IGNORED

Bristol City v Frank Lampard's Derby County Match Day 44

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I have no doubt we wanted him and tried to get him but as I say I just don't see Steve Gibson being daft enough to agree to it.

Imagine the uproar from already disgruntled Boro fans if had scored the goals to get us promoted at their expense.

If KITR was right though, then...I agree would have been ludicrous from Middlesbrough perspective.

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

This may sound like sour grapes, but Derby deserved nothing today. They are crap and have absolutely no chance in the playoffs.

At least the football league and $ky will get the teams they want in the top six. Bunch of **************s.

CTID

But they deserve to go up because they used to be good decades ago and their manager is famous and stuff.

Gutted. Fine margins I guess.

On the positive note we're not far off being a very very good side in this division. Couple of additions in the summer and I think we're in for an even more enjoyable season next time around. Credit to the players for the effort in todays game. 9 out of 10 times we win that by a distance!

I'm gonna cheer myself up by laying FLDC on Betfair in the play off's.........as there is no way that they'll overcome the other three contenders, unless of course they are a team who have massive slices of luck.................hold on a minute ??

Tough one to take today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team dominate a game like that and lose! Gutted with the decisions against us in the recent games against play off rivals too. Bloody harsh.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Over the season, we were not good enough. LJ stumbled upon an approach that arrested an alarmingly awful run of form in September and October. It was stable and players worked it. We are near the top of the non parachute payment clubs in terms of what we spend, and have done ok. Leeds and Sheffield United are the benchmark as they have similar (or worse) resources, so to be top ten is not bad. We are always going to suffer vs the parachute clubs, the gulf is ridiculous (and is wrong in principle) but we have done ok. You have to hope lJ has improved again and will eventually get there , but the extra quality we are missing is very hard to find within the constraints. Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United were all below us at the end of last season. That is the real pause for thought.

I know we all want the Prem, but it is not going to happen anytime soon with the constraints  and approach we have, though being a good solid Champ side is a better place than we have been over the last 30 years. So.. it depends how you look at it. 

Leeds had a turnover of about£40m last season, some estimates of £45m for this...Sheffield United, absolutely similar resources. Leeds? Nope.

3 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Our club will just tread water until we fall through the trap door like teams like Wigan and Rotherham and Millwall the championship doesn't want teams like us

Oh right.

I guess five seasons of consecutive improvement must be really inconvenient to your baseless arguments.

If, before the season started, i'd been asked if i wanted to punch short-sighted muppets who have no idea that people's expectations change as the season progresses, i would have said "no."

I hate that cliche with a passion, and hate that we've folded up again. But i'm going to Hull anyway and right now I'd rather make the schlep without the lingering dread that we might just scrape into 6th. But at 5am a week tomorrow, who knows?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Beat them 3 of 4 times since they came up...

Indeed, LJ has been innovative in countering their unique system.

However, despite coming across a bit old school Wilder has proved to be more innovative than LJ. He designed a unique system, recruited and coached accordingly and stuck to it, while LJ keeps changing things. He could learn from Wilder perhaps. I still have no idea what LJ's plan is.

I was reading a piece about Bielsa today and he seems impressed with Wilder. In fact he said he tried to do the same as him but couldn't make it work.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Indeed, LJ has been innovative in countering their unique system.

However, despite coming across a bit old school Wilder has proved to be more innovative than LJ. He designed a unique system, recruited and coached accordingly and stuck to it, while LJ keeps changing things. He could learn from Wilder perhaps. I still have no idea what LJ's plan is.

I was reading a piece about Bielsa today and he seems impressed with Wilder. In fact he said he tried to do the same as him but couldn't make it work.

Sheff utd have had a strike force that can score goals where as we we have struggled to score goals all season especially at home 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Over the season, we were not good enough. LJ stumbled upon an approach that arrested an alarmingly awful run of form in September and October. It was stable and players worked it. We are near the top of the non parachute payment clubs in terms of what we spend, and have done ok. Leeds and Sheffield United are the benchmark as they have similar (or worse) resources, so to be top ten is not bad. We are always going to suffer vs the parachute clubs, the gulf is ridiculous (and is wrong in principle) but we have done ok. You have to hope lJ has improved again and will eventually get there , but the extra quality we are missing is very hard to find within the constraints. Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United were all below us at the end of last season. That is the real pause for thought.

I know we all want the Prem, but it is not going to happen anytime soon with the constraints  and approach we have, though being a good solid Champ side is a better place than we have been over the last 30 years. So.. it depends how you look at it. 

Is there any point in being satisfied with being a good solid Champ side?  How long before crowds diminish, before all but the hardcore fans become disillusioned with being average, or even just above average.  Personally I’d rather not compete in something if I didn’t think I could win, likewise with watching sport, football is a little different for those who turn up to watch the team regardless, as there is a core at every club, proven by our lows after 82’, but there was always that belief we’d recover and hope for the next season.

If money is going to keep us frustratingly just out of contention every season (I blame the totally unfair parachute payment system), unless we happen to stumble on an academy class of xx, does that satisfy the fan base?  For some I’m sure it would, but for those looking for success and progression, how long will they put up with failing to get over the line.

14 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Sheff utd have had a strike force that can score goals where as we we have struggled to score goals all season especially at home 

It certainly helps to have a Billy Sharp. And of course when we were linked with McGoldrick he was immediately declared not good enough for us on this forum.

You still have to have a system that works in both attack and defence, home and away, though and recruit and coach players to make it work. Maupay scores lots of goals but Brentford are not where Sheff U are, for instance. Or where we are in fact.

Wilder is clear and consistent about what he wants, not something I would say about LJ.

1 hour ago, keflav said:

They got better players than us at the club by miles, we full of mediocrity...

I read the other day they signed norwood in midfield for 2 million, which is the sort of money we paid for eisa,,, anyone could see that a good establised championship midfielder is exactly what we have been crying out for, but they signed him, and are probably going up.

they have sharp mcgoldrick and hogan competing for striker spots, our options dont compare with that, they sold their top young player last year for good money, like we did, but brought in proven quality, we have wasted fortunes on the wrong players, and havent addressed problem areas, they are well run and totally committed.

10 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I read the other day they signed norwood in midfield for 2 million, which is the sort of money we paid for eisa,,, anyone could see that a good establised championship midfielder is exactly what we have been crying out for, but they signed him, and are probably going up.

they have sharp mcgoldrick and hogan competing for striker spots, our options dont compare with that, they sold their top young player last year for good money, like we did, but brought in proven quality, we have wasted fortunes on the wrong players, and havent addressed problem areas, they are well run and totally committed.

They had more wriggle room than us but agree with a decent chunk of what you write.

Norwood v Eisa a great example.

I thought we were a bit unlucky today. The players worked their socks off but it was just one of those games where things went against us. Derby got the first goal with that deflection (their first shot?) and then there was the sending off, after which there was a spell when it looked like we’d score but just lacked that quality. I haven’t seen the replay but the red card looked harsh from where I was sitting in the South Stand. The 2nd goal killed the game. 

Based on what I saw today Derby looked very average, which makes it even more frustrating. 

Archived