IGNORED

Congrats, Sheffield Utd

AppyDAZE

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Substantial talent there compared to our front four.

Let's compare the Blades and City for a moment because, for me, it makes very alarming reading.

Diedhiou 12 (5.4m), Weimann 10 (2.03m), Taylor 4 (£315k), Mo Eisa 0 (1.53m)

Semenyo is only listed in the under 23 squad.

26 goals and £9,275,000

Sharp 23 (635k), McGoldrick 15 (Free), Madine 3 (Loan), Hogan 2 (Loan)

43 goals and £635,000 pound investment.

Absolutely no comparison. Someone at City has made an almighty cock up. You can blame whomever you want but as i said on the match Day thread there is the so called 'planning for the future' or there is the 'going for it' tactic. Looking at those numbers any layman would say City are the team going for it. But when you dig deeper and apply a bit of nous it is easy to turn the tables and say no it is the Blades who are going for it; they made two savvy loan signings to compliment and place competition on the two astoundingly good signings in Sharp and McGoldrick. Like I said, someone at City has a terribly flawed strategy or, simply, does not have a clue what they are doing.

Therefore, has Lee actually done a great job or not even if the players were 'selected' for him? or did he select them himself? He cannot complain about the money spent but clearly he needs someone above him who knows what and whom to bring in. And I have only compared the front line.

I remain of the opinion that we need a DoF and that the problem is that Ashton thinks he fills that role.

An experienced DoF could also provide the mentorship LJ currently lacks.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

They have and refering directly to @havanatopia ‘s post we simply haven’t.

Famara is not going to cut it for us given our style of play,

- Dreadful first touch

- Does not attack the ball

- lack of pace

Weimann is a decent Championship forward but no more than that and is often played out of position 

Taylor runs about a lot and he has a ‘song’ other than that, simply not good enough

Eisa - an utterly bizarre signing, where would we be this morning if his fee had partly funded the loan of an established Championship striker.

AS - looks like he has real potential but a big ask to expect him to return from a L2 loan in January and expect him to have a positive impact in the race for the Championship play offs.

The lack  of firepower is the main reason, by some distance, why we are not going to be in the top 6.

If this is not addressed in the summer then  the outcome next season is unlikely to be any different.

Add poor movement and unable to strike a ball cleanly. How many times does he mis hit a shot and end up on the floor after shooting 

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Diedhiou 12 (5.4m), Weimann 10 (2.03m), Taylor 4 (£315k), Mo Eisa 0 (1.53m)

This is probably the wrong thread to make this point, as it is a can of worms all of its own, but the Mo Eisa situation for me is season defining in its stupidity.

In one of the other threads someone used the dreaded "bag of clubs" analogy from Johnson senior, but I really do think it applies here because from what little I had seen of Eisa, he fulfils a role we have desperately needed and haven't had from anyone all season - the fox in the box who drifts off markers, finds space in the box, to create and finish chances.

Famara, Weimann and Taylor all have their attributes but not one of them, in my eyes at least, is that kind of player. A pure finisher whose only instinct to find space. Famara has been coached to be a target man and has vastly improved in that role, and in doing so it is a clear admission that it is not his role. But nor, clearly, is it Weimann's role either. Or Taylors.

So where is our Tammy / Tony Thorpe / Keiran Agard / Phil Jevons type player - goals over football. Eisa is the only credible option I can see in the squad, and he hasn't got a look in. If he isn't good enough surely you (to use that GJ analogy) see you haven't got a putter in your bag and go and get one. If he is good enough you play him. We've done neither.

I find the whole thing utterly utterly bizarre. I would pay good money to know what we have done there or what we were thinking.

By the way, on Sheff Utd - I don't particularly rate them relative to some teams I've seen in this division but you can't argue with their consistency and desire. 6 of their match day squad yesterday 5 of which played, came up from League One with them. That's the difference: we totally and utterly shanked our first season here and destroyed all the momentum.

I stick by what I said when I posted this in February 2017. City approached Wilder in the past and his representatives were invited to attend a game. Given that Sheffield United is his boyhood club, the offer was swiftly rejected. For the record, I'm a big Johnson fan and I'm glad we stuck with him. 

