IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

Gazred

I might be over optimistic, but I think at £7m he is under valued.  I think ( as @Davefevs ) has said, nearer £10m seems right. If that is the opening offer then it might get near it. reasonable amount of time left on his contract, and being January when prices are usually higher, I can see it reaching the £10m area. At that price , hard to turn down.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think £7m is fair, but I’m out of touch, and Ashton drives a hard bargain.  Dependent on make up of any deal, likely to be around £10m (say £7m + £3m add-ons or £10m straight off), as well as the obligatory 20% sell-on.

If we had to sell then 7 million might be ok. But I think because we don't have to sell, that's why we manage to get good money for our players.

7 million for a 24 year old who is prem quality (in Burnley's opinion) is not much.

Agree something around 9-12 seems more likely. If 7 million was first offer then I'd be amazed if it was that he goes for.

Would you then but a new one in? I'd hope we'd give Morrell a chance. Has a recall option?

I guess Rowe is that position too and looked solid, but in a game that maybe suited him yesterday.

So not sure we really need to buy one. Loan in would not be bad move if the right one is available cheap.

If we could convince Chelsea to recall Gallagher, a player I felt we should have been after in the first place!

But then can't see why they'd do that when he's settled and playing at Charlton.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we had to sell then 7 million might be ok. But I think because we don't have to sell, that's why we manage to get good money for our players.

yes, absolutely, what I think he’s worth is not aligned to the weird market we now operate in.  The one thing we don’t know is how much Josh wants to go (if rumour true).

7 million for a 24 year old who is prem quality (in Burnley's opinion) is much.

Agree something around 9-12 seems more likely. If 7 million was first offer then I'd be amazed if it was that he goes for.

Yep, tears why I said some deal around the £10m mark.

Would you then but a new one in? I'd hope we'd give Morrell a chance. Has a recall option?

Nope, bring Morrell back, and keep powder dry for the summer, or to give us the edge financially for that striker we are after.

I guess Rowe is that position too and looked solid, but in a game that maybe suited him yesterday.

if we go 4141, we have plenty of ‘midfielders’

So not sure we really need to buy one. Loan in would not be bad move if the right one is available cheap.

If we could convince Chelsea to recall Gallagher, a player I felt we should have been after in the first place!

But then can't see why they'd do that when he's settled and playing at Charlton.

"Don't forget about Callum O'Dowda! He plays central midfield for the Republic  of Ireland you know. And as has totally remained the same since the 40's, playing the likes of Trashcanistan is the HIGHEST level of Football"

Thanks Callum.

We have Nagy, Massengo, Smith, Rowe, O'Dowda, Morton

Nvm Walsh and Morrell

While Brownhill is the proven best of them... happy to trade (if price is good) where we're strongest (numbers wise but quality IMO too) to sign where we're weakest.

Especially if we bypass midfield!

Brownhill has scored some fantastic goals ,proving his skill. He is rarely injured , that nasty bruise on his foot apart , and has both potential and immense experience at Championship level. 

Didn’t Bryan go for six million with next to nothing on his contract ?

7 seems a bit low for Josh in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Brownhill has scored some fantastic goals ,proving his skill. He is rarely injured , that nasty bruise on his foot apart , and has both potential and immense experience at Championship level. 

Didn’t Bryan go for six million with next to nothing on his contract ?

7 seems a bit low for Josh in my opinion. 

A key point is that neither of Burnley's regular central midfield two have scored this season, which may be a factor in their alleged interest.

We're not a pushover in the transfer market though so I doubt they would meet our likely valuation.

If we can get anything over and above 7 million for Josh he'll be gone. We all should be used to the fact by now that player sales are an important part of the club's strategy. Although no fan likes to see good players move on, we have to accept that without player sales the club is going to be losing about 20 million per year. Even for someone with deep pockets like our Steve that's not sustainable (or desirable)!!

I think if Brownihill goes then a player with good footballing skills and a bit of physicality might be needed to bolster the midfield.  We have some good ball playing midfielders but Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morrell are all quite similar although Morrell does have a bit more bite to his game.  I think Taylor Moore might fit the need for a physical presence with decent footballing skills.  He is very comfortable on the ball and distributes well.  Perhaps he could even play the Marlon Pack role and be an upgrade. 

I would rather see him played out of position in midfield than O'Dowda and with Korey coming back from a serious injury and picking up strains then maybe TM could be given a chance to shine in the role of the defensive midfielder.

Our midfield hasn't linked well with either defence or attack and lacked a bit of bite.. LJ tried Webster in midfield on occasions but we missed him in defence whereas Baker (first choice on current form) plus either Williams or a fit Kallas are in front of TM in the centre back pecking order.

Please let Taylor Moore develop as a Championship CB first, before we think about playing him elsewhere.  He is not in Webster’s class at this point.

Smith did a good defensive midfield job yesterday.

Morrell, as you say, has bite and played DM for Wales.

• The topic was locked

Archived