Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

hodge

Bolton Wanderers (Merged)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

On Sky Sports News atm, proposed takeover by Cheshire consortium is apparently off.

Got to feel sorry for the fans. They have been through a succession of false dawns over the years.

Hopefully there will be some sort of last minute rescue in place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Got to feel sorry for the fans. They have been through a succession of false dawns over the years.

Hopefully there will be some sort of last minute rescue in place.

The takeover seemed to be happening then Anderson said whoever was taking over would pay the owed wages as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hodge said:

The takeover seemed to be happening then Anderson said whoever was taking over would pay the owed wages as well.

Which I am guessing is not an insignificant amount of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Got to feel sorry for the fans. They have been through a succession of false dawns over the years.

Hopefully there will be some sort of last minute rescue in place.

They didn't seem to give a shit about anyone else when they were riding high in the Premier league and their chairman Gartside wanted to ringfence the top flight.

  • Like 9
  • Aubergine 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

They didn't seem to give a shit about anyone else when they were riding high in the Premier league and their chairman Gartside wanted to ringfence the top flight.

It wasn't the fans calling for ringfencing though it was their chairman.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like takeover or liquidation are the only options for them now, the guy that was looking to take them over (Basran) sounds a bit like a family that took over a club not too far away, in that he talks the talk but never actually seems to be able to back it up with any real investment

If they get liquidated Anderson will get less money back so it will be in his interests to flog the club

EFL rules indicate liquidation is not just paying 3 months running costs but also paying off secured creditors and at least 25% of unsecured creditors, this is rumored to be in excess of £10M as it currently stands

There are whispers that there was another un-named group looking at the club, with all the above it may open up to a cheaper purchase for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

shite for their fans.

Am I right in thinking we’ll lose 4 points if they don’t fulfill their fixtures for the rest of the season? 

I believe that is the case but I am pretty certain it won't come to that.

Given there are not too many games left I expect the EFL and the PFA would step in and 'finance' them through to the end of the season in the hope that something more permanent could be done over the summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

shite for their fans.

Am I right in thinking we’ll lose 4 points if they don’t fulfill their fixtures for the rest of the season? 

If thats the case ibwould imagine most around us would lose 6??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If thats the case ibwould imagine most around us would lose 6??

 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

shite for their fans.

Am I right in thinking we’ll lose 4 points if they don’t fulfill their fixtures for the rest of the season? 

It would be interesting to see what it would do to the current top half of the table. Anyone got time to work it out..? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

 

It would be interesting to see what it would do to the current top half of the table. Anyone got time to work it out..? 

It would only change placings between Forest & Sheff Weds. 

It would leave us 3 points behind 6th place, instead of the current 2 points. 

It would move us slightly further ahead of the chasing pack though. 

Villa, Boro, Forest & Derby have only played them once though, so they’d lose that fixture from their “games to play” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

 

It would be interesting to see what it would do to the current top half of the table. Anyone got time to work it out..? 

Pinched from a different forum 

F4868BB5-3250-4E8F-8016-2303EF5A8747.png.80d9e6f6f6623eb75ff68cfb63abb248.png.dcd72cb6be4948ace27d1196f516ba77.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

shite for their fans.

Am I right in thinking we’ll lose 4 points if they don’t fulfill their fixtures for the rest of the season? 

Only 3 isn't it? The 0-1 away win. We lost at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Drew away, won at home.

Getting mixed up with the Birmingham FFP thread sorry.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It wasn't the fans calling for ringfencing though it was their chairman.

 

Yeah I bet they were opposed to it when they were bringing in ex Real players and on jolly's through europe courtesy of Sky money......

Sorry to upset the sentimentalists on otib but you reap what you sow.

I wouldn't expect any sympathy from fans anywhere else if we went pop.

just my opinion, this is a forum after all.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for their fans. It must be horrible. 

When we beat them 6-0 2 seasons ago, I was in the Attyeo stand right next to them. 

Football fans can sometimes be as cruel as schoolchildren regarding pisstakes. Not on that occasion - we were magnanimous on that occasion. 

Absolutely NOBODY in the City area shouted abuse at them or taunted them - their fans threw their Bolton shirts at the players in disgust. 

