IGNORED

Bolton Wanderers (Merged)

Lrrr

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

A normal person in this position would have to carry on working or be in breach of contract, they would be considered as quit. At least that's how I understand it, you have to be available to work even if you're not getting paid. Footballers just look on it as a free transfer, they would probably be able to claim lost earnings back too. 

I'm pretty sure teams undertake a contract to guarantee they can afford to make it to the end of the season , they would be in breach. I would expect administration . Then I would think the EFL would pay the wages,  this would allow the season to finish naturally ,  and being 'football debt' it was usually first to be paid. This may have changed now, as I know there were murmurings that it wasn't fair . 
M'boro were docked 3 points and fined £50,000 for the game they didn't fulfil , that was 1997. The points are meaningless to Bolton, that said so is the money as they don't have any. The take over has been imminent for weeks, the whole thing is a mess and I would expect severe  sanctions against them if they do manage to stay alive.

Many of the players contracts (Including Mark Little) expire in June. I think the EFL will pick up the wages for the rest of the season (they've probably got insurance to cover this) so games will be played. Neither Forest or Brentford can be promoted/relegated so actual timing of games other than before end of season isnt significant. 

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Not exactly sure where the law sits currently but the difference, that is crucial, is that all players are on fixed term employment contracts where as most people that are employed have an employment contract that does not have a fixed term.

The rules around where you stand if not being paid are different - at least, they used to be.

Not 100% sure, but I think if a player doesn't get paid for a month they are allowed to look for another team, not sure how they stand with unpaid wages though. In the normal walk of life I've known a few people who have had to work when not being paid, it's a horrible situation.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Not 100% sure, but I think if a player doesn't get paid for a month they are allowed to look for another team, not sure how they stand with unpaid wages though. In the normal walk of life I've known a few people who have had to work when not being paid, it's a horrible situation.

I think you are right regarding the 1 month thing.

Re ‘normal’ jobs I dont know.

3 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Many of the players contracts (Including Mark Little) expire in June. I think the EFL will pick up the wages for the rest of the season (they've probably got insurance to cover this) so games will be played. Neither Forest or Brentford can be promoted/relegated so actual timing of games other than before end of season isnt significant. 

The EFL must be glad the fixture fell like that, bad as the situation is , it would have been a nightmare if they played teams involved at the top or bottom of the League.  Though I expect they would want them played as scheduled .

it has happened in the non league world. Weymouth were not paying the players wages, the players went on strike , and the club put out the youth team to fulfill the fixture, which they duely lost 9-0 (i think). A number of their fans who knew this was going to happen did quite well at the bookies, apparently

52 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

it has happened in the non league world. Weymouth were not paying the players wages, the players went on strike , and the club put out the youth team to fulfill the fixture, which they duely lost 9-0 (i think). A number of their fans who knew this was going to happen did quite well at the bookies, apparently

Yep i remember this!

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Struggle to see Bolton continuing to exist as a football club, shocking to think how poorly they must've been managed since their PL days.

Sad times for the Bolton fans.

SINCE their PL days?

I've read that in only 1 of their 11 years in the premier league did they make a profit. 

43 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Meanwhile, in North Bristol, Wael will be eyeing a potentially vacant football stadium and wondering how Bolton North Bristol Rovers will be received by the blue few. 

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

True, but how would players feel if owners were allow to deduct part of their wages when they played shite or played like they couldn't be bothered?

They do, it’s called not getting their win bonus.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

A normal person in this position would have to carry on working or be in breach of contract, they would be considered as quit. At least that's how I understand it, you have to be available to work even if you're not getting paid. Footballers just look on it as a free transfer, they would probably be able to claim lost earnings back too. 

I'm pretty sure teams undertake a contract to guarantee they can afford to make it to the end of the season , they would be in breach. I would expect administration . Then I would think the EFL would pay the wages,  this would allow the season to finish naturally ,  and being 'football debt' it was usually first to be paid. This may have changed now, as I know there were murmurings that it wasn't fair . 
M'boro were docked 3 points and fined £50,000 for the game they didn't fulfil , that was 1997. The points are meaningless to Bolton, that said so is the money as they don't have any. The take over has been imminent for weeks, the whole thing is a mess and I would expect severe  sanctions against them if they do manage to stay alive.

There’s a very strong argument for constructive dismissal when you’ve not been paid. The players and their agents will undoubtedly have been well advised already. 

I would think the "takeover" is far from being completed, and wouldn't be surprised if the next announcement was that they've gone completely to the wall. 

The possibility of Bolton Wanderers ceasing to exist, could well become a possibility in the coming days/weeks.

I presume the "players" include all - u18s included, hence the forfeiture. 

Bristol Rovers could well be safe before a ball is even kicked tomorrow, if the EFL/FA decide to relegate Bolton even farther down the leagues...

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

I would think the "takeover" is far from being completed, and wouldn't be surprised if the next announcement was that they've gone completely to the wall. 

The possibility of Bolton Wanderers ceasing to exist, could well become a possibility in the coming days/weeks.

I presume the "players" include all - u18s included, hence the forfeiture. 

Bristol Rovers could well be safe before a ball is even kicked tomorrow, if the EFL/FA decide to relegate Bolton even farther down the leagues...

Just highlights there are so many competing interests. I expect tomorrow someone is paying the players to get the game on midweek and to complete the fixtures. There will be winners and losers in all scenarios and the litigation won’t be done before August. Given damages could be the amount of parachute payments - the lost chance of playing in the premier league - or lost income from championship to League One.. I think it unthinkable at this stage Bolton will be allowed to not fulfill their fixtures. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Just highlights there are so many competing interests. I expect tomorrow someone is paying the players to get the game on midweek and to complete the fixtures. There will be winners and losers in all scenarios and the litigation won’t be done before August. Given damages could be the amount of parachute payments - the lost chance of playing in the premier league - or lost income from championship to League One.. I think it unthinkable at this stage Bolton will be allowed to not fulfill their fixtures. 

Two games to go  3-0’s awarded to the opposing teams which won’t effect either end of the table is the only way out as far as I can see it.  Then start them again as a Phoenix club, as long as they find an owner the fans will stick behind on the way back up they’ll be able to ‘buy’ the lower league titles.  What a mess.

4 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I feel sorry for the Bolton fans big time.No fault of theirs 

I can remember the dark days of 1980-82 and the relief of the Fulham game that I (we)had a club to support. 

I attended what was supposed to be our last game it was at Newport county. the date was 30th January 1982, less than a week later the Ashton Gate eight tore up their contracts to save the club.

Archived