IGNORED

Now that the dust has settled.....over to you Steve

Andy082005

Well I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I left a game hurting as much as I did yesterday. Its been  a long time I can tell you.  The lads gave absolutely everything on that pitch, we couldn't have asked for any more.  Was the referee poor yesterday? yes. As was the referee that we had vs Villa, and you could even argue the ref had a shocker in the Derby v QPR game last week....but now the dust has settled, the reason we haven't made the play-offs is we have just not been good enough over the course of the season, especially at home

I know I am normally construed as the negative one on this forum, but I will be first to say that the other thing this season has proved, is what a fantastic coach Lee Johnson is.  What he has done with some players this year, especially following on from what he done with players like Bobby Reid and Bryan etc, has been fantastic.  Do I think he will ever become a 'Top manager'?.....a manager who can manage the big occasions and pressures? I honestly don't know, however his stock and profile  has certainly risen over the last 18 months and he is proven himself to be a very good coach.

Which leads me on to pre-season.  I genuinely believe this is the first pre-season LJ has had since he joined us where he now holds all the cards, rather then all the cards being held by the board and Lansdown.  Many could argue with how last season petered out and ended, he was fortunate to keep his job.  I certainly don't think he went into last pre- season in a position where he could make certain requests / demands when it come down to money.  This pre-season is completely different. 

Again, I've always been one to push the argument for needing to invest in more experience, however I have loved the fact we have loaned from Premier League clubs the last couple of years.  Some have been exceptional for us.  I hope we continue to do this, HOWEVER, its time to back Johnson with some serious money now or face losing him.  He said something in his interview the other day about next year, and how he is happy here as long as both him, and the club, continue to meet each others ambitions.

There are plenty of fans who just don't think LJ will leave no matter what.  My personal opinion is LJ's ambitions are starting to out grow the clubs.  Now as I said, whether he will go on to prove himself a top manager I don't know, but for the first pre-season since he joined us I think there will be other clubs willing to take a chance on him and give him a better budget to work on 

This summer will really tell us how ambitious this club and its owner really are....over to you Mr Lansdown

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Well I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I left a game hurting as much as I did yesterday. Its been  a long time I can tell you.  The lads gave absolutely everything on that pitch, we couldn't have asked for any more.  Was the referee poor yesterday? yes. As was the referee that we had vs Villa, and you could even argue the ref had a shocker in the Derby v QPR game last week....but now the dust has settled, the reason we haven't made the play-offs is we have just not been good enough over the course of the season, especially at home

I know I am normally construed as the negative one on this forum, but I will be first to say that the other thing this season has proved, is what a fantastic coach Lee Johnson is.  What he has done with some players this year, especially following on from what he done with players like Bobby Reid and Bryan etc, has been fantastic.  Do I think he will ever become a 'Top manager'?.....a manager who can manage the big occasions and pressures? I honestly don't know, however his stock and profile  has certainly risen over the last 18 months and he is proven himself to be a very good coach.

Which leads me on to pre-season.  I genuinely believe this is the first pre-season LJ has had since he joined us where he now holds all the cards, rather then all the cards being held by the board and Lansdown.  Many could argue with how last season petered out and ended, he was fortunate to keep his job.  I certainly don't think he went into last pre- season in a position where he could make certain requests / demands when it come down to money.  This pre-season is completely different. 

Again, I've always been one to push the argument for needing to invest in more experience, however I have loved the fact we have loaned from Premier League clubs the last couple of years.  Some have been exceptional for us.  I hope we continue to do this, HOWEVER, its time to back Johnson with some serious money now or face losing him.  He said something in his interview the other day about next year, and how he is happy here as long as both him, and the club, continue to meet each others ambitions.

There are plenty of fans who just don't think LJ will leave no matter what.  My personal opinion is LJ's ambitions are starting to out grow the clubs.  Now as I said, whether he will go on to prove himself a top manager I don't know, but for the first pre-season since he joined us I think there will be other clubs willing to take a chance on him and give him a better budget to work on 

This summer will really tell us how ambitious this club and its owner really are....over to you Mr Lansdown

You are right Lee does hold all the cards. This is his club as he calls it but he will get to a point where he will get itchy feet if his ambitions are not matched.

