IGNORED

Congrats, Sheffield Utd

AppyDAZE

12 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Load up with experienced strikers, play front foot football, impose you game on the opposition, work your ars*s off, to name a few.

Don't keep chopping and changing the system. Have a system you believe in, recruit players who fit it and drill them in the system until it is second nature.

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Chris Wilder has has done a magnificent job at that club, you can clearly see he’s taken that club by the scruff and turned it round. 

He clearly has a determination and desire that must rub off on his players, their consistency is a real lesson for teams like us.

Agree. His bravery in the way they play; fearless, attacking, aggressive football. It’s so impressive. Whoever they are playing, whatever the situation, they very rarely change.

They fully deserve their promotion. 

Their performance tonight summed them up. The left sided defender of the three centre backs got an assist and a goal. The goal was a standard header from a corner (look at what Billy Sharpe does to the keeper on this by the way, the sort of clever play we lack) but the assist from open play, give and go and to pick out a cross of that quality was something else!

They really do play on the front foot and a great example of how to play football and earn promotion the right way on a tight budget.

6 hours ago, daored said:

Hogan, Sharp, McGoldric and Madine - four quality championship strikers. Sheffield United  score goals 

Substantial talent there compared to our front four.

Let's compare the Blades and City for a moment because, for me, it makes very alarming reading.

Diedhiou 12 (5.4m), Weimann 10 (2.03m), Taylor 4 (£315k), Mo Eisa 0 (1.53m)

Semenyo is only listed in the under 23 squad.

26 goals and £9,275,000

Sharp 23 (635k), McGoldrick 15 (Free), Madine 3 (Loan), Hogan 2 (Loan)

43 goals and £635,000 pound investment.

Absolutely no comparison. Someone at City has made an almighty cock up. You can blame whomever you want but as i said on the match Day thread there is the so called 'planning for the future' or there is the 'going for it' tactic. Looking at those numbers any layman would say City are the team going for it. But when you dig deeper and apply a bit of nous it is easy to turn the tables and say no it is the Blades who are going for it; they made two savvy loan signings to compliment and place competition on the two astoundingly good signings in Sharp and McGoldrick. Like I said, someone at City has a terribly flawed strategy or, simply, does not have a clue what they are doing.

Therefore, has Lee actually done a great job or not even if the players were 'selected' for him? or did he select them himself? He cannot complain about the money spent but clearly he needs someone above him who knows what and whom to bring in. And I have only compared the front line.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Substantial talent there compared to our front four.

Let's compare the Blades and City for a moment because, for me, it makes very alarming reading.

Diedhiou 12 (5.4m), Weimann 10 (2.03m), Taylor 4 (£315k), Mo Eisa 0 (1.53m)

Semenyo is only listed in the under 23 squad.

26 goals and £9,275,000

Sharp 23 (635k), McGoldrick 15 (Free), Madine 3 (Loan), Hogan 2 (Loan)

43 goals and £635,000 pound investment.

Absolutely no comparison. Someone at City has made an almighty cock up. You can blame whomever you want but as i said on the match Day thread there is the so called 'planning for the future' or there is the 'going for it' tactic. Looking at those numbers any layman would say City are the team going for it. But when you dig deeper and apply a bit of nous it is easy to turn the tables and say no it is the Blades who are going for it; they made two savvy loan signings to compliment and place competition on the two astoundingly good signings in Sharp and McGoldrick. Like I said, someone at City has a terribly flawed strategy or, simply, does not have a clue what they are doing.

Therefore, has Lee actually done a great job or not even if the players were 'selected' for him? or did he select them himself? He cannot complain about the money spent but clearly he needs someone above him who knows what and whom to bring in. And I have only compared the front line.

I disagree with this - I think someone at Sheffield United has played an absolute blinder.

If you compare all strikers v cost across the division I think you will find we do ok. Lee said the emphasis last summer was on the defence and if you compare our defence v cost across the league we are probably in a high position so credit has to be given where due. 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I disagree with this - I think someone at Sheffield United has played an absolute blinder.

If you compare all strikers v cost across the division I think you will find we do ok. Lee said the emphasis last summer was on the defence and if you compare our defence v cost across the league we are probably in a high position so credit has to be given where due. 

They have and refering directly to @havanatopia ‘s post we simply haven’t.

Famara is not going to cut it for us given our style of play,

- Dreadful first touch

- Does not attack the ball

- lack of pace

Weimann is a decent Championship forward but no more than that and is often played out of position 

Taylor runs about a lot and he has a ‘song’ other than that, simply not good enough

Eisa - an utterly bizarre signing, where would we be this morning if his fee had partly funded the loan of an established Championship striker.

AS - looks like he has real potential but a big ask to expect him to return from a L2 loan in January and expect him to have a positive impact in the race for the Championship play offs.

The lack  of firepower is the main reason, by some distance, why we are not going to be in the top 6.

If this is not addressed in the summer then  the outcome next season is unlikely to be any different.

First off, well done united, fully deserved. 

United have shown how to recruit on a tight budget. Really not surprising we've struggled to score, never replaced Ried and Diedhiou is never a lone striker which he's often played, good support striker however.  Quality upfront was always going to be our downfall for missing out on the playoffs.  

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They’ve got a brilliant manager - and they took a chance on McGoldrick on a free and he delivered big time - whereas we paid over £5m for a ‘striker’....

Chris Wilder - three promotions in the last four seasons - two as champions ..... top gaffer ...

Knows how to do it .

Archived