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Wilder has had five managerial jobs, I think, and delivered promotion in four of them. This season is no fluke, then. No mere happy alignment of the stars.

Lee is in his third job, and we very much look forward to that, er, first promotion which is only a matter of time (isn't it?)

Firstly congrats to the Blades who have been a team I like for most of my life. Shows that having a manager who knows how to win promotion is an essential for all Championship clubs. It is our biggest weakness! Two consecutive seasons when consistency would have won us promotion. This year we've gathered away points very well but at home we are dull, boring and do not appear to have a clue how to beat weaker teams.

19 hours ago, 22A said:

City did the double over the Blades, just shows the Championship is unpredictable.

We did the same to the then Second Division champions Manchester United in 74/75, finished fifth and were automatically promoted the following season.

I live in hope.

7 hours ago, Coppello said:

I stick by what I said when I posted this in February 2017. City approached Wilder in the past and his representatives were invited to attend a game. Given that Sheffield United is his boyhood club, the offer was swiftly rejected. For the record, I'm a big Johnson fan and I'm glad we stuck with him. 

Some of those first few replies haven’t aged well! 

Fully deserved. I tipped them as definite ones to watch back in August!

I didn't think top 2 though. Wilder, he's brilliant, seems to have developed and though they play the same shape broadly, it has more variations within.

Last 22, 23 games they've clearly been best side in this League in terms of points gained. Best defence this season, combined with some nice midfield play and lots of chances created! 

Congratulations to Norwich also. The great entertainers this season.

When you think of the league this season and all the big name clubs demanding a return to where they belong, you have to credit Sheff U and Norwich City. Although they are both pretty decent sized clubs themselves, not many would have had these as the top two.

Huge respect to the respective clubs, and managers for their achievements.

Good luck next season!

13 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Must surely be the first manager to get promotion from the top 4 leagues below the Prem?

Conference to L2 Oxford

L2 to L1 Northampton

L1 to Championship Sheff Utd

Championship to Premier league Sheff Utd

Great bit of trivia this but no, weirdly the last but one person to get Sheff Utd promoted to the top flight also achieved that!

(I know this as it is a classic bit of 'guess the player' pub trivia - a player played for that manager in every promotion)

37 minutes ago, Olé said:

Great bit of trivia this but no, weirdly the last person to get Sheff Utd promoted to the top flight also achieved that!

(I know this as it's a classic bit of 'guess the player' pub trivia - a player played for that manager in every promotion)

It’s not Colin is it?

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s not Colin is it?

Whoops. Now edited the trivia to last but one! Forgot about Colin, although to be fair he was close, but he doesn't have a 4th tier promotion to his name - the guy who got them up in time for the Prem era does. Amazing really that Sheff Utd have gone to the top flight this many times with managers who have worked their way up the leagues with proven promotions. Must be something in that strategy. :)

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Whoops. Now edited the trivia to last but one! Forgot about Colin, although to be fair he was close, but he doesn't have a 4th tier promotion to his name - the guy who got them up in time for the Prem era does. Amazing really that Sheff Utd have gone to the top flight this many times with managers who have worked their way up the leagues with proven promotions. Must be something in that strategy. :)

Aah - Harry Bassett then?

As for the player, got to be one of the Crazy Gang. My first thought, purely as I know he was there pretty much all the way through but was never good enough to be a regular or sold on is Downes??

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Aah - Harry Bassett then?

As for the player, got to be one of the Crazy Gang. My first thought, purely as I know he was there pretty much all the way through but was never good enough to be a regular or sold on is Downes??

Correct!

Cork - first 3 with Wimbledon, top flight promotion with Sheff Utd, all under Dave Bassett.

What they've done is a real achievement, and that needs to be acknowledged every time they play the giants of the Premier League next season. I'll definitely be rooting for them to stay up, and hopefully Wilder makes the Premier League his own.

With that being said, the second I heard that they went up, I shuddered at the thought of future Lansdown press conferences and fan posts saying "Bristol City should emulate Sheffield United".

