IGNORED

Empty stadium at final whistle

hantsred

12 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well we are trying to improve as a club, players, management, infrastructure. Seems to me the fans need to improve big time, a shocking performance in such an important game.

City pushing for an equaliser leading up to half time, half the crowd gone having a pint. Momentum gone.

City concede an undeserved second but the players have given it absolutely everything, streams of people leaving, justified on here by oh we werent gonna win from that position. Unbelievable.

Final whistle ground is half empty and by the time of the lap of honour for a really good season, last chance to see a number of players and there is barely anyone there.

Our fanbase has a shit mentality and a big reason for our lack of success.

Have to agree with your pre half time post, but for me, the ko for the second half was even worse. Literally 80% of the lower landsdown was empty for a couple of minutes after the ref blew the whistle to restart!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can you please provide evidence of these claims.

(Clue: Bristol City Holdings owns Ashton Gate and the formation of Bristol Sport has changed nothing in that respect)

Steve lansdown owns the lot rugby and football  who both play in the Bristol sport stadium 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can you please provide evidence of these claims.

(Clue: Bristol City Holdings owns Ashton Gate and the formation of Bristol Sport has changed nothing in that respect)

Which club gets the first choice on when they play fixtures my guess is the rugby team 

5 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Steve lansdown owns the lot rugby and football  who both play in the Bristol sport stadium 

Which doesn’t make us tenants.

3 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Which club gets the first choice on when they play fixtures my guess is the rugby team 

So you’ve stated it as a fact but now downgraded it to a “guess”.

No further questions.

4 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Have to agree with your pre half time post, but for me, the ko for the second half was even worse. Literally 80% of the lower landsdown was empty for a couple of minutes after the ref blew the whistle to restart!

People moan about the club’s lack of ambition but the brutal reality is that lots of our own fans aren’t really that arsed. That’s the only explanation for missing 10 mins of the most important game we have had for over a decade to go and get a pint. Not blaming people, it’s fine if they want to do that but the reality is that it must have a negative effect on the players playing to half empty stands. Fans have a role to play too (as we saw incredibly positively in home win v West Brom).

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

Massively disappointed with the end to the home season . Clapped the players off but failed to see the our leader who I think I saw dash off down the tunnel on the final whistle !!

He was too angry to trust himself near the ref he said!

Crushing disappointment too I dare say. Should have acknowledged the fans better?

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was too angry to trust himself near the ref he said!

Crushing disappointment too I dare say. Should have acknowledged the fans better?

I would’ve liked to have thanked him . Not much point in getting a red out of frustration by confronting the ref 

15 hours ago, Neutral said:

You would never see this at Leeds, Newcastle or a lot of other clubs. But I'm sure they all had good excuses...

That’s rubbish - Newcastle fans streamed out at half time a few years ago when they were 0-4 down to Arsenal - they eventually got it back to 4-4 - much to the chagrin of the thousands who’d left with 45 mins to go. They also streamed out early in their thousands when they were getting humped 0-3 at home by Sunderland in 2013...and when they were getting humped 0-3 at home by Sunderland in 2014 ...

....and, when Ardiles was their Manager they had a home crowd of 9k vs Crewe Alex in the second tier of English football - don’t fall for the hype that the Geordies are the greatest fans in the country .... yes they’ve got an amazing following, both home and away, but it hasn’t always been the case, and they are certainly no strangers to walking out early when it ain’t going well on the pitch .... our fans aren’t that bad you know ...

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s rubbish - Newcastle fans streamed out at half time a few years ago when they were 0-4 down to Arsenal - they eventually got it back to 4-4 - much to the chagrin of the thousands who’d left with 45 mins to go. They also streamed out early in their thousands when they were getting humped 0-3 at home by Sunderland in 2013...and when they were getting humped 0-3 at home by Sunderland in 2014 ...

....and, when Ardiles was their Manager they had a home crowd of 9k vs Crewe Alex in the second tier of English football - don’t fall for the hype that the Geordies are the greatest fans in the country .... yes they’ve got an amazing following, both home and away, but it hasn’t always been the case, and they are certainly no strangers to walking out early when it ain’t going well on the pitch .... our fans aren’t that bad you know ...

That Crewe game more than likely a Cup game. I believe Ardiles was there early 90's?

However with many clubs, attendances have risen exponentially in the last 20-30 years.

See as you know football had a bad rep for some time and it took a while for attendances to build up again. Newcastle absolutely not immune from this.

On a general note, a paradox is that people priced out but more have started going so a net rise.

