IGNORED

Gareth Bale

Slacker

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It used to be the case that English television programmes (certainly BBC) were freely available on Dutch TV, although I wasn't aware that programmes were shown in their original language in Portugal - this would perhaps explain why English is spoken so widely and to such a high standard in Madeira. I assume this is also the case in Scandinavia, although as I have never been there I am not really sure - perhaps one of our resident Swedes, @bristolcitysweden, @Garland-sweden, might be able to advise.

In so far as it concerns our failure to speak foreign languages or, at least, not as well as foreigners speak English, I think there are probably two reasons:

Firstly, in most European countries children start learning a foreign language when they begin school, i.e. from the age of 4 or 5, whereas in the UK it is often not until they start secondary school.

Secondly, there is the case of 'needs must', or necessity. As we know all too well, numerous British tourists flock to sunny climes every summer and manage to eat and drink without ever feeling the need to speak a word of the local language; some, embarrassingly, seem too lazy even to learn how to say Please or Thank You in their hosts' language. Can you imagine how a non-English speaking Greek or German would manage in a North Street pub or restaurant?  

Yes. Point and shout?

On 25/04/2019 at 21:56, The turtle said:

I've heard it's a myth! His Spanish is just fine...so I've heard 

It's more the integration,  he goes off and plays golf alone etc! So doesn't really do team meals,  evenings out, and those things,  especially as "sobremesa" is massive in spain .

See I struggle to believe it is a myth. Footballers are brands as much as the clubs as they vye for Nike; Adidas etc sponsorship.

His agent is not going to be stupid.  If Bale had decent - at worst Spanish - there would be a pre-recorded interview of him speaking Spanish out already. The fact there isn’t tells the full and whole story, in my humble. 

Here in Sweden the children at the age of 10 start to learn english in school. Many movies are from USA  or England. 1860-1920 a great deal of our population moved to America, we were very poor at that time.  Many swedes have relatives in the USA. Music, culture, many influnces from UK and USA. We also learn german, french or spanish in school when we getting older. Myself have learned english, german and french in school. English and german i can understand and speak ok, french not so good. Think its a good system we have in school that we can learn foreign languages. Today I will watch the game on BCTV, nervous. Think and hope we will win,. COYR!!!

On 25/04/2019 at 22:16, PHILINFRANCE said:

You must have heard interviews with Ole Gunnar Solskjær: I appreciate that he is Norwegian, a Nation with a predilection for speaking English, but, not only is his English perfect, he even speaks with a Mancunian accent!

Bit like Jan Molby, the Dane with the scouse accent!

Archived