IGNORED

Empty stadium at final whistle

hantsred

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I stayed until about ten mins after the final whistle, and the Lansdown Stand still seemed quite full.

Even managed to see Kalas with his shirt off, the last man to exit the pitch, and my God he is built like a tank.  We say about having him here next year, but I reckon he's secretly planning a move into Strong man competitions - muscle upon muscle!

Yup, that was worth staying for alone. I don’t do it often but half hour after the game I wandered round to the players entrance to see what the mood was.

Kallas came out and signed some autographs etc, someone told him to ‘sign the deal’ and to ‘stay next year’. He would make a bloody good poker player, not a flicker of emotion. Same by Dasilva when he was told the same. Chelsea must coach them or something, absolutely no acknowledgement, usually you get a laugh or a mumbled ‘we’ll see’ comment. 

And as an aside, the Ref was spotted driving out in his car. Absolutely hounded out by some fans who surrounded the car and just about the whole crowd left him with ‘cheat, cheat’ ringing in his ears. Won’t change the result but quite satisfying all the same.

I understand people's frustration at those leaving in the Dolman after the second goal, but what really bugged me is the guy the row in front of me in S82 who launched into a foul tirade of expletives against them. Sure, we all think they should stay until the end, but its just downright embarassing to have one group of fans launching abuse at another.

For the record, I left straight after the final whistle because I had to get to work, like I always do.

2 hours ago, swanker said:

I went into the stadium full of optimism of a win and 3 points and as usual just lately was very disappointed come the final whistle. The cold rain was blowing all over me so I shot off home as quick as I could. 

It would have been nice to applaud the team off especially if we would have won but sadly this season our home for has been poor. 

You shouldn't have to make excuses for leaving It's human nature to be disappointed, and let's be honest here we have been apart from a few games at home hugely disappointing. I for one have not enjoyed attending home games, well except for the odd one or two, think yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back and maybe supporters have had enough of poor home performances and results.

39 minutes ago, italian dave said:

As said elsewhere, he took the decision to avoid a potential confrontation with the referee. He's been in enough trouble already this season, and the last thing we need isn't to be starting next season with him under a 'suspension'.

I think that's a feeble excuse, Dave, It's a big pitch; he doesn't need to be closer to the ref, if he chooses, than he was throughout the match. He doesn't need to shake hands with the ref - just be there to acknowledge his supporters. Whenever we lose at home or play particularly badly, LJ disappears straight down the tunnel without acknowledging the crowd. The referee hasn't always been the one to blame. Standing in front of your supporters and hearing discontent when things have gone wrong takes guts and our players never fail to do it. But Lee does. It's his green kryptonite.

I have no time at all for Warnock but after a match this season where he felt particularly wronged by refereeing decisions, he walked onto the centre of the pitch, pointedly didn't acknowledge the officials and in doing so, grew in the affection of his own fans. Warnock has been in more trouble with the authorities than LJ ever will be, but he was visible and he went up in the fans estimation a a result. Lee went down in mine.

It always happens on the last home game of the season, many left at half time last season against Sheffield United (me included - for the first time in my life).If you're a season ticket holder it is the fag-end of your money's worth, it isn't really a big deal.

As a student of football cultures around the world I honestly think for a lot of people this is our calculated equivalent of the white handkerchiefs in Spain and Portugal - a deliberate show of recognition that a game is up. Most don't actually NEED to leave.

By the way, has there been a more miserable setting to a last home game of the season. The omens weren't good. Shivering half to death like the middle of winter, and  torrential rain at full time. I know we had a lovely weekend last week but ******* hell.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

You shouldn't have to make excuses for leaving It's human nature to be disappointed, and let's be honest here we have been apart from a few games at home hugely disappointing. I for one have not enjoyed attending home games, well except for the odd one or two, think yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back and maybe supporters have had enough of poor home performances and results.

Home performances have been terrible. Nearly every time we build up our hopes and there’s a good crowd the team have under performed. Our home run in was pretty easy but we messed it up. Beating Sheffield Utd and Borough away has made a disappointing end to the season just about acceptable. 

