Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Pezo

What to do

Recommended Posts

So my first child was supposed to be born on Wednesday and isn't here yet.

My intention is to attend the game tomorrow unless she starts to go into labor. 

If she goes into labor tonight then the baby might be born before, is it OK to go to football in this scenario? Obviously can't go if she is in labor (apparently). 

What would you do?

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll never get back to America in time, I just hope, for your sake, that she goes into labour. Good luck, but just remember, she's right and you're wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big elastic band to keep her legs together should see you safely through to the end of the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife gave birth early on a Saturday morning 12 years ago . I went to football on the afternoon and we beat Yeovil 2-0 . Best day of my life. And having the child was alright as well  :laughcont:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So my first child was supposed to be born on Wednesday and isn't here yet.

My intention is to attend the game tomorrow unless she starts to go into labor. 

If she goes into labor tonight then the baby might be born before, is it OK to go to football in this scenario? Obviously can't go if she is in labor (apparently). 

What would you do?

If your child is born before KO tomorrow, I would go to the game.

It is very very important that mother and child ‘bond’ in the first hours after birth.......

You sticking around would jeopardize that, best you leave them to it.

On the other hand if your child has not been born before you head off to the game......then go anyway.

Turn your phone off and, with a bit of luck, you will be in the Dolman so if there are any announcements over the tannoy asking you to go and find the nearest steward you won’t hear it anyway!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Birth of your 1st child is unique. If you go to the game make sure you have your getaway planned.

But how often do we play Derby with 3 games left to go and we're 1 point off the playoffs in an almost playoff deciding game. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Birth of your 1st child is unique. If you go to the game make sure you have your getaway planned.

Going for a (very long) cigarette?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember being at a game at AG years ago, before the days of everyone owning a mobile phone, when the tannoy announced "Would xxxxx please return home immediately, your wife has gone into labour ". Cue much cheering from the crowd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You can always have another kid, but getting into the playoffs may not happen again

A little more optimism please regarding our club. But you can only have your 1st child once.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A big elastic band to keep her legs together should see you safely through to the end of the game.

Would have been better to have done that nine months ago, surely?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City match will be live on Radio Bristol, the goal highlights will be available within a few minutes of the game finishing and a detailed match report will be available from a number of sources. On OTIB we’ll be rating, for days to come, the performances of everyone involved. 

Unless you’ve made equivalent arrangements with the media, you’re best to stay with your wife and newborn child. If you have made broadcast arrangements please send us the link so that we can assess the performance of the midwife. 

(Good luck to the three of you)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pezo said:

So my first child was supposed to be born on Wednesday and isn't here yet.

My intention is to attend the game tomorrow unless she starts to go into labor. 

If she goes into labor tonight then the baby might be born before, is it OK to go to football in this scenario? Obviously can't go if she is in labor (apparently). 

What would you do?

You’ll probably be fine,my two kids were around a week or so late which is common so i’m led to believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a once in a lifetime experience I’m afraid and one of those things you cannot take any chances you might miss..... i mean we could make the premier league!! 

Good luck to all 3 of you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Would have been better to have done that nine months ago, surely?

A smaller elastic band on a different part of his anatomy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless she’s actively in labour, go to the game. First babies generally take ages to arrive, and so should she go into labour, you’ll have plenty of time to get to her, should you need to leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First ones are generally late. I'm still amazed how they work out the due date. But you have 1 job to do really and that is to get her to the hospital. So make sure she is waiting in the car outside the ground just in case.... 

Edited by Snufflelufagus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pezo said:

...If she goes into labor tonight then the baby might be born before, is it OK to go to football in this scenario? Obviously can't go if she is in labor (apparently). 

What would you do?

Sure, if she feels up to it...she might enjoy the match.

(...best wishes and hope everything goes well).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest was born on 26th August 1996. The following night we had a Tuesday night match at home v Luton. I did the right thing and visited the BMH , taking my eldest son to see his mum and for the first time his newborn brother. Thus I missed the debut of Greg Goodridge. I missed him scoring twice. I missed further goals from Goater, Nugent and a bloke named Cundy (whom I can’t at all remember). I missed a 5-0 home win.

22 years later, I’m nearly over it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my daughter was born, we were home to QPR. Wife went in labour early Saturday am so knew couldn’t make the game.

In the hospital, things started getting a bit fraught about 3pm. Losing babies heartbeat etc. Major worry. After an emergency call, they scrubbed up and we had an emergency c-section at about half four.

Wife gave birth to a tiny (4lb) baby. As the doctor placed her on the wife’s chest he leaned over to me and whispered (1-1...Dele Adebola).

God bless the NHS

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Pay one of the nurses £20 to tell you in front of the mrs that visiting hours end at 2pm and start again at 6pm.

Gert big signs everywhere these days stating that partners are allowed in whenever, just the rest of the family that have restricted times. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Gert big signs everywhere these days stating that partners are allowed in whenever, just the rest of the family that have restricted times. ;) 

Good point. Ok, pay the same amount to tell the mrs that you’ve done something slightly naughty (your choice what) and need time out from the hospital of 3-4 hours 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter was born on Tuesday, and now I get two weeks maternity so will get at least to witness the end of season, all be it on streams etc, but so glad as I do shift work and would of been in for Saturdays game. But I love the city but wouldn't miss that experience for a football match, enjoy it, one of best experiences ever. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar dilemma - getting married tomorrow so clearly one has to prioritise - I' ve got a Heineken Lounge hospitality ticket as well.....so if anyone wants to take my place they're welcome ...pm me

It's at St. Mary's Church Thornbury 2pm and her name's Heather.