On this specific post, 9k for them v Crewe early 90's? Interesting but ultimately misleading as it doesn't factor in the context of the times.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That Crewe game more than likely a Cup game. I believe Ardiles was there early 90's?

However with many clubs, attendances have risen exponentially in the last 20-30 years.

See as you know football had a bad rep for some time and it took a while for attendances to build up again. Newcastle absolutely not immune from this.

On a general note, a paradox is that people priced out but more have started going so a net rise.

On this specific post, 9k for them v Crewe early 90's? Interesting but ultimately misleading as it doesn't factor in the context of the times.

You’re probably right about the Crewe game - but I used to work with a Geordie who was always boasting about their support - so another stat I used to stop him in his tracks was that they had a home attendance of 10,004 in a home league game vs Oxford in 1991 - in the second tier ....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’re probably right about the Crewe game - but I used to work with a Geordie who was always boasting about their support - so another stat I used to stop him in his tracks was that they had a home attendance of 10,004 in a home league game vs Oxford in 1991 - in the second tier ....

Football was at different time in a different place then, but yeah you won that round v him!

Was he a Keegan era newbie? Or a non Newcastle based one- have a number in London I believe.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Football was at different time in a different place then, but yeah you won that round v him!

Was he a Keegan era newbie? Or a non Newcastle based one- have a number in London I believe.

To be fair to him he was old school - always wanging on about Wyn Davies, Bobby Moncur, Pop Robson, Malcolm MacDonald and all that .... 

23 hours ago, Neutral said:

You would never see this at Leeds, Newcastle or a lot of other clubs. But I'm sure they all had good excuses...

Got to be having a laugh haven’t you? Leeds fans are the most abusive of their own players in the country. Patrick Bamford’s averaging a goal every 130 minutes for Leeds his season and at Preston the other week they were ironically cheering him scoring goals in the warmup. Not sure what you’re on about.

11 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Pats Rugby boys prefer to play at home on Saturday when fixtures clash so I guess they get the choice 

You're still yet to show us proof of when we've moved a game because the rugby prefer to play on a Saturday... 

21 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

I understand people's frustration at those leaving in the Dolman after the second goal, but what really bugged me is the guy the row in front of me in S82 who launched into a foul tirade of expletives against them. Sure, we all think they should stay until the end, but its just downright embarassing to have one group of fans launching abuse at another.

For the record, I left straight after the final whistle because I had to get to work, like I always do.

In my best Mark Ashton voice.......Let's be clear here, there were as many people in the South Stand leaving soon after the second goal as there were in the Dolman.

This lazy 'criticism' of the whole of the Dolman appears to come from fans in the South Stand who clearly can't see/choose to ignore similar numbers leaving from their own stand.

On 28/04/2019 at 07:36, hantsred said:

I know the result wasn't what we deserved or wanted yesterday but it wasn't for the lack of effort! So why not stay and applaud your team on the seasons efforts yesterday? 

DSC_0500_compress_38.JPG

This picture is bull !!

There were lots of people still in the ground at the end of the game - this picture was clearly taken after the players had walked past the Dolman stand hence why it is emptying !!

No idea why you would post such rubbish? Fishing for a wind up, or was it taken by someone else and sent to you?

Either complete BS and misleading for no reason !

On 28/04/2019 at 11:37, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that's a feeble excuse, Dave, It's a big pitch; he doesn't need to be closer to the ref, if he chooses, than he was throughout the match. He doesn't need to shake hands with the ref - just be there to acknowledge his supporters. Whenever we lose at home or play particularly badly, LJ disappears straight down the tunnel without acknowledging the crowd. The referee hasn't always been the one to blame. Standing in front of your supporters and hearing discontent when things have gone wrong takes guts and our players never fail to do it. But Lee does. It's his green kryptonite.

I have no time at all for Warnock but after a match this season where he felt particularly wronged by refereeing decisions, he walked onto the centre of the pitch, pointedly didn't acknowledge the officials and in doing so, grew in the affection of his own fans. Warnock has been in more trouble with the authorities than LJ ever will be, but he was visible and he went up in the fans estimation a a result. Lee went down in mine.

Lee has in the past sprinted across the length of the pitch and had to be pulled away from the referee.

I don't think it necessarily was a feeble excuse, if you know you're going to blow your top at someone it's better to walk off in the opposite direction and defuse 

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Lee has in the past sprinted across the length of the pitch and had to be pulled away from the referee.