It was sad to see - of course I was pleased with a 6-0 win but I felt for them - as I do now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I feel sorry for their fans. It must be horrible. 

When we beat them 6-0 2 seasons ago, I was in the Attyeo stand right next to them. 

Football fans can sometimes be as cruel as schoolchildren regarding pisstakes. Not on that occasion - we were magnanimous on that occasion. 

Absolutely NOBODY in the City area shouted abuse at them or taunted them - their fans threw their Bolton shirts at the players in disgust. 

It was sad to see - of course I was pleased with a 6-0 win but I felt for them - as I do now. 

I was still in th Arturo then & everyone around me were taking the piss 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

 I was particularly welcoming to Zak Clough too.

He's definitely had the last laugh though with his premier league assists and scoring recor.... oh hang on!  - he's at Rochdale. 

Funny I thought Daddy said he was far too good for a Championship side like us?

 

Back on topic - I feel sorry for the Bolton fans - I remember going to school that day in 1982.
I hope they get a reprieve somehow and still have a club of some sorts to follow,

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Yeah I bet they were opposed to it when they were bringing in ex Real players and on jolly's through europe courtesy of Sky money......

Sorry to upset the sentimentalists on otib but you reap what you sow.

I wouldn't expect any sympathy from fans anywhere else if we went pop.

just my opinion, this is a forum after all.

We did go pop. In fact we were trend setters after Accrington and Bradford PA. 

Bristol Rovers tried to buy our ground and all our players were sold cheap. 

Bolton can go duck themselves dog eat dog and we aren’t dinner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will there be a whole squad of players available on FOC if this happens? Anyone we would be keen to take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cityal said:

I feel sorry for the Bolton fans - I remember going to school that day in 1982.
I hope they get a reprieve somehow and still have a club of some sorts to follow,

Me too....I remember that day at school in 1982 so well, we were distraught thinking our club had died....there were tears. Bolton Wanderers is a proper football club totally immersed in the fabric of English football.....it cannot cease to exist, it isn’t right.

13 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Does that mean our FA Cup result will be wiped out?  So we didn't play in the 4th Round?

You’re all heart VR.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Who's their keeper?

Remi Matthews? I was thinking that someone like Donaldson or Josh Magennis could take some pressure of Fammy for the rest of the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless a special exception is made (should BWFC cease to exist), none of these players were out of contract at the end of the window, so would not be allowed to be registered to play this season.

No exception was made for Doidge earlier this season, so can’t see any different happening here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Unless a special exception is made (should BWFC cease to exist), none of these players were out of contract at the end of the window, so would not be allowed to be registered to play this season.

No exception was made for Doidge earlier this season, so can’t see any different happening here.

That's a very bad position for the EFL put the players in. As they haven't been paid (allegedly) in recent months, they would be denying the players the ability to ply their trade until July at the earliest. I think this may come under the Restraint of Trade law within the UK.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a very bad position for the EFL put the players in. As they haven't been paid (allegedly) in recent months, they would be denying the players the ability to ply their trade until July at the earliest. I think this may come under the Restraint of Trade law within the UK.

You may well be right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So will there be a whole squad of players available on FOC if this happens? Anyone we would be keen to take?

......the gas were called Vultures (amongst other things!) on here for circling around Pompey’s relatively recent financial plight to see if they could pick up some tasty bargains....I’d rather hope that a proper, grand old football institution is saved and continues to exist and then thrive....Bolton Wanderers were founder members of the football league in 1888 - football owes them a great debt - they should be helped out by the endless amounts of cash sloshing around our game....I would much rather see clubs like Bolton saved and preserved rather than see lots of old, established clubs go out of business to be replaced by the Milton Keynes’ of this world...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a very bad position for the EFL put the players in. As they haven't been paid (allegedly) in recent months, they would be denying the players the ability to ply their trade until July at the earliest. I think this may come under the Restraint of Trade law within the UK.

I often wonder how a union full of millionaires can't help out their less fortunate members though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Unless a special exception is made (should BWFC cease to exist), none of these players were out of contract at the end of the window, so would not be allowed to be registered to play this season.

No exception was made for Doidge earlier this season, so can’t see any different happening here.

