IGNORED

If we were in the PL next season...

reddogkev

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, it seems a case of the heart ruling the head.  If City were in danger of the drop, there is probably a strong business case for changing the manager and trying to stay up where possible, it sounds harsh, but at least Lee would receive a large pay-out and his profile would be very high.  Securing a top Championship job would be no problem for him.

Never mind the PL, City were on the cusp of the Championship relegation spots and LJ wasn’t sacked. As a club we are clearly now taking a longer term view towards the manager - which is currently proving a good strategy, with year-on-year improvement. It would seem unlikely therefore that we would sack LJ even if we were relegated. I would also back that decision - having got us there he would have enormous credit in the bank, and would have the proven credentials to bring us back up.

Burnley adopted this approach with Dyche and have been rewarded for it.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Yes the way he has beaten so many Premier League clubs since the start of last season is awful 

My view is that one off Cup games, often against weakened teams and a do or die attitude from City, is simply no guide to a full season at a higher level.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So what has guided you to your dreaded thoughts?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So what has guided you to your dreaded thoughts?

Well,  there are countless examples, but to take this season look at Brighton, my nearest Prem team.  Did well in the cup under an excellent manager and now desperately fighting for survival under same manager.

There really is little correlation between lower Prem teams and Champ teams beating a higher Prem team in a one off Cup game and a season at a higher level.

City has done well in Cup last season but we are still in the division below. OK you may think we will be promoted.  Although that would on the surface be great, I don't think for one moment that is likely.

8 hours ago, santibello said:

Personally i think we should invest very little, maybe 20m max. 

If we do that and go down, we still have money to spend and a foundation to build on. If we do that and stay up , we're laughing 

I don’t think 20m is going to cut it I’m afraid.

Given that we would get £120m for finishing bottom with zero points I think we could push the boat out a little more!

As I said earlier don’t do a Fulham but spend wisely in key areas that we need to strengthen even if we stay in the Championship.

If we go up we would be looking to be shopping in Waitrose for those key areas, stay were we are and it will be Sainsbury’s.

19 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Well,  there are countless examples, but to take this season look at Brighton, my nearest Prem team.  Did well in the cup under an excellent manager and now desperately fighting for survival under same manager.

There really is little correlation between lower Prem teams and Champ teams beating a higher Prem team in a one off Cup game and a season at a higher level.

City has done well in Cup last season but we are still in the division below. OK you may think we will be promoted.  Although that would on the surface be great, I don't think for one moment that is likely.

You’ve completely avoided the question unless I’ve misunderstood your dread post. It seemed to me that you would dread being in the prem mainly because LJ would be our manager in the Prem. Is that what you meant? If so then why?

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You’ve completely avoided the question unless I’ve misunderstood your dread post. It seemed to me that you would dread being in the prem mainly because LJ would be our manager in the Prem. Is that what you meant? If so then why?

I hope I made it clear that (1) this team isn't good enough.  Nowhere near the talent of Dicks' team and (2) LJ has no pedigree either as a player, an assistant, or manager at that level.  Moreover his patches of disaster at current level have been too frequent and too damning for me to have confidence.  He is simply no Alan Dicks or anywhere near imo

44 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I hope I made it clear that (1) this team isn't good enough.  Nowhere near the talent of Dicks' team and (2) LJ has no pedigree either as a player, an assistant, or manager at that level.  Moreover his patches of disaster at current level have been too frequent and too damning for me to have confidence.  He is simply no Alan Dicks or anywhere near imo

He doesn’t have to be Alan Dicks to survive. His patches of excellence at this level give me great hope. 

Plenty of managers without top flight experience keep their team up. 

No need to compare to Dicks and his team 

45 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sounds like some fans are already starting to sharpen the knives for LJ next season, even if we're in the prem 

56 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I think that is mainly bollocks.

Alan Dicks was no guru (he took the club to the edge of extinction FFS) and the players we had would be murdered in todays championship let alone the Premier League.

Football has surprisingly moved on in the last 45 years.

12 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Let's say that somehow we make it to the top six, win in the final, and flood College Green with an ocean of red, what next?

Even though it seems unlikely, it's bloody exciting that the chance is there of this happening.

What would need to change at the club in just one summer?  How much cash should we spend?  Should we be cavalier, or cautious?

Do we all expect to get relegated and accept a season of struggle, or do we expect to survive in our debut season?

Final thought - I fear our inexperienced management trio won't be able to keep the club up; should we look to hire an additional coach with PL experience?  Would LJ be sacked if we were in the bottom three come Christmas, or would the club give him the full season, no matter what may come?

Anyway, thought I'd post this today, before Derby potentially spoil things tomorrow (not that I can see it, I reckon we'll win 2-1).

g pShould should spend the money we get wisely on upcoming plkayers. Probably would go down again within a short time but with the coffin filled for futher wise investmenst and 

Archived