IGNORED

Gareth Bale

Slacker

Does anyone on here follow La Liga?Gareth Bale seems to have been getting dogs abuse from Real fans for ages.Anyone seen many of his performances? Has he really been playing that badly,does he get much gametime,or has he just been made a bit of a scapegoat?Always remember him being a great player at Spurs.

He's been playing okay. But he's basically being made the scapegoat for Madrid's poor performances this season. He hasn't helped himself by his refusal to learn Spanish or integrate properly with the team, but he's been no worse than anyone else in the team. Madrid fans do love to boo and whistle their own players though, especially when they go a whole season without winning anything!

7 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Does anyone on here follow La Liga?Gareth Bale seems to have been getting dogs abuse from Real fans for ages.Anyone seen many of his performances? Has he really been playing that badly,does he get much gametime,or has he just been made a bit of a scapegoat?Always remember him being a great player at Spurs.

One of the reasons seems to be his refusal to learn how to speak Spanish despite being over there for six years - but he’s certainly done pretty well for Real Madrid ...

21 minutes ago, Slacker said:

It’s because of his haircut. 

17 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

He's been playing okay. But he's basically being made the scapegoat for Madrid's poor performances this season. He hasn't helped himself by his refusal to learn Spanish or integrate properly with the team, but he's been no worse than anyone else in the team. Madrid fans do love to boo and whistle their own players though, especially when they go a whole season without winning anything!

Those people that fail to learn a language after so many years in a country get right on my nerv.....oh ?

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I want to retire to Spain and my priority will be to learn the lingo. 

I can just about order food and drink - and I know the numbers and some other basic stuff, but I would not want to live in a place where I can’t communicate. 

I wonder if he can speak Welsh?

I know what you mean.So many people in foreign countries can't be bothered to learn other languages.Its so lazy and ignorant.It really annoys me when I go abroad on holiday and the locals can't speak English. They really should make the effort!

16 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I've yet to find an interview with him in Spanish, aside from a very basic one from a year or so after he joined...

I've heard it's a myth! His Spanish is just fine...so I've heard 

It's more the integration,  he goes off and plays golf alone etc! So doesn't really do team meals,  evenings out, and those things,  especially as "sobremesa" is massive in spain .

18 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I want to retire to Spain and my priority will be to learn the lingo. 

I can just about order food and drink - and I know the numbers and some other basic stuff, but I would not want to live in a place where I can’t communicate. 

I wonder if he can speak Welsh?

Nope 

5 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Those people that fail to learn a language after so many years in a country get right on my nerv.....oh ?

Exactly.

But what is worse, i.e. more enlightening or even embarrassing, is when you listen to foreign players such as Vincent Kompany, Virgil van Dijk being interviewed.

Not only does their vocabulary seem larger, but they speak more eloquently compared to many of their English counterparts - there is a distinct absence of 'obviously', 'you know', 'like'.

I once heard Xabi Alonso being interviewed - forget afternoons being spent in pubs, betting shops or race courses; he was for visiting museums and art galleries, and was able to discuss the subject in perfect English.

You must have heard interviews with Ole Gunnar Solskjær: I appreciate that he is Norwegian, a Nation with a predilection for speaking English, but, not only is his English perfect, he even speaks with a Mancunian accent!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One of the reasons seems to be his refusal to learn how to speak Spanish despite being over there for six years - but he’s certainly done pretty well for Real Madrid ...

Perhaps his team mates speak welsh !

44 minutes ago, Judda said:

What a goal in the final though...

Wow...

This. Scores literally the best goal in Real’s history in terms of the biggest club match in world football. which would make any player a God like figure with any other clubs fans!

And to boot, the goal doesn’t even make the short list for FIFA / UEFA goal of the year. Instead they pander to the pony and give him the prize, which was no near to the level of technical ability of bales goal.....shocking!!! If I was him I’d be fooked right off by the whole thing as well.

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Exactly.