I don't think it necessarily was a feeble excuse, if you know you're going to blow your top at someone it's better to walk off in the opposite direction and defuse 

I know that football evokes passions that seldom reveal themselves in everyday life, James but I do feel that LJ is old and wise enough to be able to exercise greater self control and rein in his temper. If he can't then he needs to learn some techniques other than disappearing. However, there have been lots of other occasions where Lee has failed to come onto the pitch to acknowledge his supporters and that has invariably coincided with defeat or a poor performance - where the officials can be, in no way, blamed for the outcome. At home versus Ipswich I recall for example, he was a no show.

Like I said earlier in this thread, failing to front up on the pitch after a dispiriting outcome is a trait of LJ so I wasn't surprised when he didn't come out on Saturday - I was just disappointed.

On 28/04/2019 at 21:05, windmillhillred said:

People moan about the club’s lack of ambition but the brutal reality is that lots of our own fans aren’t really that arsed. That’s the only explanation for missing 10 mins of the most important game we have had for over a decade to go and get a pint. Not blaming people, it’s fine if they want to do that but the reality is that it must have a negative effect on the players playing to half empty stands. Fans have a role to play too (as we saw incredibly positively in home win v West Brom).

I never go for a bevvy at HT myself and hung around long after for both the Derby and the shitfest Reading games had finished but don't you think that if the team was really going for it at the time, a very large proportion of those who disappeared would have stayed in their seats ?

I don't personally get the hype about how much we dominated Derby incidentally. We were certainly the better team but they will have had much rougher rides away from home this season. Lots of tippy tappy play in front of them contributed to the atmosphere amongst a nervous crowd, following a few matches of sketchy form thinking "here we go again".

City fans are no different from any other set of fans in the championship, with the exception that very few others have been so consistently shite for 90% of their existence. Unlike the other clubs particularly in the top half of the table who in recent memory rubbed shoulders on a regular basis with the big boys in the Prem so know that their clubs have what it takes to get there, we spend year after year yo yoing between the 2nd and 3rd division.

In essence, I think our fans are far more patient than any others because of unfulfilled potential  and particularly fans aged over say 50 are simply worn down because of it. Therefore the notion that everyone should celebrate another collapse at the business end of the season is unrealistic. I know that the ground looks nice and we appear to be settled as a top ten side but human nature being what it is some will see an opportunity lost, or worse, not really gone after.

Never mind, we go again as they say..

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

This photo has actually made me really smile. So glad they got to see how pissed off fans are this year. Nearly 600quid plus thousands in beer and travel and they win 7 times at home and quite frankly were poor all season at home

1. I suspect a majority of fans have enough sense to appreciate that on balance this has been a successful season ahead of expectation.  Unlike yourself I wouldn't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself, but I am confident my own view far more closely represents the consensus than your particular brand of nonsense.

2. You didn't need to spend £600 on a season ticket, nor did you have to spend thousands on beer and travel, and your expenditure does not come with any guarantees about any number of wins.

3. They won 8 times at home - actually more than they lost, and they finished with a positive goal difference.  Our home form was clearly disappointing, but not quite the disaster some would suggest.

4. Grow up.

4 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

This picture is bull !!

There were lots of people still in the ground at the end of the game - this picture was clearly taken after the players had walked past the Dolman stand hence why it is emptying !!

No idea why you would post such rubbish? Fishing for a wind up, or was it taken by someone else and sent to you?

Either complete BS and misleading for no reason !

The picture isn't bull but if I could have worked out to edit a title after posting I would have done ....along the lines of "Why not hang around and give the team some love!"?

I can confirm it was my picture taken impromptuly and purely for personal reasons that I thought the rainbow over the top of the stadium gave a prophetic feel to the team and perhaps for next season (old romantic). However at the time I was also definitely underwhelmed by the fans exodus when in my mind it is traditional, come what may, that the team and manager/staff have a lap of honour and applaud the support and that appreciation is reciprocated. It wasn't empty and it wasn't taken at the final whistle as I have explained on several responses since. However the picture gives a pretty fair indication of the level support left in the stands and I think most who remained were as disappointed as I was that the vast majority couldn't hang around a while longer and show some appreciation.

What I find more refreshing it that most got this and have discussed what may or may not be behind the lack of connection with the club. It is not about individuals or why they leave it is about the collective - 23,500 City fans (assuming 2k Derby) and perhaps 3-4000 stayed on to applaud their team and in what most would assume to be the last home game of the season.  Maybe I have skewed memories but I pretty sure we had more fans stay behind in our relegation seasons!

Archived