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

let's be honest here we have been apart from a few games at home hugely disappointing. I for one have not enjoyed attending home games, 

20 minutes ago, swanker said:

Home performances have been terrible. 

Agreed, you can't say it hasn't been a 'good season' overall when you look at the table but the home games have all to often been been very disappointing.

I was struggling to find the enthusiasm to renew, but was always going to I suppose. Just ended up paying more for it!

Let's hope for more consistently entertaining and exciting fare at the Gate next season.

50 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

I understand people's frustration at those leaving in the Dolman after the second goal, but what really bugged me is the guy the row in front of me in S82 who launched into a foul tirade of expletives against them. Sure, we all think they should stay until the end, but its just downright embarassing to have one group of fans launching abuse at another.

For the record, I left straight after the final whistle because I had to get to work, like I always do.

Same happened in S21 some bloke screaming at people for leaving. At the end of the day if people want to go they can go right? I don't get why it should concern other people?

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Our fanbase has a shit mentality and a big reason for our lack of success.

A lot of people went because it was a big match which attracts not exactly the die hard City fanatic the football is part of the days entertainment and when things don't go to plan "Oh well move on things to do".

Newcastle,Leeds,Villa they have a football mentality Bristol flits in and out with what's around at the time older fans are use to disappointment when push 

comes to shove younger fans have the hope and expectation of better days ahead because there has never before been the huge investment in the building up of the stadium,business, playing and non playing staff in City's history. 

5 hours ago, Albert said:

apologies I I decided to go home after the final whistle went, Whilst I am more than happy with the season and their efforts , I cant remember the last time someone turned up at my work and applauded me for doing a day/weeks work!!!

It is difficult seeing that you are a librarian. I don't want to get banned from all the Bristol and South Glos libraries for flouting their Silence Please rule.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that's a feeble excuse, Dave, It's a big pitch; he doesn't need to be closer to the ref, if he chooses, than he was throughout the match. He doesn't need to shake hands with the ref - just be there to acknowledge his supporters. Whenever we lose at home or play particularly badly, LJ disappears straight down the tunnel without acknowledging the crowd. The referee hasn't always been the one to blame. Standing in front of your supporters and hearing discontent when things have gone wrong takes guts and our players never fail to do it. But Lee does. It's his green kryptonite.

I have no time at all for Warnock but after a match this season where he felt particularly wronged by refereeing decisions, he walked onto the centre of the pitch, pointedly didn't acknowledge the officials and in doing so, grew in the affection of his own fans. Warnock has been in more trouble with the authorities than LJ ever will be, but he was visible and he went up in the fans estimation a a result. Lee went down in mine.

Fair enough, can see that. I just think he wouldn't be able to walk past like that. And anyway, given our recent record with refs and the efl, he'd probably end up getting in trouble for ignoring the ref! And it wasn't like he was avoiding confrontation with fans yesterday, if anything the opposite. 

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Same happened in S21 some bloke screaming at people for leaving. At the end of the day if people want to go they can go right? I don't get why it should concern other people?

I find it interesting how football fans hate being considered “customers” rather than “supporters”.

Leaving a match with 15 minutes still to play is the attitude of a customer, not a supporter.

For me people who leave with a significant amount of time still on the clock aren’t true fans of the game. They’re only interested if they’re winning. They don’t appreciate football’s rare ability to surprise you with an unexpected late turnaround, that tiny thread of hope that the rest of us cling to. It’s not an attitude I can relate to.

4 hours ago, clunes said:

That wasn’t the stadium at the final whistle. Admittedly, a lot went after the second goal for some inexplicable reason, but the stadium was still pretty much full at full time.

theres no-one on ether pitch in your photo and both teams stayed on for at least 5 minutes after the whistle. 

Im not sure what your agenda is, but don’t let the truth get in the way of it.

Spot on. Always posts the same sort of shit.

No way was that the final whistle. 

The bloke’s a buffoon.....

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Spot on. Always posts the same sort of shit.

No way was that the final whistle. 