But what is worse, i.e. more enlightening or even embarrassing, is when you listen to foreign players such as Vincent Kompany, Virgil van Dijk being interviewed.

Not only does their vocabulary seem larger, but they speak more eloquently compared to many of their English counterparts - there is a distinct absence of 'obviously', 'you know', 'like'.

I once heard Xabi Alonso being interviewed - forget afternoons being spent in pubs, betting shops or race courses; he was for visiting museums and art galleries, and was able to discuss the subject in perfect English.

You must have heard interviews with Ole Gunnar Solskjær: I appreciate that he is Norwegian, a Nation with a predilection for speaking English, but, not only is his English perfect, he even speaks with a Mancunian accent!

I have a theory it's to do with TV at a young age! 

In the UK what foreign language television is there?  In spain it's true they have voice over, but the English version is available at the click of a button. Whereas is Portugal everything is on television is in the language is was made, so English, Portuguese, or Spanish! 

It was an eye opener to go to a tiny Portuguese village,  and meet a woman in her 60s practical fluent in English. 

7 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

This. Scores literally the best goal in Real’s history in terms of the biggest club match in world football. which would make any player a God like figure with any other clubs fans!

And to boot, the goal doesn’t even make the short list for FIFA / UEFA goal of the year. Instead they pander to the pony and give him the prize, which was no near to the level of technical ability of bales goal.....shocking!!! If I was him I’d be fooked right off by the whole thing as well.

You are exactly right, He scored! 

The run off the pitch goal in the copa del Rey final 

He scored the "winning" goal in the decima final. For 12 years they chased that trophy and he got the goal to put them ahead.

Then last year's overhead kick 

By any standard,  those 3 goals alone would put you in the category known as legend, but this is real culture. What next, what next, what next.

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

In the UK what foreign language television is there?  In spain it's true they have voice over, but the English version is available at the click of a button. Whereas is Portugal everything is on television is in the language is was made, so English, Portuguese, or Spanish! 

It was an eye opener to go to a tiny Portuguese village,  and meet a woman in her 60s practical fluent in English. 

You are exactly right, He scored! 

The run off the pitch goal in the copa del Rey final 

He scored the "winning" goal in the decima final. For 12 years they chased that trophy and he got the goal to put them ahead.

Then last year's overhead kick 

By any standard,  those 3 goals alone would put you in the category known as legend, but this is real culture. What next, what next, what next.

I agree with your theory re TV programmes in English adding their know.edge and add in to that music.

As a general comment, said many times, we are dreadful at learning other languages

10 hours ago, soultrader said:

I suspect at 300k per week he can probably handle 90mins of booing

According to an item on R5L last night is it significantly more than that.

The discussion was around RM and their rebuild, the journalist mentioned that one of their problems was getting Bale off the wage bill!

3 hours ago, The turtle said:

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree with your theory re TV programmes in English adding their know.edge and add in to that music.

As a general comment, said many times, we are dreadful at learning other languages

It used to be the case that English television programmes (certainly BBC) were freely available on Dutch TV, although I wasn't aware that programmes were shown in their original language in Portugal - this would perhaps explain why English is spoken so widely and to such a high standard in Madeira. I assume this is also the case in Scandinavia, although as I have never been there I am not really sure - perhaps one of our resident Swedes, @bristolcitysweden, @Garland-sweden, might be able to advise.

In so far as it concerns our failure to speak foreign languages or, at least, not as well as foreigners speak English, I think there are probably two reasons:

Firstly, in most European countries children start learning a foreign language when they begin school, i.e. from the age of 4 or 5, whereas in the UK it is often not until they start secondary school.

Secondly, there is the case of 'needs must', or necessity. As we know all too well, numerous British tourists flock to sunny climes every summer and manage to eat and drink without ever feeling the need to speak a word of the local language; some, embarrassingly, seem too lazy even to learn how to say Please or Thank You in their hosts' language. Can you imagine how a non-English speaking Greek or German would manage in a North Street pub or restaurant?  

Archived