IGNORED

LJ Derby Presser - O’Dowda

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The interview contained within (ignore Brownhill bit).

About 7:30 into the interview Lee talks about Callum and his injury.  What do others make of this?  Doesn’t sound great to me, but maybe i’m Putting 2+2 and getting 5.

Care to summarise for those of us in work and shouldn't be on OTIB in the first place? :whistle:

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The interview contained within (ignore Brownhill bit).

About 7:30 into the interview Lee talks about Callum and his injury.  What do others make of this?  Doesn’t sound great to me, but maybe i’m Putting 2+2 and getting 5.

Impossible to decide what LJ true thoughts are really as you can read what he said in different ways.  He did seem a bit annoyed but I think more so that COD wont play through the pain barrier anyway and nothing to do with contract talks or wanting to leave 

1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Care to summarise for those of us in work and shouldn't be on OTIB in the first place? :whistle:

LJ was asked if COD not playing had anything to do with contract talks and/or wanting to leave.

LJ said he didn't know but then went on to say that COD doesn't play through pain and that might come down to him being young and not having many injuries, not knowing what you can play through.  He gave opposite example as Maenpaa who is much older and will play through pain as he knows he can. 

@Coppello

Gregor asks whether him not playing is down to contract.  Lee replies “you never know, I don’t think so, don’t think he’s that type of lad”, but he’s not very dismissive of the question.

Goes on to talk about injury, and although it's healed is getting a bit of pain, that goes away. Also that other players would play with pain, and some are “soldiers”.  

Also says if Callum is focused and motivated, he brings other attributes to the squad we don’t have, also “I have no problems with Callum as a lad”.  Does this suggest he’s not focussed and / or motivated?

Just seemed a bit of a weird one in the way LJ answered the Qs.

I thought it sounded like we needed him to pull his socks up and play as we need him.

He said he was a great lad, good student but feels a bit of a twinge in his ligaments which only lasts for about a minute and only occurs when ligament stretched. He said he has been given an injection to try to settle it down a bit. Lee said he has had injuries himself and sometimes now feels a twinge, same with  Maenpaa and you learn with experience to play on. He said he doesn’t know if CoD hasn’t had that many injuries and so hasn’t got the experience. ( I took it to mean he isn’t handling pain very well or thinks there is pain when there isn’t).

As I said it was a man up and get out there message, probably with an injection to psychologically help as much as physically. 

Edit: I have noticed with CoD in the past though that there are no injuries where you only miss one game with him, if he has an injury he is out for weeks if not months. Wasn’t it last season he missed a huge chunk of too?

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought it sounded like we needed him to pull his socks up and play as we need him.

He said he was a great lad, good student but feels a bit of a twinge in his ligaments which only lasts for about a minute and only occurs when ligament stretched. He said he has been given an injection to try to settle it down a bit. Lee said he has had injuries himself and sometimes now feels a twinge, same with  Maenpaa and you learn with experience to play on. He said he doesn’t know if CoD hasn’t had that many injuries and so hasn’t got the experience. ( I took it to mean he isn’t handling pain very well or thinks there is pain when there isn’t).

As I said it was a man up and get out there message, probably with an injection to psychologically help as much as physically. 

Edit: I have noticed with CoD in the past though that there are no injuries where you only miss one game with him, if he has an injury he is out for weeks if not months. Wasn’t it last season he missed a huge chunk of too?

It was, but didn't he actually quite badly injure his leg diving in for a tackle?

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello

Gregor asks whether him not playing is down to contract.  Lee replies “you never know, I don’t think so, don’t think he’s that type of lad”, but he’s not very dismissive of the question.

Goes on to talk about injury, and although it's healed is getting a bit of pain, that goes away. Also that other players would play with pain, and some are “soldiers”.  

Also says if Callum is focused and motivated, he brings other attributes to the squad we don’t have, also “I have no problems with Callum as a lad”.  Does this suggest he’s not focussed and / or motivated?

Just seemed a bit of a weird one in the way LJ answered the Qs.

Wouldn’t surprise me if LJ asked them to ask that question so he could say his piece on it

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

That is a very pessimistic view of what was said in my opinion 

I think attitude might be he issue because last season Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan were in the same situation and LJ played them 

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was, but didn't he actually quite badly injure his leg diving in for a tackle?

He did. A rash tackle by him, can’t remember which game it was. I remember seeing it. I’m not saying the injury wasn’t bad, just he does seem to get long term injuriesor knocks that go on and on.

