IGNORED

Heard this a few times from visiting supporters...

spudski

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Still think we should have given away fans half the top tier of the Lansdown. 

Because of how the ground is set up, it would be almost impossible . When the Atyeo is redone things might be able to change, then again wasn't there a movement to give away fans better seats and not have them tucked away in the Gods somewhere ?
To make it work the concourse in the UL would have to be segregated/split somehow, entrances changed etc, and more stairs up. This would, however allow the Dolman concourse to continue to loop all the way around, which would be great. Not sure when the the Atyeo is due for an up grade, but until then I can't see things changing.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

To make it work the concourse in the UL would have to be segregated/split somehow, entrances changed etc, 

Ipswich and P'boro' manage to do that. In turn that means home fans behind both goals and visiting fans may be heard, but never seen by TV cameras.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Because of how the ground is set up, it would be almost impossible . When the Atyeo is redone things might be able to change, then again wasn't there a movement to give away fans better seats and not have them tucked away in the Gods somewhere ?
To make it work the concourse in the UL would have to be segregated/split somehow, entrances changed etc, and more stairs up. This would, however allow the Dolman concourse to continue to loop all the way around, which would be great. Not sure when the the Atyeo is due for an up grade, but until then I can't see things changing.

Certainly not going to be an upgrade in any part of the way people have suggested. Certainly not going to be getting knocked down and rebuilt in any shape or form. The Arena and the surrounding complex will be built before the Atyeo is touched.

5 hours ago, italian dave said:

Still think we should have given away fans half the top tier of the Lansdown. 

Totally agree...give them the worst view in the house. Top corner of the top tier, and coldest. :laugh:

It really is just too nice at the Gate these days. Which in turn leads to a less 'hostile', vocal environment.

It's such a catch 22....the Club want to attract supporters in an environment that is family orientated, and have them spend money.

But it really does feel like you've entered a shopping Mall, listened to some music, had some food and drink, then settled down nice and cosy to watch...not support or be part of the match.

The only part of the ground where you are going to get some support is section 82 and sometimes behind the goal.

The Dullmoan is now a retirement home...and the lower Lansdown is purely commercial. Upper Lansdown full of kids more interested in how much they can eat in 90 mins.

The way the stadium is set out now doesn't lend itself to a great supportive atmosphere.

41 minutes ago, 22A said:

Ipswich and P'boro' manage to do that. In turn that means home fans behind both goals and visiting fans may be heard, but never seen by TV cameras.

I get the theory, and I do agree. That said, to do that I still think they would need another set of stairs to get away fans to the top tier. Can't see them wanting fans to freely mix inside the ground. As I understand it there is one set of steps and one lift to the top. Not just a case of putting a wall and/or fences up , it is doable I imagine, but a lot of planning for access would be involved . As @RedM said, the focus will be on the next stage of the build before the Atyeo or changes to the Lansdown are even considered.. 

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree...give them the worst view in the house. Top corner of the top tier, and coldest. :laugh:

It really is just too nice at the Gate these days. Which in turn leads to a less 'hostile', vocal environment.

It's such a catch 22....the Club want to attract supporters in an environment that is family orientated, and have them spend money.

But it really does feel like you've entered a shopping Mall, listened to some music, had some food and drink, then settled down nice and cosy to watch...not support or be part of the match.

The only part of the ground where you are going to get some support is section 82 and sometimes behind the goal.

The Dullmoan is now a retirement home...and the lower Lansdown is purely commercial. Upper Lansdown full of kids more interested in how much they can eat in 90 mins.

The way the stadium is set out now doesn't lend itself to a great supportive atmosphere.

Agree with the bulk of that, though Dolman can get going at times.

How was atmosphere Saturday? I couldn't make it but I'm assuming it was good given the stakes of the game, the importance of the occasion.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with the bulk of that, though Dolman can get going at times.

How was atmosphere Saturday? I couldn't make it but I'm assuming it was good given the stakes of the game, the importance of the occasion.

Section 82 were doing their usual stuff...only got noisier after the sending off. Most aimed at the Ref.

