IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

Gazred

Thought he epitomised the performance today and underlined his YPOTY award.

Tackled, passed, pressed, drove us forward and got efforts on goal.

He's a real asset for us both financially and on the pitch

My MOM today.

12 minutes ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

One of the few who had a little left in the tank come 90 minutes.

Great young player. Well done this season, Josh

23 minutes ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

And I don't think he has reached anything like his full potential yet. Though he may need to move to a better team to do so.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Absolutely outstanding. I think he needs a better player alongside him to get the best out of him. Joe Williams would be ideal for next season alongside Josh.

Is this likely or has his injury ruled this out ?

Proper Rolls Royce of a midfielder every time I see him (which isn’t all that much any more).

Always gives 100%, pretty strong in all areas and a class act too. To his credit that he’s come from behind Pack to comfortably ahead of him and shown us that we probably need a better partner for him.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Proper Rolls Royce of a midfielder every time I see him (which isn’t all that much any more).

Always gives 100%, pretty strong in all areas and a class act too. To his credit that he’s come from behind Pack to comfortably ahead of him and shown us that we probably need a better partner for him.

Not a Rolls-Royce for me, but your second para re him overtaking Pack resonates with me, and I think we’ll see more if we could get someone else alongside him.  Sorry Marlon, I’m a bit down on you at the mo’ (you were decent today though), but I think the next step in our evolution is without you as the senior partner.  I do wonder how Josh would fit in with a properly firing and fit Korey.  Two energetic players in there is my wish.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not a Rolls-Royce for me, but your second para re him overtaking Pack resonates with me, and I think we’ll see more if we could get someone else alongside him.  Sorry Marlon, I’m a bit down on you at the mo’ (you were decent today though), but I think the next step in our evolution is without you as the senior partner.  I do wonder how Josh would fit in with a properly firing and fit Korey.  Two energetic players in there is my wish.

Surely two different player types Josh’s passing is nothing like that of Pack’s, he will never play the “quarterback “ role?

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely two different player types Josh’s passing is nothing like that of Pack’s, he will never play the “quarterback “ role?

I don’t want a quarter-back!!  Think MPs role has really constrained us at times at home this season.  It also constrains rotation of the midfield, flogging them, because “Marlon must play”.

But, yes, two different players.  Sometimes the player that got you to being a play-off contender, isn’t the one to kick you on to the next level.  That’s how I feel about MP at the moment...and fair play to him, coming from CTFC, coming from the CM who just gave away fouls, to the midfielder he’s become, improving year on year....until thus season....imho.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t want a quarter-back!!  Think MPs role has really constrained us at times at home this season.  It also constrains rotation of the midfield, flogging them, because “Marlon must play”.

But, yes, two different players.  Sometimes the player that got you to being a play-off contender, isn’t the one to kick you on to the next level.  That’s how I feel about MP at the moment...and fair play to him, coming from CTFC, coming from the CM who just gave away fouls, to the midfielder he’s become, improving year on year....until thus season....imho.

Ooh, personally I think that's a little harsh on Pack Dave.

Last season and for the majority of this one, he's been pretty consistent and central to the way LJ wants us to play. Guardiola talked about Marlon as a threat last season and if he's good enough for Pep....

Admittedly, he's been off the boil for a few weeks, but everything we do well pretty much starts with Pack. If he had a turn of pace he wouldnt be playing for us IMO and Marlons lack of form has coincided with our run of indifferent results. Coincidence? I've no idea, but it does give food for thought.

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Ooh, personally I think that's a little harsh on Pack Dave.

Last season and for the majority of this one, he's been pretty consistent and central to the way LJ wants us to play. Guardiola talked about Marlon as a threat last season and if he's good enough for Pep....

Admittedly, he's been off the boil for a few weeks, but everything we do well pretty much starts with Pack. If he had a turn of pace he wouldnt be playing for us IMO and Marlons lack of form has coincided with our run of indifferent results. Coincidence? I've no idea, but it does give food for thought.

Yeah, maybe....and I think he’s been flogged by LJ too.

I just think the way forward might be without him being the man it all evolves around.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, maybe....and I think he’s been flogged by LJ too.

I just think the way forward might be without him being the man it all evolves around.

Oh, totally agree Dave. We're far too reliant on Pack.

Personally, I would love to see Webster doing the Baresi role, Korey doing the Deschamps role and Palmer doing the Zidane thing. There would be a nice balance there and I think Palmer has a better attacking passing ability than Pack which would give the likes of Weimann the confidence to be found when he makes a decent run behind the defence.

At the moment we are getting restricted to long shots because we dont have the quickness of thought to see the small passes into gaps between the lines in the final third.  Kasey does this although he's a liability defensively.

Its a toss up between the more defensive Pack and the more attacking Palmer and I honestly don't know which is better tactically in the long term. 

Much though we have missed a top notch goalscorer this season, the problem / conundrum remains midfield. Basically we are too reliant on Pack. Our results have mirrored his form this season: great when he has been on song, poor when he hasn't been. Palmer has looked good in short spells and Brownhill has definitely stepped up this season, as can be seen by his goal scoring record, but we need a change to move forward as a club and move forward on the pitch.

And for all those who say it's going to cost a fortune, just look at Norwich. They picked up Buendia for £1.5M & Pukki for nothing, so bargains are out there, you just need the coach to know how you want to play and find the right players for a winning system. Likewise Sheffield United have not spent huge amounts. 

The pressure is on Ashton to get the players, and Johnson to coach them accordingly, if we want to do better next season. And it can't all depend on whether or not one midfield player is playing well. We need more strength in depth and other options, irrespective of injuries.

Personally, I reckon JB is one of a few we could lose this summer, for big money, again.

Add Webster, COD ( greedy bugger by all accounts) Kelly,  maybe Elliasson and we will be decimated again, albeit for massive money.

We go again but it will be sad to see JB leave. 

6 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Liam Walsh could be the one to push on next season, there normally is one. 

Hope so, but doubt it.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Would be even better playing alongside a quality midfielder. Superb today.

The old chestnut of raising the story of the 'elusive creative midfielder' again; you cheeky rascal, how very dare you have a swipe at whatsisface Mark. 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Why, what's happening?

The usual close season malarkey whereby the helpless City watch as the vultures hover and pick off our ripe fruit.

7 hours ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

Josh Brownhill is quality, by far the outstanding City midfielder today ( and all season) ☝️

Quality performance against Derby, although should surely have scored.  Peppered the goal with his range of long shots, but they all seemed to place right at the keeper.

Another day, he could've score two of those beauties.  Need him to still be at the club next season.

Archived