warnock had them in the top flight last season before the prem), and, as much as he’s a prize ****, Sol Campbell somehow turning Macc around

When it boils down to it I'd much rather see teams from geographical outposts do well, rather than more bloody Narthern teams, , but especially from the South West.  That said;

- Not too sure about Plymouth as they're the only team with anyway near the same 'potential' as us, plus I' m a long term Exeter res.

- not fond of Cheltenham as I'm from Glos ( btw brilliant they stayed up!)

I'd even say that I felt more bemused than delighted when you know who fell to their lowest point, poss because of family connections...... ...

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Back where they belong in non league football. They've been punching above their weight for years. 

Remember the days when them are bath were the big noises in local non league football, never did like the slope 

Now, Now!

Jeremy Clarkson got told off for saying such things....

Just now, Offside said:

I feel indifferent about Yeovil and wouldn’t be bothered if they get relegated. I’d rather Notts County stay up (unlikely I know) - I’ve been there to watch City on numerous occasions and always thought it was a decent away trip. 

Meadow Lane, being a non league ground seems mad..! 

Ever since their disastrous single season in the Championship I've had the strong impression that the owners don't want the financial commitment of being a league club and would much rather revert to being a strong non-league club that wins most games and has regular cup runs and without a massive wage bill.

Keeping Darren Way in charge was a good way of achieving that.

7 hours ago, Offside said:

I feel indifferent about Yeovil and wouldn’t be bothered if they get relegated. I’d rather Notts County stay up (unlikely I know) - I’ve been there to watch City on numerous occasions and always thought it was a decent away trip. 

Remember going there in the 90's that away end was superb especially in a hailstorm! NOT! awful 0-0 with barely a shot on goal!

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn’t GJ get rid of their academy years ago? 

He did, it was the first thing he did when he became their manager for the second time. It had been opened after he left to come to us!.

But, straight after he was sacked in 2015 they opened it again!.. it’s a bit of a dodgy one as Southampton FC  are the driving ( and financial) force behind it....allegedly! 

21 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

He did, it was the first thing he did when he became their manager for the second time. It had been opened after he left to come to us!.

But, straight after he was sacked in 2015 they opened it again!.. it’s a bit of a dodgy one as Southampton FC  are the driving ( and financial) force behind it....allegedly! 

This is true I believe. They get the first option of any youngster they like. COYR 

Well I hope they manage to stay up although it doesn't look good.

Have a good friend who is a Glover and I go with him a couple of times a year to see them. Very friendly club with still a non-league feel about it. They even have beer tent although I would recommend giving Green Ale a miss - probably the vilest drink in the world.

Occassionally their fans break into.song against their dreaded local rivals:

"Chim chimmeny chin chimmeny chim chim cheroo, we hate the scummers in claret and blue."

They're referring to Weymouth Town. Bless.

How anybody could disike Yeovil after that I don't know...

I agree with EH, ever since they tasted Championship football and realised their whole set up wouldn't cope they've been on a downward spiral.

Friendly as they are the place smacks of non league and I just don't think they want to finance at a higher level at the moment.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Yes, there must be. Sadly me and my mate are not of that vintage. Not even nearly.

I wish I could say the same, as a young boy in Weston, used to look at clubs like Bath, Yeovil and Weymouth with real envy

Archived