Absolutely up to SL now yo support him in the transfer window with some quality.

Sign up Dasilva, seriously consider Kalas.....then get your striker cam holding cdm....and not from Cheltenham and Scunthorpe.

The crux of the squad is there just a handful of additions required 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Hmmmm........

LJ was appointed to implement SLs strategy of building a squad with a combination of home developed players and experience capable of reaching the PL and one of the reasons that he wasn’t sacked when City flirting with the DZ.

So far LJ has done a pretty good job and having got so close to the top six this season it now puts added  pressure on both LJ and SL to strengthen over the summer to be even more competitive next season,. Absolutely no doubt that players have already been targeted as the club prefers  to do business early in the summer window.

It won’t necessarily be the transfer fees but the question of whether will SL agree to the wages that decent midfielders and strikers demand.  It’s obvious to everyone that City need strengthening particularly in those areas so time will tell.

Btw - LJ openly admits that he’s ambitious and wants to manage in the PL........with Bristol City. Personally I can’t see him choosing to go anywhere. He’s the Holloway version of Bristol City in as much he’s 100% through and through..

Often disagreed with you over the years @Andy082005, but couldn't agree more with this post. Spot on.

Like you I read much the same into that interview with Lee the other day. And I think all the talk on here about whether Fulham, Brighton etc would match his ambitions miss a vital thing. I think he's just as likely to look abroad for his next job. 

At the same time, I think he knows a promotion on his CV would help! So he'll be making the same case to SL as you make I suspect! 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmmm........

LJ was appointed to implement SLs strategy of building a squad with a combination of home developed players and experience capable of reaching the PL and one of the reasons that he wasn’t sacked when City flirting with the DZ.

So far LJ has done a pretty good job and having got so close to the top six this season it now puts added  pressure on both LJ and SL to strengthen over the summer to be even more competitive next season,. Absolutely no doubt that players have already been targeted as the club prefers  to do business early in the summer window.

It won’t necessarily be the transfer fees but the question of whether will SL agree to the wages that decent midfielders and strikers demand.  It’s obvious to everyone that City need strengthening particularly in those areas so time will tell.

Btw - LJ openly admits that he’s ambitious and wants to manage in the PL........with Bristol City. Personally I can’t see him choosing to go anywhere. He’s the Holloway version of Bristol City in as much he’s 100% through and through..

And that's still the right approach; we clearly aren't going to do a Fulham or a Villa. But we need to be able to mix it up a bit, and the time is right to pay something more for just the one or two positions you've very referred to elsewhere, and ensure we get a bit of quality at this level. Not just midfield and attack. Keeping Kalas would be a massive statement of intent I think.

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And that's still the right approach; we clearly aren't going to do a Fulham or a Villa. But we need to be able to mix it up a bit, and the time is right to pay something more for just the one or two positions you've very referred to elsewhere, and ensure we get a bit of quality at this level. Not just midfield and attack. Keeping Kalas would be a massive statement of intent I think.

@Robbored what this chap says. I don't think and don't want us to stray from our strategy completely....but it needs to be adjusted 

You look at Cardiff last year and Sheffield United this year. That little bit of investment at the right time saw them kick on and go up 

Hopefully we get our business done nice and early 

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

As much as most of us would love to see Kalas join us on a contract I seriously doubt that’ll happen. Other clubs, including some in the SPL are so say interested in his signature, plus would Chelsea allow him to leave and would he want to stay at AG if Chelsea allowed him to leave?

City have an option to sign Dasilva - if he wants to stay at AG.

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

@Robbored what this chap says. I don't think and don't want us to stray from our strategy completely....but it needs to be adjusted 

You look at Cardiff last year and Sheffield United this year. That little bit of investment at the right time saw them kick on and go up 

You don't need to convince me Andy - I completely agree with you.

