Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Gazred

Josh Brownhill

Thought he epitomised the performance today and underlined his YPOTY award.

Tackled, passed, pressed, drove us forward and got efforts on goal.

He's a real asset for us both financially and on the pitch

My MOM today.

• Like 11

Agree. Absolutely outstanding. I think he needs a better player alongside him to get the best out of him. Joe Williams would be ideal for next season alongside Josh.

12 minutes ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

One of the few who had a little left in the tank come 90 minutes.

Great young player. Well done this season, Josh

• Like 2

I think there are likely to be offers for him during the close season, unfortunately.

Unlucky not to get on the scoresheet today.

Him and Jay our best players today IMO.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Absolutely outstanding. I think he needs a better player alongside him to get the best out of him. Joe Williams would be ideal for next season alongside Josh.

Liam Walsh could be the one to push on next season, there normally is one. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

And I don't think he has reached anything like his full potential yet. Though he may need to move to a better team to do so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Next season at his new club he will get that better player 

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is this likely or has his injury ruled this out ?

Would be even better playing alongside a quality midfielder. Superb today.

Proper Rolls Royce of a midfielder every time I see him (which isn’t all that much any more).

Always gives 100%, pretty strong in all areas and a class act too. To his credit that he’s come from behind Pack to comfortably ahead of him and shown us that we probably need a better partner for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Proper Rolls Royce of a midfielder every time I see him (which isn’t all that much any more).

Always gives 100%, pretty strong in all areas and a class act too. To his credit that he’s come from behind Pack to comfortably ahead of him and shown us that we probably need a better partner for him.

Not a Rolls-Royce for me, but your second para re him overtaking Pack resonates with me, and I think we’ll see more if we could get someone else alongside him.  Sorry Marlon, I’m a bit down on you at the mo’ (you were decent today though), but I think the next step in our evolution is without you as the senior partner.  I do wonder how Josh would fit in with a properly firing and fit Korey.  Two energetic players in there is my wish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not a Rolls-Royce for me, but your second para re him overtaking Pack resonates with me, and I think we’ll see more if we could get someone else alongside him.  Sorry Marlon, I’m a bit down on you at the mo’ (you were decent today though), but I think the next step in our evolution is without you as the senior partner.  I do wonder how Josh would fit in with a properly firing and fit Korey.  Two energetic players in there is my wish.

Surely two different player types Josh’s passing is nothing like that of Pack’s, he will never play the “quarterback “ role?

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely two different player types Josh’s passing is nothing like that of Pack’s, he will never play the “quarterback “ role?

I don’t want a quarter-back!!  Think MPs role has really constrained us at times at home this season.  It also constrains rotation of the midfield, flogging them, because “Marlon must play”.

But, yes, two different players.  Sometimes the player that got you to being a play-off contender, isn’t the one to kick you on to the next level.  That’s how I feel about MP at the moment...and fair play to him, coming from CTFC, coming from the CM who just gave away fouls, to the midfielder he’s become, improving year on year....until thus season....imho.

23 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Be at Burnley this time next year

24 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Be at Burnley this time next year

Why, what's happening?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t want a quarter-back!!  Think MPs role has really constrained us at times at home this season.  It also constrains rotation of the midfield, flogging them, because “Marlon must play”.

But, yes, two different players.  Sometimes the player that got you to being a play-off contender, isn’t the one to kick you on to the next level.  That’s how I feel about MP at the moment...and fair play to him, coming from CTFC, coming from the CM who just gave away fouls, to the midfielder he’s become, improving year on year....until thus season....imho.

Ooh, personally I think that's a little harsh on Pack Dave.

Last season and for the majority of this one, he's been pretty consistent and central to the way LJ wants us to play. Guardiola talked about Marlon as a threat last season and if he's good enough for Pep....

Admittedly, he's been off the boil for a few weeks, but everything we do well pretty much starts with Pack. If he had a turn of pace he wouldnt be playing for us IMO and Marlons lack of form has coincided with our run of indifferent results. Coincidence? I've no idea, but it does give food for thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Ooh, personally I think that's a little harsh on Pack Dave.

Last season and for the majority of this one, he's been pretty consistent and central to the way LJ wants us to play. Guardiola talked about Marlon as a threat last season and if he's good enough for Pep....

Admittedly, he's been off the boil for a few weeks, but everything we do well pretty much starts with Pack. If he had a turn of pace he wouldnt be playing for us IMO and Marlons lack of form has coincided with our run of indifferent results. Coincidence? I've no idea, but it does give food for thought.

