IGNORED

Was this LJ’s equivalent to Cotts’ 5 subs moment?

Fordy62

Remember when Cotts put 5 on the bench to make some sort of point to Lansdown?

Well, Baker went off injured and LJ chose to replace him with Semenyo - a lad it’s been widely rumoured LJ was forced to bring back by Lansdown rather than splash the cash on a ready made striker in January. 

Fast forward to this afternoon. Baker off injured (surely he must leave?) and LJ has a big decision to make. Who does he bring on? Kasey Palmer - tried and tested spark and creativity. Eliasson - in good form - best crosser we have. Or compete wild card - Semenyo. 

Was a “this is your player Steve. Your call. Your fault, we should have strengthened in january” moment? Or not?

Probably not. But I do like a conspiracy theory. 

It's not but it definitely works out that way. I don't think LJ is immature enough to do something like that deliberately. 

Steve can tweet his disappointment again if he likes, but if we had that striker investment in the last year and a half then it's likely we'd have done better. We're so close and it's SLs choice if he wants to gradually increase spending or go for it.

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Well, Baker went off injured and LJ chose to replace him with Semenyo - a lad it’s been widely rumoured LJ was forced to bring back by Lansdown rather than splash the cash on a ready made striker in January. 

Fast forward to this afternoon. Baker off injured (surely he must leave?) and LJ has a big decision to make. Who does he bring on? Kasey Palmer - tried and tested spark and creativity. Eliasson - in good form - best crosser we have. Or compete wild card - Semenyo. 

Was a “this is your player Steve. Your call. Your fault, we should have strengthened in january” moment? Or not?

It's possible Fordy and I do like a conspiracy theory too!

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It did cross my mind, because the only other reson for picking him ahead of Eliasson was tgat he must have smashed it in training. Eliasson and Palmer should have got 35 minutes at least today

I thought Semenyo looked decent enough for this standard when he came on given how much game time he's had at this level. The other option was Taylor but over the season how much has he scored.... Eliasson could have come on but with 2 wider 10's Weimann seemed the more logical choice and therefore a striker to come on.

Ummm. No.

When Baker went down, my first thought was “don’t bring on Wright or Kelly” as Derby we’re sitting in so the choice needed to be an attacking one. Palmer wasn’t an option at that stage as he’d take Paterson’s space, and we know LJ prefers Taylor as an impact sub which it was too early for. Choice then was between Semenyo and Eliasson. No problems with the choice made, and before the red card, was looking good.

In short, it was a fair call and before the SO had every chance of working. God knows why people think LJ is likely to deliberately balls up a six pointer to make a point to Lansdown, but those people need to get the tinfoil off their head and get out more!

Perhaps AS has shown more than Palmer and Eliasson defensively in training? An ability to sit in the middle and track?

Palmer succeeds in flashes - if we levelled up and then lost to a late Derby chance because of him failing to challenge the opponent for possession (although step forward Fam for that today) ... people would be pissed. 

It made no sense at all - last week we replaced like for like with Walsh.

Either he believed in his formation or not they must have been working on that in training why change so soon?

Also we’ve proven over 40 games Weimann is more effective in the centre so why push him to the wing when you have a winger in good form.

I didn't understand it then and still dont

I thought that bringing on Semenyo was an odd decision. In such a crucial game, with plenty of time left (so hardly a last throw of the dice),  I would have thought if bringing on another striker the more experienced Taylor would have been the obvious choice. 

Semenyo was making a difference and had Derby scared until he was wrongly dismissed. 

The decision was a brave one to bring him on but it was right. He changed the game positively until he was harshly removed. 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

It was all too late by then. None of their team mates could run by then. 0-2 and the game was up whatever happened.

It didn’t look as though Palmer could run either! He just didn’t do enough for me. I wouldn’t have taken Paterson off but perhaps he was knackered as he has been injured recently. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Semenyo was making a difference and had Derby scared until he was wrongly dismissed. 

The decision was a brave one to bring him on but it was right. He changed the game positively until he was harshly removed. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Semenyo changed the game when coming on against Preston. He came on against Wednesday and looked good. LJ even said he was impressed with his performance. So LJ probably thought he would play well again.

And I think he did play well before the sending off. Great feint and shot first half that was really travelling that could well have gone in had their defender not put in an amazing block.

He had a first time shot saved that was a decent effort on his left foot. He won a couple of tackles, and had some nice touches.

He is clearly an exceptional talent for his age. I agreed with him being brought on and thought we improved as a team when he did.

Thought he did ok today, in and out.

I do see some real talent though (i’m sure we all do), and boy, is he a unit too.  He needs a pre-season with the first team, not just fitness, but friendlies too.  He needs to get used to his teammates, the style of play.

He could save us millions.  This experience and brief game time since January will help.

I want us to play two up top next season, and I see Antoine being a regular feature in the 18, and to make a contribution from start or bench.  If we play one, his opportunities will be much less.

Archived