Im sure that SL will agree  that the squad needs added quality and would fund (within reason) any requests that LJ may have made but the wages could be the stumbling block.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As much as most of us would love to see Kalas join us on a contract I seriously doubt that’ll happen. Other clubs, including some in the SPL are so say interested in his signature, plus would Chelsea allow him to leave and would he want to stay at AG if Chelsea allowed him to leave?

Cant see us getting Kalas unfortunately. Da Silva could be a struggle to as let's be honest, he's been fantastic. Why wouldn't other top clubs in this division be looking at his performances this season and considering him

If we are going to sign these lads. It will be done early  

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Often disagreed with you over the years @Andy082005, but couldn't agree more with this post. Spot on.

Like you I read much the same into that interview with Lee the other day. 

Was thinking exactly the same on both points above.

@Andy082005 - agree with everything you put and more so given your magnanimous comment about being construed as the negative one!! Forgive me as I have at times got that impression but more power to you for acknowledging it and I can't argue with a word you've said and I feel exactly the same. 

I also came away from yesterday more hurt than I can remember since a relegation (and even those have a habit of being over before they are too painful). It actually felt like I had a tear in my eye (though that may have been grit blown by the bloody wind) and a hollowed out feeling as I left Ashton Gate.

Odd really as I expected much much less from this season but like you I have had my LJ epiphany and have warmed to him far more this season than any before. The results away from home were the best in my lifetime. And it is because of that, that I'd become convinced there would be a reward from it.

It's probably that which is driving my pain. I simply can't imagine us winning at Birmingham, Forest, Stoke, Sheff Utd (or equivalent of!), Middlesbrough, Swansea, Blackburn and Brentford all in one season again, and to end up with nothing to show for it is utterly crushing. I saw the same in LJ's interview as you.

First, kudos to Andy082005 for coming on here and admitting LJ has changed his mind.

My point is that (even in football where loyalty is rare) I would still be disappointed if LJ went somewhere else, especially to a Championship team. 2 years ago SL showed incredible loyalty to him , and the end of last season (and times this) form has taken a downturn. I would hope we get at least 1 more season from him for this reason alone.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

First part, probably.

He's been at Chelsea 9 years and made 2 league appearences, with the change to the loan rules limiting the number of over 21 year old players a club can send on loan his worth as a cash cow for them is dwindling.

Second part, maybe.

He is unhappy at Chelsea and has previously compared himself to a training cone that they move around as and when they want to. Whether he'd take enough of a pay cut to be in our budget is another question. Depends on what the overall package we can offer him is.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Snip

We've clashed a lot, but fair play for saying this.

I did agree with a chunk of your post.

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Any one have any idea what we could spend and still be compliant with the FFP rules?

Assuming we don't generate any money from player sales, and guessing what out of contract players might deduct from the wage bill, if there were released.

@Mr Popodopolous our residential FFP expert might be able to work out a rough ballpark figure. 

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

First part, probably.

He's been at Chelsea 9 years and made 2 league appearences, with the change to the loan rules limiting the number of over 21 year old players a club can send on loan his worth as a cash cow for them is dwindling.

Second part, maybe.

He is unhappy at Chelsea and has previously compared himself to a training cone that they move around as and when they want to. Whether he'd take enough of a pay cut to be in our budget is another question. Depends on what the overall package we can offer him is.

Can see him going to a champions league club in Europe ala Magnússon

53 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I agree with you on this.

The plan is mostly I believe alright...but we have to build in the chance to seize an opportunity when it comes.

Jan 2018 we were close to our limit..I'd accept and agree. Jan 2019? Assombolonga or even Hogan loan could've been justified IMO. That could be seen as not taking an opportunity when it arose.

However to offer a bit of context, approaching that window we had steadied the ship and were improving a bit but in no way playoff contenders.

Throwing a big fee early January and big wages would've been seen as good money after bad- our surge took everyone by surprise.. Including in my view ourselves! IIRC we were linked with Hogan and Assombolonga pretty late in the window, it all seemed a bit of a scramble.