Yeah, maybe....and I think he’s been flogged by LJ too.

I just think the way forward might be without him being the man it all evolves around.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, maybe....and I think he’s been flogged by LJ too.

I just think the way forward might be without him being the man it all evolves around.

Oh, totally agree Dave. We're far too reliant on Pack.

Personally, I would love to see Webster doing the Baresi role, Korey doing the Deschamps role and Palmer doing the Zidane thing. There would be a nice balance there and I think Palmer has a better attacking passing ability than Pack which would give the likes of Weimann the confidence to be found when he makes a decent run behind the defence.

At the moment we are getting restricted to long shots because we dont have the quickness of thought to see the small passes into gaps between the lines in the final third.  Kasey does this although he's a liability defensively.

Its a toss up between the more defensive Pack and the more attacking Palmer and I honestly don't know which is better tactically in the long term. 

Edited by RED4LIFE
Because im an idiot and forgot things
  • Like 1

Much though we have missed a top notch goalscorer this season, the problem / conundrum remains midfield. Basically we are too reliant on Pack. Our results have mirrored his form this season: great when he has been on song, poor when he hasn't been. Palmer has looked good in short spells and Brownhill has definitely stepped up this season, as can be seen by his goal scoring record, but we need a change to move forward as a club and move forward on the pitch.

And for all those who say it's going to cost a fortune, just look at Norwich. They picked up Buendia for £1.5M & Pukki for nothing, so bargains are out there, you just need the coach to know how you want to play and find the right players for a winning system. Likewise Sheffield United have not spent huge amounts. 

The pressure is on Ashton to get the players, and Johnson to coach them accordingly, if we want to do better next season. And it can't all depend on whether or not one midfield player is playing well. We need more strength in depth and other options, irrespective of injuries.

Personally, I reckon JB is one of a few we could lose this summer, for big money, again.

Add Webster, COD ( greedy bugger by all accounts) Kelly,  maybe Elliasson and we will be decimated again, albeit for massive money.

We go again but it will be sad to see JB leave. 

6 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Liam Walsh could be the one to push on next season, there normally is one. 

Hope so, but doubt it.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Would be even better playing alongside a quality midfielder. Superb today.

The old chestnut of raising the story of the 'elusive creative midfielder' again; you cheeky rascal, how very dare you have a swipe at whatsisface Mark. 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Why, what's happening?

The usual close season malarkey whereby the helpless City watch as the vultures hover and pick off our ripe fruit.

7 hours ago, Gazred said:

My MOM today.

Josh Brownhill is quality, by far the outstanding City midfielder today ( and all season) ☝️

great player is Josh. sadly in my opinion i think a big offer will come in for him over the summer. Dont want him to leave but money talks. How much do people think we would want for him 10m maybe. 

Quality performance against Derby, although should surely have scored.  Peppered the goal with his range of long shots, but they all seemed to place right at the keeper.

Another day, he could've score two of those beauties.  Need him to still be at the club next season.

Edited by reddogkev

Post reporting £7m. That seems cheap. £10m with add ins more realistic given his age and experience. 

1 minute ago, aa_bcfc said:

Post reporting £7m. That seems cheap. £10m with add ins more realistic given his age and experience. 

Daily Mail reporting the same. My thoughts entirely with 18 months left on his contract. Hopefully we don’t let him go at all

I think £7m is fair, but I’m out of touch, and Ashton drives a hard bargain.  Dependent on make up of any deal, likely to be around £10m (say £7m + £3m add-ons or £10m straight off), as well as the obligatory 20% sell-on.

Edited by Davefevs

I might be over optimistic, but I think at £7m he is under valued.  I think ( as @Davefevs ) has said, nearer £10m seems right. If that is the opening offer then it might get near it. reasonable amount of time left on his contract, and being January when prices are usually higher, I can see it reaching the £10m area. At that price , hard to turn down.

• Like 2

£7m seems a bit low, especially at a key time of the season.

Or is it £7m plus loan/swap of a player in return- some mentioned Gibson, some mentioned Vydra- both would be good additions.

Perhaps this was a sloppy bit in the Times and it meant Burnley were keen on Brownhill, not Eliasson...or both?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think £7m is fair, but I’m out of touch, and Ashton drives a hard bargain.  Dependent on make up of any deal, likely to be around £10m (say £7m + £3m add-ons or £10m straight off), as well as the obligatory 20% sell-on.

