IGNORED

It was even more unlikely in 1988

Corshamred

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I was on the pitch. Back in the days when you didn't face the equivalent of transportation to Van Diemen's Land, for pitch encroachment.

Nothing wrong with Van Dieman's Land.... reasonable climate compared to many parts of Australia and they make cider there??

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I gave up smoking two days before the first leg of the play-off final against Walsall (I’ve never had one since) and almost gave in after what that b*gger Kelly did to us.  Seated in the far block of the Williams, nearest the East End, where, curiously, a young lady used to frequently reveal her assets at half time.

IIRC she was Norwegian ?!

Yes, I remember 1988 very well!  A couple of points:

1)  I was at York that day, and the last minute Ralph Milne "screamer" was very definitely a miss-hit cross which he somehow shanked in.

2)  At the final whistle, me and the two friends I was with did some quick calculations and figured out that we could get to Roker Park for the 7.30 kick-off between Sunderland and Northampton.  As has been said, we needed Northampton to lose pretty much every game and, as it happened, Sunderland were on to secure the Third Division title that night..  We got to Roker to find it packed with 31,000 fans, and were lucky to get in by going through the nearest turnstile and ended up in a home section in the open end behind the goal.  It was a stupid thing to do, but I know for a fact that we were not the only Bristol City fans to do it.  We had only been there a minute or two when a bloke passing in front of us turned to his mate saying "...'ere, it's a bit crowded in 'ere!" in an accent that clearly owed more to Hartcliffe than Hetton-le-Hole.  It was a mercilessly nerve-free evening with Sunderland running out comfortable winners by 3-0 or 3-1.  We shrunk away while the happy Mackems saluted their team's lap of honour with the trophy, and at 10.30 pm were heading south towards Darlington......and an eight-thirty start at British Aerospace the next morning!

Happy times!

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Playoffs.

Have we actually ever won a playoff? I don't mean an individual game, obviously remember them but playoffs so far as promotion- or even in a past format, avoiding the drop?

No.

Three failures at semi final stage.

Three failures at the final.

We don’t have THE worst record, but we aren’t far off it.

(I think Pteston have more failures, but obviously they succeeded in 2015 v Swindle)

15 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

David £u:kin& Kelly!!!  Do I not like that name!!!!

Still haunts me now that name, guess it’s like Windass.

Sheff Utd, wasn’t that the year they did the experiment where the bottom team played the runner up to stay up or something like that. I went to both games and it was a real big thing for us to beat Sheff Utd and relegate them. Look at what they have done since! 

Going back to the Walsall play off, the queues for the tickets, the agony over two games, then as it was tied we had to toss a coin to see who hosted the replay, of course we had to travel up there. The police dogs on the pitch snapping at our players ( Llewelyn ?) as he was trying to take a throw in. I climbed up onto some railings as so squashed in their end, don’t forget this was just a year before a Hillsborough, we were still caged then. The fights...and yes we were slaughtered by David Kelly.

A ew months ago I met the goalkeeping coach of Crewe. I didn’t catch his name but he looked familiar to me, I just couldn’t place him. He was a nice enough bloke, had a chat about football but all the time it was bugging me. Later after a quick google it turns out he was Fred Barber, only the flipping goalkeeper for Walsall *those* matches, no way would I have been quite so nice to him if I had known, but to be fair he didn’t mention the games either, perhaps he really was just being nice. ?

It's obviously unlikely but anything can happen in 2 games, if Derby lose at Swansea and we win at Millwall then it will be 'on' again. There are certainly some strange results at the end of a season, when the Gas went non-league the first time they'd been in the relegation position was after the final match! When we had our first season in Div 1 in the 70's we were rock bottom and looked down and out but a run of good results and we escaped on the last day of the season at Coventry, it can be done.

1 hour ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

If Derby lose both games and we win both, yippee, but if Middlesbrough win home to Rotherham on the final day it will be Boro in the play offs. I can see the former happening but not a chance for Rotherham if Boro still have something  on the game.

Boro are away to Rotherham and should still win, but you never know. 

40 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Boro are away to Rotherham and should still win, but you never know. 

Sorry, missed that, still Rotherham already down and Boro needing to win for the prey off's? Just can't see it happening, but then I never thought the Gas would drop to the Conference so I suppose you are right, anything can happen.

19 hours ago, archie andrews said:

oh yes there was NTB 

I stand corrected by you archie, and other posters!

