IGNORED

Yeovil

Alan Dicks

8 hours ago, Calculus said:

Well I hope they manage to stay up although it doesn't look good.

Have a good friend who is a Glover and I go with him a couple of times a year to see them. Very friendly club with still a non-league feel about it. They even have beer tent although I would recommend giving Green Ale a miss - probably the vilest drink in the world.

Occassionally their fans break into.song against their dreaded local rivals:

"Chim chimmeny chin chimmeny chim chim cheroo, we hate the scummers in claret and blue."

They're referring to Weymouth Town. Bless.

How anybody could disike Yeovil after that I don't know...

It could also apply to Taunton of course, with them and Weymouth still battling it out for promotion to tier 6 right now.

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Meadow Lane, being a non league ground seems mad..! 

Nothing will ever top Darlington's ground for Non League though....

Mad safecracker owner, buys them or builds them a ground that held 25,500...named it after himself, Reynolds Arena! Even signed Faustino Asprilla- didn't quite go to plan...

Yeovil v Taunton derby anyone- not yet but in a few years- or even in FA Trophy??

Amazing feat for them to reach that level of the Championship in the first place though- their rise intrinsically linked with GJ in 2 spells.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nothing will ever top Darlington's ground for Non League though....

Mad safecracker owner, buys them or builds them a ground that held 25,500...named it after himself, Reynolds Arena! Even signed Faustino Asprilla- didn't quite go to plan...

Yeovil v Taunton derby anyone- not yet but in a few years- or even in FA Trophy??

Amazing feat for them to reach that level of the Championship in the first place though- their rise intrinsically linked with GJ in 2 spells.

I expect I`m one of a very few on here that has actually seen a game there. I was working in Hartlepool and the owner of the B&B I was staying in was a Darlo STH and when I said I`d never been to the ground he took me to see an England non-league side play Italy U23s there. Tickets were free IIRC and there were about 8k there.

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Still doesn’t stop this being any less amusing..! 

A098C808-DE64-4AC8-8A2B-A51C12981450.jpeg

Football karma is about to strike :)

38 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I expect I`m one of a very few on here that has actually seen a game there. I was working in Hartlepool and the owner of the B&B I was staying in was a Darlo STH and when I said I`d never been to the ground he took me to see an England non-league side play Italy U23s there. Tickets were free IIRC and there were about 8k there.

I've seen us lose there loads of times :)

16 minutes ago, DeepSouthRed said:

I think GJ will go back to Yeovil now, maybe season after next when they fail to get into the conference playoffs. They’ll ride the nostalgia and clutch straws 

I’m not convinced he will. He’ll want to get Torquay back into the league I would have thought. 

I`m surprised it`s only sixteen years that they`ve been in the league, it seems like a lot longer.

Still, they`ve packed a fair bit in over that time TBF. I don`t think they`ll suffer too much going down though. Their crowds won`t change and may even increase if they start doing well. As long as they avoid going into freefall they ought to be OK.

7 hours ago, DeepSouthRed said:

I think GJ will go back to Yeovil now, maybe season after next when they fail to get into the conference playoffs. They’ll ride the nostalgia and clutch straws 

Just remember he was sacked the second time he was manager there. He was the major protagonist in closing the clubs youth system and reserve teams. His preference was to bring in a load of loaners instead, which ended up in Yeovil as a club only actually employing about a dozen footballers of their own!. That was the start of Yeovil,s decline. He took all the foundations away from the club and they still haven’t recovered. Very similar to what he left behind here, it took us a good 2-3 seasons to get all his dead wood out of the club, plus a succession of managers who had to try and pick up the pieces from what GJ had left behind. 

• Admin

I see a few of the Yeovil squad were pictured out in Taunton Saturday evening, not gone down well with their fan base. 

Have to laugh at the statement so say written by Paul Terry, not a chance he wrote it! 

YEOVIL STATEMENT 

The club is aware of images circulating on social media of members of the first-team management and playing staff on a night out after Saturday’s match with Northampton which saw relegation confirmed.

After investigating, those involved have been spoken to and the matter has been dealt with internally.

However, the group of those involved wished to make the following joint statement:

“We feel it’s important that we apologise to the club and supporters. Given the context of Saturday’s result at Northampton and the painful nature of relegation, it does not show any of us involved in a good light.

“As a collective group, we were left distraught with the consequences of Saturday’s draw at Northampton and, in a bid to air our frustration, a small group of us made the naïve decision to go to a bar. 

“Whilst I’m sure many can understand us wanting to unwind and temporarily forget about what had been a difficult day, the photos taken especially don’t portray our intentions in the right manner and we can understand how it looks. 

“It pains us to think that our actions on Saturday night have brought into question our commitment and empathy, as we can assure all those in association with the club that we are gutted with the season’s outcome.

“The photos were taken in the moment and without realisation of how they could appear to the fans, who would we cause no deliberate disrespect.

“We hope we can now focus on our final game of the season before working tirelessly to ensure 2019/20 can be a success.”

The club wishes to make no further comment on the matter. 

Archived