Support where I was sat, 8 rows above home dugout was shite. Full of old moaners. Behind SL looked down on the Senate :laugh:

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Section 82 were doing their usual stuff...only got noisier after the sending off. Most aimed at the Ref.

Support where I was sat, 8 rows above home dugout was shite. Full of old moaners. Behind SL looked down on the Senate :laugh:

I assumed it'd be bouncing for a game of that magnitude!

Read elsewhere on here atmosphere decent. Lansdown pretty corporate isn't it? Never going to get it rocking in there.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I assumed it'd be bouncing for a game of that magnitude!

Read elsewhere on here atmosphere decent. Lansdown pretty corporate isn't it? Never going to get it rocking in there.

I've sat in every section this season...apart from 82. It's not good imo. Everything feels Shopping Mall. It just doesn't feel like football anymore.

It's society. The same when you go to a gig. A few people going to watch and enjoy the music/band. The rest having a drink and a chat. It's the same at Ashton Gate.

People going to an 'event' to chat, eat, drink, sit and watch some footy in the background.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've sat in every section this season...apart from 82. It's not good imo. Everything feels Shopping Mall. It just doesn't feel like football anymore.

It's society. The same when you go to a gig. A few people going to watch and enjoy the music/band. The rest having a drink and a chat. It's the same at Ashton Gate.

People going to an 'event' to chat, eat, drink, sit and watch some footy in the background.

Yeah, know what you mean. Some excellent range of food, drink- comfier seats in most of the ground than 5-10, 20 years ago.

Yet...something is lacking. We've had a couple of exceptional and some good atmospheres last 2 years or so- would also add the run in games v Huddersfield, Wolves and Barnsley 2017 against the drop decent. QPR so so. Seems more of an exception than a rule now.

Off to Millwall away Tuesday night. They create a good atmosphere, so too do our away fans.

Unless they've upgraded since last year though...very basic facilities! :laughcont:

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, know what you mean. Some excellent range of food, drink- comfier seats in most of the ground than 5-10, 20 years ago.

Yet...something is lacking. We've had a couple of exceptional and some good atmospheres last 2 years or so- would also add the run in games v Huddersfield, Wolves and Barnsley 2017 against the drop decent. QPR so so. Seems more of an exception than a rule now.

Off to Millwall away Tuesday night. They create a good atmosphere, so too do our away fans. Unless they've upgraded Millwall though, very basic facilities last year!

I'd travel more if I didn't have to watch from behind the goal. Can't afford hospitality every week :laugh:

I honestly believe our fans aren't as passionate in general, as some more 'working class' areas, where football is still the one thing that means everything to the 'common man'.

Not a slight on anyone...just an observation.

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd travel more if I didn't have to watch from behind the goal. Can't afford hospitality every week :laugh:

I honestly believe our fans aren't as passionate in general, as some more 'working class' areas, where football is still the one thing that means everything to the 'common man'.

Not a slight on anyone...just an observation.

I do wonder about that latter bit.. Never done hospitality, not really my scene. Not averse to trying it sometime but...

Think we have plenty of passionate fans though. The hardcore ones definitely. Fanbase has grown a lot over a generation, has it diluted things? Ashton Gate can be pretty noisy though- at times.

However I was listening to Leeds-Aston Villa today as I was up in Yorkshire. Sounded like it was rocking- despite a Sunday kickoff! Not just a Sunday but midday too!

Yet come on here when it's 1.30pm on a Sunday or 1pm on a Sunday and it seems lot of poor atmosphere references.

Mind you I don't like the slot either! Can see why it's flat at those times.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I do wonder about that latter bit... Never done hospitality, not really my scene. Not averse to trying it sometime but.

Think we have plenty of passionate fans though. The hardcore ones definitely. Fanbase has grown a lot over a generation, has it diluted things? Ashton Gate can be pretty noisy though- at times.

However I was listening to Leeds-Aston Villa today as I was up in Yorkshire. Sounded like it was rocking- despite a Sunday kickoff! Not just a Sunday but midday too!

Hospitality is fine...it's better at the Rugby though.

As for 'passion'...True...we have many supporters who are passionate. We wouldn't have such an active and frequented forum if it wasn't.

