IGNORED

Where do we go from here

joe jordans teeth

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

SL demands progress every season he has said so I’m guessing he’s going to give lee a big budget to work with come the summer because he’s demanding playoffs at the least and dispite my reservations about lee you can’t say he’s not doing his job

Well this season isn't necessarily progress is it?

We could still finish on the same points as last season and only a position or two ahead. Our form and performance levels has been very similar. 

I think we all know we need firepower and leadership and that costs money.

We also need Kalas and DaSilva, who also cost money. 

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

SL demands progress every season he has said so I’m guessing he’s going to give lee a big budget to work with come the summer because he’s demanding playoffs at the least and dispite my reservations about lee you can’t say he’s not doing his job

We have a better team than last season and have progressed. 3-4 new players and hopefully progress again.

Ive loved this season 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Since the promotion back to this division, City have actually improved.

2016 - W 13 Pts 52.  2017 W 15 Pts  54   2018 W 17 Pts 67   2019 (with 2 games still to play) W 18 Pts 66

Kalas, Palmer Dasilva go back

Fielding Pisano leave

Sell Taylor and O’Dowda

Then pressure to sell a couple of Webster, Brownhill, Diedhiou and Kelly. Sell at least two

Bring in 4 2-3m quid 25 year olds that can’t get into top 6 starting XIs and say we still have a good young core a year more experienced while finishing 15th

I am very negative right now but I’d be surprised if we make a big splash this summer because just doesn’t seem Lansdown is interested in that. 

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

We need a manager

One that can lead and motivate. Johnson has grown again being a bit less streaky this season but still not answered the questions(my questions) about being a leader and motivator. Our home form is embarrassing too. 

Firstly we need to see a reaction in the last 2 games of the season. Mathematically we are not yet out of it, but realistically it's Derby's play-off place to lose.

This summer and next season are crunch time for Lansdown, Ashton and Johnson, assuming we are playing in the Championship. We need to keep our best players, including the loanees, plus we need top notch additions in midfield and up front. The club has to go for it next season given the 3 relegated teams will be Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff. There is only so long that you can keep "building" without actually achieving. Look at Wolves - they could be playing in the Europa League next season!

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

One that can lead and motivate. Johnson has grown again being a bit less streaky this season but still not answered the questions(my questions) about being a leader and motivator. Our home form is embarrassing too. 

How can he lead anything when you have smarmy mark ashton overlooking him who makes the signings and unless you go along with the impression all footballers are idiots then they know themselves that January was the time when they needed boosting 

Jesus.

Johnson has worked wonders with a squad that is lightweight for this division. I'm not a massive fan of the guy, but resources to achievement we have punched above our weight.

We've uncovered some rough diamonds with our youth transfer policy. We'll look for 3-4 again in the summer.

We need a quality spine. Webster & Kalas. A new CM and a goalscorer. We were short 15 goals this season.

We won't go moggy like Wolves - if they didn't go up they would have been in serious dwang with FFP.

In short, a bit more of the same. Football is rigged toward the established, big clubs. 

While it feels like we've bottled it a bit this season, we've made some serious progress, and for the first time in about a decade we've looked like a side that could challenge for the playoffs. When we look back on this season, considering who we've lost, I think we can be proud of the squad and the manager. Frankly, you're a ******* idiot if you think LJ hasn't done a good job this season, and you're asking for too much from a club that (for whichever reason) can't/won't spend.

With that being said, the next transfer window is key, and I feel that many of you are right on lacking the mentality. It's great to have a young squad, but the older heads that are here need to be the sort that have tasted success at this level, and know what it takes to win promotion.

There are a few names being thrown around of who to sell, and I largely agree, but I would exercise caution in having a heavy upheaval. I think we need to buy smart, ensuring we replace fringe players with first-team players, locking down any of our loanees that wish to remain (and aren't going to break the bank), and adding one or two players that "know" promotion.

My one, main criticism of our transfer activity over the years is that we buy too many hopefuls. I like Wright and Pack, but I would consider spending some money on an experienced defender or midfielder that can help push the mentality of this club onwards.

My biggest disappointment is the fact that LJ abandonned the style of football that got us into the top six and suddenly seemed to think that we were Barcelona.

It was then that we started shipping goals and our strike force are not good enough to score three goals every week .

I believed that he understood that without the strikers he needed we had to pack out the midfield and play ‘ attritional ‘ football to compete with the big clubs whilst hoping that the players in the centre of the park would contribute more in the opposition box .

I think he was being too clever chopping and changing and it’s come back to haunt us .

We have played some lovely football lately but where has it got us ? 

I congratulate the staff and the squad for their mighty efforts this season but it looks like we will miss out on the top six .

Where do we go from here?

Stop saying "Yes, but look at where we've come from". We've been close for a while now, need to finish the job.