 

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a very bad position for the EFL put the players in. As they haven't been paid (allegedly) in recent months, they would be denying the players the ability to ply their trade until July at the earliest. I think this may come under the Restraint of Trade law within the UK.

If players have not been paid doesn't that put Bolton in breach of contract? If so, then I reckon in these circumstances the contract could be regarded as void, making the players effectively free agents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

 

If players have not been paid doesn't that put Bolton in breach of contract? If so, then I reckon in these circumstances the contract could be regarded as void, making the players effectively free agents.

It's a weird one, but I would strongly expect they would be free to sign for another club and play in the case that a club is liquidated.

The issue is being a free agent at the point of the window closing, but if Bolton cease to exist their record is wiped from the League. Surely that means the players' appearances for them are wiped from the record thus effectively making them free to be registered at that point. It would be a nonsense otherwise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a very bad position for the EFL put the players in. As they haven't been paid (allegedly) in recent months, they would be denying the players the ability to ply their trade until July at the earliest. I think this may come under the Restraint of Trade law within the UK.

I agree. EFL could be taken to court, and would be found guilty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I often wonder how a union full of millionaires can't help out their less fortunate members though.

It’s dog eat cat isn’t it ?

The top six won’t be happy until they’ve sucked all competition and life out of the sport so that they can play amongst themselves in their own little rich boys playground.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a sad day to see 3 clubs with winding up petitions in court today. I think a lot of Bolton fans are assuming that the judge will be lenient due to their history and standing in the local community, however, with the two other clubs being heard after Bolton, you would have to assume he/ she cannot favour one over the others.

Bolton has been a basket case for years. Ever since they dropped out of the Prem, they have had a succession of owners who have kicked the can (debts) down the road. It may well happen again but eventually it will come back and bite you, and each time it will bite even harder than the last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

  ...the gas were called Vultures (amongst other things!) on here for circling around Pompey’s relatively recent financial plight to see if they could pick up some tasty bargains....I’d rather hope that a proper, grand old football institution is saved and continues to exist and then thrive....Bolton Wanderers were founder members of the football league in 1888 - football owes them a great debt - they should be helped out by the endless amounts of cash sloshing around our game....

*I would much rather see clubs like Bolton saved and preserved rather than see lots of old, established clubs go out of business to be replaced by the Milton Keynes’ of this world...   

Nobody 'saved & preserved' Woolworths 😢   & now the whole f'ing High St is endangered.

I still miss their Pick 'n Mix & the Woollies tv adverts … Haribo sweets just aint the same - & their adverts are embarrassingly shite.

English football just won't be the same without good old Bolton Wanderers. 

Edited by WhistleHappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Nobody 'saved & preserved' Woolworths 😢   & now the whole f'ing High St is endangered.

I still miss the Pick 'n Mix the Woollies tv adverts … Haribo sweets just aint the same - & their adverts are embarrassingly shite.

English football just won't be the same without good old Bolton Wanderers. 

Birmingham on the other hand ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Super said:

Got a buyer for the club. Good news.

It is good news, although they had a buyer lined up yesterday and they dropped out.

Hopefully the current owner isn't too demanding and gets a deal done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading between the lines, if the deal doesnt go through then its very possible that they will be wound up.

I didnt realise it was the 6th time in about 16 months they've been on the brink!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It is good news, although they had a buyer lined up yesterday and they dropped out.

Hopefully the current owner isn't too demanding and gets a deal done.

The last demand that apparently broke the previous deal was that the incoming party should pay the outstanding wages. I don't know the full circumstances, but if the current owner doesn't have the money to pay up, then it will have to part of any future deal too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, phantom said:

Not just Bolton tomorrow 

IMG_20190319_212252.jpg

IMG_20190319_212255.jpg

IMG_20190319_212257.jpg

Will be interesting to see how the other two get on now. The non-league board are famously far more stringent in applying their rules. so Ebbsfleet could get a massive hit for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Will be interesting to see how the other two get on now. The non-league board are famously far more stringent in applying their rules. so Ebbsfleet could get a massive hit for this. 

North Ferriby United who played in the National League in the season before last and won the FA Trophy in 2015 were wound-up last week and have totally ceased to exist.

I'm not even too sure where North Ferriby is, but it's always sad to hear of things like this happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...