This summer though? We have to utilise that flexibility- spend some more but do it wisely.

I really do think we are a good summer away from a title fight. 

If we secure our back 4 that were so impressive this season (Keep Webo, get Kalas and Jay) and sign up a consistent goalscorer (McBurnie?) there’s no reason that we should only aim for play-offs. 

We can use sales/freed up wages to help fund it (COD/Baker?) but ultimately we need to do whatever it takes to keep those defenders and get the goalscorer. Then we’d be in for an amazing season. 

7The thing for me is that we have now put ourselves in a good position to sign better players. 

A couple seasons ago I could understand a top player being apprehensive about coming here and not wanting to be involved in a relegation battle. A player coming here now can expect a playoff battle as a minimum. LJ has proved he can take players already playing in this league and make them better. We have also shown that if a PL club comes knocking we wont stand I a players way. We have also shown that if a player puts themselves in the first team and gets injured we will honour the additional year. 

I can't think of a single reason a player wouldn't join us if the money was there, we normally compete with Preston, Sheffield U and Brentford for players - we wont be competing with Sheffield U for at least the next 3 seasons and I think we should be ahead of both the others now. We will probably get pipped by Leeds on players now. 

Completely agree with your sentiment and understanding of the situation both Lee, the fans and the staff at the club find themselves in. The ideal time for the playing investment needed was in the build up to the ultimate climax of the season, the owner must take responsibility for not investing correctly to help those mentioned above to achieve their ambition. The question you pose in your post title is spot on, the reality is that  under Lansdown this has fallen short, this is puzzling because Investment would have shown that the owner was wanting the ambition as much as everyone else and for a billionaire 'fan' it's becoming glaringly obvious that he is happy to keep the lid on things.

In analysis - thanks to Lee and the players for a season of effort on the pitch - but raised eyebrows towards the owner as to what he is really wanting. 

Hmmmm. i hope the club continue with their philosophy.

I dont want us to spend big. Norwich and Sheffield United have both just got promoted. Both invested in their youth and found low cost signings. So it can be done.

I have inside knowledge that city are going to be waiting another couple of seasons and really establish themselves in the Championship, before SL loosens the purse strings and increases the wage bracket. 

Also expect Semenyo to feature a lot more next season as an out and out striker. The club think he will be a £10m player. 

Also Goater think we play some nice football but won't go anywhere with FD leading the attack. 

25 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Hmmmm. i hope the club continue with their philosophy.

I dont want us to spend big. Norwich and Sheffield United have both just got promoted. Both invested in their youth and found low cost signings. So it can be done.

Mix of the 2 wouldn't go amiss.

Nobody (well few probably) are saying we should go and do an Aston Villa, Birmingham Derby or a Sheffield Wednesday- but when you have wriggle room, some intent is important too. Plus if we show we are ambitious early, it might help persuade Kalas and Da Silva to stay on.

The way we dismantled Derby for about 10-15 minutes when we were down to 10 men was the proof we all needed that this club has been heading in the right direction over the last two years. The only thing missing was the most important bit which is that quality you need to stick the ball in the back of the net. I actually left the ground Saturday happy with what we did but a touch of sadness that the result didn’t show it.

Take a look at the Derby website. Lampard and co were over the moon with that result and make no mistake they see us as a good side not an over achieving, plucky outfit having an unexpected season.

However, we all know that staying still at this level could see us in a bottom 6 battle rather than a top 6 one next season. As the original poster says if LJ can build on the last two years, even less of the streakiness we still have, maintain our solidity but most importantly sort out that top end of the pitch then we can keep moving forwards.

Over to the investor............

I see no reason why next season we shouldn't seriously push for automatic promotion from the get go.

And I mean sell the vision to the players and new signings.

2019/20 - lets make it our season.

It really is over to Lansdown and the board to back the manager with the players needed.

Crucially though, Lee needs to learn how to consistently win games over the full season, and to break down the stubborn, resolute teams of the league.

Archived