However...people show 'passion' in different ways. I think our Support...vocally...reflects Bristol as a population in general.

It's very middle class, and doesn't really get vocal until things are going against them. Reactive, rather than Pro active.

Derby arrived at the same place with the same arrangement last season, and were dispatched gloriously. Were we more rude last season? No, we were more "Bobby Reid" last season. 

Bournemouth are nice and polite, they've done okay;  Watford are nice too, fairly polite; Norwich, you could take round your gran's, and she would love them to bits; Reading are nice and innocuous (they've done okay before). Fulham are nicer than nice, politeness personified.

It's about players, and managers/coaches, and people pulling the strings and making the decisions that give us the manager/coaches we get (and the room they have to wriggle within) and most importantly, it's about players. We just need slightly better players, if we can get them.

If being "hostile" and unwelcoming made the difference, Leeds would not be slumming it with us at this level, and Millwall would be Premier League.  

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Spudski

I think you are a bit hard on the Dolman - where I sit. Yes, the the average age of fans might be over 40 but right in front of me and my City mates (all over 60) is a row of five young men - not one of them (almost certainly) 20 years old yet.

And you should have been sat in the Dolman on Saturday to hear most of us joining in with the songs started in section 82.

As for the atmosphere around the stadium since the refurbishment, it is MILES better than the old AG. 

For example, do you remember the old men's toilets in the Dolman ? 

There were games when you could spend the entire half time break queuing for the toilet. 

As you have seen above, I am now an oldie but I much prefer the new AG. 

7 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Spudski

I think you are a bit hard on the Dolman - where I sit. Yes, the the average age of fans might be over 40 but right in front of me and my City mates (all over 60) is a row of five young men - not one of them (almost certainly) 20 years old yet.

And you should have been sat in the Dolman on Saturday to hear most of us joining in with the songs started in section 82.

As for the atmosphere around the stadium since the refurbishment, it is MILES better than the old AG. 

There were games when you could spend the entire half time break queuing for the toilet. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a pleasure to sit and watch and enjoy the new facilities.

However what you describe in the Dolman is a micro environment of the whole stand.

Our Stadium and facilities are fantastic...however they have a negative effect on 'support' imo.

But other factors also come into consideration as I've mentioned elsewhere. All imho of course.

Interesting observations.  To offer my view, I was sat about 12 rows above the dugouts, just a few seats back from the young guy manning the fixed camera, and I thought the atmosphere was pretty good with a decent balance of passion.  On the whole, Ashton Gate is a relatively quiet ground, I would say, with a general reluctance to sing anthems.  This doesn't seem to be anything new, I've always known it to be this way, since first attending from the late 90's on.

I'll tell you what we don't have anymore, the passionate, experienced ring leaders with powerful voices, who would start belting out a classic City song, and everyone else would join in.  Where have all those types gone?  Perhaps now all sat together in the corner of the South Stand.

Some of the songs I knew have gone, like the simple ones, City till I die, Tinnion is a sh*t head, Flying high up in the sky, etc.

We need some of the confident lone-wolf singers to start belting out those again!

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

ashton gate has become a soft touch they are right.....or is it aston gate now?

That is just embarrassing! Like ‘Ayteo’ on the stadium guides outside the South Stand - absolutely appalling standards - we can’t correctly spell the name of our Stadium or our greatest ever player ....

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Interesting observations.  To offer my view, I was sat about 12 rows above the dugouts, just a few seats back from the young guy manning the fixed camera, and I thought the atmosphere was pretty good with a decent balance of passion.  On the whole, Ashton Gate is a relatively quiet ground, I would say, with a general reluctance to sing anthems.  This doesn't seem to be anything new, I've always known it to be this way, since first attending from the late 90's on.

I'll tell you what we don't have anymore, the passionate, experienced ring leaders with powerful voices, who would start belting out a classic City song, and everyone else would join in.  Where have all those types gone?  Perhaps now all sat together in the corner of the South Stand.

Some of the songs I knew have gone, like the simple ones, City till I die, Tinnion is a sh*t head, Flying high up in the sky, etc.

We need some of the confident lone-wolf singers to start belting out those again!