The bloke’s a buffoon.....

I have already replied if you care to read, that my picture was not taken at the whistle  and I certainly don't have an agenda but I was intrigued as to the general point that the traditional lap of honour for the final home game of the season (whether to be extended or not) is a chance for many supporters to show appreciation to players and for them to show appreciation back. It is mutual and respectful and maybe not be for everybody who is sick and tired of yet another season of missed opportunities, but it did seem that a large majority couldn't get out quick enough yesterday. 

Anyway this will be the same sort of shit so jog on and read something more palatable to your good self.

7 minutes ago, hantsred said:

I have already replied if you care to read, that my picture was not taken at the whistle  and I certainly don't have an agenda but I was intrigued as to the general point that the traditional lap of honour for the final home game of the season (whether to be extended or not) is a chance for many supporters to show appreciation to players and for them to show appreciation back. It is mutual and respectful and maybe not be for everybody who is sick and tired of yet another season of missed opportunities, but it did seem that a large majority couldn't get out quick enough yesterday. 

Anyway this will be the same sort of shit so jog on and read something more palatable to your good self.

I won’t be jogging. I’ll be sprinting.

Tell you what though. I’ll post final photos at the final whistle on Tuesday night and on Sunday.

Unless of course you’ll be there showing your appreciation? ?

On the subject of the pre ht dolman exodus. It’s infuriating to have my view and enjoyment spoiled and continually having to stand to enable those further along the row leaving their seat 10 minutes before ht for their ht beer. Easily solved by the club by not selling alcohol at ht at all or at least not before the ht whistle. 

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

The connection between club and supporters has widened since the whole Bristol Sport thing came in. Bit of a shame really as we used to be a very close knit club in the 80s and 90s. But that’s progress I suppose????

How true, the regular 8k (with a few thousand irregulars and away fans) of the third tier are now well and truly outnumbered, even back then there were quite a few early leavers. 

Getting out of the ground is more of an issue now it’s all seated. The huge exit gates of the East End, open end and grandstand enabled smooth egress, the Dolman always was a pig with more than 3k in it, most early risers stood at pitch level until the final whistle, you can no longer do this. For many the crawl out is a right royal pain, and stressful- therefore they chose to go. Simples really, the new generation of fans like a smooth exit!

45 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

On the subject of the pre ht dolman exodus. It’s infuriating to have my view and enjoyment spoiled and continually having to stand to enable those further along the row leaving their seat 10 minutes before ht for their ht beer. Easily solved by the club by not selling alcohol at ht at all or at least not before the ht whistle. 

Be warned - in response to the recent decision to close the kiosks 15 minutes before kick off, I made a similar comment on twitter, slightly tongue-in-cheek, that it would be better for those of us who want to actually watch the game if the club kept the concessions closed until HT.

The level of abuse I got from a certain demographic - young 20-somethings who couldn’t comprehend the thought of not being able to buy a beer during the thing they’d supposedly paid to see - was astonishing, to the point where I was being trolled, personally abused and had to block them.

Post-redevelopment, instant access to beer at all times seems to have become an expectation for some in a way that it never used to be. I get the social aspect, but football almost seems a secondary consideration for many now.

Many people also seem to struggle with the concept that their actions might impact on their fellow supporters’ enjoyment of the game.

9 hours ago, RedM said:

I took the boos to be aimed at the Ref, or Lampard celebrating like he had won the Champions League.  I saw our players being applauded.

He does that thing with the derby fans after every game they win, and in all fairness it’s a pretty impressive chant...beats our bounce around hands down

25 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

He does that thing with the derby fans after every game they win, and in all fairness it’s a pretty impressive chant...beats our bounce around hands down

That’s fair enough, if it’s their thing and yes the fans all seemed to join in. I was just saying I thought part of the boos were aimed at him and Derby once our fans saw him but of course the majority were at the Ref

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Be warned - in response to the recent decision to close the kiosks 15 minutes before kick off, I made a similar comment on twitter, slightly tongue-in-cheek, that it would be better for those of us who want to actually watch the game if the club kept the concessions closed until HT.

