IGNORED

Lansdown...

BessexRED

It’s over to you mate.

I’ve been the biggest critic of Johnson, but he’s proved me wrong this season.

He’s proved he can take this squad beyond it’s capabilities, and I think had we signed a striker and not recalled Semenyo it’d be a different story but that’s a debate that’s been and gone and I’m done with it.

Johnson has my full trust now, it’s up to you Steve, please back him. He’s gained your trust, let’s have Kalas and Da Silva, let’s have some quality and go for it next season in the positions we need.

Such a sad end to the season but we’re in a great position as a club. Thank you, Steve, Mark, Lee. It’s been great fun, see you in August chaps.

Have a great summer the lot of you. See you in Millwall for a final hurrah/piss up, it’ll be a big one.

UTC.

Completely agreed. The manager has put himself in a position where he is now one of brightest English prospects in the country again. He now needs to be properly backed or we have completely wasted the progress of the last couple  of years.

Over to Mr Lansdown to show whether he has the balls to back us sufficiently to reach the next level. I don’t think he has but let’s see what the Summer brings.

12 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

It’s over to you mate.

He’s proved he can take this squad beyond it’s capabilities, and I think had we signed a striker and not recalled Semenyo it’d be a different story but that’s a debate that’s been and gone and I’m done with it.

Johnson has my full trust now, it’s up to you Steve, please back him. He’s gained your trust, let’s have Kalas and Da Silva, let’s have some quality and go for it next season in the positions we need.

Such a sad end to the season but we’re in a great position as a club. Thank you, Steve, Mark, Lee. It’s been great fun, see you in August chaps.

Have a great summer the lot of you. See you in Millwall for a final hurrah/piss up, it’ll be a big one.

UTC.

But we still have a chance. Why are so many on here running up the white flag. Hull is the final hurrah/piss up not Millwall.

I agree with the sentiment of this. LJ has proven he is a capable manager at this level when given good quality players. We now have one of the highest income streams in the division and so it's time for SL to loosen those purse strings - particularly regarding the wage bill - and give it a bloody good go next season.

56 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

It’s over to you mate.

UTC.

Yep . Can't disagree 

Time to back him and actually try to push into the top 6 next season 

While the sentiment is true LJ needs backing in the summer, some need to remember last summer it seems we needed the money we brought in to be safely clear of FFP, so last summer and January we were probably being cautious in this regard. 

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with the sentiment of this. LJ has proven he is a capable manager at this level when given good quality players. We now have one of the highest income streams in the division and so it's time for SL to loosen those purse strings - particularly regarding the wage bill - and give it a bloody good go next season.

Need to improve recruitment this summer.  Was pretty happy with last summer’s signings, I accept you won’t get everyone correct.

But we must be more frugal with the ones for the future.  We can not afford any more Eisa’s, Engvall’s etc.  We need to have a bit more faith in the Academy to fill the gap.

In all honesty, is Walsh any better than Morrell?  Imho no he’s not.  Might we be better backing Bakinson.

Is Moore any better than Vyner?

Semenyo appears to be a far better prospect than Eisa.

There’s several million there that might’ve been put towards one top player.  That’s where we must improve.

LJ is gonna get criticism from me, most managers are.  Unless you get a stellar season like 14/15, there’s always things to do better.  18 wins / 26 games where we didn’t, will always lead to a mix of views.  I do know we could be a lot worse off.  There aren’t many realistic appointments out there that excite me, or think we’d be better off with.  

LJ has developed his skill set, but I wonder where the ceiling is....it will plateau at some point.

And I do think he’s doing a good job in a difficult league.  I accept he’s the professional, I’m just a casual observer, and he will do things I wouldn’t.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

While the sentiment is true LJ needs backing in the summer, some need to remember last summer it seems we needed the money we brought in to be safely clear of FFP, so last summer and January we were probably being cautious in this regard. 

You could argue we overspent and under-achieved previously! ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You could argue we overspent and under-achieved previously! ?

True but I think we needed that pause in spending to make things comfortable moving forward, if we had spent in January and not made it people would still expect in the summer and things be tighter.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

True but I think we needed that pause in spending to make things comfortable moving forward, if we had spent in January and not made it people would still expect in the summer and things be tighter.

Agree, was saying it all last season, especially in Jan 18, when 2nd and not going for it.  We did go for it, by not selling Bryan and / or Flint in that window.

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

As much as I’d like to see a well invested summer, I honestly cannot see it. I believe SL has his methodology and is sticking with it. With or without Lee Johnson. Think a lot of people will be disappointed come August.

16/17, broke even on transfers despite the Kodjia transfer money, would have been an over net spend if not for that transfer. 17/18 we had approx £10m net spend over. Last season had to help account for those. Last summer now accounts for the next 2 seasons of spending while our non match day income continues to grow as well. I expect we'll spend a decent amount it just depends on outgoings.

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

It’s over to you mate.

UTC.

Fair play BR. It takes guts to admit you think you have been wrong and put it out there to the public. I admire that in a person.

As I mentioned in another thread, as our 3 year FFP period ends this season, I think we will be able to spend a bit more than we have in the last two years this summer. If we get the right players in there is no reason why we can't improve again next season. Whether that's play-offs or automatic promotion, I don't mind, but either are definitely achievable with the right investment as I dont think we're a million miles off a really good side now. 

Also, I like the fact we've stuck with LJ through bad times and bucked the trend of knee-jerk sackings when things aren't going well. Again, this can only benefit the club in the long term as all the staff, from the players and coaches to the analysts, physios and beyond know exactly what the manager and board want and can put in long term plans without fear of losing their jobs or having to change all their plans when a new manager comes in every 6-12 months.

As a club we're nowhere near perfect, but we are 1000% better ran than we were 10 years ago when GJ was the gaffer. 

As painful as it was at the time, SOD nailed it when he said the principals and systems he was putting in place would only benefit the managers further down the line. Essentially, the short term pain was always gonna be worth the long-term gain.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, was saying it all last season, especially in Jan 18, when 2nd and not going for it.  We did go for it, by not selling Bryan and / or Flint in that window.

I’d like to see a season or two now where the strategy is go for 1 or 2 more expensive signings. Yep may not come off but think that’s the smart move now on balance 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@RED4LIFE FFP is a rolling 3 year period, so the £23m(ish) loss from 17/18, is still with us next season too....17/18, 18/19 and 19/20.

Really? Bollocks, I thought we had a 3 year period to cover the losses incurred and then it reset, essentially giving us another 3 years to cover any losses occurred within the latest 3 years (if that makes sense!). 

Ah well, everyone please ignore me and my drunken, ill-informed ramblings from now onwards.

3 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Really? Bollocks, I thought we had a 3 year period to cover the losses incurred and then it reset, essentially giving us another 3 years to cover any losses occurred within the latest 3 years (if that makes sense!). 

Ah well, everyone please ignore me and my drunken, ill-informed ramblings from now onwards.

Every day a skool day with FFP.  The EFL are the ones who know it less than most!

Archived