IGNORED

Bolton Wanderers (Merged)

Lrrr

48 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

A European Super League is a very interesting point.

I just don't imagine the current top flight TV deal is worth anything like it is at the moment if the top 6 were to leave.

Could we see a huge amount of money leave the domestic game?

Hopefully

16 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I wonder how they came up with 1-0? It used to be the case that an unfulfilled fixture resulted in a 3-0 win to the opposition. 

They seemed to have made up the rules off the cuff. As said this new ruling sets a dangerous precedence, it just couldn't be applied if to-morrows fixtures, or similar were so dependent on 3 points. If a club fails to fulfill a fixture in these circumstances or similar it cannot be settled this way. Sanctions should be taken against the Club that sees them kicked out of the football league, the game should have been null and void instead of imagining a score. Brentford and Bolton have not played 45 matches, and I feel my OCD is playing up.  ?

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wealthy businessmen wanting a hobby and public adulation in their later years will always be with us. 

Gretna is the best example I've seen.  Obscure non-league Scottish village club (not Gretna Green - that's a bigger team) is selected by wealthy businessman Brookes Mileson in 2002 after a rare promotion into the Scottish league to fulfill his footballing dreams.

Reaches the SPL in 2007/08, owner falls seriously ill and withdraws his financial support, club liquidated in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretna_F.C.

There are literally thousands of these village clubs and I am sure that there is a new Gretna team as there is already a new Gateshead team - Gateshead Soul.

This is why Steve Lansdown keeps talking about financial sustainability.  It's not mere rhetoric.

Remember Colne Dynamos?

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

A European Super League is a very interesting point.

I just don't imagine the current top flight TV deal is worth anything like it is at the moment if the top 6 were to leave.

Could we see a huge amount of money leave the domestic game?

We already have a European super league! It’s called The Champions league it been going for a  long time! The top Clubs are in a position where they they get shitloads of money from playing in the domestic league and Europe to a position where the drop a shit load of money just to play in Europe! Makes no sense

1 minute ago, hail gus cesaer said:

We already have a European super league! It’s called The Champions league it been going for a  long time! The top Clubs are in a position where they they get shitloads of money from playing in the domestic league and Europe to a position where the drop a shit load of money just to play in Europe! Makes no sense

No it is not a European Super League but the Champions League as you rightly point out. A European Super League will pitch teams throughout Europe on a week in week out basis which is much different to the Champions League. It is the future and has already been discussed on many many occasions. It will happen.

56 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

They seemed to have made up the rules off the cuff. As said this new ruling sets a dangerous precedence, it just couldn't be applied if to-morrows fixtures, or similar were so dependent on 3 points. If a club fails to fulfill a fixture in these circumstances or similar it cannot be settled this way. Sanctions should be taken against the Club that sees them kicked out of the football league, the game should have been null and void instead of imagining a score. Brentford and Bolton have not played 45 matches, and I feel my OCD is playing up.  ?

Far be it from me to defend the EFL but they have just applied the rules that were voted for by the clubs.

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

No it is not a European Super League but the Champions League as you rightly point out. A European Super League will pitch teams throughout Europe on a week in week out basis which is much different to the Champions League. It is the future and has already been discussed on many many occasions. It will happen.

Is this the same tournament that LJ said we'd be playing in imminently?

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

A bit of a misnomer driven by money so an ironic name in itself- how often do Champions of their domestic Leagues actually reach the latter stage?

What with the money dominance of the modern game and this, I hope Ajax win it this year.

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Don’t think it will certainly not in the near future! If you earning 100m a year for your domestic competition  and 20m for European competition your not going to drop the domestic competition because it’s the future!

Until the day the European competition earns double the domestic vastly outweighs the domestic in terms of competing money it won’t happen!

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A bit of a misnomer driven by money so an ironic name in itself- how often do Champions of their domestic Leagues actually reach the latter stage?

What with the money dominance of the modern game and this, I hope Ajax win it this year.

A super league and the Champions league will be 2 different entities

20 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Until the day the European competition earns double the domestic vastly outweighs the domestic in terms of competing money it won’t happen!

But it WILL happen and is already under discussion. They wouldn't be having the discussion if the pay day was less than they receive now.

29 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Don’t think it will certainly not in the near future! If you earning 100m a year for your domestic competition  and 20m for European competition your not going to drop the domestic competition because it’s the future!

And that is exactly the point Tone is making.

If you took the top 20 European clubs, and had a season long league....

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ironically, Ajax did not win the league last year...

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And that is exactly the point Tone is making.

If you took the top 20 European clubs, and had a season long league....

I get it but to generate interest their needs to be excitement there’s no excitement if 20 teams play a season no relegation I’m assuming because They won’t allow Real Madrid to get relegated where maybe 4 (at the very max) are going to the title and 16 teams are doing what making up space! 

The only way I see it working is if you have maybe a group stage followed by an knockout stage to keep things interesting (but we already have that!

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Remember Colne Dynamos?

Indeed. They were probably the first real lower league club that tried to buy their way to the top preceding the likes of Boston and Rushden.

It didn`t take long to all end in tears though amidst allegations of financial shenanigans and death threats to the owner/manager Graham White. I remember 442 doing a big feature on them back in the early nineties and it seemed they were really going places.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Indeed. They were probably the first real lower league club that tried to buy their way to the top preceding the likes of Boston and Rushden.

It didn`t take long to all end in tears though amidst allegations of financial shenanigans and death threats to the owner/manager Graham White. I remember 442 doing a big feature on them back in the early nineties and it seemed they were really going places.

I think their owner shut them down when they weren't allowed to be promoted, due to their ground?

Do we necessarily think administration is the end of this? They’ve been in serious strife for some time, nobody seems to want to buy and they’ve not fulfilled fixtures.

This feels more like liquidation to me. I’m not sure when the deadline is for the league to confirm they’re happy Bolton can fulfil fixtures/be admitted (something about a Golden Share), but I don’t see this being resolved soon.

Put it this way - I wouldn’t be surprised to see Notts County play league football next season after all.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Do we necessarily think administration is the end of this? They’ve been in serious strife for some time, nobody seems to want to buy and they’ve not fulfilled fixtures.

This feels more like liquidation to me. I’m not sure when the deadline is for the league to confirm they’re happy Bolton can fulfil fixtures/be admitted (something about a Golden Share), but I don’t see this being resolved soon.

Put it this way - I wouldn’t be surprised to see Notts County play league football next season after all.

I'd almost feel bad for Forest fans if that happened.

No love or dislike towards Forest, but for their fans this is their NLBR moment, just just imagine if that had been taken from us.

However, I'd be happier seeing the oldest football league side keep their place.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good shout....Yeovil would be kicking themselves.

needs to be resolved quickly

Archived