You were sat very close to me then. Funny how observations are so polar opposite...because it was awful where I was sat.

You were near the short guy giving high pitched whistles and dogs abuse to the ref and Lampard...the one guy going ballistic amongst all sea of meh!!! ???

All the excellent hard work the club has done on the upper landsown stand 'family Area' would be ruined if half gave to away fans. It would also be a logistical nightmare.

Myself and my kids switched their this season and it's exactly what I wanted. Plenty for kids to do, quiz, meet the players and a lovely view to watch the game. 

I also attend many away games and I don't like it or think it acceptable that clubs treat the away fans differently or put them in the crap seats considering the effort they've gone to to attend the match. 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Perhaps if City won at home occasionally, it might improve!

A lot of reverse snobbery here. The middle classes - any class - are just as feral as the lot. Look at Varsity students; look at what some Lords get up to. Prawn sandwich is a joke.

Class need not be brought in to it nor relative comfort. It is incumbent upon everyone to create an atmosphere. 

I don’t accept AG represents a class division. Id say it is representative of the city of Bristol as whole - a totally apathetic place where the local council have for years, decades even, laughed at how far they can push their incompetence without genuine challenge.

As for Rugby, not sure what different games we have seen but a more placid, hands on bums quiet with an occasionally Irene-esque Durge is ‘Bristoooooooool’ or backseat kncuckle-dragging coaching have I seen. I certainly wouldn’t hold that as a bastion of atmosphere we ought recreate for football. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

There was that other guy too- I remember him from the Atyeo initially- he probably moved to East End when it reopened mainly.

"C"-" I"-"T"-"Y"

"CITY!" *clap clap clap* "CITY!" *clap clap clap*

Perhaps it was same guy who started those chants, don't fully recall but I do recall that chant starter as mentioned above!

Maybe didn't get chant entirely right but was definitely call and response, with him leading the way.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

It’s the design of the stadium and it’s impact on the acoustics. I’m sure of it.

As a London based supporter I can’t commit to a season ticket (6 hour round trip in the car etc.) so for the more popular games that I can attend, I often end up in the Lansdown

1. Can we take the roof off the Atyeo or do something to stop the sound box effect of the the away fans?  I mostly go to away games and we are always loud so I accept the difference in per supporter noise of away fans is higher, but the architecture makes them louder than they are, amplifying their effort, whereas s28 are left singing to the heavens with no sound reverberating around the ground or reflection back to the other fans at all

2. Knock on effect is that when I want to sing or try to join in - notwithstanding the families around me - or the Dolman tries to get going  -  it just dries up. You end up as that loon out there on your own. I really think it’s the design with regard to sound. 

I’ve been to a few stadia around world on  business trips and most seem to get it wrong on terms of sound. Compare most to somewhere like Selhurst Park and there is no contest 

3. I don’t mind the shopping mall effect around the game or the families to be honest. It’s the only way we will grow our support base and the day out is what most sports do. It’s not to my taste and I know what you are getting at in terms of taking the edge off but I reckon the kids would get carried away and involved if we could get the acoustics right.

Did I mention the acoustics?

10 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

Spudski

Yes my experience of the Dolman is similar, maybe not the first to start songs but certainly join in and are as passionate and vocal than any in the singing section, and they seem the only ones who ever come out with any credit for atmosphere.

There are plenty of all ages near me, not many women I must admit but that doesn’t matter to me at all, think that’s a football crowd in general. The youngest near me is probably about 11 years old with his Dad, seen him grow up over the years, he must pay a premium for his seat as there aren’t any child priced seats in the Dolman are there? I wouldn’t have sat in a Family Area with my kids either.

There are a few teenage girls, loads of 20 something lads but the majority of people near me are 40-60 I would guess with a few slightly older. Certainly not the old doddery pension taking fan it seems to have the reputation for. We certainly don’t sit there quietly clapping either with blankets across our knees.

Some people I have recognised from years and years ago, many have stood in the old Eastend when it was a traditional hardcore home end, not some group with a drum and a song or two. 

Sorry if this is harsh, but I get fed up with the we are better fans than you as we sing a bit type of argument. Come back when you have experienced 40 years of hurt.

Archived