The level of abuse I got from a certain demographic - young 20-somethings who couldn’t comprehend the thought of not being able to buy a beer during the thing they’d supposedly paid to see - was astonishing, to the point where I was being trolled, personally abused and had to block them.

Post-redevelopment, instant access to beer at all times seems to have become an expectation for some in a way that it never used to be. I get the social aspect, but football almost seems a secondary consideration for many now.

Many people also seem to struggle with the concept that their actions might impact on their fellow supporters’ enjoyment of the game.

I totally understand what you are saying. Drinking is sold at so many outlets now and even have people walking around with tanks on their backs selling it. It is a huge money spinner for the club so they want to sell as much of it as they can as quick as they can, same at all grounds I guess. Obviously there is a rush to the kiosks as you can’t take it to your seat, and no I DO NOT want people to be able too. Rugby is horrendous for this, certainly the game is a side spectacle there which at times is a huge shame.

Dont get me wrong I like a drink, but I just can’t be bothered to neck a pint at ht, prefer to drink either before the match (rarely) or more usually after at my leisure. 

5 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

The connection between club and supporters has widened since the whole Bristol Sport thing came in. Bit of a shame really as we used to be a very close knit club in the 80s and 90s. But that’s progress I suppose????

I agree with you it's not even Bristol city fcs stadium we are tenants, pats Rugby boys call the shots now even when they want choice of Saturday or Sunday 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I think our 'Support' in general stinks.

We have a minority of passionate supporters who try to create a good atmosphere, and there are fans like myself, who aren't 'singers' but will join in support, when the C'mooooon you reds generates around the ground.

I usually sit in the middle of the Dolman, however yesterday chose to sit just above our dugout.

What a bunch of moaning, entitled, non supporting bunch of 'fans' I've ever heard or seen. total lack of support and a continual moaning chattering.

It's very similar in the Central Dolman.

It's very weird...too posh to push is a sentiment that comes to mind. Too middle class to bother. It really feels like an entitled feeling sometimes.

Yet go to the Rugby...and everyone is shouting and getting behind the team. I really can't work it out.

These are the same people that moan like hell when things aren't going to plan...but when doing well, just think it's how it should be.

We as a Support in general are very poor imo.

I felt for LJ and the players yesterday. A fantastic effort and a fantastic season.

We were fantastic on the pitch yesterday...and have been in general all season.

I stood there applauding them off...but feeling like some of our fans don't deserve success.

So many just like a moan...with an 'Entitled' disposition it seems.

Tin hat on.

On a side note...what a player Jay is.

I agree regarding our support but I don’t think we were fantastic yesterday. It wasn’t a bad performance, we were probably the better team but other than the couple of goal mouth scrambles we didn’t ever really look like scoring (IMO). We didn’t get in behind them, we didn’t create any clear cut chances, we gave the ball away far too much and our crossing was dreadful just like at Wednesday on Monday. 

I came away disappointed that we’d blown a very good opportunity over the last 3/4 games, and I wasn’t too disheartened about the actual performance but like I say I don’t think it was “fantastic”. Just my opinion

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I agree regarding our support but I don’t think we were fantastic yesterday. It wasn’t a bad performance, we were probably the better team but other than the couple of goal mouth scrambles we didn’t ever really look like scoring (IMO). We didn’t get in behind them, we didn’t create any clear cut chances, we gave the ball away far too much and our crossing was dreadful just like at Wednesday on Monday. 

I came away disappointed that we’d blown a very good opportunity over the last 3/4 games, and I wasn’t too disheartened about the actual performance but like I say I don’t think it was “fantastic”. Just my opinion

You've hit the nail on the head. It wasn't fantastic - the first half of the West Brom game was fantastic. 

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

I agree with you it's not even Bristol city fcs stadium we are tenants, pats Rugby boys call the shots now even when they want choice of Saturday or Sunday 

Can you please provide evidence of these claims.

(Clue: Bristol City Holdings owns Ashton Gate and the formation of Bristol Sport has changed nothing in that respect)

Archived