A season's average of 9,801, but including 18k for Doncaster, then 25k+ for the home legs against both Sheff.Utd and Walsall.

The fans certainly came out in force in those days at the slightest hint of success. Fantastic crowds and atmospheres but all for nothing with that dreadful let down in the 3rd game at Fellows Park.

What an absolutely **** day that was after queuing up early the day before (with a hangover after celebrating the 2-0) to get tickets. :angry:

Our race is run, most likely. However...

Assumed it was same night until someone pointed it out night before but our game at Millwall tomorrow of course but Derby play at Swansea Wednesday.

So if we can win- and it's an absolute must win- that will put a bit of pressure back on Derby.

Their trip to Swansea suddenly carries some added pressure, with not only Middlesbrough level on points but us within a point.

Pressure in football does funny things. I'm a realist for sure but we have to do our bit.

2 wins, then whatever happens, happens.

Or broke down further, win at Millwall. Don't care how, how lucky we are- win at Millwall just to add that element of doubt, of pressure...

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Still haunts me now that name, guess it’s like Windass.

Sheff Utd, wasn’t that the year they did the experiment where the bottom team played the runner up to stay up or something like that. I went to both games and it was a real big thing for us to beat Sheff Utd and relegate them. Look at what they have done since! 

Going back to the Walsall play off, the queues for the tickets, the agony over two games, then as it was tied we had to toss a coin to see who hosted the replay, of course we had to travel up there. The police dogs on the pitch snapping at our players ( Llewelyn ?) as he was trying to take a throw in. I climbed up onto some railings as so squashed in their end, don’t forget this was just a year before a Hillsborough, we were still caged then. The fights...and yes we were slaughtered by David Kelly.

A ew months ago I met the goalkeeping coach of Crewe. I didn’t catch his name but he looked familiar to me, I just couldn’t place him. He was a nice enough bloke, had a chat about football but all the time it was bugging me. Later after a quick google it turns out he was Fred Barber, only the flipping goalkeeper for Walsall *those* matches, no way would I have been quite so nice to him if I had known, but to be fair he didn’t mention the games either, perhaps he really was just being nice. ?

IIRC M, wasn’t a coin toss to decide the venue for the final game. It was yet another penalty shoot out, and surprise surprise, we lost it !

10 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

IIRC M, wasn’t a coin toss to decide the venue for the final game. It was yet another penalty shoot out, and surprise surprise, we lost it !

Yup, you are right now I think about it. Down the other end away from us away fans, could hardly see a think. I think I must have blanked out bad memories ?

I wouldn't rule it out completely. Obviously we must win both of our remaining games, that's a given. But let's say hypothetically that we do....

Derby away at Swansea and home to West Brom is potentially 0 points, even if they draw one of those it won't be enough...

Middlesbrough away at Rotherham won't be as easy as people are thinking, yes they're down but i'm sure they'll want to put on a display for their fans in their last home game in the Championship. Don't forget also that they have recently been leading games against; West Brom, Birmingham, Swansea, Villa and Forest and came from 2 goals down to draw away at Stoke.

It's a long shot, but a long shot is better than no shot at all.

23 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

This has made me feel a tad better after yesterday’s disappointment ?

On to Millwall with the other 1400 Reds on Tuesday night - let’s get the three points and put the pressure back on Derby cos I know who I would rather play on the last day and it’s not WBA

Can we do it??

Don't forget Boro only have to beat Rotherham.

Cracking game city v doncaster,

wasnt a spare place on the east end that day or around the ground.

Quite a few games i recall the attendence being given out in the 80s and the crowd laughing at the figures being given out.

I maybe wrong but im sure it was this game or the end of season walsall game and they admitted they got the gate wrong by 2-3 thousand, then blamed a apprentice manning the turnstile!

39 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Cracking game city v doncaster,

wasnt a spare place on the east end that day or around the ground.

Quite a few games i recall the attendence being given out in the 80s and the crowd laughing at the figures being given out.

I maybe wrong but im sure it was this game or the end of season walsall game and they admitted they got the gate wrong by 2-3 thousand, then blamed a apprentice manning the turnstile!

I have heard that certain turnstiles were detached from the counters,showing that no one entered through those particular stiles.........it was the 80’s......

20 hours ago, 22A said:

Following on from squeaking into the P/Os in 88. 1989 Sheff U won promotion and the following season City did so too!

I remember the City fans singing "straight back down" that day and I believe the following season they went up AGAIN  :laugh:

We sort of got that a bit wrong.

Archived