I understand some people can’t take pain, and bodies heal differently but to do a job where you are inviting inuries more than most employment probably takes some mental effort from him even if you have the physical skills.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

He did. A rash tackle by him, can’t remember which game it was. I remember seeing it. I’m not saying the injury wasn’t bad, just he does seem to get long term injuriesor knocks that go on and on.

I understand some people can’t take pain, and bodies heal differently but to do a job where you are inviting inuries more than most employment probably takes some mental effort from him even if you have the physical skills.

I want to say it was Hull away. Was the very first thing I saw on the stream I was watching, early in the second half.

If I haven't got the games mixed up Brownhill scored the winner from outside the area.

I guess there’s a chance that he wants out in the summer is happy to see out the season in the stands and doesn’t want to risk a long term injury that puts any potential move in jeopardy.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see COD in a city shirt again.  Disappointing if true.

His ankle injury was pretty serious and complicated so he may now be more careful or even afraid of another serious injury. As for his contract situation, it would not surprise me at all, if he went to Forest to be with O'Neill who gave him plenty of games with Republic.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he went as I consider that he has not used his talent to the full in his time with us. He promises so much but has rarely delivered. The goal away this season, can't remember which game, is one such event but he can be very frustrating for the rest of the team in games because he rarely passes the ball early enough, preferring to do the "clockwork mouse" routine.

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I guess there’s a chance that he wants out in the summer is happy to see out the season in the stands and doesn’t want to risk a long term injury that puts any potential move in jeopardy.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see COD in a city shirt again.  Disappointing if true.

As you say, if that is the case its very disappointing, sadly if true he'll not be leaving with too many good wishes ringing in his ears... instead he will experience a deserved virtual battering from many of the Ashton Gate faithful.

Out of the frying pan into the fryer for COD … but as we all know there are plenty more fish in the sea. 

Hopefully he will come out fighting, become a regular fixture in the team and go on to earn legendary status as a Bristol City folk hero... We love our heroes at The Gate and life doesn't get much better than that for the few who experience it.

Come on COD, it's time to sink it swim!   

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

Hull away.

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

37 minutes ago, RedM said:

Away to Hull.

33 minutes ago, General Zod said:

This. 

Mind-blowing when you consider he's got a chance to give it his all in these final few games and potentially double his wages and go to the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

it would not surprise me at all, if he went to Forest to be with O'Neill who gave him plenty of games with Republic.

I'm not so sure on this. It's one thing to rate him for RoI, but does COD displace any of their current midfield? Big no from me. I don't think they'd want or need him.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I want to say it was Hull away. Was the very first thing I saw on the stream I was watching, early in the second half.

If I haven't got the games mixed up Brownhill scored the winner from outside the area.

That was the original injury last season.  The presser is referring to current injury.

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This. 

Mind-blowing when you consider he's got a chance to give it his all in these final few games and potentially double his wages and go to the Premier League. 

For me, COD should’ve signed a new deal here, increased his wages, and given us next season with some mutual agreement that we would accept suitable offers.  He properly broke through last season until the injury at Hull.  Became established this season as a regular upon return from last season’s injury, and was starting to add end product to his game, albeit inconsistently.  Next season I would’ve expected his to become a key player (not just a regular) and I think as a result he would have much better clubs interested in him.  City won’t hang onto him this summer in a vain attempt to get him to sign a new deal.  They will cash-in, and although they won’t get full value, they won’t be left with nothing either.  Callum may find out that with the kinds of teams interested in him, that the grass is t necessarily greener.

Yes, Hull away, thank you all. I was there and saw it but couldn’t remember which ground it was at. Think it was Millwall away about 6 months later that he made his comeback.  I was there too and remember him going off early in the second half, wasn’t that injury too or just a tactical sub. All these games are blurring into one now, I’m getting old ?

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

just let him go ffs

really not as great as he thinks he is, has achieved very little in his career to try and force a better contract

Sounds like he thinks he's already arrived at the destination when in fact he's only just started the engine. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

LJ was asked if COD not playing had anything to do with contract talks and/or wanting to leave.

LJ said he didn't know but then went on to say that COD doesn't play through pain and that might come down to him being young and not having many injuries, not knowing what you can play through.  He gave opposite example as Maenpaa who is much older and will play through pain as he knows he can. 

On more positive news, I hope this means Niki is playing tomorrow.

Archived