IGNORED

Retiring a shirt/number

Maesknoll Red

We’re becoming far to mawkish.  People die, accidents happen and sometimes it’s unfair and shitty but that’s the way it’s always been.

We are far too obsessed with grandstanding gestures just because someone’s snuffed it.

The only time I can see retiring a number as reasonable is if the player was wearing it when they died on the pitch (and that would only be due to following players being superstitious).

Ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

8 and 42 are retired twice. How does that work?

42 is because the number was retired across the entire league in remembrance of Jackie Robinson. So every team has retired that number, but Rivera played in that number for the Yankees before it was retired.

8, I assume that the decision to retire the number was made after both Berra and Dickey had finished playing. @The turtle should be able to confirm as he is a fan of the Evil Empire Yankees. 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

42 is because the number was retired across the entire league in remembrance of Jackie Robinson. So every team has retired that number, but Rivera played in that number for the Yankees before it was retired.

8, I assume that the decision to retire the number was made after both Berra and Dickey had finished playing. @The turtle should be able to confirm as he is a fan of the Evil Empire Yankees. 

The legacy of the Yankees pretty much exists in the fact 1-10 Are all retired.

For some reason,  they didn't retire straight after dickey. Berra came along pretty soon after (1 or 2 years). By the time berra finished playing, they found themselves in a situation where the only thing to do was retire for both (they are both prob top 5 all time in catchers)

Archived