IGNORED

Empty stadium at final whistle

hantsred

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I never go for a bevvy at HT myself and hung around long after for both the Derby and the shitfest Reading games had finished but don't you think that if the team was really going for it at the time, a very large proportion of those who disappeared would have stayed in their seats ?

I don't personally get the hype about how much we dominated Derby incidentally. We were certainly the better team but they will have had much rougher rides away from home this season. Lots of tippy tappy play in front of them contributed to the atmosphere amongst a nervous crowd, following a few matches of sketchy form thinking "here we go again".

City fans are no different from any other set of fans in the championship, with the exception that very few others have been so consistently shite for 90% of their existence. Unlike the other clubs particularly in the top half of the table who in recent memory rubbed shoulders on a regular basis with the big boys in the Prem so know that their clubs have what it takes to get there, we spend year after year yo yoing between the 2nd and 3rd division.

In essence, I think our fans are far more patient than any others because of unfulfilled potential  and particularly fans aged over say 50 are simply worn down because of it. Therefore the notion that everyone should celebrate another collapse at the business end of the season is unrealistic. I know that the ground looks nice and we appear to be settled as a top ten side but human nature being what it is some will see an opportunity lost, or worse, not really gone after.

Never mind, we go again as they say..

Thanks, interesting post. I think we were pushing close to half time though. Certainly we’ve also conceded a couple of times very early in the second half where the stands are half empty. Who knows if it would have made a difference, but it is definitely a recurring theme.

1 hour ago, windmillhillred said:

Thanks, interesting post. I think we were pushing close to half time though. Certainly we’ve also conceded a couple of times very early in the second half where the stands are half empty. Who knows if it would have made a difference, but it is definitely a recurring theme.

Fair comment about early second half, which appears to be a common trend across English football particularly in the posh/hospitality seats at international and big Prem games. Not sure how we get around it as the club wants to maximise revenue, but whilst I think its fair do's if someone wants to leave early provided they do it when there's a break in play, large numbers rocking up en masse 5 minutes into the second half ought to be avoided if possible..

7 hours ago, hantsred said:

The picture isn't bull but if I could have worked out to edit a title after posting I would have done ....along the lines of "Why not hang around and give the team some love!"?

I can confirm it was my picture taken impromptuly and purely for personal reasons that I thought the rainbow over the top of the stadium gave a prophetic feel to the team and perhaps for next season (old romantic). However at the time I was also definitely underwhelmed by the fans exodus when in my mind it is traditional, come what may, that the team and manager/staff have a lap of honour and applaud the support and that appreciation is reciprocated. It wasn't empty and it wasn't taken at the final whistle as I have explained on several responses since. However the picture gives a pretty fair indication of the level support left in the stands and I think most who remained were as disappointed as I was that the vast majority couldn't hang around a while longer and show some appreciation.

What I find more refreshing it that most got this and have discussed what may or may not be behind the lack of connection with the club. It is not about individuals or why they leave it is about the collective - 23,500 City fans (assuming 2k Derby) and perhaps 3-4000 stayed on to applaud their team and in what most would assume to be the last home game of the season.  Maybe I have skewed memories but I pretty sure we had more fans stay behind in our relegation seasons!

Hmmmm.

The rainbow. Right. That took ages to explain.....?

Anyway here’s one I took for you tonight ?

Always have hope!

068A25A2-0AC8-4BE2-8536-E479E50F3828.jpeg

17 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Hmmmm.

The rainbow. Right. That took ages to explain.....?

Anyway here’s one I took for you tonight ?

Always have hope!

068A25A2-0AC8-4BE2-8536-E479E50F3828.jpeg

yep you win the better 'action' photo comp but why are you still reading my shit?

On 30/04/2019 at 10:36, JamesBCFC said:

Lee has in the past sprinted across the length of the pitch and had to be pulled away from the referee.....

....that certainly couldn’t have been when he was a player!! .....(feel the need to point out here that I’m only joking so the millennial snowflakes won’t get offended and run to their safe spaces ...)

Archived