Fight like mad to get Kalas, Palmer and Da Silva on our books

An incisive, attacking midfielder (if Palmer is not it)

2 new strikers (not back up for Famara, he is the back up)

More points at home, be more attack minded especially against lowly teams please

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

My biggest disappointment is the fact that LJ abandonned the style of football that got us into the top six and suddenly seemed to think that we were Barcelona.

It was then that we started shipping goals and our strike force are not good enough to score three goals every week .

I believed that he understood that without the strikers he needed we had to pack out the midfield and play ‘ attritional ‘ football to compete with the big clubs whilst hoping that the players in the centre of the park would contribute more in the opposition box .

I think he was being too clever chopping and changing and it’s come back to haunt us .

I congratulate the staff and the squad for their mighty efforts this season but it looks like we will miss out on the top six .

Its an interesting point. Over the season Bristol City switched styles of football. Bristol City did use a conservative style of football at their most efficient but it was not attritional, it was not based on lots of deep defending and counter attack it. One of the fundamental blocks of that football was passing from safe possession in the first third and putting the ball into the box quickly in the last third whole maintaining a cautious shape . City regularly had a % or two more possession than the opposition. City's passing of the ball across the back was also defensive in nature by slowing the play down, keeping it well they can't score with it ...

By playing with 3/5 at the back Mr Johnson altered that balance leading to more goals conceded.

There is a success, a progress here if people want to see it. City can keep the ball, well, move it well and that ideal can be progressed further without massive investment. Teams have progressed to promotion by focussing on models of play where the methodology differs little through the season = They are single minded v being clever. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Sadly, I think we lose Webster, da Silva and Kalas. Palmer is the more likely to keep I’d say. The other two Chelsea lads will go to better teams than us. 

Another rebuild is on the cards. 

Palmer would need to get massive assurances of his role to sign under LJ.  Another LJ Club in the bag...this one with significant talent....who’s been left in the bag too often.

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its an interesting point. Over the season Bristol City switched styles of football. Bristol City did use a conservative style of football at their most efficient but it was not attritional, it was not based on lots of deep defending and counter attack it. One of the fundamental blocks of that football was passing from safe possession in the first third and putting the ball into then box quickly in the last third. City regularly had a % or two more possession  than the opposition. City's passing of the ball across the back was also defensive in nature by slowing the play down, keeping it well they can't score with it ...

By playing with 3/5 at the back Mr Johnson altered that balance leading to more goals conceded.

There is a success, a progress here if people want to see it. City can keep the ball, well, move it well and that ideal can be progressed further without massive investment. Teams have progressed to promotion by focussing on models of play were the methodology differs little through the season = They are single minded v being clever. 

Cowshed - do you think our results would’ve ended up much different if we had stuck to one system / style all season.  We’ve changed for specific reasons on occasions and then stick with it against the wrong teams.  I don’t think our players are clever enough to deal with multiple systems.  

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Palmer would need to get massive assurances of his role to sign under LJ.  Another LJ Club in the bag...this one with significant talent....who’s been left in the bag too often.

Cowshed - do you think our results would’ve ended up much different if we had stuck to one system / style all season.  We’ve changed for specific reasons on occasions and then stick with it against the wrong teams.  I don’t think our players are clever enough to deal with multiple systems.  

This is not meant to be a glib answer but if you approach recruitment, training, tactics in a differing manner results have to be different.

But you are answering your own question here … I don’t think our players are clever enough to deal with multiple systems. I would agree.

Another poster (Spike?) made a point that City's recent defensive problems can be linked to change in shape. I not only agree but would state if defensive shape is altered without significant time spent implementing that change error has to be the consequence. Bristol City switching to three at the back for instance is a significant change for pros far better equipped than the players Mr Johnson has. 

Bristol City have done well this season WITH experimentation, despite it. They can do even better without it. 

48 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This is spot on IMHO. I'm not sure why lately we abandoned the back 4 that served us so well for so much of the season. We did it for a reason v WBA and it worked, but partly through the surprise factor (and it only took WBA 45 minutes to work it out!

But why we then started with a back 5 v Reading and at Sheffield Weds seemed odd. And even when we realised the problem and switched it, we still left Webster in midfield (at least to start with). Don't get it. 

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

This is not meant to be a glib answer but if you approach recruitment, training, tactics in a differing manner results have to be different.

But you are answering your own question here … I don’t think our players are clever enough to deal with multiple systems. I would agree.

Another poster (Spike?) made a point that City's recent defensive problems can be linked to change in shape. I not only agree but would state if defensive shape is altered without significant time spent implementing that change error has to be the consequence. Bristol City switching to three at the back for instance is a significant change for pros far better equipped than the players Mr Johnson has. 

Bristol City have done well this season WITH experimentation, despite it. They can do even better without it. 

Not glib at all....very sensible.

Just been marvelling at the second half of Sheff Utd (one system), and now Norwich (one system).  Norwich, especially, it’s almost repetitive...I know where their players will be from watching on tv...their own players will know from doing it every day.

Archived