IGNORED

Can we keep hold of Johnson

daored

A lot had been mentioned about certain players leaving / staying.

However, are we able to keep Johnson, his name has been linked with a number of clubs recently. He has improved us season on season since taking over , and certainly appears to be highly rated within the game.

Would he fancy another season of rebuilding? Two key players from this season are on loan, Kalas and DaSilva (appreciate there are rumours deals have been agreed). Add in Webster who is bound to be on a few clubs lists for next season, Will Johnson feel he has taken us as far as we can go, of will demands be put on SL to back him financially to a level we haven’t seen before ?

Why would you take Johnson? He has had a decent cup run last season and led the club to solid top half finishes last two years. It's not remarkable. He has had some money to spend, though there is no doubt his best achievement was not being waylaid by the comings and goings last summer. 

If I was another club I'd be waiting for him to prove himself across a whole season in the league rather than contuing to go on dramatically contrasting runs of form. 

2 minutes ago, daored said:

However, are we able to keep Johnson, his name has been linked with a number of clubs recently. He has improved us season on season since taking over , and certainly appears to be highly rated within the game.

Would he fancy another season of rebuilding? Two key players from this season are on loan, Kalas and DaSilva (appreciate there are rumours deals have been agreed). Add in Webster who is bound to be on a few clubs lists for next season, Will Johnson feel he has taken us as far as we can go, of will demands be put on SL to back him financially to a level we haven’t seen before ?

Never wanted him in the first but hes proved most wrong would he do better with more financial back like to find out

5 minutes ago, daored said:

Not unless Lansdown starts spending some money 

I really hope that SL/LJ are banking on going into the market in a big way this summer and taking advantage of the skackles placed on some clubs due to FFP restrictions.

If not and we attempt to rebuild again mainly from within then I fear we’ll end up losing Lee to likes of WBA and a season or two fighting off relegation - Johnson Out ?

Not for me... 

Never been a huge LJ fan, but regardless of recent results, we've had a decent season, without being spectacular (namely at home). 

If a job came up at a club that finishes higher than us, maybe even around us, with a chance of significant financial support, then I feel that he could be tempted into leaving. Let's be fair, season upon season, we have improved in our final league position. The cup run last year, and his coaching methods in general, have got a lot of press, and will not have gone unnoticed.

If for instance, Middlesbrough fail to get into the playoffs and sack Tiny Penis, somebody like Johnson would possibly come as a welcome relief, after dealing with "Pulis-ball" all season. Boro and LJ I don't think would be a bad fit - up and coming coach in charge of a big club trying to get back into the Prem. I think they're also more likely to go with an English appointment, if of course they need a change. 

Any club coming down, will go for a named replacement as and when needed. They want a "guarantee" and not a "punt". 

Johnson will not move sideways, unless of course he is sacked. SL did say he wanted the playoffs this year, and we haven't made them (unless of course by some miracle results go our way). There is a small chance that Steve will think that time is up, although I personally think that he will give LJ one more season. The only way this will work though, is if he is prepared to spend a bit more money this summer, and we go for it next season.

In summary, a lot will depend on what other clubs around us do. If one of those jobs come up and Johnson doesn't get a bit of financial backing this summer, then I think he will be off. If however SL backs LJ in the market, then Johnson jnr. will be going nowhere.

Very simple. If we do not back him this summer he will get itchy feet and no doubt receive offers.

He is now a top end championship manager who has made progress year on year....yoyo old prem clubs will come calling.

We have to back him.

Can we 'invest heavily' though given FFP restrictions? Yes, our crowds are very good in comparison to what they used to be but can we really splash out?

I genuinely don't know so it's not a criticism of LJ, Ashton or SL . 

Is Ashton the issue? I have no idea to be fair. How do we utilise all this 'new' money that the club earn to our benefit? Our turnover must be pretty tidy?

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Anyone thinking Johnson is still doing a bad job or thinks he should be gone is a moron.

Appreciate that's a strong comment, but it's true.

It is a strong comment but completely correct,had my doubts about him but with the tools he has been given on the pitch I don’t think we can argue with where we are now it’s a case of the tool off the pitch in Ashton being binned and SL getting someone in who isn’t clueless 

Remember that weird extension LJ got a few years ago? Has he had one since? If not think he is going into his last 12 months. Could he be using that this summer to pressure into more signings? 

I am probably less convinced of him now than I was his first full season. He still makes some baffling decisions at times. He also still doesn’t utilise all the tools at his disposal. 

I am not sure I’d be gutted if he left. At the same time I’d be nervous about anyone new. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Remember that weird extension LJ got a few years ago? Has he had one since? If not think he is going into his last 12 months. Could he be using that this summer to pressure into more signings? 

I am probably less convinced of him now than I was his first full season. He still makes some baffling decisions at times. He also still doesn’t utilise all the tools at his disposal. 

I am not sure I’d be gutted if he left. At the same time I’d be nervous about anyone new. 

Nobody is perfect just look at pep with the money and players he has had at Munich and Man CIty and he still can’t win the champions league so to think lee has took us close to a chance of the so called promised land then that isn’t failure,he’s made some baffling decisions no doubt but think he deserves some leeway on that 

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't know if anyone would take a punt on him, he is widely known in the game as "streaky Lee"

But I think he might get a bet pissed off (reading between the lines of some of his comments through out the season) if SL doesn't back him with big bucks, that's TWICE in two seasons he's been sort of let down .

Lee's stock has undoubtedly increased probably to the point where he would find work in this division. You are right about being backed correctly though. I just wonder if the Semenyo substitution yesterday was a little nod to SL; this is what you gave me, now do you finally see why we are where we are in the table. And the comment by a poster in the match day comparing Oliver Norwood with Mo Eisa struck a cord with me. This 'one for the future' policy when you can go from 2 million to 120 million is not lost on Sheffield Utd but it is, apparently, on City. I wonder if it is time our DOF was replaced by a proper football man and SL really did take a step back.

With West Brom and Fulham biding time with caretakers and Brighton considering Hughtons future I wouldn't be surprised if Lee wasn't high up on a short list (no pun intended) somewhere. 

I think if he gets an offer elsewhere and Uncle Steve doesn't give him a guarantee that he will invest heavily in the summer he may be tempted to go. 

We have to change the mentality of the club. We have to invest in experienced players if we are to lose the 'little Bristol City' tag and become genuine promotion contenders next year. 

On the subject of possible managerial changes; I've seen this from a Hull fan;

"Yes unfortunately makes our last game against yourselves a little meaningless next week. Apparently 2,500 tickets sold for your lot, that's a long way to come for nothing. Still I think both the Tigers and Bristol City will consider it a reasonable season considering were they both were before Christmas. Yeah, but with Adkins maybe abandoning ship along with quite a few players, Bristol are in better shape out of the two of us. Rumour is that he might go to Middlesbrough this summer - can't say I blame him".

14 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Why would you take Johnson? He has had a decent cup run last season and led the club to solid top half finishes last two years. It's not remarkable. He has had some money to spend, though there is no doubt his best achievement was not being waylaid by the comings and goings last summer. 

If I was another club I'd be waiting for him to prove himself across a whole season in the league rather than contuing to go on dramatically contrasting runs of form. 

Spot on. Those suggesting 'bigger' clubs will look at taking him on are deluded.

Archived