  • Haha 7
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floralrobin said:

I was born just after 3pm on a Saturday in 1974 Bristol City 2 Southampton 0. Always proud that my dad was at the game that day and rang from a phone box at half time!

That match was my first ever time watching City!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

My wife gave birth early on a Saturday morning 12 years ago . I went to football on the afternoon and we beat Yeovil 2-0 . Best day of my life. And having the child was alright as well  :laughcont:

Didn’t LJ score for us that day? I seem to remember him notching .... and I also remember a bloody big crowd turned up as well - between 19k and 20k? .... glad the best day of your life was a good one mate! 

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My youngest was born on 26th August 1996. The following night we had a Tuesday night match at home v Luton. I did the right thing and visited the BMH , taking my eldest son to see his mum and for the first time his newborn brother. Thus I missed the debut of Greg Goodridge. I missed him scoring twice. I missed further goals from Goater, Nugent and a bloke named Cundy (whom I can’t at all remember). I missed a 5-0 home win.

22 years later, I’m nearly over it. 

I too did the right thing on the day of my eldest sons birth and missed the 6-0 drubbing of Bolton. 

The night before my younger son was born we played away to Man City. His birth did not seem to be as lucky for City as his brothers. 

I guess I'll only have to buy one season ticket.

Edited by Chris_Brown
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

I have a similar dilemma - getting married tomorrow so clearly one has to prioritise - I' ve got a Heineken Lounge hospitality ticket as well.....so if anyone wants to take my place they're welcome ...pm me

It's at St. Mary's Church Thornbury 2pm and her name's Heather.

Ah gutted, I'll be down the football. Sorry 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pezo said:

So my first child was supposed to be born on Wednesday and isn't here yet.

My intention is to attend the game tomorrow unless she starts to go into labor. 

If she goes into labor tonight then the baby might be born before, is it OK to go to football in this scenario? Obviously can't go if she is in labor (apparently). 

What would you do?

What would I do ?

Family first mate.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Remember being at a game at AG years ago, before the days of everyone owning a mobile phone, when the tannoy announced "Would xxxxx please return home immediately, your wife has gone into labour ". Cue much cheering from the crowd. 

Used to happen all the time.

Men weren't expected to be present at the birth until relatively recently - in fact quite the opposite, traditionally they were encouraged to keep well away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Unless she’s actively in labour, go to the game. First babies generally take ages to arrive, and so should she go into labour, you’ll have plenty of time to get to her, should you need to leave. 

This. Once her waters break, you’ll still probably be hours away from birth. 

My Ex picked me up from the Rising Sun after her waters broke, on a match day. She insisted!

we didn’t even head off to the hospital until the early hours of the morning. 

It’s usually a long process and you’ll have plenty of notice once the first signs appear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The City match will be live on Radio Bristol, the goal highlights will be available within a few minutes of the game finishing and a detailed match report will be available from a number of sources. On OTIB we’ll be rating, for days to come, the performances of everyone involved. 

Unless you’ve made equivalent arrangements with the media, you’re best to stay with your wife and newborn child. If you have made broadcast arrangements please send us the link so that we can assess the performance of the midwife. 

(Good luck to the three of you)

Rudolf..... the question is....... ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

 .... and I also remember a bloody big crowd turned up as well - between 19k and 20k? 

Just to clarify, was the big crowd at the game or the birth?!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and who remembers the times before mobile phones

WHEN the game was in play

P/A blows into the mouth peice

saying

Will Mister Ashton please go home

your wife(no partners then)

has just given birth

Not sure why they said go home

I thought it would have been better to go to the hospital

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

Ahh congratulations! Better get down the shop and get him a red one.

Any names yet? Or does that depend on who scores/get sent off this afternoon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

A suitable receptacle for baby`s first poo?

Congratulations to you and yours mate, let`s hope the lads can make it a doubly great day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

Congratulations. Fantastic day for your family regardless of football. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

Congrats. Hope mum and baby are ok. I also hope you took that hat off pronto! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All a moot point now - baby born this morning. Everyone is healthy. I need some sleep before football. 

 

They put a bloody blue hat on him! 

Congratulations. Your life will now change forever. And for the better.

Toby was born 15 years ago on Tuesday. A day that is with me every day. Never in a million years did I think then that he’d be my wingman today, eager to bait Scott Carson 😃.

Me and his mum are no longer married so he’ll be blowing out candles on Tuesday. Shame as he really wants to come to Millwall.

Enjoy your time together! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t LJ score for us that day? I seem to remember him notching .... and I also remember a bloody big crowd turned up as well - between 19k and 20k? .... glad the best day of your life was a good one mate! 

https://www.11v11.com/matches/bristol-city-v-yeovil-town-14-april-2007-277560/

Great memory. Well I suppose I remembered the date .  :laughcont:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...