IGNORED

First thing Johnson needs to do

Alan Dicks

• Admin

I did used to enjoy watching us on the big pitch, which at one time IIRC was one of the biggest in the league.  The narrow pitch stifles the game and forces everything through the middle, I know this is the modern way, but I’d prefer to go back in time on this one.

6 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Kamara was saying the pitch is huge and suits teams who sit back and counter. 

First thing is to get rid of Diedhiou and get a striker in 

Diedhiou is fine as supplementing striker. Need a goal scorer too. If we have to sell Fam to finance another striker we will never get out of the championship

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Diedhiou is fine as supplementing striker. Need a goal scorer too. If we have to sell Fam to finance another striker we will never get out of the championship

Providing we keep playing 2 up top but I don't really see him as being good enough for that role. Too many poor touches and poor in the air to be a link up 

10 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Providing we keep playing 2 up top but I don't really see him as being good enough for that role. Too many poor touches and poor in the air to be a link up 

It is ok to have two good strikers even playing 1 up top. Fam is a better bench option than Taylor. If we are going to have multiple 5m plus players I’d hope it would be strikers. Plus gives flexibility for certain games. We could easily buy another striker and play him 40 times while getting Fam significant minutes in cups, off bench and starts be it to rest a player or play him in a strike pairing

One thing is for sure, and the only positive from today, is that we need to play all our home games that way. You will get the odd loss from good countering sides like today but play like that and add a goal scorer and our home form I think would be much better

Also he needs to stop with the reactive subs. Make the necessary changes when you see the weaknesses. Personally thought Eliasson needed to replace Weimann or Paterson 10 min before the goal. Weimann looked really clumsy all game. Paterson thought was good but not played in ages and thought that was evident after an hour

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Also he needs to stop with the reactive subs. Make the necessary changes when you see the weaknesses. Personally thought Eliasson needed to replace Weimann or Paterson 10 min before the goal. Weimann looked really clumsy all game. Paterson thought was good but not played in ages and thought that was evident after an hour

Good call today  Joe, though over the season he's got plenty right too. Weimann and Paterson could have come off earlier. Surprised Palmer didnt come on and not Semenyo. Good foundations but not for the first time found wanting in the final third. Thats where we're not good enough and that's where we need improvement. I like Fammy, holds the ball up well, but deep. If he's not in the box, he can't score. Strikers! More than one please Steve. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Johnson ballsed up massively in my opinion. Left Eliasson - one of the Championship's best players in my opinion - on the bench, and picked Paterson, who couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo, and Semenyo who is naive and hardly Championship quality. 

59 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Lee is not up to the level required to get us up

Give LJ a break, he's still very young in management terms. He has made mistakes, but as long as he learns from them and facilitates the changes and addtions the squad requires, I have every confidence for next season.  He is smart enough to know where are weakness's  exsist, and with his excellent contacts to bring in loans [Kalas, Da Silva, Palmer] and a realistic transfer budget to recruit a goal poacher etc, I think we will be top six IMHO.

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Johnson ballsed up massively in my opinion. Left Eliasson - one of the Championship's best players in my opinion - on the bench, and picked Paterson, who couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo, and Semenyo who is naive and hardly Championship quality. 

Sorry but Paterson was excellent 

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Spot on mate   

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Pato was really good today so not sure what you were watching. Semenyo also looked decent for the time he was on

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Give LJ a break, he's still very young in management terms. He has made mistakes, but as long as he learns from them and facilitates the changes and addtions the squad requires, I have every confidence for next season.  He is smart enough to know where are weakness's  exsist, and with his excellent contacts to bring in loans [Kalas, Da Silva, Palmer] and a realistic transfer budget to recruit a goal poacher etc, I think we will be top six IMHO.

Yes young but over 300 games managed isn't inexperienced and still makes a lot of mistakes with players and formation. Done well getting defense right this season but can he keep them or recruit as well if they don't sign. Getting a goal scorer will be the biggest challenge for him as there's been a fair few poor signings in that position. 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Pato was really good today so not sure what you were watching. Semenyo also looked decent for the time he was on

Pato had some nice touches but he has no end product. I thought the reason footballers earn so much more than the rest of us is because they are better at those kind of things than us. I literally would've been as effective as Paterson in front of goal today.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

For next season is widen the pitch.

Pitch far to narrow this season thats why away teams have found it easy to contain us and why we havn't been able to play high press flowing football.

Bristol City do not play with a high press. Bristol City very frequently play from a midfield block.

A narrower pitch makes it easier to play a high pressing game as there is less space to control.

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Pato had some nice touches but he has no end product. I thought the reason footballers earn so much more than the rest of us is because they are better at those kind of things than us. I literally would've been as effective as Paterson in front of goal today.

No, you ‘literally’ wouldn’t. 

Archived