The reason it's an accomplishment is because it was unexpected! It's not as easy as saying "well, we'll just copy them!" because any ******* idiot could try that, and fail miserably. It'd be like me watching Mo Farah run a marathon and saying "well, I'll just run as fast as he does and I'll finish at the same time". It's this kind of mentality that relegated us, and I hope that Lansdown out of all people has learned to not jump on the bandwagon of whoever got promoted.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Whoops. Now edited the trivia to last but one! Forgot about Colin, although to be fair he was close, but he doesn't have a 4th tier promotion to his name - the guy who got them up in time for the Prem era does. Amazing really that Sheff Utd have gone to the top flight this many times with managers who have worked their way up the leagues with proven promotions. Must be something in that strategy:)

Usually referred to as 'experience'. BCFC have chosen an entirely different winding road of experimentation.

On 28/04/2019 at 12:21, bris red said:

Fair play to them. Showing us how its done.. something about these northen clubs in the sense that they have that mentality to get over the line.. something we have never had at this club!

I have said before that for all the lip service paid to promotion to the Prem how many actually believe that we can make it .

Clubs like Sheff Utd and Norwich do . They’ve been there , it holds no fear and they see themselves as top division clubs .They are like us when in the third division, we feel we should be higher up the league and not playing small town clubs like Gillingham , Burton etc .

The pressure on them is to be there , the pressure on us is to stay in the Championship and not get relegated.

One day when we make the ‘ promised land ‘ it will become easier for us to do it again if we went down .

On 28/04/2019 at 09:11, chinapig said:

I remain of the opinion that we need a DoF and that the problem is that Ashton thinks he fills that role.

An experienced DoF could also provide the mentorship LJ currently lacks.

The club needs to improve on and off the pitch. That includes Ashton and LJ in my opinion, and I personally see no reason why someone six years into a managerial career needs a mentor. 

Are either actually what is needed to do better next season ? just asking and not saying get rid, but most people seem to agree the team needs to improve in various positions, so why does the off field personnel get a free pass?.

I cannot believe that LJ doesn't have a major say in recruitment, and he is THE voice when it comes to selecting and setting up the team. I feel we are set up to counter the opposition at home rather than go on the offensive which is why it has in the main been as dull at ditch water at AG.

He has delivered an improvement in terms of league position so that will probably satisfy the only person who matters in SL so it will be interesting to see how we fare next season as I believe both will be here and don't be surprised if SL tells them to balance the books if they want to bring in new players.

On 28/04/2019 at 10:30, Olé said:

This is probably the wrong thread to make this point, as it is a can of worms all of its own, but the Mo Eisa situation for me is season defining in its stupidity.

In one of the other threads someone used the dreaded "bag of clubs" analogy from Johnson senior, but I really do think it applies here because from what little I had seen of Eisa, he fulfils a role we have desperately needed and haven't had from anyone all season - the fox in the box who drifts off markers, finds space in the box, to create and finish chances.

Famara, Weimann and Taylor all have their attributes but not one of them, in my eyes at least, is that kind of player. A pure finisher whose only instinct to find space. Famara has been coached to be a target man and has vastly improved in that role, and in doing so it is a clear admission that it is not his role. But nor, clearly, is it Weimann's role either. Or Taylors.

So where is our Tammy / Tony Thorpe / Keiran Agard / Phil Jevons type player - goals over football. Eisa is the only credible option I can see in the squad, and he hasn't got a look in. If he isn't good enough surely you (to use that GJ analogy) see you haven't got a putter in your bag and go and get one. If he is good enough you play him. We've done neither.

I find the whole thing utterly utterly bizarre. I would pay good money to know what we have done there or what we were thinking.

By the way, on Sheff Utd - I don't particularly rate them relative to some teams I've seen in this division but you can't argue with their consistency and desire. 6 of their match day squad yesterday 5 of which played, came up from League One with them. That's the difference: we totally and utterly shanked our first season here and destroyed all the momentum.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Hes the only natural finisher, the fox in the box, something that imho can't be taught. Maybe instead of making sure he learned our "system", we should have given him some minutes to show us his (natural goal scoring).

We have now undoubtedly taken a very favourable asset out of his game, the confidence of scoring goals and replaced it with what exactly!!!

Archived