If we had to sell then 7 million might be ok. But I think because we don't have to sell, that's why we manage to get good money for our players.

7 million for a 24 year old who is prem quality (in Burnley's opinion) is not much.

Agree something around 9-12 seems more likely. If 7 million was first offer then I'd be amazed if it was that he goes for.

Would you then but a new one in? I'd hope we'd give Morrell a chance. Has a recall option?

I guess Rowe is that position too and looked solid, but in a game that maybe suited him yesterday.

So not sure we really need to buy one. Loan in would not be bad move if the right one is available cheap.

If we could convince Chelsea to recall Gallagher, a player I felt we should have been after in the first place!

But then can't see why they'd do that when he's settled and playing at Charlton.

Edited by JonDolman

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we had to sell then 7 million might be ok. But I think because we don't have to sell, that's why we manage to get good money for our players.

yes, absolutely, what I think he’s worth is not aligned to the weird market we now operate in.  The one thing we don’t know is how much Josh wants to go (if rumour true).

7 million for a 24 year old who is prem quality (in Burnley's opinion) is much.

Agree something around 9-12 seems more likely. If 7 million was first offer then I'd be amazed if it was that he goes for.

Yep, tears why I said some deal around the £10m mark.

Would you then but a new one in? I'd hope we'd give Morrell a chance. Has a recall option?

Nope, bring Morrell back, and keep powder dry for the summer, or to give us the edge financially for that striker we are after.

I guess Rowe is that position too and looked solid, but in a game that maybe suited him yesterday.

if we go 4141, we have plenty of ‘midfielders’

So not sure we really need to buy one. Loan in would not be bad move if the right one is available cheap.

If we could convince Chelsea to recall Gallagher, a player I felt we should have been after in the first place!

But then can't see why they'd do that when he's settled and playing at Charlton.

• Like 4

He's a player that we won't need to replace by buying a new player so maybe we need the 7m cash to buy a striker.

I don’t get the love in with brownhill. He’s a decent championship midfielder, but £7m would be a great bit of business on our part imo 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

He's a player that we won't need to replace by buying a new player so maybe we need the 7m cash to buy a striker.

Eh? How do you work that one out? 

"Don't forget about Callum O'Dowda! He plays central midfield for the Republic  of Ireland you know. And as has totally remained the same since the 40's, playing the likes of Trashcanistan is the HIGHEST level of Football"

Thanks Callum.

We have Nagy, Massengo, Smith, Rowe, O'Dowda, Morton

Nvm Walsh and Morrell

While Brownhill is the proven best of them... happy to trade (if price is good) where we're strongest (numbers wise but quality IMO too) to sign where we're weakest.

Especially if we bypass midfield!

• Like 2

I saw some Post article, skim-read it- apologies, may have been mentioned, but it suggested the valuation for Brownhill was £25m??

Pure guesswork, surely!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Brownhill has scored some fantastic goals ,proving his skill. He is rarely injured , that nasty bruise on his foot apart , and has both potential and immense experience at Championship level. 

Didn’t Bryan go for six million with next to nothing on his contract ?

7 seems a bit low for Josh in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Get £9m/10m for Brownhill, use the money on a striker now or in the summer and naturally bring through Morrell into the first team set up. That’s what should happen if we are serious about this pathway thing LJ/MA bang on about yet rarely actually prove. 

• Like 2

Also equalled his leading goals in a Championship season- albeit not scored for a little while.

He's good- goals, some assists- not bad- at times excellent- technically, energy- can play centrally, wide right or higher up- the latter I think his best position.

£7m is too low.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Eh? How do you work that one out? 

Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Rowe.

£7M with sell on clause is good business if it releases a decent striker kitty.

As others have said, we have cover and must bring Morrell in next season who is the future.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Brownhill has scored some fantastic goals ,proving his skill. He is rarely injured , that nasty bruise on his foot apart , and has both potential and immense experience at Championship level. 

Didn’t Bryan go for six million with next to nothing on his contract ?

7 seems a bit low for Josh in my opinion. 

A key point is that neither of Burnley's regular central midfield two have scored this season, which may be a factor in their alleged interest.

We're not a pushover in the transfer market though so I doubt they would meet our likely valuation.

If we can get anything over and above 7 million for Josh he'll be gone. We all should be used to the fact by now that player sales are an important part of the club's strategy. Although no fan likes to see good players move on, we have to accept that without player sales the club is going to be losing about 20 million per year. Even for someone with deep pockets like our Steve that's not sustainable (or desirable)!!